IGNORED

Club communications - A few thoughts from the SC&T

Blagdon red

• SC&T Board Members

https://www.bristolcitysupporters.org/communicating-with-fans/

"Following today’s announcement from Bristol City FC that Dean Holden has been appointed Head Coach, the Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust wish Dean every success in his new role.

We would also like to take this opportunity to impress on the club how vital we believe it is for all communication with fans to be timely, transparent, consistent and empathetic.

At the time of Lee Johnson’s dismissal back in the first week of July, Steve Lansdown talked of the need to “bring a breath of fresh air into the club”, said the club wanted to find “somebody who can take us that next step” up to the Premier League and explained that the timing of Lee’s dismissal was in order to give the new man “as much time as possible to get ready for the new season”.

He said that the club had in mind “a particular type of person that we want to have come in” and that “the aim is to get into the Premier League as soon as we can”.

At the same time, Mark Ashton told fans that “we have been inundated with applicants, internationally, nationally, coaches/managers from right across the globe”.

While we recognise that it is only right and proper for the club not to provide a running commentary during such a recruitment process, now that it has been concluded we would encourage Mark Ashton to be transparent with fans in explaining the thinking behind it.

Many City supporters have been angered, bewildered and upset over the last couple of months by the way in which their club has communicated with them. From the option of season ticket refunds being hidden in the small print to belated confirmation of the longest serving player’s departure only after he had been forced by media reports to announce it himself, a series of poorly worded and/or poorly timed communications has left many with the impression that the club places little value on keeping fans informed in a timely, transparent manner.

However, as we have said privately and publicly to the club before, we believe that timely, open and empathetic communication with fans is vital if the club is to keep supporters on board. And at a time when, due to Covid-19, we are unable to have any physical contact with the club by attending games, we would suggest that good communication is essential if fans are not to feel an emotional as well as a physical disconnect with their club.

We stand ready, as ever, to act as a sounding board for proposed communications to help the club avoid inadvertently striking what only fans may recognise as the wrong tone."

1 minute ago, Blagdon red said:

"Following today’s announcement from Bristol City FC that Dean Holden has been appointed Head Coach, the Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust wish Dean every success in his new role.

We would also like to take this opportunity to impress on the club how vital we believe it is for all communication with fans to be timely, transparent, consistent and empathetic.

At the time of Lee Johnson’s dismissal back in the first week of July, Steve Lansdown talked of the need to “bring a breath of fresh air into the club”, said the club wanted to find “somebody who can take us that next step” up to the Premier League and explained that the timing of Lee’s dismissal was in order to give the new man “as much time as possible to get ready for the new season”.

He said that the club had in mind “a particular type of person that we want to have come in” and that “the aim is to get into the Premier League as soon as we can”.

At the same time, Mark Ashton told fans that “we have been inundated with applicants, internationally, nationally, coaches/managers from right across the globe”.

While we recognise that it is only right and proper for the club not to provide a running commentary during such a recruitment process, now that it has been concluded we would encourage Mark Ashton to be transparent with fans in explaining the thinking behind it.

Many City supporters have been angered, bewildered and upset over the last couple of months by the way in which their club has communicated with them. From the option of season ticket refunds being hidden in the small print to belated confirmation of the longest serving player’s departure only after he had been forced by media reports to announce it himself, a series of poorly worded and/or poorly timed communications has left many with the impression that the club places little value on keeping fans informed in a timely, transparent manner.

However, as we have said privately and publicly to the club before, we believe that timely, open and empathetic communication with fans is vital if the club is to keep supporters on board. And at a time when, due to Covid-19, we are unable to have any physical contact with the club by attending games, we would suggest that good communication is essential if fans are not to feel an emotional as well as a physical disconnect with their club.

We stand ready, as ever, to act as a sounding board for proposed communications to help the club avoid inadvertently striking what only fans may recognise as the wrong tone."

Very diplomatic and well written.

Shame you can’t put what you are really thinking but there you go!

5 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Has this been sent directly to the club? Will you let us know if you get a direct reply?

8 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Well said ?

2 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

Spot on 

@Blagdon red @Dollymarie @JerrySLO

Whilst were at it can we push the club with regards to a communication regarding SC options for this season, with Covid I have zero desire to attend the stadium anytime soon as I live with people in vulnerable category. Not interested vin watching via TV

I was content to keep my direct debit rolling to support the club but after the last few months I think as a customer the club doesn't deserve my money so will likely cancel my direct debit before the next payment is made. It would be nice to have an update from the club.

I said the other day on another thread that in my view given everything that's happened over the last few weeks, that the club needed to be transparent in their explanation for this appointment. I honestly thought they would have and we'd had received something quite special today to win the customers back over.

After reading Marks statement though, I just feel ripped off and cheated. I can understand now why there's so much frustration because of what Landsdown and Ashton originally said they were looking for to tonight's statement - there is no explanation (or honesty) for what changed and i'm sure there are reasons. Just comments that the process worked and Holden was the best man for the job (just doesn't sit right and feels like a complete lie).

I really hope this works out, I do, and will back the new management team - this could be quite exciting and perhaps 3 heads will be better than 1 (i definately think we'll see more entertaining football than with Lee in charge). But i don't see PL football any time soon and I accept that.

I think your statement is really good but I feel it a waste of your effort as given the lack of communication so far, the club are unlikely to give it any consideration.

Something feels really wrong at this club in the way they value its customers. Sad times really.

1 minute ago, Dynamite Red said:

@Blagdon red @Dollymarie @JerrySLO

Whilst were at it can we push the club with regards to a communication regarding SC options for this season, with Covid I have zero desire to attend the stadium anytime soon as I live with people in vulnerable category. Not interested vin watching via TV

I was content to keep my direct debit rolling to support the club but after the last few months I think as a customer the club doesn't deserve my money so will likely cancel my direct debit before the next payment is made. It would be nice to have an update from the club.

What a shame that you’re not prepared to give the new set-up a chance.  If it goes wrong, then fair enough...

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What a shame that you’re not prepared to give the new set-up a chance.  If it goes wrong, then fair enough...

What a shame that the club has put so little effort into keeping its supporters/customers engaged at such a difficult time. I've had communications from every other organisation I'm a member of on more or less a weekly basis all summer. A theatre company that has had to postpone performances by a year, for example. A holiday company I had a booking with. If City fans feel disconnected and less inclined to generosity when presented with options it won't just be because of the appointment of Dean Holden...although in my case that doesn't help!

7 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

What a shame that the club has put so little effort into keeping its supporters/customers engaged at such a difficult time. I've had communications from every other organisation I'm a member of on more or less a weekly basis all summer. A theatre company that has had to postpone performances by a year, for example. A holiday company I had a booking with. If City fans feel disconnected and less inclined to generosity when presented with options it won't just be because of the appointment of Dean Holden...although in my case that doesn't help!

It’s very unusual for any company to provide updates on the search for new senior staff.  Irrespective of the outcome, I personally thought the club were right to remain silent during the selection process.  That said, I agree that general communication from the club over the summer has been poor, and the media department seems to have been almost non-existent.

i think you’ve been fortunate to be so well-served by companies.  Sadly that has not been my experience.  I have had to battle to get a refund from an airline, and struggled for weeks to get any response from a finance company on an investment.

Excellent post which gives those in charge of running the club more respect than they currently deserve.

Sadly, I don’t think we can expect any transparency from Trashton any time soon. He’ll try and spin it and deflect blame whichever way possible. The bullshitting Brummie is not to be trusted. 

It’s well written, powerful and clearly echoes the collective voice of the majority of miffed fans, so thank you. 

it’s a real shame that nobody in the hierarchy will even bat an eye lid at it. 

This club isn’t ours, we are merely customers and have absolutely no say whatsoever. I mentioned it on a previous thread, but unless one of us becomes a billionaire and buys the club, we never will. 

Archived