IGNORED

Holdens First Interview

Unan

2 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Wish the guy all the best, you can't blame him for backing himself to try and be successful. COYR

I agree & along with many others I thought that a totally new coach was the answer but I never doubted Dean as a being good person who obviously is well liked by the players, especially the younger players. One of the main arguments has been lack of experience but he does has experience at various clubs & learnt from notable coaches, for what it's worth after listening to Dean speak I have a much better feel about this appointment than when LJ was announced. If we get behind Dean & give him his chance & I hope & think we could be pleasantly surprised.

COYR's

2 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

He comes across as a strong character - a Richie Wellens type - you wouldn’t want to piss him off in the dressing room. 
I wish him the very best of luck - go for it Deano. 

He’s had terrible tragedy in his family life with the death of his young daughter, so I imagine he can handle most things.

Just watching the long YouTube interview.  Almost brutal in the way he stated it was his decision re Jamie McAllister.  Calm and measured but with a hard streak I reckon.

Think Dean is the sort of appointment that you will warm to quickly if results and performances are there. His interview was a breath of fresh air, no predictable cliches and ‘if you like’ gags. I genuinely hope he does well!

As for the board, burning bridges come to mind. I won’t be taking anything they say seriously in future after this shambles of a ‘process’.

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

Comes across as a straightforward bloke, I hope you does well BUT I doubt he will take us forward.

Its like a broken record, but we all knew we needed someone who had been there and done it, now we have a rookie learning his trade - very disappointing.

Totally understand where you're coming from but you can't be "someone who had been there and done it" without being given the chance.

1 hour ago, Cov 77 said:

In twelve months Holden will still have twelve months left on his ‘rolling’ contract 

Not sure that is exactly how a rolling contract works. A rolling contract normally means that either party can put an end to the contract at any point (serving the notice period that is in the contract of course). 

So is the the notice period is 12 months? 

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

I actually couldn't watch that - very awkward, so I didn't.

Suffice to say that I've seen other interviews with Holden and I've been impressed with his honesty and its obvious he is bursting to succeed.

Less I see of Ashton the better tbh, can't take to the bloke (mind yer back Deano).

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Here's the full press conference - it goes a bit odd after about 16 or 17 minutes when Mark Ashton keeps going on about Dean Holden being chosen because he is a 'human'. Not once but about five times. This guy is now in stratospheric levels of bullshit. Also lies about Downing's Championship promotion experience (again).

Not hard to detect 2 very blatant lies. 

17:45 & 18:05. 

He so nearly slipped and said the ‘club’ brought in the assistants before he quickly corrected himself and then overstated that it was Dean’s decision. Those ones certainly send the polygraph in motion. 

Jon really struggling to explain the recruitment process later on too at 23:05. He’s not quite as slick at disguising the truth as Mark. 

I really, really hope he does well, as he does seem like a top bloke, I think he's been dropped well and truly up shits creek without a paddle by the board, but hope he can pull something out. 

Hope he gets the financial backing he will need as well. 

Bizarre interview. I’ve never seen a press conference where people take turns to leave early. At one point, Ashton signals to Lansdown to answer a question, Lansdown smiles awkwardly and Ashton answers.

Interesting bit was where Holden insinuating McAllister was a mate to Johnson who said yes to everything.

10 minutes ago, redrob said:

Not sure that is exactly how a rolling contract works. A rolling contract normally means that either party can put an end to the contract at any point (serving the notice period that is in the contract of course). 

So is the the notice period is 12 months? 

Or you reach a mutually agreeable termination settlement to avoid the full notice Period needing to be served. 

3 minutes ago, Henry said:

Bizarre interview. I’ve never seen a press conference where people take turns to leave early. At one point, Ashton signals to Lansdown to answer a question, Lansdown smiles awkwardly and Ashton answers.

Interesting bit was where Holden insinuating McAllister was a mate to Johnson who said yes to everything.

Just watched that bit. Not confident in public speaking is he.

Re McAllister, yes, certainly sensed it was always 2 votes to 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just watched that bit. Not confident in public speaking is he.

Re McAllister, yes, certainly sensed it was always 2 votes to 1

He’s awful, worse than his dad who gets by as he has a bit of passion to his voice.

I remember a game last season where Johnson and Holden has a row on the touch line, always wondered about the dynamic since then. 

I think generally Holden has come across well tonight. If he loses the first 3 games, the pressure starts to mount on the board.

Holden spoke well I thought.

One of my big criticisms of Lee Johnson was that as a player, I could never see anyone really wanting to run through a brick wall for him. I could never see him really motivating players. 

I think Holden is a very different type of character, he’s definitely more likeable but with a hard side to him, and can see the players really wanting to work for him.

As for the two clowns either side of him, what a complete load of shite they came up with. So much BS. 

Being an arch-critic, having watched that media conference I’m slightly heartened. Only slightly mind.

Don't get the criticism of Jon personally, not a great orator but having done media myself unless you’re a champion bullshitter it can be an uncomfortable experience. Ashton always seems to come across well mind (to the uninitiated).

Think we’ll live to regret the decision, but no option to give in a try. Onwards and downwards.

54 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not hard to detect 2 very blatant lies. 

17:45 & 18:05. 

He so nearly slipped and said the ‘club’ brought in the assistants before he quickly corrected himself and then overstated that it was Dean’s decision. Those ones certainly send the polygraph in motion. 

Jon really struggling to explain the recruitment process later on too at 23:05. He’s not quite as slick at disguising the truth as Mark. 

Didn't we suddenly start making signings almost as soon as Cotterill was sacked and before Johnson came in?

Says it all. They are bullshitters of the highest order. 

17 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Being an arch-critic, having watched that media conference I’m slightly heartened. Only slightly mind.

Don't get the criticism of Jon personally, not a great orator but having done media myself unless you’re a champion bullshitter it can be an uncomfortable experience. Ashton always seems to come across well mind (to the uninitiated).

Think we’ll live to regret the decision, but no option to give in a try. Onwards and downwards.

I read a lot of the comments before viewing the footage. The torrent of abuse led me to expect much worse than I saw. Frankly I think they genuinely believe they’ve made the best choice (bearing in mind that finances no doubt are a big part of the equation). These are difficult times so a cheap inexperienced option may be the best on balance. People seem to like DH, so I don’t understand why it is such a problem for the board to.

Like most people, I was attracted by the idea of a big name experienced manager like Hughton, but there’s no guarantee that would have worked. Perhaps DH has genuinely convinced them he will be the real deal. Let’s hope he is.

41 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I read a lot of the comments before viewing the footage. The torrent of abuse led me to expect much worse than I saw. Frankly I think they genuinely believe they’ve made the best choice (bearing in mind that finances no doubt are a big part of the equation). These are difficult times so a cheap inexperienced option may be the best on balance. People seem to like DH, so I don’t understand why it is such a problem for the board to.

Like most people, I was attracted by the idea of a big name experienced manager like Hughton, but there’s no guarantee that would have worked. Perhaps DH has genuinely convinced them he will be the real deal. Let’s hope he is.

The 90 second twitter interview with JL isn’t great, the 27 minute YouTube with MA and DH was fine, but JL was waffling a fair bit.  MA wasn’t too “spinny” tonight, I think he was pretty well prepared, and on Twentyman he was a bit uncomfortable but he was getting tough questions.

Like you, I do genuinely feel they think they’ve made the right appointment.

I think we will see some media stories about the likes of Hughton and Cook’s view if the process over the next few days, and that might give context that they aren’t the right fit....not necessarily because they aren’t good, but want more control than the club are willing to offer.  That begs the question about what happened throughout the several interviews they had that made both parties think another discussion was worthwhile.

352...bring it on!

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Here's the full press conference - it goes a bit odd after about 16 or 17 minutes when Mark Ashton keeps going on about Dean Holden being chosen because he is a 'human'. Not once but about five times. This guy is now in stratospheric levels of bullshit. Also lies about Downing's Championship promotion experience (again).

A few points I take from that:

1. Dean Holden says absolutely word for word what he said in the one on one interview. That says to me that it is 'scripted'.

2. At the point when Dean Holden states that it was his decision to bring in the two assistants, the camera cuts to Ashton scratching his nose. Any body language expert will tell you that this is the most obvious sign of a liar.

3. When Dean Holden talks about the assistants, he says numerous times, "when I met them both". This implies that he met them both at once, despite him alluding to knowing them before (which to be fair he probably did). But if he did, why state it that way, in a way that suggests that he had just been introduced. Which would not tie in with them being his choices at all.

Point 3 may be conjecture on my part. Points 1 and 2 in my opinion are more than that.

Also, was this press conference edited? And if not, why did we not hear from the two new appointments? Is it because they have only just arrived and have not had the chance to be fully briefed in what to say?

18 minutes ago, Superjack said:

A few points I take from that:

1. Dean Holden says absolutely word for word what he said in the one on one interview. That says to me that it is 'scripted'.

2. At the point when Dean Holden states that it was his decision to bring in the two assistants, the camera cuts to Ashton scratching his nose. Any body language expert will tell you that this is the most obvious sign of a liar.

3. When Dean Holden talks about the assistants, he says numerous times, "when I met them both". This implies that he met them both at once, despite him alluding to knowing them before (which to be fair he probably did). But if he did, why state it that way, in a way that suggests that he had just been introduced. Which would not tie in with them being his choices at all.

Point 3 may be conjecture on my part. Points 1 and 2 in my opinion are more than that.

Also, was this press conference edited? And if not, why did we not hear from the two new appointments? Is it because they have only just arrived and have not had the chance to be fully briefed in what to say?

Downing was interviewed by BBCRB live from the ground (Ed Hadwin I think).

If you listen to LJ’s pre and post match interviews with RB and the club and sky if on tv, he’ll use the same quotes, analogies across each interview.  Think it’s just they’ve said it once, sounded ok, use it on the next interview.  I’m sure he prepared some stuff based on likely questions.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He’s had terrible tragedy in his family life with the death of his young daughter, so I imagine he can handle most things.

Just watching the long YouTube interview.  Almost brutal in the way he stated it was his decision re Jamie McAllister.  Calm and measured but with a hard streak I reckon.

Agree, I liked that little hint of ruthlessness.

This line also impressed me when talking about JM and assistants - “I’m not just going to bring a mate in who’s going to agree with everything I say” 

I’m still hugely disappointed like a lot of fans and not convinced It’s going to be successful, but Dean seems a genuinely good guy and I don’t blame him for grabbing the opportunity with both hands. Wish him the best of luck. 

4 hours ago, Red Skin said:

I quite like managerhead. ?

This is way off topic but - I do hope we don't have any supporters from any of the indigenous people's Nations of the Americas whom may take offense at your username.  I am not offended on their behalf but sympathetic to their opinions on this - I'm just saying like.

?

Decent interview to be fair. Came across well. 

Interesting he seemed to be inspired by Dean Smith which is definitely a good thing. 

Pleased that he wants to play attacking football and getting the ball back as quickly as possible. That's definitely the style I would want us to play. Hope he sticks with this unlike LJ. 

Wonder if there was a little did at LJ in there when he said he's seen some things he doesn't like but I may be wrong. 

7 hours ago, Superjack said:

Oi!!

I'm from Clifton. ??

I have nothing against Clifton. I was from there  but have lived in Ashton Bedminster and now Southville over thre last 25 years...

Just imagining the outrage from some on here if he said it!!!

11 hours ago, Harry said:

In fairness to him, more so on the Twentyman interview, he fully acknowledges that he’s not the popular choice, and he understands that. 
I like that. It’s hard to move on without understanding and acknowledging a problem, and he’s done that straight off the bat. 

Not everyone’s choice, but time to move on now. It’s done. 
I support City through whatever, and I want Dean to succeed. So I’m 100% behind him. 

Like Davefevs has mentioned a few times, I did see some things that I liked in those last 5 games. Particularly formation, possession and effort (a difficult thing to get in those dead-rubber games). 

Come on Deano, do your best and prove all the doubters wrong (of which I was one, but I’m fully behind you now). 

I thought he started really well following GT speaking to Matt Withers(?) who was quite vocal in his opposition to the appointment - he said straight away he loved his passion - and that that kind of passion for the club will be what can help us succeed. 

Like most people - and as you quite correctly say above - I support Bristol City FC. Managers, players, CEOs & even owners change, but it's our club and that will never change. He'll get my full support. 

COYR :city:

Archived