Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

That’s a fair question. The answer is I’m ASSUMING he had something to do with it, based on how our revenue on ins/outs have improved since he’s been here. We also include decent sell-on clauses which we never used to do. 
 

Yep I assume he was involved for sure, but what i'm not sure is whether he is the negotiating genius the BS spin machine likes to make out, or whether anyone experienced in the game could  have done as well or even better.

The fact we were shite back in the day is true but I have always said that the focus has always been on upgrading the playing staff whilst we still have league 1 management pulling the strings. I think that's lazy, cozy old BCFC to a tee.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RumRed said:

44 years for me with very few bright spells. I can see why LJ had to go but I think the board must have thought they could have moved up a level manager wise with no issues. I really don’t understand why you’d sack someone (and still pay their wages) who kept us mid table to spend 5 weeks appointing their assistant?  Someone must be able to explain this to me.

@Kid in the Riot@Davefevs

Any ideas?

LJ kept his job for so long because he accepted the 'strategy'.  Holden has had 4 1/2 years to learn exactly what buttons to push to be in favour. even if he had his fingers crossed behind his back during the interviews. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be in a minority here, but since his appointment we have moved forward on the pitch. Not all down to him, of course, but he’s played his part (good strategy, decent recruitment, optimising fees received).

Yes, the head coach appointment took time, but who’s to say it won’t turn out to be a (very) good one?

We are in unprecedented  times, we are all (including players) uncertain about the future, so a degree of continuity makes sense (I.e. players know what to expect from Dean, new managers can cause anxiety... will he like me, will he play me, will I fit in his system?).

Then there’s the cost element, which can’t be ignored in the current climate. I don’t mean the coaches’ salaries per se, but the incoming players he will expect, especially if we’re not able to offload unfancied ones. Personally, I don’t think our squad was a problem last season - the issue was ‘stale’ management. A fresh perspective, coupled with a scattering of new faces (inc. returning loanees) could be all we need to elevate us to the top 6.

So I’m reserving judgement on MA, he has credit in my bank, but will probably change my mind by Xmas!

In Ashton I trust, COYR

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One huge problem Ashton has is he’s very dislikable. I’ve said this about Johnson in the past, but he’s going to remind fans of bosses they hate. When I talked about Johnson, I likened him to a David Brent type middle manager.

Ashton is that guy from head office who visits local branches once a quarter and sends round robin emails signed off with ‘Cheers, Mark.‘

Fans hate that sort of thing, football is an escape. There’s a reason people like Gary Johnson, Cotterill and even Gary Owers are popular with fans - they’re positive, speak simply and don’t try too hard.

It’s not essential to his remit I suppose, but Ashton has a lot of work to do. In a weird sort of way I think fans will rally round Holden. He’s from that GJ/SC straight taking mould that fans like and if fans feel he hasn’t been backed (and thus has been hung out to dry) it’ll be Ashton who gets the brunt - not Holden.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

He is just a bloke doing his job and in very difficult circumstances. People on here have shown extreme dislike to each and every leader in our club at one time or another and seem to think that they are qualified to judge.  Some of the guesswork about motives and methods seems to spring more from the minds of the posters than anything seen in Ashton and other club leaders. For heavens sake just get behind them all and our players and coaches. If you support the club with enthusiasm it might be possible to find the extra 10% in our players that will lead to promotion. I urge you all to try and be a lot more positive about everything - you will also be happier human beings. My glass if half full!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

He is just a bloke doing his job and in very difficult circumstances. People on here have shown extreme dislike to each and every leader in our club at one time or another and seem to think that they are qualified to judge.  Some of the guesswork about motives and methods seems to spring more from the minds of the posters than anything seen in Ashton and other club leaders. For heavens sake just get behind them all and our players and coaches. If you support the club with enthusiasm it might be possible to find the extra 10% in our players that will lead to promotion. I urge you all to try and be a lot more positive about everything - you will also be happier human beings. My glass if half full!

Can’t you see why his style rubs people up the wrong way? It’s obvious that it will.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LoyalRed said:

As he's a slimy scumbag who is ruining this club for his own ego.  Obviously though, that is my opinion so wanted to gauge the consensus which is why I asked.

Slimy scumbag? I think comments like that gauge more about you than him. Such OTT comments on here, and of course you know what always happens the reverse of all the rubbish that get's churned out on here day after day. 

I think there are other issues involved here, not just his personality, and it normally involves something to do with politics. Chris Hughton was apparently going to be the best choice for some ...because of his left wing views. 

Mods, can you please remove offensive remarks?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Can’t you see why his style rubs people up the wrong way? It’s obvious that it will.

Well if you trawl through these forum topics you will see that some people take a similar position in regards to SL,JL, MA,LJ and virtually anyone else who is or has been in a position of influence in the club. Leadership is frequently very difficult and must be even more so in the face of relentless criticism and bile from so many "so called" supporters. With supporters like some on here - we hardly need an opposition.  It appears to be the same syndrome as booing players who are struggling.  Put yourself in the position of management, board and players and how would YOU like it?  To my mind it is disrespectful of people who are trying to run our football club as well as possible. We don't have to agree with everything because we do not know what really leads to decisions. To make up negative rubbish and get hysterical about what has been imagined seems to me fairly odd behaviour from those who profess to be devoted to the club.  Call me old fashioned if you like, but I will go on trying to provide positive support.  And as an aside, I really miss "Feed the Goat" food and cannot wait to get back to Ashton Gate and support that as well!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Well if you trawl through these forum topics you will see that some people take a similar position in regards to SL,JL, MA,LJ and virtually anyone else who is or has been in a position of influence in the club. Leadership is frequently very difficult and must be even more so in the face of relentless criticism and bile from so many "so called" supporters. With supporters like some on here - we hardly need an opposition.  It appears to be the same syndrome as booing players who are struggling.  Put yourself in the position of management, board and players and how would YOU like it?  To my mind it is disrespectful of people who are trying to run our football club as well as possible. We don't have to agree with everything because we do not know what really leads to decisions. To make up negative rubbish and get hysterical about what has been imagined seems to me fairly odd behaviour from those who profess to be devoted to the club.  Call me old fashioned if you like, but I will go on trying to provide positive support.  And as an aside, I really miss "Feed the Goat" food and cannot wait to get back to Ashton Gate and support that as well!

No they don’t - Ashton’s criticism is different from that levied at the Lansdowns so that shows how much attention you pay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

No they don’t - Ashton’s criticism is different from that levied at the Lansdowns so that shows how much attention you pay.

I don't really care, they are frequently very rude and personal and not really helpful.  If you care to pay attention to the awful things levied at JL,SL, LJ, as well as MA, they are often just awful and the kind of things people might say about enemies rather than people on their own side.  May I direct you to the post above by @Blackbird1, who has, in my humble opinion, hit the nail on the head.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bat Fastard said:

I don't really care, they are frequently very rude and personal and not really helpful.  If you care to pay attention to the awful things levied at JL,SL, LJ, as well as MA, they are often just awful and the kind of things people might say about enemies rather than people on their own side.  May I direct you to the post above by @Blackbird1, who has, in my humble opinion, hit the nail on the head.

The bottom line is you haven’t answered my original question. Can you see why Ashton (in particular) rubs people up the wrong way?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

The bottom line is you haven’t answered my original question. Can you see why Ashton (in particular) rubs people up the wrong way?

Not really. I think he is doing a difficult job pretty well in front of abusive and hostile so called fans.  I can imagine that it would be uncomfortable and difficult to project the right tone sometimes.  Some of the people on here are pretty low grade to use the language that they do, and I doubt if many on here could do a fraction of what MA does pretty well. I'm sure that SL is a pretty good judge of these things and can see his quality. The same quality that had him elected by his peers to high position in football administration. Those who know him professionally seem to have different opinions. to some on these forums, mind you, they probably know him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s just come out that the FA were making job cuts but remaining staff are now safe following the departure of the two coach’s to us - last night MA made it out like it was a ‘challenge’ and big task to get them to leave! Yet more **** from the idiot. FA clearly looking to offload

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Not really. I think he is doing a difficult job pretty well in front of abusive and hostile so called fans.  I can imagine that it would be uncomfortable and difficult to project the right tone sometimes.  Some of the people on here are pretty low grade to use the language that they do, and I doubt if many on here could do a fraction of what MA does pretty well. I'm sure that SL is a pretty good judge of these things and can see his quality. The same quality that had him elected by his peers to high position in football administration. Those who know him professionally seem to have different opinions. to some on these forums, mind you, they probably know him.

So you can’t see why Ashton’s style, choice of language and poor interviews yesterday would be unpalatable to football fans?

If not then there’s no point discussing further. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

Could be in a minority here, but since his appointment we have moved forward on the pitch. Not all down to him, of course, but he’s played his part (good strategy, decent recruitment, optimising fees received).

Yes, the head coach appointment took time, but who’s to say it won’t turn out to be a (very) good one?

We are in unprecedented  times, we are all (including players) uncertain about the future, so a degree of continuity makes sense (I.e. players know what to expect from Dean, new managers can cause anxiety... will he like me, will he play me, will I fit in his system?).

Then there’s the cost element, which can’t be ignored in the current climate. I don’t mean the coaches’ salaries per se, but the incoming players he will expect, especially if we’re not able to offload unfancied ones. Personally, I don’t think our squad was a problem last season - the issue was ‘stale’ management. A fresh perspective, coupled with a scattering of new faces (inc. returning loanees) could be all we need to elevate us to the top 6.

So I’m reserving judgement on MA, he has credit in my bank, but will probably change my mind by Xmas!

In Ashton I trust, COYR

Shame there is not a WTF emoji on here, in Ashton we trust ? I take it you mean Ashton Gate and not Mark.  Did you not even see Jon Lansdown’s interview ? Ashton got what he wanted this time but failure will hopefully call his time 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackbird1 said:

Slimy scumbag? I think comments like that gauge more about you than him. Such OTT comments on here, and of course you know what always happens the reverse of all the rubbish that get's churned out on here day after day. 

I think there are other issues involved here, not just his personality, and it normally involves something to do with politics. Chris Hughton was apparently going to be the best choice for some ...because of his left wing views. 

Mods, can you please remove offensive remarks?

I think it’s you that’s being offensive unless you are Mark Ashton of course, seem to be backing him 100 % when he’s ruining our club yet you have more issues with what I have said about him rather than what he’s done. Why don’t you open your eyes and watch the interview and read the comments and then realise you are in the minority putting comments like that 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

Could be in a minority here, but since his appointment we have moved forward on the pitch. Not all down to him, of course, but he’s played his part (good strategy, decent recruitment, optimising fees received).

Yes, the head coach appointment took time, but who’s to say it won’t turn out to be a (very) good one?

We are in unprecedented  times, we are all (including players) uncertain about the future, so a degree of continuity makes sense (I.e. players know what to expect from Dean, new managers can cause anxiety... will he like me, will he play me, will I fit in his system?).

Then there’s the cost element, which can’t be ignored in the current climate. I don’t mean the coaches’ salaries per se, but the incoming players he will expect, especially if we’re not able to offload unfancied ones. Personally, I don’t think our squad was a problem last season - the issue was ‘stale’ management. A fresh perspective, coupled with a scattering of new faces (inc. returning loanees) could be all we need to elevate us to the top 6.

So I’m reserving judgement on MA, he has credit in my bank, but will probably change my mind by Xmas!

In Ashton I trust, COYR

Agree. I think he's done a good job. Many on here not that long ago thought the same. Now they hate him! 😂

But hey we all have different opinions.

I just heard the Twentyman interview and Ashton quite simply answered each question. I was expecting something different from what I've read about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

I think it’s you that’s being offensive unless you are Mark Ashton of course, seem to be backing him 100 % when he’s ruining our club yet you have more issues with what I have said about him rather than what he’s done. Why don’t you open your eyes and watch the interview and read the comments and then realise you are in the minority putting comments like that 

I disagree with what that poster is saying, but how are they being offensive?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

So you can’t see why Ashton’s style, choice of language and poor interviews yesterday would be unpalatable to football fans?

If not then there’s no point discussing further. 

When he talks about people being great human beings - I wonder if he would describe some of the exceptionally rude fans in the same way?  I believe in treating people in a decent manner - but some one here make that very difficult.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

When he talks about people being great human beings - I wonder if he would describe some of the exceptionally rude fans in the same way?  I believe in treating people in a decent manner - but some one here make that very difficult.

Once again you’ve failed to answer the question because you can’t. You know the answer but enjoy being contrary too much to give a proper one. 

The ‘human beings’ thing is a good example actually. It’s a strange turn of phrase that people don’t really use in normal conversation. It turns people off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Once again you’ve failed to answer the question because you can’t. You know the answer but enjoy being contrary too much to give a proper one. 

The ‘human beings’ thing is a good example actually. It’s a strange turn of phrase that people don’t really use in normal conversation. It turns people off.

I get the impression that a great many things "turn you off" or offend you.  How would you feel if you had people verbally abusing you on a forum like this?  He has a difficult job and is most likely also right in the middle of all the transfer and contract negotiations and trying his best to keep all the plates spinning.  I do not find him offensive. Just a bloke trying to do a difficult job.  He gets elected to high position and has been appointed to the job of being a CEO because people in the know seem to think he has some kind of quality. Listen to the football clubs who frequently say how well and properly we handled transfer or loan issues - that is people like MA.  As long as he does the job well at City I am happy. You or the other knockers on this forum have no earthy idea about the nature of his brief that led to the appointment of DH, but that has not stopped insult and insinuation of all sorts of foul motives from being postulated in these pages.  If we treat people in a decent fashion, they tend to perform better.  As I posted elsewhere, it is hard to be objective when you start off by detesting the chap. That way you only see the "bad" - usually made up or imaginary qualities and not the true person.  If you think that that is unreasonable then there is no point in airing it further. (was that the right tone?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I get the impression that a great many things "turn you off" or offend you.  How would you feel if you had people verbally abusing you on a forum like this?  He has a difficult job and is most likely also right in the middle of all the transfer and contract negotiations and trying his best to keep all the plates spinning.  I do not find him offensive. Just a bloke trying to do a difficult job.  He gets elected to high position and has been appointed to the job of being a CEO because people in the know seem to think he has some kind of quality. Listen to the football clubs who frequently say how well and properly we handled transfer or loan issues - that is people like MA.  As long as he does the job well at City I am happy. You or the other knockers on this forum have no earthy idea about the nature of his brief that led to the appointment of DH, but that has not stopped insult and insinuation of all sorts of foul motives from being postulated in these pages.  If we treat people in a decent fashion, they tend to perform better.  As I posted elsewhere, it is hard to be objective when you start off by detesting the chap. That way you only see the "bad" - usually made up or imaginary qualities and not the true person.  If you think that that is unreasonable then there is no point in airing it further. (was that the right tone?)

Too long, not enough paragraphs - didn’t read.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is just a simple fact.

When Ashton was first appointed I pointed out on here that his LinkedIn page is factually incorrect. It stated then and still does that he was a director of West Bromwich Albion Football Club from 1990 to 2004. Unless Companies House records are incorrect that is an untruth, he has never been a director of West Bromwich Albion Football Club. 
 

Lots of people falsify their CV’s for the purpose of obtaining employment they might not otherwise get. 
 

I would be interested to know if Lansdown was aware of this seemingly deliberate deceit, but it does also make you wonder what other “economical with the truths” there have been. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LoyalRed said:

I think it’s you that’s being offensive unless you are Mark Ashton of course, seem to be backing him 100 % when he’s ruining our club yet you have more issues with what I have said about him rather than what he’s done. Why don’t you open your eyes and watch the interview and read the comments and then realise you are in the minority putting comments like that 

If not, go read the article from Watford.  Behind the scenes many were less than impressed with MA

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ashton is a self protecting, bullshit speaking, egotistical salesman. He probably cannot believe that a £Billionaire, and now his son, are taken in by him. He has appointed a fella, very nice he may be, who will tow the company line while this odious creep earns, probably £1/2M a year for spinning / lying rubbish! 

I try to see the good in most people but think MA is a slimy, lying, self obsessed, smarmy piece of crap! I've always disliked him and still do! The shit he came out with at that interview is utterly bewildering.

Can't stand the man! 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...