Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Keith Downing in talks and Simpson

1 hour ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Remember when we gave Millen the job- and defended it by bringing in Steve Wigley as the “international experience”. 

we managed to get Caulker and Rose that season- with Caulker saving us from relegation. 
Fast forward 14 months and both were gone, and it took us 3 years to recover. 

Just made the same point on the other thread. These appointments don't soften the blow of Holden getting the job, and assuming true make it even more likely he will be appointed. 

I'd be interested to know what worked so well about Millen/Wigley that Steve Lansdown thinks it's a good idea again. 

• Like 1

I feel about as flat as I've ever felt following City.  This just seems nonsensical.  Our new manager has no experience and his assistants - and let's be generous here - are journeyman coaches/failed managers. 

I will say though, it's not their fault.  They'll get backing from me although it might be with my eyes closed behind the sofa. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

What is it with Steve Lansdown and his continuous need to hit the self destruct button? 

It took us years to recover from the Millen debacle. The belter is doing it again!

I wonder how bothered he is to be honest. Either that or he doesn't know much about football and his ego gets in the way. 

Edited by MATT BCFC
  • Like 1
Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Just made the same point on the other thread. These appointments don't soften the blow of Holden getting the job, and assuming true make it even more likely he will be appointed. 

I'd be interested to know what worked so well about Millen/Wigley that Steve Lansdown thinks it's a good idea again. 

I cannot wait to hear Mark Ashtons spin on this car crash of an appointment 

SL is fixated on buying young talent and making a big profit on them. Hence the focus on 'successful' youth coaches. It's like he wants to turn his football club into a penny share investment club.

He literally hasn't got a clue how to run a professional football club. This feels like a disaster in the making. 

Edited by robin_unreliant
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Remember when we gave Millen the job- and defended it by bringing in Steve Wigley as the “international experience”. 

we managed to get Caulker and Rose that season- with Caulker saving us from relegation. 
Fast forward 14 months and both were gone, and it took us 3 years to recover. 

In fairness it wasn’t Millen that was the problem, it was 18 months after he left that we went down, having employed both McInnes and O’Driscoll.

Under Foo Kin whelmed. Are Ashton et al giving the Gas a fighting chance of closing the chasm!?! Absolutely abysmal records at club level, all 3 of them. And I checked, its definitely not the 1st of April...... 

Edited by Andy Horsman

Don’t England coaches get the best crop (from that age group), put them into a formation, coach them for a couple of days, then play the game? They hardly coach them, develop them, nurture them & bring them through like is being said. Or am I being too unkind?COYR

Edited by Simon79
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Varrei said:

I got about a minute into this video and couldn’t listen anymore. Now this could be that I’m looking for any reason to not get on board with this embarrassment or it could be that he is just, that boring. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Not rocket science is it. 5 weeks and this is the best we can come up with 

I suspect the original intent was of an experienced and proven manager but they failed to mention in the original advert for the job it would be a very limited transfer budget etc due to Covid.

After 4 weeks of interviews and getting a ‘no thanks’ from each applicant on the list they changed to Plan B which is what we’ve got with this dream team?

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

League one incoming. Embarrassing appointments

You are probably right. They seem to have some dreamy eyed vision that a strong youth policy is enough to see us through. Important though that is, leaving an unbalanced squad in the hands of a rookie chief coach leaves us very vulnerable. 

• Like 3