IGNORED

Ashley Williams

James54De

That would be awful.

Williams was of a questionable age when he joined- he did well in a number of games but too old IMO.

Korey- yes he had injuries, yes he wasn't quite the same player as before or as he could have if fit grown into, but in no respect should Williams get a renewal and Smith not- quite the reverse if anything.

I still think he proved himself to be a very good defender last year but I'd like to think if he re signed it would be on a reduced a salary and he'd be back up to the likes of Moore and maybe even Vyner as we do seem to be one centre back short in the squad  if playing 3 at the back for the season. He certainly would continue to be a great support / sounding board to the likes of Moore and Vyner in the dressing room and could do a job in the side when required so for that I wouldn't be sad to see him re sign at all. I just don't want him taking game time away from Moore especially.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I thought Williams was our best centre back last season. Maybe about 3 bad games. But most of the time he was class. 

Go back and read comments about him on here earlier in the season and people were saying what a great signing he has been.

He looked good since the return other than that moment of madness.

Happy for us to get someone else in of course. But Williams should be fine for another year otherwise.

Don’t disagree there. He also looked quite competent going forward too... which actually wasn’t hard given his competition under LJ. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I thought Williams was our best centre back last season. Maybe about 3 bad games. But most of the time he was class. 

Go back and read comments about him on here earlier in the season and people were saying what a great signing he has been.

He looked good since the return other than that moment of madness.

Happy for us to get someone else in of course. But Williams should be fine for another year otherwise.

I'd say second best behind Bakes, but agree that I am happy for him to stay on. I wouldn't have him as part of the first choice 3 which would be Kalas, Baker and Moore for me, but if we are going to play 5-3-2 then you do need a decent number of centre backs, so would be strange not to keep him on assuming we have missed out on Dunkley as per media reports. 

Honestly can’t see what he brings to the table. Let himself down badly on two occasions this season, did the ‘model pro’. 

Allowed himself to get so wound up by Ollie Watkins - a kid - that he saw red at the start of a crucial game against a better side, and lord only knows what was going through his mind against Forest.

Both incidents you would be livid with a teenager for, let alone a man of his experience. 

He’s a competent defender but I’d much rather someone like Taylor Moore is given the opportunity. 

I don’t have a problem with it if the management team think his experience is of benefit to the younger players, but question the value for money, can’t imagine he comes too cheaply. 

12 hours ago, RedEyez said:

If we give Williams a contract and not Smith one...

The problem there is we are overloaded with midfielders, we have 3 centre backs, if ash gets a contract then its because we are short handed and not planning to spend money,

It makes sense

There must be a chance that Baker might move on in which case Williams experience could be vital to the likes of Moore and Vyner. It looks like we will play with 3 centre backs which will be the bedrock of our formation and probably a good possibility that we will pick up a young defender on loan from one of the big clubs. Kalas and Williams experience will I think be crucial.

I also get the impression that Williams will be a bit of a mentor for the likes of Palmer, Massengo and some of our emerging talent. Dean is going to need all the experience he can get this season.

It appeared from Holden’s interview that he is likely to play 3 centre backs, so with Benkovic gone that only leaves us Kalas, Baker & Moore under contract, assuming that Vyner is predominantly seen as a RB.

Kalas had a really poor (50%) availability record last season, Baker came off in the first half numerous times, so you would be a brave man to expect to get 40-45 games from both of those two.

Despite arriving in late August & being sent off twice, Williams actually played more minutes than any other central defender last season, so even though I would like to see Taylor Moore get more of a run, there is still a need for another CB, so Holden basically has to decide now whether Williams stays or we look elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

The problem there is we are overloaded with midfielders, we have 3 centre backs, if ash gets a contract then its because we are short handed and not planning to spend money,

It makes sense

Overloaded with midfielders that possess the same attributes that Korey has? Not so sure.

2 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Williams is a good defender there's no doubt about that but he's 35 and I feel we could bring in another player for what we'd pay him. 

We have Vyner and Moore that are more then capable of doing a job there. Joe Low may feature in the bench a few times maybe even Baldwin. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

44 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

There must be a chance that Baker might move on in which case Williams experience could be vital to the likes of Moore and Vyner. It looks like we will play with 3 centre backs which will be the bedrock of our formation and probably a good possibility that we will pick up a young defender on loan from one of the big clubs. Kalas and Williams experience will I think be crucial.

I also get the impression that Williams will be a bit of a mentor for the likes of Palmer, Massengo and some of our emerging talent. Dean is going to need all the experience he can get this season.

I don’t think Baker will move on this summer, think he will get another year extension.

As you and others have said we look like it’s gonna be a back 3, so you need 4 1/2 (stupid number I know) or 5 CBs.  By the 1/2 I mean perhaps a versatile CB.  That could be Vyner.  So you have Kalas, Moore and Baker.  You need one more, if Vyner is your 1/2 covering RWB also.

Benkovic back on loan if Russian interest falls away

Matt Clarke of Brighton, who was on loan at Derby is the kind of footballing CB who’d be good on loan too.

As decent as Williams was, unless it’s a much reduced salary “player-coach” role, I would be looking elsewhere, unless he’s the 1/2?

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Holden will probably play 3 midfielders.

I think we'd need 4 natural midfielders and 2 more attacking. 

We have 4 natural midfielders and 3 attacking. So maybe one of Palmer, Pato or Szmodics are sold or loaned out.

Indeed, that doesnt mention the quality but going by what the liars are implying, holden may have to sell before he can buy 

9 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

No thanks. Let us down twice in one season.

Van Der Hoorn a free agent. Exactly the sort of player we should be looking at. 

Van Der Hoorn will be on Prem Wages (Ayew is on £60k a week there) & will have loads of interest.

Be amazed if we landed him.

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Van Der Hoorn will be on Prem Wages (Ayew is on £60k a week there) & will have loads of interest.

I think it was just Ayew & Baston who they got caught out on not having relegation clauses, remember reading it somewhere previously. Could be wrong though. 

If he's on 30k pw, but a free agent. I'd still take him. He's what we've missed since Webster has gone. 

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Same think he will get much better options than us. 

I honestly don't think we will do much business at all to be honest. 

Reckon 2 players on loan and a free transfer. Maybe 1-2 youngsters for the future but would be really surprised if we did much more than that. 

16 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

His legs have gone and he's got a terrible nack of getting himself sent off or giving away a penalty. Imagine his wages aren't cheap either.

Would rather us get another defender who can start alongside Kalas and get an experienced centre mid. 

Has he? 2 sendings off (however stupid) isn't really that often, and only 3 yellows in 32 appearences!

Archived