Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Twentyman


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It seems people on here always have to have a scapegoat to blame when they're unhappy. It was LJ (both as a manager and a player), previously Liam Fontaine when he was playing and various other people before that. The latest is Mark Ashton who I'm sure is only following orders from SL but people have taken a dislike to him. It's a pity we can't be a bit more united as a club and be a bit more objective in our opinions

Sounded like the other way around from that interview with GT.  Ashton kept mentioning ‘keeping SL updated’ and ‘talking Steve through the process and recommendations’.   Sounds like all the trust and decision making is laid by SL to MA to me with JL sitting by his side as some kind of token Lansdown family representative.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It seems people on here always have to have a scapegoat to blame when they're unhappy. It was LJ (both as a manager and a player), previously Liam Fontaine when he was playing and various other people before that. The latest is Mark Ashton who I'm sure is only following orders from SL but people have taken a dislike to him. It's a pity we can't be a bit more united as a club and be a bit more objective in our opinions

I'm a bit confused by it. People say he signs the players based on no evidence from what I've seen, someone please correct me if they know for sure he does sign the players without the managers permission.

But even if that is true, which can work fine as it works at a number of other clubs, I look at the players we have signed and I think, why do people think it's so bad? Can't really see many that haven't been good or at least okay for the fee paid. Can be improved of course, but it has since Engvall days and hopefully they keep improving it.

He has sold players for ridiculous money. And we have beaten numerous teams to signing young players too.

People might not like how he talks. But the job he's doing, has he done that bad?

  • Like 4
  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Clevedon Red said:

Geoff did really well. Ashton started the response to pretty much all the questions with one word.....listen. It was like he felt the question being asked was out of order and that he shouldn’t have to answer it but felt he should to shut him up.

Isn't that a commonly used delaying tactic in negotiations? I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It seems people on here always have to have a scapegoat to blame when they're unhappy. It was LJ (both as a manager and a player), previously Liam Fontaine when he was playing and various other people before that. The latest is Mark Ashton who I'm sure is only following orders from SL but people have taken a dislike to him. It's a pity we can't be a bit more united as a club and be a bit more objective in our opinions

If the board wanted a united club they would have appointed Hughton, or even Cook (as he seemed to be most people's second choice). Also let s remember SL is on record after LJs dismissal saying we needed a breath of fresh air, then they go and appointed Holden who was very much part of the stale setup that had overseen us play progressively poorer football for 2.5 seasons, culminating in our poorest league finish since Cotts took us back up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So according to Ashton we had a comprehensive five week process where  out of nearly 100 applicants the top 10 were interviewed. It was then narrowed down to 4 applicants  (presumably including Hughton and Cook) for a second interview. Ashton and JL then decided that the best applicant was ............ Dean Holden. Despite  having been part of the previous failed regime, despite no managerial experience and with next to nothing on his CV. 

‘But “he knows the players”. Of course he bloody well does he’s been working here for 4 1/2 years.

 It could only happen at Bristol City.

 

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to express my thanks to Geoff.. his questions were very probing, very clever and it got Ashton's back up and I for one was getting mad listening to him lying through his teeth; that is how he came across I hasten to add. I have hardly ever criticised MA before but he got both barrels from me after that performance. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, markcarter said:

When Ashton said several times that Holden was clearly the best candidate, he didn’t ask him how someone who has managed 5 dead matches is a better candidate than one who has achieved 3 promotions.

he did in a way as he said something like (just paraphrasing here) deans experience only have manage for 5 games in the championship..

Mark Ashton is so slippery when asked who decision to get rid of Macca, straight away he threw Dean under the bus saying it was his decision what a coward..

Fair play to Geoff he really tried to get the answers and had Ashton Squirming, and you could tell he knew Aston was lying and talking Bollocks..

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Warwickshire Red said:

bad link. Check BBC Sounds page/app.

 

Yep, to all those saying iplayer, get on the BBC Sounds App. It's far superior to iplayer and user friendly (And will in future replace it as far as radio is concerned, as far as I'm aware)

 

I also thought GT was excellent tonight.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So from the bits I heard and translating the MA spin...

Fam and Elliason “ongoing” meaning if their agents get them clubs they’ll be off. But like COD really except nobody wanted to touch him in the end.

DH has the same remit as LJ, except he really doesn’t. Top half finish will do I reckon. 

DH was the right candidate. I never heard him say best at any point, which leads me to think he was selected because there’s too much unknown with COVID and therefore cash, so they brought the guy in who knows the structure best. The fact that he’s on a 12 month rolling gives the board a “free shot” in their eyes. If it doesn’t work out he’s cheap to dismiss and hey maybe the cash will be back to normal by then.

Seemed steadfast in not apologising for the communication issues. He could have even said re: Korey, “look, it doesn’t look great, it could have been better and we will look at it as a wider issue” but just stayed in a stubborn tone about how the club couldn’t have done much else.

Said transfers were approved and controlled by LJ and now DH, the tone suggested though (as it has previously) that it’s more to do with “the recruitment team” and they have to select from the pool they’re given.

Overall a lot of bs from Ashton. Still holding the carrot over the fans that we are ambitious whilst not getting into the fact that on paper this hasn’t looked it in the slightest. I could have forgiven some of it if there was even a shred of humility in there but clearly there wasn’t. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Isn't that a commonly used delaying tactic in negotiations? I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before.

Yes, it’s page 1 of the rule book (I Train Executives in negotiation skills and Media skills, Ashton ran through pages 1 to 7 of the handbook tonight 😀

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Redland said:

So according to Ashton we had a comprehensive five week process where  out of nearly 100 applicants the top 10 were interviewed. It was then narrowed down to 4 applicants  (presumably including Hughton and Cook) for a second interview. Ashton and JL then decided that the best applicant was ............ Dean Holden. Despite  having been part of the previous failed regime, despite no managerial experience and with next to nothing on his CV. 

‘But “he knows the players”. Of course he bloody well does he’s been working here for 4 1/2 years.

 It could only happen at Bristol City.

 

We are very close now to reaching full tinpot Rovers mode. 

Well not that close, level 1 full tinpot Rovers mode is getting relegated to the Conference by a team wearing your own kit who have nothing to play for after being in the relegation zone for about half an hour all season. 

But this is officially level 2 full tinpot rovers mode. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

Geoff did really well. Ashton started the response to pretty much all the questions with one word.....listen. It was like he felt the question being asked was out of order and that he shouldn’t have to answer it but felt he should to shut him up.

‘ listen ‘ is like ‘ I am glad you asked me that question ‘ it is padding which buys time to find the adequate reply. 
 

I personally hate it when people reply to a question with ‘ listen ‘. I am going to frigging ‘ listen ‘ because I’ve just asked a question and want to hear the response. 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

He did - but it was a Twentyman masterclass in asking every awkward question and getting the best he could out of Ashton.

Worth a listen. Will be on the iplayer later.

Reckon Twentyman has watched a bit of Clarkson, Morgan, Marr and Paxman during lockdown. Like a terrier tonight. Thoroughly enjoyed his persistence. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'd love to go back and listen to this, but i just know I would lose it when the slime ball opens his gob.

Listen, listen, listen  ...  We've listened, pal

**** off!

My Mrs told me off for calling him all the names under the sun whilst I was in the garden. I think the neighbours know how I feel though. 🤣🤣🤣

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, RAD_Red said:

“I spoke to Lee numerous times every day”.

Why? This just shows how MA has far too much control at City and likely had a significant say in the new coach.

Why would the CEO need to speak to the manager multiple times daily, surely LJ would have been focused on picking the team, coaching etc - things which MA should have no input in?

This. What a post. 

 

Fwiw, when GT said to MA about who has the final decisions on incoming players, slimeball started getting his knickers in a right twist; "you've asked me this before Geoff and I'll say it again... the Head Coach". 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Juan Domingo Roldan said:

What do you think Ashton's role is then?

Do BCFC have a bespoke Director of Transfers or is it simply unusual at City that the CEO does not get involved in transfers & by that, I mean the important bit - sign off?

From what I understand, usually the CEO sorts out the budgets, contracts, transfer and contract negotiations. 

They will have to be okay with a signing because of the budget of course. But I don't think they usually actually choose who the club sign.

A Director of Football or the manager would usually do that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I would like to express my thanks to Geoff.. his questions were very probing, very clever and it got Ashton's back up and I for one was getting mad listening to him lying through his teeth; that is how he came across I hasten to add. I have hardly ever criticised MA before but he got both barrels from me after that performance. 

He sounds like Dominic Cummings🤣

  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, markcarter said:

When Ashton said several times that Holden was clearly the best candidate, he didn’t ask him how someone who has managed 5 dead matches is a better candidate than one who has achieved 3 promotions.

He said ‘right’ candidate. Don’t remember him ever saying ‘best’ candidate. I thought that was quite revealing. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It seems people on here always have to have a scapegoat to blame when they're unhappy. It was LJ (both as a manager and a player), previously Liam Fontaine when he was playing and various other people before that. The latest is Mark Ashton who I'm sure is only following orders from SL but people have taken a dislike to him. It's a pity we can't be a bit more united as a club and be a bit more objective in our opinions

You don't believe a CEO should be held accountable then? Nice work if you can get it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Yep, to all those saying iplayer, get on the BBC Sounds App. It's far superior to iplayer and user friendly (And will in future replace it as far as radio is concerned, as far as I'm aware)

 

I also thought GT was excellent tonight.  

Don’t know if I’m being stupid but don’t know what I’m searching for. Searched Twentyman and only his mid-morning show came up?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...