IGNORED

Gregor

AshtonRobin21

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

We have no proof he wasn't wrong with Jamie or Holden.  WTF are you on about.  If G McG said the tooth fairy existed it seems you would agree.

There appears to be a large contingent at the moment who fit that category @BigTone!!

My guess was that when he was told Holden had got the job he assumed Smith would be staying, being known to DH and thus more likely to stay than if a new manager came in. Thus perhaps taking a punt on the tweet.

What has annoyed me with GM's reporting over the last few weeks is that  as it became more and more apparent to him that Holden might be manager he kept posing, re-tweeting and writing over the top positive things about why it was a good move for the club to point DH over CH. Payers like him, impressed in the last few weeks - even though I am not sure how given the opposition and overall win record (taking away an immediate positive bounce effect that so often happens after a sacking). He never really noted of the issues and negatives of such a decisions nor the contradictions to past comments and stated goals by the club. 

I guess he knows he needs access to the manager and didn't want to alienate that by pushing the Hughton card even though it was what fans and general logic would suggest was a more sensible move- bar financial reasons. If anything he did the opposite to diminish the logic of appointing a Hughton type through his tweets, retweets and articles. I certainly didn't see much balance once it came clear Holden was more likely to get the job.

Do I hold it against him? Not really. He works for the paper, not for the fans.  All it showed time was the power clubs have over local journalists as ultimately their careers and paper sales are linked to accessibility to a football club and manager and I don't think GM wanted to lose that through upsetting Ashton and Holden. And I completely understand that, but frustrating, 

Several people on this thread seem to assume that the City reporter on the local paper relies on one secret mole-like source for all of his stories. 

I'm sure he gets passed information by agents, players, players parents, and so on, from time to time, but mostly he'll be in touch with the club's press office and they'll confirm or deny stories, give updates both on and off the record, and so on.

That is the job. He'll be talking to club comms people on a daily basis. Most of his updates will be a result of those conversations.

Given that he relies on friendly relations with the club to do his job, he'll also be reluctant to publish stories that upset the club. He'll only do so if he's very confident in what he's got and only after offering the club an opportunity to comment.

The Smith tweet seems like an anomaly to me - perhaps the result of bad information from someone, such as an agent, and the club failing to give the truth when approached for comment, for whatever reason.

3 minutes ago, Red & Gold said:

My guess was that when he was told Holden had got the job he assumed Smith would be staying, being known to DH and thus more likely to stay than if a new manager came in. Thus perhaps taking a punt on the tweet.

What has annoyed me with GM's reporting over the last few weeks is that  as it became more and more apparent to him that Holden might be manager he kept posing, re-tweeting and writing over the top positive things about why it was a good move for the club to point DH over CH. Payers like him, impressed in the last few weeks - even though I am not sure how given the opposition and overall win record (taking away an immediate positive bounce effect that so often happens after a sacking). He never really noted of the issues and negatives of such a decisions nor the contradictions to past comments and stated goals by the club. 

I guess he knows he needs access to the manager and didn't want to alienate that by pushing the Hughton card even though it was what fans and general logic would suggest was a more sensible move- bar financial reasons. If anything he did the opposite to diminish the logic of appointing a Hughton type through his tweets, retweets and articles. I certainly didn't see much balance once it came clear Holden was more likely to get the job.

Do I hold it against him? Not really. He works for the paper, not for the fans.  All it showed time was the power clubs have over local journalists as ultimately their careers and paper sales are linked to accessibility to a football club and manager and I don't think GM wanted to lose that through upsetting Ashton and Holden. And I completely understand that, but frustrating, 

It was common knowledge that Korey was leaving weeks ago. There were threads on here discussing it  !!!

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

It was common knowledge that Korey was leaving weeks ago. There were threads on here discussing it  !!!  You are correct in much that you say though

3 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

At least he would get a pound under his pillow 

I'd pound his feckin head

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

any good journo worth their salt will never reveal their souce as it proves them untrustworthy 

Correct. There’s a moral obligation not to reveal confidential sources and that only changes if the source is happy to go on record and be cited. 

It’s pretty clear GMG has been fed some false information and has been burnt. He probably won’t trust that source again. 

5 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

i think he has done a good job keeping the fans updated. if he gets the odd story wrong so what.  At least he is trying. its a pity lansdown and Ashton can't keep the fans informed. keep up the good work Gregor. 

Yes I agree. I did twit about sources but on the whole I think he’s been pretty decent. 

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Wasn't wrong with Jamie

Wasn't wrong with Holden

We don't have any proof if the other claims are real or not

Well that's conclusive then isn't it!

If you want more breaking news which you can trust then head over to football rumours, pretty sure they are as legit as the post.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I got the impression from Gregor’s initial tweet that Macca might be the true source, but he got it via a 3rd party, possibly the scout mentioned (not named)  in the tweet.  2+2, not sure if 4 or 5 though.

Definitely not from the scout McGregor referenced. 
I’d seen a copy of a message from that scout and he was as astonished as anyone at Macca’s departure. So he definitely knew nothing, so 100% wouldn’t be a source on the matter. 

11 minutes ago, RedHienz said:

If you want more breaking news which you can trust then head over to football rumours, pretty sure they are as legit as the post.

You don't think Jamie mac has been sacked?

And you don't think Holden has been offered the job?

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

We have no proof he wasn't wrong with Jamie or Holden.  WTF are you on about.  If G McG said the tooth fairy existed it seems you would agree.

I've been offline all day, so in fairness missed the korey news following BP telling us he'd signed.

So, he's got that one wrong. I stand corrected

Apologies

By the way..... What do you mean about the tooth fairy?? You're not telling me she's not real are you!!!

21 minutes ago, RedHienz said:

I was wrong, just saw the KS news.

Apologies. I'll.bacl down on this one

Gregor is being fed this info from someone at the club, I have no doubt he is honest in that what he reports that he’s been told. 

The question should be is this the club leaking it or an individual? I don’t know what I’d rather think, the club using him or an individual feeding duff info.

I’d rather think the club is being clever and this is all part of a masterplan, however, I doubt that.

I think this is just incompetence from the club.

8 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

He had literally got nothing right in recent weeks . Nothing we can prove anyway 

He is being fed bum information. The Gerrard story was another one 

No it wasn't.

There's a huge difference between 'official approach' and a chat between 2 people who use the same agent - Wasserman - (Gerrard and Ashton both use this group.)

Gerrard was interested - but not for long.

GMacG was 100% correct.

11 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I feel for the guy at the moment. Seems to have been given some misleading info. Wonder if the club has taken exception to one of his articles during the manager search. 

It's his job to report what he is told from sources. He has been the only form of communication us fans have had over the past 5 weeks. Seems a genuine guy who wants fans to be fully up to date with the current goings on at Ashton Gate. However, after reading some of the replies he gets on twitter, the poor bloke gets slated. 

I now wonder how accurate the information he has been given regarding Holden is. 

I think the guy has always been fair in his comments & answered questions to the best of his knowledge. Definitely doesn't deserve to be slated by the misfortune few for doing the best he can with information received.

7 hours ago, Matthew me said:

I've been offline all day, so in fairness missed the korey news following BP telling us he'd signed.

So, he's got that one wrong. I stand corrected

Apologies

By the way..... What do you mean about the tooth fairy?? You're not telling me she's not real are you!!!

I was wrong, just saw the KS news.

Apologies. I'll.bacl down on this one

No of course not, she continues to live a life of luxury along with the Easter Bunny

I said this on another thread but I like to think the club is giving the media the run around. Trouble is, those that believe what they write think they are getting the run around as well. I’ve always thought that the media should be used as a way of sending our competition off the scent i.e. make it look like you’re after one player or manager but go after another. Press wouldn’t think twice about spreading rumours so we should use them to our advantage. 

What’s happening in this instance though is that the club are not saying anything. That’s leading fans to jump to conclusions based on what’s trending on Twitter etc. I’m much more sceptical. I feel like Gregor has pretty much reported on every possible outcome all so he can break the story with “As previously reported in the post Dean Holden/ Chris Hughton/ Steven Gerrard has been appointed Head Coach....”

Archived