IGNORED

Time to sell up and move on Mr Lansdown

formerly known as ivan

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Why's that ridiculous.? I'm probably bang on with the median age of this forum and their prime reason for all this hysteria.

Hmmm.

You have no idea of the median age of this forum if that makes any difference whatsoever anyway you're just on a wind up and its not helpful.

Lansdown couldn't give two shits what people think on this forum but people who receive insults from anonymous posters probably do care, so calling people names is very immature to be honest.

4 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Show me the evidence where fam owned clubs in the championship are successful?

Define successful. Personally I'd rather be a League 1 club that I feel connected to than a Championship club that I feel ignored by.

Not least because being a billionaire is immoral. 

Appreciate it's an unpopular view but there we go.

5 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Uh. Yep. I do!

Why else would be so what he does? He’s not a philanthropist is he!

In the case of Bristol Sport yes he is

He's lost millions on City and probably a good amount on the Rugby too. Its only in the last couple of seasons that City have moved into some sort of profitability. 

The only way he's ever going to make money on City is by getting to the Premier League. Which makes the forthcoming appointment of Dean Holden all the more unfathomable.... 

6 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

I can't personally see a fan owned club ever being competitive at the higher end of the English pyramid to be fair and there would still be unhappy fans anyway plus probably people making a few bob out of it all.

4 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Depends on your idea of success. If your idea of success is top flight football then a fan owned club would be a bad idea. However if your idea of success is that AG is a fun place to be, with great value tickets, the fan owned would be a bad idea.

For me, the fans never seemed so toxic and entitled. But when you're paying through the nose based on the promises of Ashton and SL to get you PL football, damn right you'd be annoyed at this appointment. For me the final straw was the massive price hike for disabled fans in 2018, and I've not been back. The club is now very much run as a business, when it should be run as a community asset. 

4 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Define successful. Personally I'd rather be a League 1 club that I feel connected to than a Championship club that I feel ignored by.

Agree I am disillusioned by the club right now, but there is no club that is fan owned that has been successful. I would rather be competing in the championship with a man who has given so much to the club and is not bankrupting us than a club that is in league 1 that is fan owned... I appreciate o may be on my own here

Just now, REDOXO said:

Calm down ladies. 

Way to much vitriol!

The board have made a decision. I’ll Deal with it. 

Yeah same here ffs...line in the sand it’s deano, now we start planning for next year

59 minutes ago, vicky10 said:

Oh dear ...what a bunch .Ashton Gate will be better off without all you losers ..The guy has built great facilities and the basis of a good team and this is what we hear from you lot.

Cloud cuckooland ....or just maybe you would want Chinese for Far East betting consortia to take over ....we would probably be out of business in 12 months.

where are all these newbies coming from...................................mmmmmm  Ashton good at one thing

7 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Hmmm.

You have no idea of the median age of this forum if that makes any difference whatsoever anyway you're just on a wind up and its not helpful.

Lansdown couldn't give two shits what people think on this forum but people who receive insults from anonymous posters probably do care, so calling people names is very immature to be honest.

Oh don't play the victim card. Our society is way too sensitive nowadays but that's another issue.

When did middle-aged get added to the 'hate speech' political correctness pile? You say I'm a sheep ?

I think you only have to look at clubs like Hull, Charlton etc to know that we are fairly lucky to have Lansdown. Nothing is perfect but I also don’t see any other rich people rushing into have a stake etc or takeover.

This appointment however I think is a shambles. Might as well as kept LJ who at least has 4 years championship experience as a manager. We’ve swapped that for someone with none. A real gamble and one that also gets the fans backs up after saying we would get someone proven to get us to the next level. 

40 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

I would if I had it. Thing is look at what he now owns. Freeholds as far as the eye can see.......

As I said elsewhere BS3 is simply a cash cow for Lansdown. And his hands and his hands alone are on the udders.

When one has mastitis he tugs in another. Football sadly isn’t his main focus. Making more money is all he cares about.

Not uncommon I know but I for one hate it, hate what it stands for and hate what he and his ilk have done not just to our club but football in general.

From one Al to another spot on mate, :clap:

Too many people here too quick to write off Holden and frankly embarrassing themselves with their comments about SL. Although Holden wouldn't have been my first choice I will support the club regardless. I'll defer my judgement on Holden until we see how the season pans out. There are never any guarantees in football and from what I've seen money  is usually what gets teams promoted - with very few exceptions. One thing that SL has in abundance is money and if he backs his man (Holden), I can see us getting over the line in the not too distant future. A lot of people within these threads could end up with very eggy faces!!?

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

I agree, its not so much about how much money we have, or where we are in the league. It would be nice to go back to the days when we appointed MANAGERS, that were allowed to manage the ******* football club. Something I dont ever see happening again under Lansdown. 

I think you will find that nowhere in the top flights of football do managers - manage clubs .

15 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

In the case of Bristol Sport yes he is

He's lost millions on City and probably a good amount on the Rugby too. Its only in the last couple of seasons that City have moved into some sort of profitability. 

The only way he's ever going to make money on City is by getting to the Premier League. Which makes the forthcoming appointment of Dean Holden all the more unfathomable.... 

Or when he sells. And cashes in his chips.

Or gets resi consents on Ashton Vale. 

He had an exit planned before he even thought of calling it Pula. ?

39 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Yep absolutely.

He or his son will get back every penny of his investment due to real estate transactions that will be smoocthed through the planning processes due to the Bristol City connection.

He could have gone balls out on a legal challenge at Ashton Vale but a nice little earner to be had there and of course the site assembly around AG will reap huge dividends

I'm not totally against him but equally I don't buy that hes a big fan, and some kind of benefactor when he patently is nothing of the sort.

Interesting.

Real estate transactions? Wondering which these could be- sounds ominous if it's about our club property!

Wasn't aware of that bit, thought it dragged on a while. Don't remember it that well overall.

More positives than negatives I think, on the fence. He's spent a lot but as you say his expenditure can be recouped through varied means.

20 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Or when he sells. And cashes in his chips.

Or gets resi consents on Ashton Vale. 

He had an exit planned before he even thought of calling it Pula. ?

Don't forget possible rental returns as an interim revenue stream.

Hell he could do that now in theory couldn't he? Talking significant rent included within breakeven/small profit.

This thread is truly embarrassing, especially when quite a few clubs are actually achieving success by appointing from within (think of this year's play off managers - two internal appointments, another with only England youth managerial experience, and a fourth who had been an internal appointment at his previous club), and others are floundering with managers that have achieved success in the past but may now be on the way down. Where did Bournemouth get Eddie Howe from, and haven't they just appointed his assistant?

Anyone would think there is magic formula for finding a successful manager. Yes Leeds got Bielsa, but look at the chaos before then. This may be heresy to say, but Hughton might not have got us up, indeed he might have changed things to such a degree that much of the good work over recent years could have been thrown out.

SL is an egotistical despot. He isn’t going anywhere any time soon. But when he does, I will crack open the champagne and until that time or the time he has epiphany and sees the error of his ways, I’m not putting another penny into the club.

I would be in favour of fan ownership with a directly elected president. 

1 hour ago, Red Alert said:

Funded by who?

Sadly there is no queue of wealthy benefactors lining up to take on a loss making regional football club that has never player in the prem, if they are I wouldn't trust them as they'll likely to quickly load us up with debt to buy us & then asset strip if we don't make it up.

I don't agree with the way the club is being run at the moment but in the current commercial environment its pure fantasy to think there someone else prepared to fund us. More chance of winning the lottery.

The reality is if this appointment plays out how we anticipate - quite a few fans will no doubt lose interest.

People are petrified of change and are happy to maintain status quo, for every bad buyer there's usually a good one

55 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Dont agree with the billionaire side - that’s a very different discussion - but otherwise very much spot on. 

1 hour ago, Bullbag said:

Well you just continue to be one of Lansdown's sheep then.

So you can lap all the bull**** that comes out of his mouth.

Carry on thinking he's the messiah, which he most certainly is not, and carry on accepting mediocrity and false statement and lies.

Supporters like you are why this club never does bloody anything, ever. Boring boring boring.

No ambition, too cosy and i'm ****ing sick of it.

Seeing same sized and smaller clubs passing us by for the last how many years while we stagnate year after year after year.

Even if we were to appoint a top coach Lansdown would likely poke his nose in again and mess evrything up.

Enough is enough.

Love that passion mate  - and you make lots of good points. Looking back to when we very nearly made it to the premier league (2008 as if we could forget!) at the end of that same season:

- Leicester City were relegated to league one

- Southampton finished 20th in the championship

- Burnley finished 13th in the championship

- Norwich City finished 17th in the championship

- Leeds were in league one

- Brighton were in league one

- Brentford were in league two etc ...

... anyone who thinks we haven’t stagnated over the last decade or so should really think again ... I could be way wide of the mark, but since Coppell buggered off our club has occasionally shot a fearful glance upwards and has shown zero ambition to getting there and zero commitment to really kicking on; just look at the managerial appointments since Coppell ... 

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Some of the stuff being posted is priceless. OTIB seems to have been invaded by Trump clones and followers as they are incapable of accepting criticism or an opposing view. Where are the proposals for who takes over from Lansdown if he walks away? Given that just about no one on here has any confidence in the EFL system which appraises fit and proper persons to run football clubs, that seems more of a gamble than appointing DH as Head Coach. We should apparently also have a board that knows football, a lot of those about are there? The board doesn't need to know about football, that's what head coaches and managers are for.

why don’t we get the best ones we can afford then and leave them to get on with it??

nope . Because they won’t afford lansdown the daily updates and seek his counsel every 5 minutes. 

our owner is sadly a control freak that needs a yes man. That’s why coppell walked away and why we have had tinnion, Millen, Johnson jnr and now this complete farce.

4 hours ago, sinenomine said:

You surely don't think SL is making money out of the club, or ever will for that matter?

No, its not about the money, B C F C is a train set for his boy. Meanwhile, SL is enjoying building the Rugby, the basketball, and any other label under that bloody Bristol Sport crap.  MA is just the puppet for him whose job it is to shoot the plastic bullets.  

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Love that passion mate  - and you make lots of good points. Looking back to when we very nearly made it to the premier league (2008 as if we could forget!) at the end of that same season:

- Leicester City were relegated to league one

- Southampton finished 20th in the championship

- Burnley finished 13th in the championship

- Norwich City finished 17th in the championship

- Leeds were in league one

- Brighton were in league one

- Brentford were in league two etc ...

... anyone who thinks we haven’t stagnated over the last decade or so should really think again ... I could be way wide of the mark, but since Coppell buggered off our club has occasionally shot a fearful glance upwards and has shown zero ambition to getting there and zero commitment to really kicking on; just look at the managerial appointments since Coppell ... 

-Leicester are a bigger club, always have been- well maybe not always but generally- always likely to bounce back quicker once act got together.

-Southampton were mismanaged horribly for years- when that momentum kicks back in and you are a naturally medium or top flight club (see how many years they were in it), that can take you up quickly.

-Burnley just hit a hot streak, crest of a wave in 2008-09. They reached a Cup semi and won the playoffs- maybe we could/should have achieved this in 2017/18- that Cup momentum can really push you on in the League, in the playoffs- which is like a set of Cup finals! Parachute Payments and yoyo ing helped them build and all credit to them.

-Norwich, well they're a bigger club, historically speaking- in terms of top flight appearances etc. Always averaged mid 20's in modern times? See Southampton and momentum factor. Bit of a yoyo club anyway.

-Leeds were mismanaged for years and recovering from a near death experience- once big clubs like that get going and are managed correctly.

-Brighton reached an FA Cup final within living memory- early 1980s. More importantly though, there are similarities- but it is worth noting they had quite a latent yet large fanbase- check their attendances, check their accounts. Once a mix of new ground, Bloom and momentum all kicked in they reached and surpassed us! Their attendances trebled overnight on promotion, or was it their revenue- both shot up quite remarkably in 2011-12 once they reached the Championship, the timing was excellent with respect to moving to a new stadium. That really helps to push a club on, as a combination.

-Brentford- Have a fairly unique model, scrapped their academy which us a source of both players for us, and vital income/profit on transfers. Their recruitment and resale is fantastic. I think ours is hit and miss and alright but not on their level, very much not.

How proven was Pearson when he took Leicester on their path of revival in summer 2008- or Adkins? Adkins was reasonable and more than Holden of course. Coyle was akin to McInnes, good work at St Johnstone at time of appointment- Norwich under Lambert, he was good but nothing special prior to joining them, Leeds- Grayson started that one rolling, Poyet at Brighton and various at Brentford. None of them stellar names at the time!

It's interesting you should talk about post Coppell- once again check the accounts, our wage bill increased year in year out over several years to 2013 and yet our position first stagnated and then went backwards.

Archived