IGNORED

maybe why SL has gone "cheap"

Sweeneys Penalties

2 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Premiership Club...potential top 4 finish...sort of narrows it down a bit 

Because of points system in rugby 11 of the 12 teams can finish top 4 and top 8 teams will all fancy their chances, even top 9 - the league could change massively with 1 or 2 rounds of fixtures so it cannot be presumed it is a current top 4 side.

They are pretty open about how they work with the salary cap. Some astute signings at Championship teams on lower salaries, players not getting opportunity at their clubs for good value (Thacker etc) plus the odd marquee signing. Pat is pretty hands on with it & is one of the reasons they didn’t get Genge despite Genge saying on the phone to him ‘but for £500k you get the best prop in the prem Bab’ he doesn’t believe in overpaying players apart from unless they are really worth it, not just on the pitch, the culture etc. I’d be extremely surprised if it’s Bris

33 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

trouble.jpg

Pretty certain it is not Bristol. Pat Lam spoke some time ago about knowing what you can spend and staying within the budget. Plus many of the players were signed from the league below the Premiership or have developed at the club 

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Can you imagine. We appoint a woefully under-qualified first team coach to bail out mismanagement of the rugby team. I’m so done with this club at the moment, I almost want it to be true.

I don't understand what difference that would make- two separate entities and fines are the least of a clubs concern if found in breach- just ask Saracens!

Mind you, their breach was pretty egregious to say the least- the idea of it being Bristol I find hard to believe!

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Can you imagine. We appoint a woefully under-qualified first team coach to bail out mismanagement of the rugby team. I’m so done with this club at the moment, I almost want it to be true.

No  I can't imagine. What has the cost of City's coach got to do with the rugby club's salary cap?

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't understand what difference that would make- two separate entities and fines are the least of a clubs concern if found in breach- just ask Saracens!

Just now, Fatalist said:

No  I can't imagine. What has the cost of City's coach got to do with the rugby club's salary cap?

I’m not saying it’s true. I don’t know enough about the financial intricacies of Bristol Sport and I’m sure you’re right to say there is no connection between the two in reality.

I’m just saying, if it was true, the fallout and toxicity of Holden’s appointment would somehow be even bigger!

Pretty sure the salary cap for L1/2 doesn't include staff wages so as long as it complied with some sort of adjusted FFP which I assume would remain to prevent things like Rooney player/coach roles to get round it. So shouldn't be a reason as to why you'd go cheaper on a coach.

2 hours ago, Meh said:

Good spot and with ? resources there will be many who will presume the same but SL made his fortune by meticulous finance attention to detail - I just can’t see mistakes being made on this front.

This. I will be mega pissed off with the lansdowns if it’s Holden as seems to be the way it’s heading but I’d be amazed if bris or city ever fell foul of prem rugby Salary cap or ffp regs. 

Lansdown will be right on top of both clubs having our house in order on this front.

On 09/08/2020 at 22:44, BS15_RED said:

Bath have a bit of form for breaching the salary cap.

But they have just made an internal appointment for their Head Coach. I think several sports apart from the Premier League in Football, will like us & Bournmouth in Football & Bath in rugby be going down the internal recruitment route. 

1 hour ago, E.G.Red said:

But they have just made an internal appointment for their Head Coach. I think several sports apart from the Premier League in Football, will like us & Bournmouth in Football & Bath in rugby be going down the internal recruitment route. 

It seems to be a bit more of a "thing" in rugby generally, although I agree that more clubs will be going down that route in the current climate.

Archived