IGNORED

Keith Downing in talks and Simpson

JonDolman

10 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Over complication. LJ worried about the odd 2 or 3% but forgot the 97. The same is happening again.

I never get this argument. Our style of play under LJ last season was not notably sophisticated or complex, feels a bit of a cliché.

The number of times we were outnumbered in CM, outmanouvered whatever us a prime example!

I urge fans from a tactical and technical angle to watch our opening day loss to Leeds. Their style of play, more complex, more sophisticated. Ours certainly was not! 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NlGHTMARE said:

It’s not just the head coach, it’s the recruitment team also, Billy Beane will the playing a big part in that too, he’s done all this data analysis lead recruitment in baseball before he got involved with us. 

Is it a case of impressive coach and recruitment but poor players, or quite good in all areas?

Or players with some talent but lacking experience and nous combined with impressive coach and recruitment?

3 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

It’s not just the head coach, it’s the recruitment team also, Billy Beane will the playing a big part in that too, he’s done all this data analysis lead recruitment in baseball before he got involved with us. 

Sounds like a comic book...  Billy Beane, on adventures with his pals, Peter Pea and Colin Cucumber!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Looking at the ages of many of your squad, you're only going to get better.

Seems like the centre back Struber brought in from his previous club helped a lot from from January window.

That big centre back as well that I think was already with you. Mads Anderson is it? He seems to be improving and very young for a centre back.

I like the formation and the way Struber plays. I'd take him for sure which would obviously not go down too well with your lot! But then I doubt he'd want to even leave anyway as it seems like he's building something there.

People saying this is going to be a weak Championship. I disagree. Some teams will be better like yourselves. Stoke will be. Boro will be. Possibly Huddersfield depending on the new guy and who they can bring in.

Will be as tough as ever.

• Like 1

It seems likely FFP rules will have to be amended to take into account the upheaval to finances of all the Championship clubs due to covid. I don't think a pay cap will get voted for in the Championship but it might. 

Any strategy regarding tranfer fees, player swaps and the like could be deemed totally inappropriate until decisions are made at league level. So bringing in youth team coaches to bring through new talent to generate revenues might be less viable than picking up top quality players at bargain prices in the new covid market place.

We have plenty of you talent waiting  for 1st team action. Some will make it, others will be moved on but until we know the new rules maybe it would have been better to appoint a known head like big Sam on a 1 year contract to support Holden rather than plunging into the youth strategy.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

That was my very first thought when I heard this morning. 
I’d be amazed if Simpson or Downing applied for the vacant role, so it must have been an approach by us. 
So this again throws huge doubt and major questions as to why the ‘amazing applicants from across the world’ comms was trotted out. 

harry,perhaps our hierarchy tell 'fibs' 😱

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I never get this argument. Our style of play under LJ last season was not notably sophisticated or complex, feels a bit of a cliché.

The number of times we were outnumbered in CM, outmanouvered whatever us a prime example!

I urge fans from a tactical and technical angle to watch our opening day loss to Leeds. Their style of play, more complex, more sophisticated. Ours certainly was not! 

Rigid is the word I’d use.  @spudski called it in-natural....I think he meant unnatural!  It had no flow to it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Waiting for the official announcement now......they'll all walk forward like some half arsed tribute boy band.  Holden at the front with his arms folded, Downing and Simpson behind, either side, side on the the camera, looking all serious like and ready for action.  But three older guys in shorts and tee-shirts and long white socks....Maybe with sandles or crocs...who knows....?

And we shall weep.

Sounds like Alan Partridge 

C1604E65-40B2-44BC-98AF-3086E92C5328.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Azed said:

It seems likely FFP rules will have to be amended to take into account the upheaval to finances of all the Championship clubs due to covid. I don't think a pay cap will get voted for in the Championship but it might. 

Any strategy regarding tranfer fees, player swaps and the like could be deemed totally inappropriate until decisions are made at league level. So bringing in youth team coaches to bring through new talent to generate revenues might be less viable than picking up top quality players at bargain prices in the new covid market place.

We have plenty of you talent waiting  for 1st team action. Some will make it, others will be moved on but until we know the new rules maybe it would have been better to appoint a known head like big Sam on a 1 year contract to support Holden rather than plunging into the youth strategy.

If clubs vote on it- surely if they cannot get a required majority for anything, the default remains the default!

Not through a positive decision, more like a lack of consensus for anything else.

Agree, decisions on recruitment or similar will be rather difficult until decisions made at League level.

Big Sam to support Holden seems an idea for sure- DoF, Manager- whatever.

@JonDolman Having looked at accounts and Parachute Payments declining, Stoke may or should be on the cutback list so may come down to whether they can do more with less- Parachute Payments drop by £20m in Year 3, subject to how things get amended of course.

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think one part of this theory is that the players were stricken by a sort of over-coached paralysis. So instead of playing their natural game they were overthinking and in turn became indecisive and hesitant, particularly approaching the final third. They were imprisoned by the patterns. 

Another angle is the possibility that Johnson was so far down his rabbit-hole of percentage gains and tactical edge, that he lost sight of the all important basics. This would lead to us being out-manouvred as you put it.

In general, it's tempting to thing that keeping the plan simple, well-drilled and allowing players to express themselves would have achieved more than the drones, patterns and self-help book rhetoric.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Rigid is the word I’d use.  @spudski called it in-natural....I think he meant unnatural!  It had no flow to it.  

Yep, good word rigid, unnatural also springs to mind.

Forced is another. Definitely no flow or structure- or overarching patterns/combinations for the most part under LJ this season,.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep, good rigid, unnatural all springs to mind.

Forced is another. Definitely no flow or structure- or overarching patterns/combinations for the most part under LJ this season,.

And we so frequently lost possession by going long ('direct'). God knows what pattern that was!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting, could you elaborate?

Salary cap, suspension- year suspension/rolling 2 into 1?

Govt minister is urging Championship clubs to adopt a wage cap. I think he fears that several clubs could succumb without govt help which clearly govt would rather steer clear of.

So, no, I don't know what options are yet because the covid effect is so far reaching. But there could be a radical shake up with some level of govt support in exchange for some handbrake (to use spin slang) on wage to turnover ratio spread over a 2 year period by which time hopefully there will be a vaccine which allows 100% attendance at matches. 

Just guessing atm.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If clubs vote on it- surely if they cannot get a required majority for anything, the default remains the default!

Not through a positive decision, more like a lack of consensus for anything else.

Agree, decisions on recruitment or similar will be rather difficult until decisions made at League level.

@JonDolman Having looked at accounts and Parachute Payments declining, Stoke may or should be on the cutback list so may come down to whether they can do more with less- Parachute Payments drop by £20m in Year 3, subject to how things get amended of course.

Interesting. Don't they have quite an old squad too?

55 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

I though Jonah Hill did all the data analysis?

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Believe it’s a simple yes / no vote and 16 out of 24 clubs need to agree to it.