IGNORED

Twentyman

JBFC II

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

It seems people on here always have to have a scapegoat to blame when they're unhappy. It was LJ (both as a manager and a player), previously Liam Fontaine when he was playing and various other people before that. The latest is Mark Ashton who I'm sure is only following orders from SL but people have taken a dislike to him. It's a pity we can't be a bit more united as a club and be a bit more objective in our opinions

Club Blind

Theres a few around here

“We were under no financial constraints from Steve during the process”

”the one thing the lansdowns don’t do, is things on the cheap”

”Famara and Nic will Leave as we have to trade, club has to be self sufficient”

pretty much direct quotes, pretty much contradictory. 

in my opinion we just missed the biggest chance to bet big on promotion, weak league this year, Other clubs in turmoil, FFP unlikely to be imposed. If ever you were gonna go for it now is the time. But we haven’t.

i said a month ago, forget all the PR Ashton will come out with, which he obliged with tonight. We have chosen, not to name an experienced manager who knows what to do, but to hope. That is not a criticism, but please MA do  not then try and tell us the aim is really prem football, cos that is just nonsense. 

you can’t buy a dog and then expect everyone to agree it’s a cat. We’ve bought our dog! 

2 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

“We were under no financial constraints from Steve during the process”

”the one thing the lansdowns don’t do, is things on the cheap”

”Famara and Nic will Leave as we have to trade, club has to be self sufficient”

pretty much direct quotes, pretty much contradictory. 

in my opinion we just missed the biggest chance to bet big on promotion, weak league this year, Other clubs in turmoil, FFP unlikely to be imposed. If ever you were gonna go for it now is the time. But we haven’t.

i said a month ago, forget all the PR Ashton will come out with, which he obliged with tonight. We have chosen, not to name an experienced manager who knows what to do, but to hope. That is not a criticism, but please MA do  not then try and tell us the aim is really prem football, cos that is just nonsense. 

you can’t buy a dog and then expect everyone to agree it’s a cat. We’ve bought our dog! 

was that said?

57 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Don’t know if I’m being stupid but don’t know what I’m searching for. Searched Twentyman and only his mid-morning show came up?

Sorry, I'm not sure how quickly the shows go up... I'll do some digging.

Edit: Digging done. If you go to search and then Geoff Twentyman you won't find it. Go to the Stations & Schedules option and then Radio Bristol and you should find it there.

45 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

So Jon and Mark interviewed, and eventually appointed DH. Neither of them are football people. I would ******* LOVE to know what DH said to convince them that he was the man for the job. 

Ive got a rough idea!

slime ball: we are still paying lees salary, so can only afford to pay you half what he was on, is that ok?

dean: yes

chris: sod that, i know what im worth

slime ball: we need to sell fam and niclas, and will only replace them with loans, free transfers and youth players.

chris: but the squad will be weaker, we need better players to challenge for promotion.

slime ball: whenever i or steve or jon tell you to do something will you do it?

chris: that doesnt sit well with me, ive won promotions from the championship before, so surely you should listen to what i say

slime ball: we will only give you a year, is that ok?

chris: it will take longer than that to get rid of the dross you have signed,,, where would you like me to play marley watkins?

slime ball: any other questions?

dean: no, i will do anything to get this job.

chris: how have you managed to blag this job from a billionaire who should know better?

1 hour ago, lenred said:

When pushed he said that his job is not based upon hitting a specific league position. Previously said that promotion is still very much the overall target though. 

Seems to be that Holden is in pretty much temporary charge until Covid goes away. The remit is not to get relegated and then he will be replaced by someone to take us to the next level when we can afford it.

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think so. Many young ones and loans.

Some were bought to get us from struggling championship to mid table, upper half. Taylor and Wright for example.

If we name all signings then I expect there's far more good ones than bad ones.

Who in our squad now do you think was a bad signing?

Gilmartin. Hunt. Williams. ODowda. Watkins. Adelakun. 

Most clubs don't have a turnover of players on as high wages as we do. 

44 minutes ago, James54De said:

23 minutes ago, RedM said:

Seems to be that Holden is in pretty much temporary charge until Covid goes away. The remit is not to get relegated and then he will be replaced by someone to take us to the next level when we can afford it.

Not according to Ashton.!!

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think so. Many young ones and loans.

Some were bought to get us from struggling championship to mid table, upper half. Taylor and Wright for example.

If we name all signings then I expect there's far more good ones than bad ones.

Who in our squad now do you think was a bad signing?

Shouldnt we be looking at the signings made by the club over the duration of ljs tenure? 

if not, i will start with gilmartin, rowe, watkins, szmodics, palmer, hunt, adelakun and williams.

and theres also more, who havent been very good yet but might come good... odowda, walsh, nagy, moore, and baker who im sure will be leaving when his contract is up. Wells can score goals, but his overall game is pretty poor.

so we have Bentley, kalas, Dasilva, fam and elliasson, who are our best players, and a few more like paterson and weimann who are good pros, but arent worth much on the transfer market. Apologies if ive missed any out.

MA is no doubt a ruthless operator and skilled in the art of spin and controls communications a bit too rigidly.  But some of the criticism is unfair. He has given two straight answers to two interesting questions and were the reality different then, realistically, he would evade rather than lie with direct answers.

1) So, the head coach does get the final word in transfers in and out.  That's really good to hear.  No doubt there are pressures from MA and SL but any head coach with the Club's best interests at heart and will, for example, agree to sell Diedhiou and Eliasson if they won't sign a contract extension.    No doubt the two new coaches will have input on recruitment as well as DH and in the 4-4-2 article it said Simpson has an eye for a player.  He will also know the best young players around and their availability.

2) It was Dean's decision to sack Jamie McAllister. They are two very different characters. I've no doubt Jamie has his merits but he seems more 'old school' than DH.   Old School methods really don't work well with young players anymore and Simpson in an excellent video interview linked on one of the threads on here emphasised this.  So DH has gone out and recruited like-minded coaches.  Can't really blame MA for that or for answering with honesty.

I'm no great fan of MA but there is a bit of a baying mob mentality at the moment on here.  He's given two very clear and straight answers  as above and it's reassuring that DH has the final say on recruitment and retention.  Well done to Geoff T for an excellent interview.   

2 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

MA is no doubt a ruthless operator and skilled in the art of spin and controls communications a bit too rigidly.  But some of the criticism is unfair. He has given two straight answers to two interesting questions and were the reality different then, realistically, he would evade rather than lie with direct answers.

1) So, the head coach does get the final word in transfers in and out.  That's really good to hear.  No doubt there are pressures from MA and SL but any head coach with the Club's best interests at heart and will, for example, agree to sell Diedhiou and Eliasson if they won't sign a contract extension.    No doubt the two new coaches will have input on recruitment as well as DH and in the 4-4-2 article it said Simpson has an eye for a player.  He will also know the best young players around and their availability.

2) It was Dean's decision to sack Jamie McAllister. They are two very different characters. I've no doubt Jamie has his merits but he seems more 'old school' than DH.   Old School methods really don't work well with young players anymore and Simpson in an excellent video interview linked on one of the threads on here emphasised this.  So DH has gone out and recruited like-minded coaches.  Can't really blame MA for that or for answering with honesty.

I'm no great fan of MA but there is a bit of a baying mob mentality at the moment on here.  He's given two very clear and straight answers  as above and it's reassuring that DH has the final say on recruitment and retention.  Well done to Geoff T for an excellent interview.   

I’m confused.

Are you saying the head coach signs the players he identified, or merely chooses those presented to him?

2 hours ago, Redland said:

So according to Ashton we had a comprehensive five week process where  out of nearly 100 applicants the top 10 were interviewed. It was then narrowed down to 4 applicants  (presumably including Hughton and Cook) for a second interview. Ashton and JL then decided that the best applicant was ............ Dean Holden. Despite  having been part of the previous failed regime, despite no managerial experience and with next to nothing on his CV. 

‘But “he knows the players”. Of course he bloody well does he’s been working here for 4 1/2 years.

It could only happen at Bristol City.

“Right fit for Bristol City”.  I’m sure he was, because the others wanted control that you weren’t willing to give up.

2 hours ago, RobArnold10 said:

So from the bits I heard and translating the MA spin...

Fam and Elliason “ongoing” meaning if their agents get them clubs they’ll be off. But like COD really except nobody wanted to touch him in the end.

DH has the same remit as LJ, except he really doesn’t. Top half finish will do I reckon. 

DH was the right candidate. I never heard him say best at any point, which leads me to think he was selected because there’s too much unknown with COVID and therefore cash, so they brought the guy in who knows the structure best. The fact that he’s on a 12 month rolling gives the board a “free shot” in their eyes. If it doesn’t work out he’s cheap to dismiss and hey maybe the cash will be back to normal by then.

Seemed steadfast in not apologising for the communication issues. He could have even said re: Korey, “look, it doesn’t look great, it could have been better and we will look at it as a wider issue” but just stayed in a stubborn tone about how the club couldn’t have done much else.

Said transfers were approved and controlled by LJ and now DH, the tone suggested though (as it has previously) that it’s more to do with “the recruitment team” and they have to select from the pool they’re given.

Overall a lot of bs from Ashton. Still holding the carrot over the fans that we are ambitious whilst not getting into the fact that on paper this hasn’t looked it in the slightest. I could have forgiven some of it if there was even a shred of humility in there but clearly there wasn’t. 

And Holden (and Simpson and Downing) need to be adamant the players they rate go into the funnel and processed properly.  If he doesn’t do that, he will follow the sane fate as LJ.

Just now, Super said:

Pat Lam is a big name in Rugby. Holden is a nobody.

Financially appointing a big name in rugby is much much easier than in football, so there really is no comparison. 

Doesn’t detract from the fact that appointing Holden, after 5 weeks and ‘100’ applicants, is totally bizarre and ridiculous though

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

It seems people on here always have to have a scapegoat to blame when they're unhappy. It was LJ (both as a manager and a player), previously Liam Fontaine when he was playing and various other people before that. The latest is Mark Ashton who I'm sure is only following orders from SL but people have taken a dislike to him. It's a pity we can't be a bit more united as a club and be a bit more objective in our opinions

The blokes a smarmy T***

• Admin
2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Please tell me that your user name is in relation to our ground and not the person 

Archived