IGNORED

Time to sell up and move on Mr Lansdown

formerly known as ivan

7 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

:laugh: well judging on your title youl have plenty of room to yourself next season 

Title mean very little and I bear only a passing resemblance to my avatar. Anyone reading your forum name might believe that you were a Bristol City supporter.  I cannot go to matches until vaccinated for family reasons - but I will be pushing for the jab and for getting back to Ashton Gate as soon as possible. I believe the future is bright - the future is red and white!

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

We bring on a few young guns and signings in, sell them when they become of any value and then repeat and then repeat.

We start to build something then knock it down and start again, this season we are to try to build a promo challenging team with someone who has never built anything before and with someone who was an assistant to a tombola spinning Barnsley reject.

Now I expect to see a not very exp leaderless team and manager, with prev loaned out players to lower league teams and prob minus our 3 best players Fam, Elli and Smith struggle more this season and will be very surprised if we make the top half of it.

Hopes by Bat Fastard of "greater hieghts and Glory" and a "surge towards promo" are imo just hopes, imo reality is far removed from that, we will continue to go around and around. Giving fans only hope that something better is around the corner, there aint just another corner and another until we get back to the start again.

Safe, sustainable? not guaranteed more chance of falling out of this div than climbing out of it if we carry on with the plan.

We are up against up to 6 teams with parachute money every season. They have squads that performed in the Premier league and in addition to their parachute payments can sell stars and have huge resources to build a new team to drive toward promotion. Many of these teams regularly appear in the play offs. A few well run clubs, like ours are building slowly and securely by developing youth and by careful player trading. Of course this will involve one step back and two steps forward, but we simply have to improve year on year and we are in with a chance. There are 24 teams in the Championship, all having to keep within FFP and compete with well funded parachute clubs. Promotion is a pretty rare event for most football clubs and is even more difficult from the Championship. If we continue as we are and support to our best ability, we have a chance. We have nothing to lose by being positive and everything to lose by being negative. Hope springs eternal.

4 hours ago, glos old boy said:

We bring on a few young guns and signings in, sell them when they become of any value and then repeat and then repeat.

We start to build something then knock it down and start again, this season we are to try to build a promo challenging team with someone who has never built anything before and with someone who was an assistant to a tombola spinning Barnsley reject.

Now I expect to see a not very exp leaderless team and manager, with prev loaned out players to lower league teams and prob minus our 3 best players Fam, Elli and Smith struggle more this season and will be very surprised if we make the top half of it.

Hopes by Bat Fastard of "greater hieghts and Glory" and a "surge towards promo" are imo just hopes, imo reality is far removed from that, we will continue to go around and around. Giving fans only hope that something better is around the corner, there aint just another corner and another until we get back to the start again.

Safe, sustainable? not guaranteed more chance of falling out of this div than climbing out of it if we carry on with the plan.

Smith one of our 3 best players? That’s questionable to say the least. 

You say ‘more chance of falling out of the division if we carry on with this plan’, since the plan was put into place under Johnson we’ve looked much more likely to go up, so not really sure what you can base that opinion on. 

At the end of the day every club has to sell their best players, especially if they can’t get promoted, or succeed as much as that player wants, using them. The same will presumably happen with Brentford, amongst others, this summer. Even under the ‘tombola spinning Barnsley reject’ (who was as much of a Barnsley reject as Klopp was a Dortmund reject, but that doesn’t fit in with your agenda does it?) we still managed to get top half finishes despite selling our best players. It’s the most sustainable way of building a club at the present time, otherwise we could easily end up like Blackpool, Wigan, Bolton, Hull etc

Would be interested in reading an alternative business plan by @glos old boy and @RobintheRed Red in terms of trading with respect to FFP. Possibly @Sheltons Army too.

I don't think our squad so bad nyway. Largely poorly managed under LJ last season absolutely, was not making playoffs in 2017/18 a failure I believe it was. Trading is a bit of a way of life at this level however!

When wages alone exceed turnover, a club has a problem. In the case of the Championship, it's League wide!

That's not to say things can't be improved on, weak points analysed. Indeed continual improvement should be the aim because the day a club (or perhaps anyone) believes they've made it, then complacency kicks in and can easily turn to stagnation and then regression- in our case a gradual slide down the division. 

I think we recruit too many 'punts' 'for the future'. Our development record is good but still has room for improvement. Squad too big as a whole- we have a golden opportunity to reshape come summer 2021 with so many out of contract.

Should IMO be aiming for a squad size of no more than 25 and maybe a bit less! As for the here and now, it feels like a mix of stability, development of some younger players. Argument to extend a few of the many out of contract, argument to put some on the market. Some of the development squad though that doesn't seem to develop much, feels flawed.

6 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

I did support Johnson as I supported every City manager - even Pulis (but through gritted teeth).  I clap and support and will NEVER become negative to the point that I would stop supporting the club that has been central to my life for more than 50 years. I do not drink because I have to drive most times and my bladder would not permit it!  Most of the people who sit near me are reasonably positive and the one miserable b.....d gets the piss taken.  If you dislike City so much, why do you still come on the forum just to be negative? You must have other things in your life that you can be miserable about!

Im frustrated how the franchise are taking the piss out of long standing fans if your happy to clap crap then carry on like i said ive seen the light of day 

7 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Im frustrated how the franchise are taking the piss out of long standing fans if your happy to clap crap then carry on like i said ive seen the light of day 

Sorry old chap, i do not believe for a minute that the board are "taking the piss".  They faced and are facing a hugely difficult situation with Covid. Club earnings will be very hard to predict and the predictions will influence FFP. SL is only allowed to finance to a certain extent and his own investments, that back up his generosity, may well be under a certain amount of strain.  We have maybe sold too many players, but when big offers come in, they really have to sell or the players themselves get pissed off and that can affect their form. It also can influence the thinking of young players who join with a view to getting a future move, with much higher wages, because that is how the club has to operate.  

You seem to think that if we do not win promotion or are unlucky with key injuries, that the club have disrespected you in some way. You may well be able to get medical help for this condition.  I am sure that they are trying hard to make progress at this difficult time and I will always support their efforts. That does not mean that they, or the players or (heaven forefend) even the fans can't get things wrong or make mistakes. We are on a journey and we would do best to stick together and support.  Destructive criticism will not help because it cannot lead to positive change because there is no definitive answer. 

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

Sorry old chap, i do not believe for a minute that the board are "taking the piss".  They faced and are facing a hugely difficult situation with Covid. Club earnings will be very hard to predict and the predictions will influence FFP. SL is only allowed to finance to a certain extent and his own investments, that back up his generosity, may well be under a certain amount of strain.  We have maybe sold too many players, but when big offers come in, they really have to sell or the players themselves get pissed off and that can affect their form. It also can influence the thinking of young players who join with a view to getting a future move, with much higher wages, because that is how the club has to operate.  

You seem to think that if we do not win promotion or are unlucky with key injuries, that the club have disrespected you in some way. You may well be able to get medical help for this condition.  I am sure that they are trying hard to make progress at this difficult time and I will always support their efforts. That does not mean that they, or the players or (heaven forefend) even the fans can't get things wrong or make mistakes. We are on a journey and we would do best to stick together and support.  Destructive criticism will not help because it cannot lead to positive change because there is no definitive answer. 

You are a piss taker **** off

On 17/08/2020 at 19:01, RobintheRed Red said:

Same here mate  had enough after 60 years 

On 18/08/2020 at 11:05, RobintheRed Red said:

:laugh: the last two years plus this shit appointment has broken me.

On 18/08/2020 at 11:07, RobintheRed Red said:

:laugh: good luck with that come to the conclusion they are taking us for c......ts

On 18/08/2020 at 11:31, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes fair comment good talent coming through to be sold on time and time again going nowhere will miss the day out with my mates in the boozer done all this crap before appointing within millen Tinnion etc look where thats got us if lansdown aint iterested in pushing on then neither am i hope it happens for you mate i really do 

15 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Il bet you was a johnson lover aswell ? Clapping and believing  it wears a bit thin mate youl get there eventually always looks better half pissed ask the rest of em.

Flogging a dead horse though  just when we get near sell sell sell and fall away but then your choice .

:laugh: well judging on your title youl have plenty of room to yourself next season 

1 hour ago, RobintheRed Red said:

58 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

You are a piss taker **** off

55 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

**** off

Two days ago you said you had had enough.  But obviously not, as you carry on delighting us with your wit and wisdom ...

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would be interested in reading an alternative business plan by @glos old boy and @RobintheRed Red in terms of trading with respect to FFP. Possibly @Sheltons Army too.

I don't think our squad so bad nyway. Largely poorly managed under LJ last season absolutely, was not making playoffs in 2017/18 a failure I believe it was. Trading is a bit of a way of life at this level however!

When wages alone exceed turnover, a club has a problem. In the case of the Championship, it's League wide!

That's not to say things can't be improved on, weak points analysed. Indeed continual improvement should be the aim because the day a club (or perhaps anyone) believes they've made it, then complacency kicks in and can easily turn to stagnation and then regression- in our case a gradual slide down the division. 

I think we recruit too many 'punts' 'for the future'. Our development record is good but still has room for improvement. Squad too big as a whole- we have a golden opportunity to reshape come summer 2021 with so many out of contract.

Should IMO be aiming for a squad size of no more than 25 and maybe a bit less! As for the here and now, it feels like a mix of stability, development of some younger players. Argument to extend a few of the many out of contract, argument to put some on the market. Some of the development squad though that doesn't seem to develop much, feels flawed.

Ehhhhhhhhhh ?

WTF has FFP and  an 'alternative business plan' got to do with me ???????????

Archived