IGNORED

Getting Real

Bat Fastard

25 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

It has become clear that there may be a very difficult set of financial circumstances facing our club and others in our division. Our own @MrPopodopolous has set out these concerns very well in a different thread. 

Our squad is in need of supplementation and there will be comings and goings as usual, but our ambitions will be tempered by financial constraints.

Our strength in the youth department gives cause for optimism and it seems that the board have decided to double down on our original strategy of developing youth - both for sale and to build the first team.  The new additions reported in the Bristol Post show that the efforts to leverage the youth policy will effectively be put on steroids.

Our new head coach has the advantage of being very well known and is obviously admired by the board, players and others in the club.  What he may lack in experience can be made up by his knowledge of the club and players and willingness to adhere to our corporate strategy. He also fits in with the budget and is the continuity candidate because a new experienced manager may well have wanted to make very expensive changes to playing squad, staff and modus operandi. Everything the board appear to have decided so far looks sound and logical from the perspective of what is best for our long term interests and gets us over the, hopefully, short term financial obstacles.

Given all this, maybe it is about time for the fans to be rather more understanding of the owner and board and to come to terms with the fact that we are living in unprecedented times and we will need to make wise and prudent decisions to benefit in the long run. Give the plans a chance to work by boosting them with your total support. Bury the negatives because we are not able to do much to change the landscape in which we have to operate. 

Try being supporters rather than antagonistic critics. This does not apply to all - but there are some who need to consider this carefully. Just get real!

Is this the other part to SL’s master plan? Get rid of all the passionate old School fans, the ones who actually give a **** and don’t except all the ******* bullshit and replace them with happy clapping lemmings like you? I’m seriously done with all this bollocks, City can **** off for all I care... The football club I grew up to passionately love is dead!!

6 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Well he knew more than the government and WHO then because their position has been developing. Timing, costs, crowds, sponsorship, and many other issues are impacted - for how long? We don't know.

All of that uncertainty was around when Johnson was sacked. If that was an overriding concern of the board then they shouldn’t have sacked Johnson who, for all his failings, had properly established us in the championship.

25 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

It has become clear that there may be a very difficult set of financial circumstances facing our club and others in our division. Our own @MrPopodopolous has set out these concerns very well in a different thread. 

Our squad is in need of supplementation and there will be comings and goings as usual, but our ambitions will be tempered by financial constraints.

Our strength in the youth department gives cause for optimism and it seems that the board have decided to double down on our original strategy of developing youth - both for sale and to build the first team.  The new additions reported in the Bristol Post show that the efforts to leverage the youth policy will effectively be put on steroids.

Our new head coach has the advantage of being very well known and is obviously admired by the board, players and others in the club.  What he may lack in experience can be made up by his knowledge of the club and players and willingness to adhere to our corporate strategy. He also fits in with the budget and is the continuity candidate because a new experienced manager may well have wanted to make very expensive changes to playing squad, staff and modus operandi. Everything the board appear to have decided so far looks sound and logical from the perspective of what is best for our long term interests and gets us over the, hopefully, short term financial obstacles.

Given all this, maybe it is about time for the fans to be rather more understanding of the owner and board and to come to terms with the fact that we are living in unprecedented times and we will need to make wise and prudent decisions to benefit in the long run. Give the plans a chance to work by boosting them with your total support. Bury the negatives because we are not able to do much to change the landscape in which we have to operate. 

Try being supporters rather than antagonistic critics. This does not apply to all - but there are some who need to consider this carefully. Just get real!

Rubbish....SL has always taken the cheap option for new managers.....oh and they have to be weak enough to adhere to his and MA's bizarre way of running a club.

If he uses Covid as an excuse for getting a cut price bloke in...shame on him.

3 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Well i see SL is not doing that with the bears. They have been signing lots of top stars. The latest they are trying for is Beauden Barrett. So one law for the bears another for the City.

The new training facility was stated on site before covid-19.

It was mostly funded by the RFU.

But you are right, there is a difference. The rugby players all had a pay cut, the City players did not.

29 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

If only we had an opportunity to earn ourselves £150m in the next 12 months... oh wait we did. Not sure we do now...

1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

Well i see SL is not doing that with the bears. They have been signing lots of top stars. The latest they are trying for is Beauden Barrett. So one law for the bears another for the City.

I hate the comparison to the Rugby team all the time. The two sports are a world apart in respect of finances and the team is and has been in the top division multiple times to attract top players and managers. In comparison City haven't been in the prem yet!

It's like spoilt kids looking over at their sibling moaning they didn't get a flake with their ice-cream every year.

It's time to get real, no one really knows the financial side especially in this climate. It's always easy to fictitiously spend someone else's money for your own benefit when you don't know any of the constraints.

5 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

SL = Rugby. JL= Football.    My dad gave me a yoyo once and eventually I broke it.  SL gave his son a football club, and eventually............

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

You might not trust them because you were not part of the discussions.

Neither were you. You choose to adopt the most sympathetic - or is it sycophantic? - interpretation of the club’s decisions.

It’s equally possible that the mediocre coaching team it seems we’re about to be “sold” was put together because all the capable and experienced candidates wouldn’t work with the structures and egos at the club. The fact that we’ve apparently arrived at the day pre-season training was due to start without a management team in place hardly suggests a well-planned strategy has been in place.

As for supporting the club: I’ll keep paying to watch City if I consider it a good use of my money. A big part of that decision is whether I can get excited about the idea of going to a game. At times over the last couple if years it’s felt more like a chore than a treat. Nothing in these appointments makes me think that will be any different next season. At some point over the next few weeks the Club will have to give me some options on what to do about my SC. As things stand I’ll be taking whatever refund option is available, and spending the £500+ on something that has a higher probability of entertaining me.

12 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

It seems quite likely that the unfolding ramifications of the financial issues have left their mark on the boards decisions.  Decisions are made by thrashing out the issues and coming up with workable solutions. You might not trust them because you were not part of the discussions. We have to trust them because you cannout change their decisions, which seem pretty well balanced.

I think the only mark on the board decisions  you mentioned is Ashton and these appointments would seem to further strengthen his position.  So much for the ‘exciting’ developments we’ve been told about.

Sorry, but Covid hasn’t changed in 5 seeks and the only thing that’s changed is the Club’s direction and we’ve been strung along by the club.

The fans are being treated like idiots and this won’t be forgotten!

6 minutes ago, Nibor said:

The reason the club have spent a month farting around and then seemingly arrived at the conclusion that the best man available for the job was the inexperienced underling of the one they fired is nothing to do with money and everything to do with protecting the Ashton's complete control over the squad and Lansdown's desire to continually interfere with the first team.

And this is the real reason we are where we are.

And as long as they continue at the helm, we shouldn't expect any differently.

28 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Holden doesn’t need to take the job, he knows he is vastly inexperienced and will most likely fail and fail quickly leaving his career in tatters.  He should come and read the forum and then base his decision on whether he’s actually wanted here.  So by accepting the job he is part of the problem and it is his fault also 

Theres no way holden could turn down this opportunity, if its offered to him. on a financial level, x hundreds of thousands per year for 3 years, would set him up nicely, and on the off chance he actually does a good job, it will set him up for the future at a bigger club. If we go down he could point to being asset stripped and not allowed to bring replacements in.

27 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

It seems quite likely that the unfolding ramifications of the financial issues have left their mark on the boards decisions

Guess the billionaire chairman only has access to our financial situation for a 5 to 6 week period then yes? Seeing as only a short while ago he himself talked about the next step and getting someone in to push us to the next level. Bit short sighted of him to interview when he wasn't aware of the financial ramifications within our club don't you think? Surely you would think he had access to this info before he had the interview yes? Perhaps enlighten us as to why you think he said what he said without all the facts at hand? 

44 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

We are that hard up we appear to be looking to sign up 2 England coaches to help our novice manager. And since when had expressing opinions on a forum make you antagonistic. Or is it only if we disagree with you and Lansdown.

With respect to the OP, I'm not buying into that at all. Just stop and think for a second about the funds going out to pay compo or gardening leave to sack LJ and JMc, hire two new coaches (salaries and compo to the FA), pay rise for the latest novice coach. To me, that sets us for a return to L1 rather than the PL. They need to stop the lies about promotion to the PL. It won't wash with anyone anymore under this setup. 

It's all about SL delusion of trying to make Bristol Sport like Barcelona. What he fails to see is that FCB is owned by around 180,000 patrons, who elect a club president every six years to represent them. FCB is the polar opposite of corporate ownership. The supporters matter to them, but not to our board. 

You can see the irony with SL calling the shots, surrounding himself with yes men, so that as and when a decent talent comes onto our books, Trashton can cash in so that uncle Steve gets return on investment. The best ROI for him would be to get to the PL - the £185m instant payout, the potential parachute payments - and this is not the best way to go about it. 

Does SL not realise internal appointments at Barcelona - like Pep Guardiola or Luis Enrique - work to varying degrees because they have played at the highest levels, under the best coaches and therefore know the standards they need to reach? This rich tradition is why promoting novices from within works for FCB, and is flawed for us.

21 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I’ve never really  questioned it before. But are we starting to see SL putting more into the rugby as he sees the better opportunity for success. 

He's not as there is a salary cap. Can't spend more than possibly £10 million on wages.

What's our wage bill?

2 minutes ago, collier said:

Guess the billionaire chairman only has access to our financial situation for a 5 to 6 week period then yes? Seeing as only a short while ago he himself talked about the next step and getting someone in to push us to the next level. Bit short sighted of him to interview when he wasn't aware of the financial ramifications within our club don't you think? Surely you would think he had access to this info before he had the interview yes? Perhaps enlighten us as to why you think he said what he said without all the facts at hand? 

You've asked three rhetorical questions but I'll help out the poster by throwing rhetorical questions back. Maybe he was expecting a change to fans being back in stadiums at that time and the revenue that follows? Maybe the new potential discussion and implementation in L1/L2 of this salary cap wasn't fully known at that time? Maybe he genuinely thinks this is the best way to progress even though the wider fanbase disagree?

Look I think he was naive for setting expectations high with that interview and I'm concerned but this constant arguing the point isn't going to change it so we need to support the manager/team and see how it pans out. If it goes horribly wrong then fine burn bedsheets outside Ashton Gate if it makes you feel fulfilled.

4 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

We are that hard up we appear to be looking to sign up 2 England coaches to help our novice manager. And since when had expressing opinions on a forum make you antagonistic. Or is it only if we disagree with you and Lansdown.

Yeah maybe someone will correct me here, but are we not now paying Lee Johnson (gone), Jamie McAllister (gone), Dean Holden (pay rise), Paul Simpson and Keith Downing, both of whom will be on more than our former rookie coaches?

12 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Theres no way holden could turn down this opportunity, if its offered to him. on a financial level, x hundreds of thousands per year for 3 years, would set him up nicely, and on the off chance he actually does a good job, it will set him up for the future at a bigger club. If we go down he could point to being asset stripped and not allowed to bring replacements in.

If we go down he will be lucky to find another job in football.

57 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Have I missed something. Has DH been offered the job after all or am i still in some kind of night mare 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

If we go down he will be lucky to find another job in football.

Maybe?! 

For the record, there are few clubs in the country who would have made this appointment, if it happens, after all the b.s, about wanting promotion, its all a marketing ploy to get people to buy tickets and shirts.

Please place your name on the list below if you do indeed have a crystal ball and can confirm with absolute certainty that nothing but fiery doom and failure awaits when Dean Holden is installed as manager at the expense of St. Christopher Hughton of Sussex, please be aware that in signing this list, should BCFC have any success this coming season you will be ineligible to partake in any merriment or celebrations that may follow.

of course if you wish to reestablish your stance to be a tiny weeny little bit more balanced, more like “I suspect we could be relegation fodder, or I fear we will” then you do not have to sign aforementioned list and may simply be allowed to be pleasantly surprised if we do ok and be allowed to join any such merriment or celebrations. If your predications do come true however and we do indeed struggle you may be allowed a certain level of smugness but pledge to generally take the disappointment in good humour, remembering at the end of the day football is a little different at the moment and a chairman’s view on what’s right for the club is allowed to change during an unfolding pandemic without baying cries of LIES LIES LIES!! 

one final thought to think in before signing. To quote another thread - “bristol city are the China of the championship”

football. That quote was said, with a straight face in the context of foot-ball

just let that nugget sink in long and hard before you consider which side you wish to nail your colours.

I, the below signed who is of sound mind etc..

1 minute ago, Fjmcity said:

Please place your name on the list below if you do indeed have a crystal ball and can confirm with absolute certainty that nothing but fiery doom and failure awaits when Dean Holden is installed as manager at the expense of St. Christopher Hughton of Sussex, please be aware that in signing this list, should BCFC have any success this coming season you will be ineligible to partake in any merriment or celebrations that may follow.

of course if you wish to reestablish your stance to be a tiny weeny little bit more balanced, more like “I suspect we could be relegation fodder, or I fear we will” then you do not have to sign aforementioned list and may simply be allowed to be pleasantly surprised if we do ok and be allowed to join any such merriment or celebrations. If your predications do come true however and we do indeed struggle you may be allowed a certain level of smugness but pledge to generally take the disappointment in good humour, remembering at the end of the day football is a little different at the moment and a chairman’s view on what’s right for the club is allowed to change during an unfolding pandemic without baying cries of LIES LIES LIES!! 

one final thought to think in before signing. To quote another thread - “bristol city are the China of the championship”

football. That quote was said, with a straight face in the context of foot-ball

just let that nugget sink in long and hard before you consider which side you wish to nail your colours.

I, the below signed who is of sound mind etc..

I suggest you post this again in a few days time when you actually know who the head coach actually is. Have I missed something today that you know and i dont. 

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

I suggest you post this again in a few days time when you actually know who the head coach actually is. Have I missed something today that you know and i dont. 

I don’t know, although you seem to. Care to share?

my post doesn’t really relate to who is appointed anyway, only tries to point out the frothing madness of some posters rage 

I think we’ve got a great group of young players & am excited about them being developed & utilized more but, at the same time, I don’t see us challenging for promotion for, at least, the next couple of seasons. The problem for me is that the board, particularly SL, raised the fans’ expectations so high with earlier comments that these appointments are now a disappointment. 

3 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I think we’ve got a great group of young players & am excited about them being developed & utilized more but, at the same time, I don’t see us challenging for promotion for, at least, the next couple of seasons. The problem for me is that the board, particularly SL, raised the fans’ expectations so high with earlier comments that these appointments are now a disappointment. 

This! SL massively raised fans expectations in the talksport interview he did. 

If they were honest and said from the start look we want to be sensible and build for the future etc they wouldn't be getting half as much stick now. 

51 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Thank you for totally making his point.

A well thought through response, shows intelligence and respect to the OP.

Well done.....

Sometimes instead of a reasoned, balanced and articulate analysis, which looking at GrahamC's contributions, he is well capable of............a succint and to the point reaction is needed, and in this case was apposite.  I heartily agree, it IS Horseshit. ?

Archived