IGNORED

Ashley Williams

James54De

If he's kept on as backup and maybe doing a bit more coaching, then I'd be happy to keep him on - wages permitting.

If he stays and we lose Taylor Moore, I'd be mightiliy passed off.

If we're playing 3 at the back, it should be Moore, Kalas, Baker.

Williams and Vyner as back up.

32 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Prepare to be surprised at how many coaching staff we will have I guess. I hear they are talking to him about something along the lines of what they put to Wilbo. Guess we will see but Williams wants to keep himself in the Welsh picture as well. 

18 minutes ago, Superjack said:

If it wasn't for Palmer he'd be the most overrated player in the squad.

An over the hill liability. 

Now that rumours of him joining the coaching staff appear to be unfounded (thank God), just get rid.

The posts appear to contradict each other ?

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I think one of Nagy or Morrell will be sold in this window, if Nagy wants to be here then it would probably be him that stays as the start of last season he looked like one of the best in the league if he can recapture that form then he would be first name on the teamsheet. I don't see us letting Walsh or Massengo leave so that leaves Morrell as the odd one out sadly.

I’d be surprised if we let Morrell go, especially with Korey’s defensive qualities going. I don’t feel we’re overloaded with central midfielders given I think DH wants to play 3 in there.

I’d be surprised if we didn’t cash in on Eliasson though and that would make sense given DH’s preferred formation and NE’s contract situation. Not sure what will happen re Szmodics. If Peterborough want to keep him and we want Ivan Toney, you could see something happening there. 

22 minutes ago, eardun said:

I’d be surprised if we let Morrell go, especially with Korey’s defensive qualities going. I don’t feel we’re overloaded with central midfielders given I think DH wants to play 3 in there.

I’d be surprised if we didn’t cash in on Eliasson though and that would make sense given DH’s preferred formation and NE’s contract situation. Not sure what will happen re Szmodics. If Peterborough want to keep him and we want Ivan Toney, you could see something happening there. 

Not a chance Ivan Toney is coming to AG - forget that.

22 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I wasn’t talking about the relative merits of Baker and Williams as players, I just thought your post saying Baker “lets us down twice, once a month...” was tripe ...

From what I can gather re Baker (going by minutes played per game);

He came off the pitch early 5 times last season - the least since he's been here.

8 times the season before (one of those may have been tactical after 45 mins)

6 times in 17/18 (again, one of those may have been tactical after 45 mins)

A couple (maybe more) may have been precautionary due to potential concussion (there was one recently) which is fair enough. But he does tend to leave the pitch early on numerous occasions during a season although once a month is a bit of an exaggeration but it sometimes feels that way.

If he stays, we need backup for him and Williams can still do a job at this level in that respect.

12 hours ago, The Bard said:

Bullshit.  Williams is a proper player who has achieved exponentially more than Baker ever will

We must be in a minority of two then because I didn't think Williams was anything remotely as bad as people on here make him out to be. In fact I can think of more than a few of our standard 1-0 wins where him (and Baker tbf) were warriors at the back.

40 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We must be in a minority of two then because I didn't think Williams was anything remotely as bad as people on here make him out to be. In fact I can think of more than a few of our standard 1-0 wins where him (and Baker tbf) were warriors at the back.

And I make 3.  The ability of some fans to tar a whole season with one incident always amazes me.

Taylor Moore in please, Ashley Williams out.

Not a bad player obviously. Positionally perhaps our best defender, but then if you can't run you have to be. Two reds in a season is one too many though, and the age decline is becoming marked now.

Come in #29, your time is up.

He's still got a season or three more in him at lower league level.

Williams is 35, another year older. He was good for us on the whole but with playing a back 3 we only have Kalas, Baker, Moore and Vyner. 2 of these aren't championship regulars. I'd like 1 more experienced head in there personally, but someone with a few more years left in them rather than Williams. 

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And I make 3.  The ability of some fans to tar a whole season with one incident always amazes me.

For me, that one incident is a poor example to all the youngsters at the club, so i would be against him being a coach...

And i think he's too old to offer a new deal

8 minutes ago, Riaz said:

For me, that one incident is a poor example to all the youngsters at the club, so i would be against him being a coach...

Applying that logic Norman Hunter and Joe Jordan should never have been allowed anywhere near the club. Tempers get frayed, it’s football. People moan about lack of passion, can’t level that at Williams even if it was misguided.

19 minutes ago, Selred said:

Williams is 35, another year older. He was good for us on the whole but with playing a back 3 we only have Kalas, Baker, Moore and Vyner. 2 of these aren't championship regulars. I'd like 1 more experienced head in there personally, but someone with a few more years left in them rather than Williams. 

That’s my view too.  Get another Benkovic-type on loan (Matt Clarke ?) and we’d be well set.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Applying that logic Norman Hunter and Joe Jordan should never have been allowed anywhere near the club. Tempers get frayed, it’s football. People moan about lack of passion, can’t level that at Williams even if it was misguided.

Wasnt just that tho was it. He didnt just lose his temper - he had alot of thinking time and blatantly went over and elbowed the lad, right in front of the ref...  knowing it was a massive game for us.

Should have ****** him off there and then.

17 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Wasnt just that tho was it. He didnt just lose his temper - he had alot of thinking time and blatantly went over and elbowed the lad, right in front of the ref...  knowing it was a massive game for us.

Should have ****** him off there and then.

Exactly right. It was calculated and selfish. Must win game to keep the season alive and he did that. It's not like he's some young superstar who just needs a little guidance to kick him on, he's an aging player whose legs have gone and has a bad temper. 

After that red card he shouldn't ever have been anywhere near our first team ever again. 

He's a bottom half of championship defender at best and is only getting worse, for the purposes we got him of covering an injury crises he was fine but he's been a mainstay of an awful defense and has really only shown competence in back to the walls circumstances, if we're planning to play next season defending in our own box the whole time then we'd might as well throw in the towel now. 

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

Jesus.  Joey Barton and Lee Bowlyer are managers.  get off your high horse.

Archived