IGNORED

Twentyman

JBFC II

Just now, Clevedon Red said:

Geoff did really well. Ashton started the response to pretty much all the questions with one word.....listen. It was like he felt the question being asked was out of order and that he shouldn’t have to answer it but felt he should to shut him up.

Isn't that a commonly used delaying tactic in negotiations? I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before.

8 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It seems people on here always have to have a scapegoat to blame when they're unhappy. It was LJ (both as a manager and a player), previously Liam Fontaine when he was playing and various other people before that. The latest is Mark Ashton who I'm sure is only following orders from SL but people have taken a dislike to him. It's a pity we can't be a bit more united as a club and be a bit more objective in our opinions

If the board wanted a united club they would have appointed Hughton, or even Cook (as he seemed to be most people's second choice). Also let s remember SL is on record after LJs dismissal saying we needed a breath of fresh air, then they go and appointed Holden who was very much part of the stale setup that had overseen us play progressively poorer football for 2.5 seasons, culminating in our poorest league finish since Cotts took us back up.

So according to Ashton we had a comprehensive five week process where  out of nearly 100 applicants the top 10 were interviewed. It was then narrowed down to 4 applicants  (presumably including Hughton and Cook) for a second interview. Ashton and JL then decided that the best applicant was ............ Dean Holden. Despite  having been part of the previous failed regime, despite no managerial experience and with next to nothing on his CV. 

‘But “he knows the players”. Of course he bloody well does he’s been working here for 4 1/2 years.

It could only happen at Bristol City.

I would like to express my thanks to Geoff.. his questions were very probing, very clever and it got Ashton's back up and I for one was getting mad listening to him lying through his teeth; that is how he came across I hasten to add. I have hardly ever criticised MA before but he got both barrels from me after that performance. 

3 minutes ago, markcarter said:

When Ashton said several times that Holden was clearly the best candidate, he didn’t ask him how someone who has managed 5 dead matches is a better candidate than one who has achieved 3 promotions.

he did in a way as he said something like (just paraphrasing here) deans experience only have manage for 5 games in the championship..

Mark Ashton is so slippery when asked who decision to get rid of Macca, straight away he threw Dean under the bus saying it was his decision what a coward..

Fair play to Geoff he really tried to get the answers and had Ashton Squirming, and you could tell he knew Aston was lying and talking Bollocks..

15 minutes ago, Warwickshire Red said:

bad link. Check BBC Sounds page/app.

Yep, to all those saying iplayer, get on the BBC Sounds App. It's far superior to iplayer and user friendly (And will in future replace it as far as radio is concerned, as far as I'm aware)

I also thought GT was excellent tonight.  

So from the bits I heard and translating the MA spin...

Fam and Elliason “ongoing” meaning if their agents get them clubs they’ll be off. But like COD really except nobody wanted to touch him in the end.

DH has the same remit as LJ, except he really doesn’t. Top half finish will do I reckon. 

DH was the right candidate. I never heard him say best at any point, which leads me to think he was selected because there’s too much unknown with COVID and therefore cash, so they brought the guy in who knows the structure best. The fact that he’s on a 12 month rolling gives the board a “free shot” in their eyes. If it doesn’t work out he’s cheap to dismiss and hey maybe the cash will be back to normal by then.

Seemed steadfast in not apologising for the communication issues. He could have even said re: Korey, “look, it doesn’t look great, it could have been better and we will look at it as a wider issue” but just stayed in a stubborn tone about how the club couldn’t have done much else.

Said transfers were approved and controlled by LJ and now DH, the tone suggested though (as it has previously) that it’s more to do with “the recruitment team” and they have to select from the pool they’re given.

Overall a lot of bs from Ashton. Still holding the carrot over the fans that we are ambitious whilst not getting into the fact that on paper this hasn’t looked it in the slightest. I could have forgiven some of it if there was even a shred of humility in there but clearly there wasn’t. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Which players are dross in your opinion? And is definitely him that decides who to buy?

What do you think Ashton's role is then?

Do BCFC have a bespoke Director of Transfers or is it simply unusual at City that the CEO does not get involved in transfers & by that, I mean the important bit - sign off?

12 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Isn't that a commonly used delaying tactic in negotiations? I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before.

Yes, it’s page 1 of the rule book (I Train Executives in negotiation skills and Media skills, Ashton ran through pages 1 to 7 of the handbook tonight ?

5 minutes ago, Redland said:

So according to Ashton we had a comprehensive five week process where  out of nearly 100 applicants the top 10 were interviewed. It was then narrowed down to 4 applicants  (presumably including Hughton and Cook) for a second interview. Ashton and JL then decided that the best applicant was ............ Dean Holden. Despite  having been part of the previous failed regime, despite no managerial experience and with next to nothing on his CV. 

‘But “he knows the players”. Of course he bloody well does he’s been working here for 4 1/2 years.

It could only happen at Bristol City.

We are very close now to reaching full tinpot Rovers mode. 

Well not that close, level 1 full tinpot Rovers mode is getting relegated to the Conference by a team wearing your own kit who have nothing to play for after being in the relegation zone for about half an hour all season. 

But this is officially level 2 full tinpot rovers mode. 

16 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

Geoff did really well. Ashton started the response to pretty much all the questions with one word.....listen. It was like he felt the question being asked was out of order and that he shouldn’t have to answer it but felt he should to shut him up.

‘ listen ‘ is like ‘ I am glad you asked me that question ‘ it is padding which buys time to find the adequate reply. 

I personally hate it when people reply to a question with ‘ listen ‘. I am going to frigging ‘ listen ‘ because I’ve just asked a question and want to hear the response. 

42 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

He did - but it was a Twentyman masterclass in asking every awkward question and getting the best he could out of Ashton.

Worth a listen. Will be on the iplayer later.

Reckon Twentyman has watched a bit of Clarkson, Morgan, Marr and Paxman during lockdown. Like a terrier tonight. Thoroughly enjoyed his persistence. 

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'd love to go back and listen to this, but i just know I would lose it when the slime ball opens his gob.

Listen, listen, listen  ...  We've listened, pal

**** off!

My Mrs told me off for calling him all the names under the sun whilst I was in the garden. I think the neighbours know how I feel though. ???

38 minutes ago, RAD_Red said:

“I spoke to Lee numerous times every day”.

Why? This just shows how MA has far too much control at City and likely had a significant say in the new coach.

Why would the CEO need to speak to the manager multiple times daily, surely LJ would have been focused on picking the team, coaching etc - things which MA should have no input in?

This. What a post. 

Fwiw, when GT said to MA about who has the final decisions on incoming players, slimeball started getting his knickers in a right twist; "you've asked me this before Geoff and I'll say it again... the Head Coach". ??????

10 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I would like to express my thanks to Geoff.. his questions were very probing, very clever and it got Ashton's back up and I for one was getting mad listening to him lying through his teeth; that is how he came across I hasten to add. I have hardly ever criticised MA before but he got both barrels from me after that performance. 

He sounds like Dominic Cummings?

19 minutes ago, markcarter said:

When Ashton said several times that Holden was clearly the best candidate, he didn’t ask him how someone who has managed 5 dead matches is a better candidate than one who has achieved 3 promotions.

He said ‘right’ candidate. Don’t remember him ever saying ‘best’ candidate. I thought that was quite revealing. 

26 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It seems people on here always have to have a scapegoat to blame when they're unhappy. It was LJ (both as a manager and a player), previously Liam Fontaine when he was playing and various other people before that. The latest is Mark Ashton who I'm sure is only following orders from SL but people have taken a dislike to him. It's a pity we can't be a bit more united as a club and be a bit more objective in our opinions

You don't believe a CEO should be held accountable then? Nice work if you can get it.

17 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Yep, to all those saying iplayer, get on the BBC Sounds App. It's far superior to iplayer and user friendly (And will in future replace it as far as radio is concerned, as far as I'm aware)

I also thought GT was excellent tonight.  

Don’t know if I’m being stupid but don’t know what I’m searching for. Searched Twentyman and only his mid-morning show came up?

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You don't believe a CEO should be held accountable then? Nice work if you can get it.

What should MA be held accountable for?

Presumably:

1/ The length of time it has taken to make and announce a new head coach.

2/ The actual appointment itself.

3/ The communication around KS not being offered a new contract.

4/ The sacking of JM.

Am I missing anything from that list?

I’m not sure he is entirely accountable for all of them.

COYR.

13 minutes ago, Pound Lane Red said:

Reckon Twentyman has watched a bit of Clarkson, Morgan, Marr and Paxman during lockdown. Like a terrier tonight. Thoroughly enjoyed his persistence. 

Yes, he seems to think in Paxman's terms: "Why is this lying barsteward lying to me?" !

Archived