IGNORED

Getting Real

Bat Fastard

57 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

You appear to see yourself as the font of all knowledge and anyone with a different view point is in need of education.It comes across as patronising and condescending.

Things do not become true if you repeat them enough times, supporters  feel badly let down by this appointment  and can only hope that a full explanation is provided at the press conference .

Not quite right AR. I know as much as anyone else - nothing. All we can do is to look at the situation and try to divine what is happening. Some start from the point of view that the board are all liars and charlatans and do not understand why we are not top line promotion candidates and others try to see the reality of the problems that confront the board.  My point is that maybe people shouldn't feel let down by the club, but may feel entitled to feel regret that our planet has been infected with Covid19.  I had a lifetime in business and experienced nothing like it. People are, to a large extent, making up their minds as they go along and solving problems as they present themselves. The board have to try to look ahead and see where we will be when everything has settled down in a couple of years or so.  Smart, experienced people are steering Bristol City and we should appreciate their efforts - even if the do not offer instant gratification.

16 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Look I think he was naive for setting expectations high with that interview and I'm concerned but this constant arguing the point isn't going to change it so we need to support the manager/team and see how it pans out. If it goes horribly wrong then fine burn bedsheets outside Ashton Gate if it makes you feel fulfilled.

Who is asking to burn bedsheets?? wtf are you talking about? 

How many years has the guy been owner? If you genuinely believe that he doesn't have a firm grasp on last year, this years and next years finances as a self made billionaire who handles a fair few others money then your the one who is being naive. He knew what he wanted when he said it, he just didn't get what he wanted because of the set up within the club. Better managers applied and I can guarantee they interviewed better and were a far more attractive option than DH. For what it's worth I will be supporting Bristol City next season as I have done for all other seasons. I won't be burning anything because of club decisions, but I can and will debate what I believe are wrong decisions being made by the club on a forum.

58 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Well i see SL is not doing that with the bears. They have been signing lots of top stars. The latest they are trying for is Beauden Barrett. So one law for the bears another for the City.

Most expensive player in the world almost certainly earns less that Bentley or Kalas to name but two.

Thats why Bristol rugby can compete. The baffling thing is why Lansdown and his mug mate Booy don't meddle there as well.

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Fully expect us, like all clubs, to not be spending much in the transfer market

But if anyone thinks we have appointed Dean Holden because of financial reasons they are wrong.

If we wanted Chris Hughton, his salary wouldnt have been an issue.

Managers job is the most important position at a football club - you dont underspend on that position, because in the long run, you pay for it...

SL and co, clearly think Deano is the best candidate for the job!

Maybe he is the best man for the City job because he will cause the least disruption and disruption costs money, which is in short supply.

I appreciate what you are saying and understand all of the financial difficulties, which will effect almost every Championship club right now, but I disagree, we will see other championship clubs splashing money like no tomorrow throughout the window and you can't tell me we don't have the money, I think it's a big smokescreen..

The reason I disagree is I think this is a smoke screen by the club for its failure to not get the Man they wanted in Gerrard and Hughton. They would not want to work without having control of the transfers. Now the only way to get the fans back on side is by using our likely struggle this season coming on us 'rebuilding', 'change of structure' and focusing on the academy, of whom many of the U23's if they were any good would be in the squad most weeks, but they are not. I just see this as one big excuse for not getting the man we wanted in charge and whatever happens this coming season we will have how many fans and people in the club just saying 'but we are focusing on the academy, etc'. I don't want that, I want this club not just focusing on the academy but also getting the best players it can get in with the best manager we can get in.

Covid-19 will effect almost all Football Clubs, lets hope we don't use this as an excuse for failure and when we are 19th in November when it effects every football club at our level.

It confirms to me, Mr Lansdown has no ambition in reaching the Premier League, he is simply looking to take money back from what he has put into the club, that's his prerogative and up to us fans to criticise which we are allowed to as we want our club trying to play at the highest level.

23 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

You've asked three rhetorical questions but I'll help out the poster by throwing rhetorical questions back. Maybe he was expecting a change to fans being back in stadiums at that time and the revenue that follows? Maybe the new potential discussion and implementation in L1/L2 of this salary cap wasn't fully known at that time? Maybe he genuinely thinks this is the best way to progress even though the wider fanbase disagree?

Look I think he was naive for setting expectations high with that interview and I'm concerned but this constant arguing the point isn't going to change it so we need to support the manager/team and see how it pans out. If it goes horribly wrong then fine burn bedsheets outside Ashton Gate if it makes you feel fulfilled.

Yes, maybe. So "maybe" Steve could call talkSPORT and ask to update his many interested supporters about this changing and evolving situation, in case they were getting the wrong end of the stick about him saying the "aim is to get into the PL as soon as we can" and bringing in a "breath of fresh air," and clearing up any uncertainty around the Gerrard whispers? And why Hughton is not an option.

Maybe, if there was an ounce of respect for the club's supporters, he might consider some clear communication, given the carry-on with all this currently. Maybe even on Radio Local.

1 hour ago, LoyalRed said:

And ultimately set BCFC back 10 years, we will be relegation fodder next season.  The players are happy as they know they will be safe under Holden, collect their wage and under perform on a regular basis 

If we risk being relegation fodder next season, hopefully we will then be able to afford new players to supplement the squad because we have been prudent this season. Consider also the problems facing the clubs in the league. We may well do better than them because of our approach. Parachute payments will be even more unfair to other clubs in this environment.

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

It has become clear that there may be a very difficult set of financial circumstances facing our club and others in our division. Our own @MrPopodopolous has set out these concerns very well in a different thread. 

Our squad is in need of supplementation and there will be comings and goings as usual, but our ambitions will be tempered by financial constraints.

Our strength in the youth department gives cause for optimism and it seems that the board have decided to double down on our original strategy of developing youth - both for sale and to build the first team.  The new additions reported in the Bristol Post show that the efforts to leverage the youth policy will effectively be put on steroids.

Our new head coach has the advantage of being very well known and is obviously admired by the board, players and others in the club.  What he may lack in experience can be made up by his knowledge of the club and players and willingness to adhere to our corporate strategy. He also fits in with the budget and is the continuity candidate because a new experienced manager may well have wanted to make very expensive changes to playing squad, staff and modus operandi. Everything the board appear to have decided so far looks sound and logical from the perspective of what is best for our long term interests and gets us over the, hopefully, short term financial obstacles.

Given all this, maybe it is about time for the fans to be rather more understanding of the owner and board and to come to terms with the fact that we are living in unprecedented times and we will need to make wise and prudent decisions to benefit in the long run. Give the plans a chance to work by boosting them with your total support. Bury the negatives because we are not able to do much to change the landscape in which we have to operate. 

Try being supporters rather than antagonistic critics. This does not apply to all - but there are some who need to consider this carefully. Just get real!

Some of you will just lap up any old shite and it really shows, I bet you're the same in all walks of life not just in supporting your football club.

It's a real shame unfortunately, Lansdown got all of our hopes up again and sold us down the river only for us to appoint the assistant of the last failed regime.

Amateurish. 

58 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I hate the comparison to the Rugby team all the time. The two sports are a world apart in respect of finances and the team is and has been in the top division multiple times to attract top players and managers. In comparison City haven't been in the prem yet!

It's like spoilt kids looking over at their sibling moaning they didn't get a flake with their ice-cream every year.

It's time to get real, no one really knows the financial side especially in this climate. It's always easy to fictitiously spend someone else's money for your own benefit when you don't know any of the constraints.

Well maybe if they released the occasional statement, and communicated with their long suffering supporters (customers), then we may be in a position to understand what is taking place?   I would like to know why Hughton was deemed not suitable, and if the Gerrard approach actually happened? I would also like to know why it took 5 weeks to come to the conclusion that our best option was to recruit a man who appeared part of the problem, rather than the solution?  Also, if that decision is based on financial considerations, or the perceived ambition of "Taking us to the next level" that SL broadcast to the fanbase on the radio?

1 hour ago, BCFC Grim said:

You've not answered my question? 

The situation is evolving and people will change perception as they examine the depth of the issues that confront them. People leading the club are torn between what the mob want them to say and mean and what is dictated by the cold realities of the problems they face. 

1 hour ago, kevster3 said:

It’s people like you,that make the club think they can dish out any old bullshit,and we will all be gullible enough to accept it,perhaps they should employ you as their chief bullshitting press officer.

Truth is only bullshit when it does not accord with your beliefs.

5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Maybe he is the best man for the City job because he will cause the least disruption and disruption costs money, which is in short supply.

What do you mean less disruption?

If you mean that another manager would want a bigger budget - thats a different thing. Then again, i dont think any manager is going to to demand a bigger budget, after what has just happened.

The overall variation in costs to appoint the most important position at the football club, is insignificant, compared to the financial losses a failure would incur.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Well i see SL is not doing that with the bears. They have been signing lots of top stars. The latest they are trying for is Beauden Barrett. So one law for the bears another for the City.

SL will cover our losses, which will be much larger than those of the Bears. He will have financial demands at a time when many of his investments will be very stressed.

14 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Not quite right AR. I know as much as anyone else - nothing. All we can do is to look at the situation and try to divine what is happening. Some start from the point of view that the board are all liars and charlatans and do not understand why we are not top line promotion candidates and others try to see the reality of the problems that confront the board.  My point is that maybe people shouldn't feel let down by the club, but may feel entitled to feel regret that our planet has been infected with Covid19.  I had a lifetime in business and experienced nothing like it. People are, to a large extent, making up their minds as they go along and solving problems as they present themselves. The board have to try to look ahead and see where we will be when everything has settled down in a couple of years or so.  Smart, experienced people are steering Bristol City and we should appreciate their efforts - even if the do not offer instant gratification.

Tight

6 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

The situation is evolving and people will change perception as they examine the depth of the issues that confront them. People leading the club are torn between what the mob want them to say and mean and what is dictated by the cold realities of the problems they face. 

This is theory which you’re presenting as fact (and runs counter to the small bits of evidence that we have).

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

So why sack LJ? I understood at the time we were aiming for the next level. These potential appointments don’t strike me as that. Financially we’d have been better off as we stood.

I was concerned at the sacking of Lee, but we don't know what is happening behind the scenes. He clearly felt unable to trust young players in his quest for a play off spot and may well have been bitching about selling his best players at inconvenient times - especially in light of the key injuries. Now water under the bridge, but the baying mob of fans have had their wishes satisfied. Whether this helps of hinders the cause remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Interesting theme beginning to take shape here.  

The Bears get the flagship stand in what used to be our stadium devoted to them.  They get top end Lam to manage them and we get bargain basement Holden.  They get  high end players, while it sounds like we’ll be picking up scraps this year.

It seems that either we are becoming the poor relation in Bristol Sport, or this virus is very selective in what sport it effects in the Bristol area.

Talk about covid-19, finances etc all you like. They apply to everyone, but nonetheless three teams will be promoted to the Premier League next year. As things stand we all know that we're falling short of the standard required. If ever there was a need to get to the promised land its now.

32 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I don’t know, although you seem to. Care to share?

my post doesn’t really relate to who is appointed anyway, only tries to point out the frothing madness of some posters rage 

Sounds like more hype and gossip to me. We could all do without these during these stressful times 

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

The reason the club have spent a month farting around and then seemingly arrived at the conclusion that the best man available for the job was the inexperienced underling of the one they fired is nothing to do with money and everything to do with protecting the Ashton's complete control over the squad and Lansdown's desire to continually interfere with the first team.

Maybe control is better in the hands of those who know all the facts and have a full understanding of the problems the club faces. None of us really know anything - let alone the motivation of the directors. We know that they will want the very best for Bristol City because huge investment and reputations are at stake. They know this.

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Fully expect us, like all clubs, to not be spending much in the transfer market

But if anyone thinks we have appointed Dean Holden because of financial reasons they are wrong.

If we wanted Chris Hughton, his salary wouldnt have been an issue.

Managers job is the most important position at a football club - you dont underspend on that position, because in the long run, you pay for it...

SL and co, clearly think Deano is the best candidate for the job!

So in your opinion the last 3 managers have been appointed because they were the best person for the job and not a cheaper option? I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

I was concerned at the sacking of Lee, but we don't know what is happening behind the scenes. He clearly felt unable to trust young players in his quest for a play off spot and may well have been bitching about selling his best players at inconvenient times - especially in light of the key injuries. Now water under the bridge, but the baying mob of fans have had their wishes satisfied. Whether this helps of hinders the cause remains to be seen.

You hated, detested, it when your older sibling told you Father Christmas was "horseshit," didn't you Bat?

You resisted it, for years, despite the jeers of the mob at school. And then work. Even now, there's a bit of you that cannot accept - Father Christmas was not what you thought. And it was all "horseshit."

I'm with you, I'm clinging on with you - Father Christmas is real (although in this evolving situation, he might not this year be able to deliver what we all demand, er, hope for, I mean).

Archived