Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Why Have People Lost Their Minds?

1 minute ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Nah, more along the lines of life goes on. Covid hasnt beat me, ditto everything else. 

Ive a club that ive supported through thick and thin to a new season affected by covid, with the optimism that brings

It's a crap league this year and we can achieve with the squad we have. 

That's as far as it goes as we haven't kicked a ball in anger yet. 

Good to know. I've understood you with one post. You've failed to understand anyone else in the thread. Please listen.

13 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

No, the fans have made it harder by whipping themselves in to a frenzy based on hearsay and rumour. 

legitimately what are people angry at?, The sky?? 

Good trolling Ralph, nice one.

Give yourself a pat on the back just like that **** Ashton is probably doing right now.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Simple - because the club raised expectations, dithered for 5 weeks and communicated like amateurs. That’s the crux of it.

The anger is justified - we all want Holden to do well, but the board have made it 10x harder for him through this farce.

The Club didn't raise expectations it was the people on here, if you look at previous appointments this shouldn't come as any surprise, we've regularly had internal appointments over the last 20 years

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 2
2 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Nah, more along the lines of life goes on. Covid hasnt beat me, ditto everything else. 

Ive a club that ive supported through thick and thin to a new season affected by covid, with the optimism that brings

Fair play - I’m starting to think people like you are on the clubs payroll. Unbelievable. 

• Robin 1

I'm totally disgusted with this appointment. We've sacked LJ, paid him out of his contract and got someone with less experience. And all this after 5 weeks of waiting when the likes of Gerrard and Hughton have been in the frame. I've nothing against Holden but it's extremely disappointing and I expect we will be in a relegation battle this season. Poor bloke will be up against it from day 1. 

23 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Today we've appointed a new manager, it's from the clubs perspective who they feel can best run and do with resources at their disposal. 

Clearly not what the fans want, but when was football about mob rule? 

Even Pulis didnt elicit this much hate and he wad utterly loathed on appointment. 

Why are fans so quick to dive in with hate and the rest?

In 32 years supporting city I've never seen such a rabid frenzy before the new guy has managed a team for real

Why now? What does that rage solve? 

Whose standards are you holding the new guy too and why all of the utter knee jerk? 

Sitting as an exile the responses are both bewildering and alarming. Do our fans hate their own club that much? 

Or is it that they've got caught up with with a divine right that we are somehow a big club. 

I've never been so embarrassed to be a fan to be honest.

I know it's not a popular appointment and I'd have gone for Cook or Hughton but agreed it's a massive bedwetting overreaction from some. You never know. They could do well. Got to be more entertaining than the last 2 years.... I think the social media and long wait has contributed to a bit of a frenzy...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

Clearly this thread is going to bring into sharp focus who are the happy clappers on this forum, who can see no wrong in anything this club does

Well done for confirming your membership of that particular club, as that’s clearly where you are, if you think the fans’ reaction to this **** up is ott or unjustified.

Happy Clapper? 

You've read my post history right? 

Oh my days 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for that. 

I'm assuming people will be claiming  fans are mushrooms or matryrdom next

This is getting cringeworthy.

I'm out, sharpen your pitchforks or whatever, and shout at the sky over nothing. 

gadzooks!! 

Holden could have been appointed the day after Lee left. Yes there would have been outcry and backlash but not as much as this. 

Earlier today I went past the new trading ground, loads of builders making a fantastic facility happen. Off the pitch we have wonderful facilities, we need a top manager to attract top players. Not a couple of unde 21 assistants used to coaching kids who are just delighted to play for their country. 

Yes I am pissed off at not taking the opportunity to change.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

This isn't about covid, it's about the Bristol City FC. Actually with all the ramifications of that horrible virus we could have done with a lift but instead we get a massive kick in the nuts. SL should not have said what he did and then expect us to take it lying down, that ain't me!!

32 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Today we've appointed a new manager, it's from the clubs perspective who they feel can best run and do with resources at their disposal. 

Even Pulis didnt elicit this much hate and he wad utterly loathed on appointment. 

In 32 years supporting city I've never seen such a rabid frenzy before the new guy has managed a team for real

Whose standards are you holding the new guy too and why all of the utter knee jerk? 

Sitting as an exile the responses are both bewildering and alarming. Do our fans hate their own club that much? 

Or is it that they've got caught up with with a divine right that we are somehow a big club. 

Knee jerk? We’ve been united against this shitshow for weeks now.

The reason for the outcry is simple; a huge opportunity missed. High quality and realistic candidates available, the club well established as a top-half Championship club flirting with the play offs. New stadium, new training ground. A real change to make a statement and push on to the next level. Promises made by Lansdown about ambition and the need for a breath of fresh air.

Instead we get the bloke who puts out the cones, with no experience whatsoever. And we waited FIVE WEEKS for it.

As fans, we’ve been sold a lie. There is no genuine ambition.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
16 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

We looked for a manager, head coach. 

We've got one

I heard the interviews., i wasn't going all out like some have 

Blaming others for anger is just weird at this point. What does it solve? How is that supporting the club? 

presumably fans support the club, not a singular manager nor chairmen or Ceo etc

Isn’t that exactly what you’re doing?

Can you empathise with why fans are unhappy, even if you aren’t?

• Like 1

Other than popping in to look at the transfer forum I think I may consider taking a sabbatical from posting on OTIB for a while. The vitriol and personal abuse that's been aimed at some of the people who run the club, dressed up as we are passionate about our club, has been too much. In a week where we've celebrated the memory of Harry Dolman I wonder what he'd have made of it all. Had this forum and social media existed in 1967 imagine the furore as he made us wait a month after sacking Fred Ford before appointing Alan Dicks, a man with no managerial experience, on the recommendation of a rival chairman and without any thought given to the feelings of City supporters who didn't have a scooby who he was. What a disgrace! 

• Like 5
31 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

If you don’t understand now then , I’m afraid, you never will. 

30 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

You cannot possibly be as embarassed as I am? 🙃 Because I am very very embarassed indeed 😄

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Judda said:

.. I think the social media and long wait has contributed to a bit of a frenzy...

It has. If SL had gone on Talksport and said ‘Covid has changed everything, we thought LJ had gone as far as he could but, in these very uncertain times,we have come to decide that continuity is the order of the day, so we have decided to not interview, but to ask Dean Holden to step up and finish what LJ started’, many of us would’ve said “aww, disappointing, but I understand”. But SL did NOT say any of that, he said the COMPLETE reverse of that. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Happy Clapper? 

You've read my post history right? 

Oh my days 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for that. 

I'm assuming people will be claiming  fans are mushrooms or matryrdom next

This is getting cringeworthy.

I'm out, sharpen your pitchforks or whatever, and shout at the sky over nothing. 

gadzooks!! 

Not interested in your post history at the moment to be honest, but what made you think it would be a smart idea to start a thread slagging off fans at a time like this??

If you really can’t see why people are pissed off, you haven’t got your finger on the pulse of the fanbase, have you!

@RalphMilnesLeftFoot I'm an exile as well, so see it from a distance as you do.

I can completely understand how for some fans the events (or lack of) of this summer are the last straw. It's a culmination of everything. It's the way the East End was demolished, Coppell, and David James. It's the way ST holders were moved around during the rebuild, Adam Baker, and Beryl in the ticket office. It's the White Stripes, O'dowda staying and Korey being chucked, and banning the word "Ultras" on flags. It's comic sans on training tops. It's Pack to Cardiff, Reid to Cardiff, and Aden Flint (via Middlesbrough) to Cardiff. It's Lisa Knights, Tim Shires out and Downsy in, and it's the badge. It's Mark Ashton's shiny suit, doubling the price of a kid's ST in the Lansdown, and it's Diony, Marinovic and Gustav F*****g Engvall. It's a typo in every press release, £10 per game and £25 for a cardboard cut-out, and it's Cotterill sacked and "Little Lee" appointed. Finally it's Lee Johnson's assistant being appointed after a 6 week search and a "thorough process".

It seems to me that what has happened over the past 6 weeks, and to an extent the past 16 years, is entirely within the club's control. SL, MA, JL and the other key figures at the club control the comms, control the personnel (let's set aside the inevitable transfers of players like Bryan, Reid and Brownhill), and they control the cash. They control who is hired and who is fired. They control the processes that decide that. They control the way that is communicated.

On their own none of the things above are enough to warrant bed sheets and protests. On their own they can be explained. Individually you can choke them down with a stiff drink or they can be reversed or reshaped to be acceptable to all. But together. Together, over the course of years, those things wear a human down. When one of those things happens every few months, to an institution that means so much to you, eventually resolve cracks.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1
2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Other than popping in to look at the transfer forum I think I may consider taking a sabbatical from posting on OTIB for a while. The vitriol and personal abuse that's been aimed at some of the people who run the club, dressed up as we are passionate about our club, has been too much. In a week where we've celebrated the memory of Harry Dolman I wonder what he'd have made of it all. Had this forum and social media existed in 1967 imagine the furore as he made us wait a month after sacking Fred Ford before appointing Alan Dicks, a man with no managerial experience, on the recommendation of a rival chairman and without any thought given to the feelings of City supporters who didn't have a scooby who he was. What a disgrace! 

indeed great post. 

I'm out of likes for today

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

No, the fans have made it harder by whipping themselves in to a frenzy based on hearsay and rumour. 

legitimately what are people angry at?, The sky?? 

You leave the sky out of this!  i can assure you, that is a path you do not want to tread!😄

33 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Just misled and underwhelmed.

All aimed at the board and Mark Ashton. Most people seem to have sympathy for Dean Holden.

I hope Dean is a roaring success as by definition that would mean City are a roaring success.

But if you honestly believe your own words, there is little point discussing.

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

You cannot possibly be as embarassed as I am? 🙃 Because I am very very embarassed indeed 😄

Are you even more embarrassed than an embarassed thing at an embarrassment convention at the University of embarrassed?

Edited by Southport Red
Just now, ExiledAjax said:

@RalphMilnesLeftFoot I'm an exile as well, so see it from a distance as you do.

I can completely understand how for some fans the events (or lack of) of this summer are the last straw. It's a culmination of everything. It's the way the East End was demolished, Coppell, and David James. It's the way ST holders were moved around during the rebuild, Adam Baker, and Beryl in the ticket office. It's the White Stripes, O'dowda staying and Korey being chucked, and banning the word "Ultras" on flags. It's comic sans on training tops. It's Pack to Cardiff, Reid to Cardiff, and Aden Flint (via Middlesbrough) to Cardiff. It's Lisa Knights, Tim Shires out and Downsy in, and it's the badge. It's Mark Ashton's shiny suit, doubling the price of a kid's ST in the Lansdown, and it's Diony, Marinovic and Gustav F*****g Engvall. It's a typo in every press release, £10 per game and £25 for a cardboard cut-out, and it's Cotterill sacked and "Little Lee" appointed. Finally it's Lee Johnson's assistant being appointed after a 6 week search and a "thorough process".

It seems to me that what has happened over the past 6 weeks, and to an extent the past 16 years, is entirely within the club's control. SL, MA, JL and the other key figures at the club control the comms, control the personnel (let's set aside the inevitable transfers of players like Bryan, Reid and Brownhill), and they control the cash. They control who is hired and who is fired. They control the processes that decide that. They control the way that is communicated.

On their own none of the things above are enough to warrant bed sheets and protests. On their own they can be explained. Individually you can choke them down with a stiff drink or they can be reversed or reshaped to be acceptable to all. But together. Together, over the course of years, those things wear a human down. When one of those things happens every few months, to an institution that means so much to you, eventually resolve cracks.

Brilliant post and was what I was hoping for when posting. 

Ran out of likes

Basically because we're not in tbe cauldron and have taken the step out, we see things differently. 

Fair comment? 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Judda said:

I know it's not a popular appointment and I'd have gone for Cook or Hughton but agreed it's a massive bedwetting overreaction from some. You never know. They could do well. Got to be more entertaining than the last 2 years.... I think the social media and long wait has contributed to a bit of a frenzy...

It’s not about Holden.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Cheerio, close the door behind you.

34 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

The hate isn’t with DH or the coaching staff but lies from Lansdown and deafening silence from the club for 6 weeks.

Exactly this.

I think people are getting to breaking point with how this club is being run now.

The whole Bristol Sport corporate bull****.

The ever increasing pricing.

The sly small print in regards to season card refunds.

The odious and contemptuous crap that comes from Mark Ashton and Jon Lansdown.

The clear disdain for fans.

The joke of a media this club runs. Its amateurish and embarrassing.

The deafening silence. Especially when the going gets tough.

The outright lies that is spouted from Steve Lansdown

The constant bizarre appointments of our most crucial and important signing. Being the "head coach" (not manager)

The odious slime that is Mark Ashton. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1