IGNORED

Sorry folks but this managerial appointment shows where Lansdown’s priorities are.

AshtonOldBoy

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Holden got the job because he knows and understands the restrictions placed by SLs ‘sustainability’ criteria whereas outside candidates did not and, who knows maybe even questioned it.........:dunno:

It ain’t really that complicated as to why Deano was appointed.

But that doesn’t fall in line with what Steve said after LJ was sacked. That’s the issue

• Admin
1 hour ago, Tre Bong said:

So has Jamie McAllister left or not as his picture is still on the official site?

Yes

Confirmed by Mark Ashton in his radio Bristol interview 

Just about example of our social media team being totally inept again 

1 hour ago, xerox6060 said:

Is it a fair comparison though as Bristol Rugby in the rugby world is bigger than Bristol City in the football world

So hence SL will want to aim higher in Rugby at present with higher level appointments / players  etc 

So the question “how does the Bristol Sport vanity/legacy project benefit Bristol City FC?” is a valid one. I’m not interested in Lansdown “aiming higher” with the Rugby Club. If that is the case can I have a rebate on my season ticket cost relative to the rugby to reflect the aims of the clubs?

I noticed on the Ashton Gate Twitter the other day that Ashton Gate is home of Bristol Bears.........oh and Bristol City also play there too.

1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

This board is no longer fit for purpose. We don't deserve the lies and false hope

If "this board" keep us in the Championship, and avoid incurring 12 point penalty deductions, during this "unprecedented" period of unprecedented unprecedentedness, then I think we should be content.

I think it might be the best they can manage.

1 hour ago, gavlin said:

Being both a Bristol City and Bristol Rugby supporter for 40 years tonight shows where Lansdown priorities are and that is developing Bristol Rugby in a top class rugby team domestically and in Europe. It’s a cheaper option. Look at the appointment manager wise when Lam was appointed, a manager already successful in Ireland and Europe to the appointment of Holden for City. Top stars in the Fijian, Sinclair and Pitiau  being signed on top salaries . Has he used the same criteria for BCFC no it would cost to much money. Instead he hopes for a cheaper option to gradually bring success. You can’t blame Lansdown for keeping a stranglehold on finance but is disappointing when he and Mark Ashton bring out the bullshit of premier football etc. 

The main reason behind all of this is money, Lam (according to ruck.co.uk, not the greatest source but it’s all I have) is on nearly 800k a year. The average championship manager is on just over 800k (according to Reuters), there is no similarity. For years Bristol have had major potential to get back in to Europe (days you should remember well being a supporter for 40 years), and that potential is now starting to show. That potential also requires little financial input in comparison to City, Bristols squad of 40 odd is on under £7 million quid a year, that makes an average weekly salary of around £3.5k. You’d struggle to get top half in league one with players on that money, never mind the championship. 

Sinckler (not Sinclair...) Radradra (who I’m amazed you don’t know the name of, co side ring you’ve been a supporter for ‘40 years’ and he’s probably the biggest signing in bristols history) and Piutau cost £43k per week for the three of them, you’d wouldn’t get 3 top class championship players for that, so again no point comparing. 

I totally understand the frustration at the appointment and the lack of ambition, but comparisons to the rugby are pointless. The difference financially is so massive it makes little sense to compare 

2 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Happy to be corrected, but I though SL basically spends as much as budget restrictions allow in both sports - we go up to the edge on FFP in football and are massively underwritten by SL. The same for the rugby club - it's just the money goes further in that sport. 

Please don't come on here spouting this kind of logical nonsense...be outraged like everyone else!!

4 hours ago, AshtonOldBoy said:

Well well well after nearly 6weeks now messrs Ashton and Lansdown have confirmed what we have all suspected for quite a while now they cud not run an egg and spoon race!!!

As a pair you have failed miserably to deliver the missing piece of the jigsaw that has been clearly evident to take us over the line!!!!

The appointment of the assistant manager of the manager who between them cud not motivate the players and played a brand of football that was robotic and quite frankly un watchable has completely deflated everyone that comes through the turnstiles and pays your wages.!!!

worse than this it has probably demotivated the players more so because I’m sure they have been crying out for a mr motivator!!!!

Shame on the pair of you this is the most embarrassing position the club has put itself in in my lifetime and you won’t be seeing the colour of my money for a very very long time.

In my opinion you have completely bottled this situation and have hid behind the covid pandemic knowing that you don’t have to face the wrath of the loyal supporters the whole shooting match has been a charade and it appears the pantomime season has come early!!!!!!!!

Definitely definitely needed a new thread. 

I myself am totally disappointed with the decision.

Its a gamble that if backfires could set the club back years.

I have never known so much anger from my City mates, with many saying no more season cards for them.

Mr Holden needs results from the get go, and all the luck he can get.  

2 hours ago, gavlin said:

Being both a Bristol City and Bristol Rugby supporter for 40 years tonight shows where Lansdown priorities are and that is developing Bristol Rugby in a top class rugby team domestically and in Europe. It’s a cheaper option. Look at the appointment manager wise when Lam was appointed, a manager already successful in Ireland and Europe to the appointment of Holden for City. Top stars in the Fijian, Sinclair and Pitiau  being signed on top salaries . Has he used the same criteria for BCFC no it would cost to much money. Instead he hopes for a cheaper option to gradually bring success. You can’t blame Lansdown for keeping a stranglehold on finance but is disappointing when he and Mark Ashton bring out the bullshit of premier football etc. 

Rugby is much cheaper as you rightly point out, it also has different financial regulations. So it's not as comparable as it might seem.

4 hours ago, QuedgeRed said:

Well I’m sorry, but I happen to think that to be deceived by the owner and board is something worth screaming about!

Deceived about what?

what did he tell you that we don’t know. 

Point is now. We have got what we have. If you dont like it dont buy it. I know I probably won’t until he’s got a few wins under his belt. 

LJ was the one that deceived you, pretending he knew what the duck he was doing. The board backed their own bad decision. With the exception of Cotterill they have made bad decisions, this is just another one. With their track record of crap decisions we can hardly accuse them of deception. SHIT JUDGEMENT  WAS EXPECTED. 

I believe SL was sincere in his claims on Talksport a month or so back. Im sure he has learnt a thing or two from Bears and wants similar for City. He isn't running day to day City though which is why there is a CEO, COO, etc. I'm sure he's fully aware of how he looks now which brings me to Ashton on Twentyman this evening.

Ashton was very clear in that he never implied SL wanted this appointment, and instead repeatedly referred to keeping in contact with SL to notify him of their choices (did they talk SL into it?). Does this mean Ashton and the board have effectively aligned themselves with the success (Or failure) of Holden during his upcoming tenure as head coach/manager? Given the previous public statements should this appointment not turn out favourably (I hope it is an inspired success) combined with current fan mood can we expect Ashton to depart alongside Holden? I believe that's a real possibility given what's transpired and SL wanting premier league football to compliment the Bears/Bristol Sport objectives. 

Who would be everyone's choice of the next City CEO though? The Bears CEO, Tainton, is a Bristol Rugby playing legend, an internationally recognised kicking coach (likes of Sexton and Contepomi were tutored by him), loves the sport and the club, is Bristolian and wants to do what's best for the fans and long term success at the top of the sport plus seems to have good ideas on how to go about it. I'm sure more long standing reds than I have some ideas of who the next CEO for City could be. 

Maybe I'm just talking poop as it's 3.30am and I'm over tired, anxious and can't sleep.

1 hour ago, Rinkadink said:

I believe SL was sincere in his claims on Talksport a month or so back. Im sure he has learnt a thing or two from Bears and wants similar for City. He isn't running day to day City though which is why there is a CEO, COO, etc. I'm sure he's fully aware of how he looks now which brings me to Ashton on Twentyman this evening.

Ashton was very clear in that he never implied SL wanted this appointment, and instead repeatedly referred to keeping in contact with SL to notify him of their choices (did they talk SL into it?). Does this mean Ashton and the board have effectively aligned themselves with the success (Or failure) of Holden during his upcoming tenure as head coach/manager? Given the previous public statements should this appointment not turn out favourably (I hope it is an inspired success) combined with current fan mood can we expect Ashton to depart alongside Holden? I believe that's a real possibility given what's transpired and SL wanting premier league football to compliment the Bears/Bristol Sport objectives. 

Who would be everyone's choice of the next City CEO though? The Bears CEO, Tainton, is a Bristol Rugby playing legend, an internationally recognised kicking coach (likes of Sexton and Contepomi were tutored by him), loves the sport and the club, is Bristolian and wants to do what's best for the fans and long term success at the top of the sport plus seems to have good ideas on how to go about it. I'm sure more long standing reds than I have some ideas of who the next CEO for City could be. 

Maybe I'm just talking poop as it's 3.30am and I'm over tired, anxious and can't sleep.

But do we need a ‘CEO’ going forward? If Ashton does indeed get the boot if Holden fails (which will be highly likely Imo) then perhaps we may restructure the board.. maybe SL will have to admit defeat and finally employ a proper old school manager with a track record at this level.

5 minutes ago, bris red said:

But do we need a ‘CEO’ going forward? If Ashton does indeed get the boot if Holden fails (which will be highly likely Imo) then perhaps we may restructure the board.. maybe SL will have to admit defeat and finally employ a proper old school manager with a track record at this level.

There is a notable problem with employing an old school manager- a few actually.

• Giving them control over transfers and it going wrong/them getting poached- this leaves the new manager with a squad he cannot overhaul with ease.
  • It's bloody expensive to see overhauls- leaves unwieldy squads which clash in styles- see our period when we had a lot of managers between GJ and Cotts. Less so in League One maybe but it can quite easily become a shambles.
  • FFP. This precludes the overhauls to some degree that might be required.

These problems/limitations all existed pre early 2020 for a few years, and have or will have been only exacerbated by the pandemic. Think there is a reason why clubs increasingly- at higher levels interestingly- appoint 'Head coaches' or similar.

Perhaps it is something  to consider, no one size fits all- but another way of looking at it is that for better or worse, old school managers who want to manage in an old school way may find work drying up at this level- and presumably the PL too. Not entirely but markedly.

5 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Deceived about what?

what did he tell you that we don’t know. 

Point is now. We have got what we have. If you dont like it dont buy it. I know I probably won’t until he’s got a few wins under his belt. 

LJ was the one that deceived you, pretending he knew what the duck he was doing. The board backed their own bad decision. With the exception of Cotterill they have made bad decisions, this is just another one. With their track record of crap decisions we can hardly accuse them of deception. SHIT JUDGEMENT  WAS EXPECTED. 

What did you think he meant by ‘taking the next step’?

Because I, and the majority of the fan base took that to be Premiership football.

14 hours ago, AshtonOldBoy said:

Well well well after nearly 6weeks now messrs Ashton and Lansdown have confirmed what we have all suspected for quite a while now they cud not run an egg and spoon race!!!

As a pair you have failed miserably to deliver the missing piece of the jigsaw that has been clearly evident to take us over the line!!!!

The appointment of the assistant manager of the manager who between them cud not motivate the players and played a brand of football that was robotic and quite frankly un watchable has completely deflated everyone that comes through the turnstiles and pays your wages.!!!

worse than this it has probably demotivated the players more so because I’m sure they have been crying out for a mr motivator!!!!

Shame on the pair of you this is the most embarrassing position the club has put itself in in my lifetime and you won’t be seeing the colour of my money for a very very long time.

In my opinion you have completely bottled this situation and have hid behind the covid pandemic knowing that you don’t have to face the wrath of the loyal supporters the whole shooting match has been a charade and it appears the pantomime season has come early!!!!!!!!

This isn't even original and OTIB is descending into an echo chamber.

1 minute ago, Der no.2 said:

Why does it have to be original?

Sometimes points have to be repeated to be hammered home.

If someone finds they have to keep repeating themselves, that's a bit like the definition of an idiot: repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.

18 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

Because I, and the majority of the fan base took that to be Premiership football.

Yes, and?

1) The club ran a selection process.  They chose what they thought was the best candidate.  They may have gone into thenpricess with a particular kind of appointment in mind, but are they not allowed to CHANGE THEIR MIND?  That doesn’t make them liars.

2) Did anyone think that Eddie Howe would get Bournemouth into the Prem? Or Chris Wilder Sheffield United?  Maybe Dean Holden is going to surprise us all.

Or did you think the club could guarantee Premier League football just be the appointment of a manager?

12 hours ago, GTFABM said:

The club were never going to say “we interviewed Hughton but he is out of our price range, so was gerrard. Cook wanted more control than we were happy with so we went with Holden”. That is probably what happened but they are never going to come out and say that. To expect them to is crazy

Crazy, because?

56 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yes, and?

1) The club ran a selection process.  They chose what they thought was the best candidate.  They may have gone into thenpricess with a particular kind of appointment in mind, but are they not allowed to CHANGE THEIR MIND?  That doesn’t make them liars.

2) Did anyone think that Eddie Howe would get Bournemouth into the Prem? Or Chris Wilder Sheffield United?  Maybe Dean Holden is going to surprise us all.

Or did you think the club could guarantee Premier League football just be the appointment of a manager?

Ok and, do you think DH will take us to the premiership? The assistant to the failure that was LJ?

Nothing is guaranteed, but you can maximise your chances, and this is where we have fallen woefully short!

16 hours ago, AshtonOldBoy said:

I don't believe we're paying Steve Lansdown's wages, more like he's paying us

7 hours ago, QuedgeRed said:

Yep we believe what we want and hear what we want to hear don’t we! God knows what he meant. Either way I’m not buying what they are selling on a sound bite nor should you. Holden gets six wins out of his first twelve games then I will take notice. 

18 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I feel for you guys as it seems you were strung along for five weeks and let down at the end. We may not have a chairman with your wealth or integrity but at least he's positive in his appointments 

We both had a really interesting and enjoyable chat  a few weeks ago Shaun, about all things Bristol City and Swindon.  I was discussing how much we’ve got going for us as a club, but how we always manage to bollox it up when it really counts.  

This head coach fiasco is a prime, gold plated example, complete with bells and whistles, of how completely we can **** it up when we’re really on our game.

This is how we roll down here in Bristol City land!!!

Archived