IGNORED

Downing and Simpson - Any Insight and youth possibilities

underhanded

3 hours ago, tunnie12345 said:

They have 3 collective relegations between then 2 from league 2 to non league and 1 from league 1 to league 2 :) should fit right in with our ethos... Our ethos being no ambition! 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

3 hours ago, underhanded said:

Just looking into their records now, quite the one sided story there. Simpson did indeed see Carlisle relegated to the conference, but was under transfer embargo. Then led them to two successive promotions to League One. 

Also reached a playoff final with Shrewsbury. So two promotions, one play off final and a youth world cup, with one relegation

??????
amazing how facts tell a different story isn’t it!!

Mark Ashton keeps claiming Keith Downing has two promotions from the Championship to the Premiership - one with West Brom and one with Wolves. I've searched his records, can someone tell me what I've missed?

All I can find is he was an academy youth coach at West Brom in 2010 when they were promoted, and I think he was a youth team coach at Wolves 1999-2004 (record not clear) when Wolves won the play offs in 2003. 

Is Mark Ashton seriously trying to pass off events when he was a youth coach as experience of Championship promotion? It shows a lot of contempt for supporters that he feels it's that easy to deceive us with these lies.

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Let's get this straight. They would have virtually zero input into the development of young England players. All that happens with their clubs. 

I see absolutely no reason why we might expect them to improve our youngsters. Have we let any of our existing youth coaches go - apparently not. 

I cringed when Twentyman asked Downing if they had discussed who would do what between them. His answer was along the lines of 'no, but I'll do whatever I can to support Dean who is a good guy.'

I think all 3 of them have probably been promoted beyond their level of competence and can't believe their luck. Coaches only end up at the FA when no-one will give them a proper job. 

Has Downing been interviewed by Twentyman tonight?  Didn’t hear that?  Or do you mean Ashton?

28 minutes ago, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

To be fair Cooper at Swansea has done a decent job in his first season.

But Cooper worked for several years at the top end of Liverpools academy, helped develop players like sterling and TAA, before moving into the England set up, one of our new coaches wad the manager of Northwich Victoria before moving into the England set up. Hardly the same thing. 

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

Mark Ashton keeps claiming Keith Downing has two promotions from the Championship to the Premiership - one with West Brom and one with Wolves. I've searched his records, can someone tell me what I've missed?

All I can find is he was an academy youth coach at West Brom in 2010 when they were promoted, and I think he was a youth team coach at Wolves 1999-2004 (record not clear) when Wolves won the play offs in 2003. 

Is Mark Ashton seriously trying to pass off events when he was a youth coach as experience of Championship promotion? It shows a lot of contempt for supporters that he feels it's that easy to deceive us with these lies.

Imagine as an Assistant.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Has Downing been interviewed by Twentyman tonight?  Didn’t hear that?  Or do you mean Ashton?

He was interviewed briefly at the end of the show. Not by GT but by someone at the ground. Sounded very enthusiastic, a nice bloke, said lots of nice things about the club and tellingly I thought said something about using his experience to help with recruitment. 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Imagine as an Assistant.

You're going to have to do better than that Dave! As mentioned, he was a youth team coach on both occasions when he was at those clubs and they went up to the Prem, unless there is some other mystery time he was at West Brom or Wolves and secured promotion, that doesn't appear in his, West Brom's, or Wolves records! ?

The reality is that neither of them have either coached or managed at this level for some time, if at all. If they really were all that then at this stage in their careers, why would they be coaching England youth teams? That’s not where anyone with ambition would want to be, so even the offer of an assistant role at Bristol City may well lock enticing, especially considering the FA’s reported financial issues.

25 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

But Cooper worked for several years at the top end of Liverpools academy, helped develop players like sterling and TAA, before moving into the England set up, one of our new coaches wad the manager of Northwich Victoria before moving into the England set up. Hardly the same thing. 

From what I can make out of timelines Sterling had already made his 1st team debut when Cooper took over Liverpool's U18's so yes he was the U18's coach when Sterling was 17/18 but he was playing 1st team football so how much was he involved? As for Trent the timelines don't seem to match up again he was U12's coach when Trent was 9, by the time Trent would have reached 12 years old Cooper was academy manager.

36 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Agreed.

But these two have come out of nowhere to be our senior coaches - utter joke.

Surely Cooper 'came out of nowhere' for Swansea as well? Given he'd not managed/coached a senior football team before them

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He was yeah. Personally found him pretty uninspiring, and said a couple of things which worried me. Basically that it appeared he didn't have any contact with Holden before the approach was made and that the deal was thrown together very quickly in 3 or 4 days.

Must admit I'm concerned about both appointments. Neither enthuse me. 

I don’t think Holden had a say in those appointments at all! It’s all very shart worthy saying they’ve just met & happened in last few days. Maybe staff used to working under the FA won’t be bothered about interference & DH is just used to it. Fair play to Dean, he said the same thing in nearly every interview but you can see why they would have taken to him if he said ‘we never played Benkovic, Palmer. Stopped doing 352 etc vs say Houghton who would have a much less knowledge of our players and given an overall summary. Hardly fair really to assess someone who’s spent 4 years vs someone who would want to assess them 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He was yeah. Personally found him pretty uninspiring, and said a couple of things which worried me. Basically that it appeared he didn't have any contact with Holden before the approach was made and that the deal was thrown together very quickly in 3 or 4 days.

Must admit I'm concerned about both appointments. Neither enthuse me. 

Was that on Sound of the City?  After Ashton had been on?

16 minutes ago, RiverRed said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08n8p8r  at around 1 hour 24 mins

Ah, great, ta....just listened....turned off earlier thinking “Del” the caller was the end of the show.

Thought he spoke fine....albeit was hoping he was gonna come out with a history of knowing Dean that none of us knew.  Dean obviously knows Simpson.

I too am pretty underwhelmed by the appointments of yesterday, yet equally trying to see what the trio could bring to the table and I do think the youth setup connections may help in terms of recruitment. I've also been doing a bit of reading around and it seems Simpson was highly thought of by fans when in Derbys coaching setup, and Carlisle are big fans too. Downings a bit more of a mystery, and agree with Ole that Ashton's politicking of his record was pretty embarrasing. 

I totally get the level of scrutiny is enhanced due to many peoples desire for a high-profile coach (and the bungled nature of his appointment), but I'm almost certain these two appointments would have been greeted fairly positively if the head coach was different. I know that's pretty hypothetical, but I do think some people are getting a little carried away - I guess it's been a pretty crazy year and tensions are naturally heightened anyway.

Archived