IGNORED

Sorry folks but this managerial appointment shows where Lansdown’s priorities are.

AshtonOldBoy

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

We both had a really interesting and enjoyable chat  a few weeks ago Shaun, about all things Bristol City and Swindon.  I was discussing how much we’ve got going for us as a club, but how we always manage to bollox it up when it really counts.  

This head coach fiasco is a prime, gold plated example, complete with bells and whistles, of how completely we can **** it up when we’re really on our game.

This is how we roll down here in Bristol City land!!!

Yes I remember the conversation well BrizzleRed and I'm quite surprised by your latest appointment after all the excitement of possibilities!  As I recently said you're a big club with a big fanbase with a lovely stadium but the chairman dosen't have the ambition to match the football side. You're miles infront of STFC but in reality in the 130 ish years weve both been going you really have under achieved compared to a club of our size and within a year we could end up trading positions with you or end up in the same league. That's how quick football can change and proves you can't take anything for granted as an owner or supporter.

16 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Yes I remember the conversation well BrizzleRed and I'm quite surprised by your latest appointment after all the excitement of possibilities!  As I recently said you're a big club with a big fanbase with a lovely stadium but the chairman dosen't have the ambition to match the football side. You're miles infront of STFC but in reality in the 130 ish years weve both been going you really have under achieved compared to a club of our size and within a year we could end up trading positions with you or end up in the same league. That's how quick football can change and proves you can't take anything for granted as an owner or supporter.

I think our issue is that our owner is well aware of financial regulations and will always stay within them.  That’s not a criticism in itself, but, I think he’s naturally cautious and has an absolutely terrible record in choosing managers, but appears to think he knows best.

He’s proved on numerous occasions that while he’ll spend big money on players, he seemingly just doesn’t appreciate the value of investing in the best manager/head coach that he can get.

I think he’s messed up big time on this one and although our CEO is taking a lot of the flack (and does seem a slimeball btw), he was sure to have been following orders, so this one is on Lansdown.  

The whole way this has been handled has done some massive damage to the relationship with the fans too, but the ball is in Mr Slimey’s court for that one.

Definitely not a great time to be a City fan.

PS.  I reckon you’ve got a good one in Richie Wellens, so fancy doing a swop?  We’ve got a great one we can trade, who’s just beaten Chris Hughton and Paul Cook over two interviews!!!

2 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I think our issue is that our owner is well aware of financial regulations and will always stay within them.  That’s not a criticism in itself, but, I think he’s naturally cautious and has an absolutely terrible record in choosing managers, but appears to think he knows best.

He’s proved on numerous occasions that while he’ll spend big money on players, he seemingly just doesn’t appreciate the value of investing in the best manager/head coach that he can get.

I think he’s messed up big time on this one and although our CEO is taking a lot of the flack (and does seem a slimeball btw), he was sure to have been following orders, so this one is on Lansdown.  

The whole way this has been handled has done some massive damage to the relationship with the fans too, but the ball is in Mr Slimey’s court for that one.

Definitely not a great time to be a City fan.

PS.  I reckon you’ve got a good one in Richie Wellens, so fancy doing a swop?  We’ve got a great one we can trade, who’s just beaten Chris Hughton and Paul Cook over two interviews!!!

Looking in from the outside it does seem an underwhelming appointment and as your fellow posters have quoted Bristol Sport/Rugby seems to be his priority and he would rather play safe with a cheaper option at the helm and maybe someone who won't contest things behind the scenes very much unlike a Warnock who would vent his anger after every defeat.

when you watch and listen to Wellens he's a driven manager, not scared to speak his mind or ruffle a few feathers  and has lots of contacts in the game and seems to have a great relationship with Power and Paul Jewell. Up until now every time he's asked for a player the chairman has coughed up and Jewell has done the deal 

3 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Looking in from the outside it does seem an underwhelming appointment and as your fellow posters have quoted Bristol Sport/Rugby seems to be his priority and he would rather play safe with a cheaper option at the helm and maybe someone who won't contest things behind the scenes very much unlike a Warnock who would vent his anger after every defeat.

when you watch and listen to Wellens he's a driven manager, not scared to speak his mind or ruffle a few feathers  and has lots of contacts in the game and seems to have a great relationship with Power and Paul Jewell. Up until now every time he's asked for a player the chairman has coughed up and Jewell has done the deal 

Richie Wellens definitely seems to fit the mould of a very promising up and coming manager and he could well take you places if you can hang onto him.

RW wouldn’t work here by the sound of it, as SL doesn’t seem to get on with managers who speak their mind.  This is probably a large part of why it eventually went tits up with Steve Cotterill (who apparently hadn’t been SL’s choice in the first place).

2 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Richie Wellens definitely seems to fit the mould of a very promising up and coming manager and he could well take you places if you can hang onto him.

RW wouldn’t work here by the sound of it, as SL doesn’t seem to get on with managers who speak their mind.  This is probably a large part of why it eventually went tits up with Steve Cotterill (who apparently hadn’t been SL’s choice in the first place).

Good points you make but if Mr Lansdown wants Premiership football he may need to change his ways as all successful managers need to put their stamp in the club an thats at all levels.

what I like about Wellens is he will speak his mind and change things accordingly 

14 hours ago, bris red said:

But do we need a ‘CEO’ going forward? If Ashton does indeed get the boot if Holden fails (which will be highly likely Imo) then perhaps we may restructure the board.. maybe SL will have to admit defeat and finally employ a proper old school manager with a track record at this level.

We don’t need a CEO with so much power. What we need in the situation of having a Head Coach is a Director of Football, someone who commands respect, usually based on their seniority and what they have already achieved in the game, usually both as a player and a coach/manager. What has Ashton achieved in football? What is his background that makes him so good for his position?

Of course LJ had GJ as his senior advisor, while Holden has brought in 2 older coaches, presumably to provide a similar perspective.

6 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Good points you make but if Mr Lansdown wants Premiership football he may need to change his ways as all successful managers need to put their stamp in the club an thats at all levels.

what I like about Wellens is he will speak his mind and change things accordingly 

Any Prem ambitions have at the very least been put on hold now, if not scrapped.  

He may be happy to settle with Bristol  Rugby being at the top table, as that costs far less to maintain.

6 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Any Prem ambitions have at the very least been put on hold now, if not scrapped.  

He may be happy to settle with Bristol  Rugby being at the top table, as that costs far less to maintain.

The problem with that is if you linger in or hover just above the relegation zone next season (when fans are allowed in) crowds will quickly drop 

5 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

The problem with that is if you linger in or hover just above the relegation zone next season (when fans are allowed in) crowds will quickly drop 

Enthusiasm is already rock bottom and no chance of going to a game any time soon, so crowds will plummet even when we are allowed back in the ground unless we are playing fantastic winning football. Could be described as fickle but in reality a lot are just disillusioned right now.

21 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

If "this board" keep us in the Championship, and avoid incurring 12 point penalty deductions, during this "unprecedented" period of unprecedented unprecedentedness, then I think we should be content.

I think it might be the best they can manage.

If we get a 12 pointer then I'd imagine virtually every other ****** would as well.

17 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Enthusiasm is already rock bottom and no chance of going to a game any time soon, so crowds will plummet even when we are allowed back in the ground unless we are playing fantastic winning football. Could be described as fickle but in reality a lot are just disillusioned right now.

We've been there many times so know the feeling but keep the faith!

40 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

If we get a 12 pointer then I'd imagine virtually every other ****** would as well.

Agreed. We might not like everything SL has done for the club BUT you can guarantee that as a financial advisor his reputation can’t afford for us to breach the FFP rules. 

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

Nice to see a Swindon Twon select including trialist beat a Bristol Rovers development side 3-1 this evening?

Start as you mean to go on?

22 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

I think on hold more than scrapped might be a fairer way of putting it- maybe the plan is safe pair of hands- ie Holden, develop some youth, sell some players, extend some players- midtable or thereabouts, hopefully with a reasonable style of play.

Think it could be a transitional season- plenty of clubs have it at some point.

Bear in mind that by my count- happy to be corrected if necessary- we only have 14 players who are meant to be in contract come summer 2021. This provided my plan or blueprint goes as hoped, gives a new man, a higher profile candidate- come summer 2021 a relatively blank canvas and clean slate to work with- a steady foundation to build on though such necessary churn means we may not hit the ground running in 2021-22.

The key to this would be a) Retaining Championship status, hopefully quite comfortably and as stated with good play and  b) Keeping the ship steady this season in all other respects.

Who knows Holden might yet be an inspired appointment and surprise us all! Failing that though, I hope the club have a Plan B in mind, playing the long game a little.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think on hold more than scrapped might be a fairer way of putting it- maybe the plan is safe pair of hands- ie Holden, develop some youth, sell some players, extend some players- midtable or thereabouts, hopefully with a reasonable style of play.

Think it could be a transitional season- plenty of clubs have it at some point.

Bear in mind that by my count- happy to be corrected if necessary- we only have 14 players who are meant to be in contract come summer 2021. This provided my plan or blueprint goes as hoped, gives a new man, a higher profile candidate- come summer 2021 a relatively blank canvas and clean slate to work with- a steady foundation to build on though such necessary churn means we may not hit the ground running in 2021-22.

The key to this would be a) Retaining Championship status, hopefully quite comfortably and as stated with good play and  b) Keeping the ship steady this season in all other respects.

Who knows Holden might yet be an inspired appointment and surprise us all! Failing that though, I hope the club have a Plan B in mind, playing the long game a little.

I suppose it really depends if this is just a temporary move, or a complete sea change.

It looked like LJ was getting increasingly like his his father and avoiding using young home-grown players unless he had no other options.  We now have loads who have been on loan in the lower leagues, but little of no Championship experience.  

If they are going to just use this season to restart the flow of these players coming through and give more of them the Championship experience they need, then I can see the sense in that.  This would be the best way for the club to get the maximum value from their assets, which they won’t get if these players only have League 2, or 1 experience.  

They clearly need to get a few more Bryan’s, Reids and Kelly’s getting established at Championship level and in increasing numbers too.  Hopefully that’ll be the likes of Walsh, Morrell and Moore and Vyner also looks very promising.

I just have concerns that this may not be a temporary means to an end and could actually be a marked change of direction.  Bringing in those England coaches make me wonder if we now have a plan to become a player factory, but the priority will always be to sell on, are now going into a business of producing talent, for sell on, rather than hanging on to any of that talent long enough to improve our own fortunes on the pitch.

SL has told us before that we shouldn’t get attached to players and we’ve certainly seen that everyone has their price.  Seeing us selling on potentially selling on an increasing number of our players each season, doesn’t really give me much optimism that we’ll be mounting a genuine promotion push in the near future.

That will be the next test of SL’s ambitions. Will he just keep selling, of at some point, start building a team for the Premier League, or does he even want it?

I suspect he may be happier with young players on a lower wage to keep our costs down and the thought of having to pay Premier League wages if we got promoted, may be too much for him to bear.

It would be interesting to come back to this subject in a couple of years and see where we actually are.

Archived