IGNORED

Jon Lansdown interview

ChippenhamRed

1 minute ago, Galway Red said:

I agree completely, he is the only real City fan out of all of them, he obviously doesn't feel comfortable and is well out of his comfort zone for whatever reason doing the media stuff, in regards to his Daddy giving him the job isn't that what most fathers would do? 

I'd imagine Steve is very proud of Jon - like the way you're so proud of your offspring having their first shit in a potty 

20 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Will probably get some flak for this but I actually feel for the guy a bit. It can't be easy living in your father's shadow which he will do for his entire life.

Being given the club - and he must know he's not there on merit or achievement must be difficult. If, as others are suggesting, Steve is still pulling rank then that's undermining Jon and any chance he'd have of trying to do what he wants. He also as his supposed closest ally has a smarmy and not terribly inspiring Ashton.

Who knows what he really wants to do? He's a proper fan by all accounts. If he wanted a Hughton and Steve says no (and I can't imagine Ashton backing Jon up, more interested in keeping his own stock as high as possible I suspect) what's Jon meant to do?

Bloke is a bit stuck until Steve properly takes his hands off the reins I think. Then we'll see how much was Steve, and whether Jon could actually do a decent job without him. I'd hazard a guess he might be a bit more aligned with us fans aspiration wise if he really wants to step out of his dad's shadow but who knows, I don't know any of them!

He could have resigned or at least threatened to. That would tell the whole football world (or at least those who give a shit about BCFC) what was going on.

No sympathy for him whatsoever. I have a very good mate whos judgement I trust who knows both Lansdown's well and his verdict on junior is scathing.

**** the lot of them.

18 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Will probably get some flak for this but I actually feel for the guy a bit. It can't be easy living in your father's shadow which he will do for his entire life.

Being given the club - and he must know he's not there on merit or achievement must be difficult. If, as others are suggesting, Steve is still pulling rank then that's undermining Jon and any chance he'd have of trying to do what he wants. He also as his supposed closest ally has a smarmy and not terribly inspiring Ashton.

Who knows what he really wants to do? He's a proper fan by all accounts. If he wanted a Hughton and Steve says no (and I can't imagine Ashton backing Jon up, more interested in keeping his own stock as high as possible I suspect) what's Jon meant to do?

Bloke is a bit stuck until Steve properly takes his hands off the reins I think. Then we'll see how much was Steve, and whether Jon could actually do a decent job without him. I'd hazard a guess he might be a bit more aligned with us fans aspiration wise if he really wants to step out of his dad's shadow but who knows, I don't know any of them!

It seems very natural for a loving father to set up his son to run one of his major investments. Jon has a very steep learning curve and will learn from those around him (good and bad) as well as from his father and through sheer experience.  Many on here are happy to condemn him for any number of reasons, from family wealth through to his lack of experience, but he has the blessing of a (hopefully) very long training period and will very likely end up as a still very young chairman of a Premier League club.  My profound wish would be for people on here to really support Jon, the board, the head coach, team and everyone else in Bristol City. The negativity on this forum is shocking and I am glad that I do not go to football games with some of the main culprits. Of course, many of them stopped going to games years ago and just hang around like a bad smell.

10 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

He could have resigned or at least threatened to. That would tell the whole football world (or at least those who give a shit about BCFC) what was going on.

No sympathy for him whatsoever. I have a very good mate whos judgement I trust who knows both Lansdown's well and his verdict on junior is scathing.

**** the lot of them.

So he resigns and then what?

The only way he can enact change one day (assuming he wants to which I have no idea) is to still be there. You have to pick your battles in that situation and can't just pack it in as soon as you lose one.

You make your feelings known privately but present a united front publicly or its chaos. If people in power just resigned as soon as something happened they didn't agree with nothing would ever get done, that's ridiculous.

10 hours ago, redordead1 said:

I’ve got mates that worked with him at HL who felt sorry having to work around him as he just wasn’t cut out for that life. He is borderline special needs and it’s wrong for his father to place him in the media spotlight he has. 

He isn't "borderline special needs", that comment is totally out of order and offensive on many levels.

I worked at HL for 8 years, my desk was literally a couple of feet away from SL's desk for many of those years, having daily conversations with him and JL, so I know first hand what they are like.

JL is many things that we (and he) all know, and I'm as angry as anybody else is right now, but personal insults like that are out of order.

13 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

It seems very natural for a loving father to set up his son to run one of his major investments. Jon has a very steep learning curve and will learn from those around him (good and bad) as well as from his father and through sheer experience.  Many on here are happy to condemn him for any number of reasons, from family wealth through to his lack of experience, but he has the blessing of a (hopefully) very long training period and will very likely end up as a still very young chairman of a Premier League club.  My profound wish would be for people on here to really support Jon, the board, the head coach, team and everyone else in Bristol City. The negativity on this forum is shocking and I am glad that I do not go to football games with some of the main culprits. Of course, many of them stopped going to games years ago and just hang around like a bad smell.

I will support them when it's appropriate and will always support the team, but I also think it's important for us fans to hold them to account.

I don't feel like I know enough about Jon or his decisions to have formed a strong outlook on him yet - but anyone involved with the club in in for a torrid few months I feel!

If he really wanted to follow in his father's footsteps, he should be well up the corporate ladder at Hargreaves Lansdown by now.

Given the choice, I'm sure we would all want to be involved with the football club rather than a career in financial services.

I just don't think SL or MA are particularly good mentors. JL is in a privileged position but he has a choice, he doesn't have to be front and centre, at least not yet perhaps.

Step aside, stay involved, learn more and then take up the reigns when good and ready. If another club interviewed for the chairman position today would he get it? I don't think so.

It reeks of nepotism and he comes across to me as nothing more than a puppet.

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I will support them when it's appropriate and will always support the team, but I also think it's important for us fans to hold them to account.

I don't feel like I know enough about Jon or his decisions to have formed a strong outlook on him yet - but anyone involved with the club in in for a torrid few months I feel!

You may well be right about the torrid time. The covid issue may well be around for a while with the possibility of the odd sting in the tail.  He will be learning all the time and maybe has 40 years or so in his position to go. He may not be the finished article for a while yet, but will do better with encouragement and support rather than continual sniping, insults and condemnation that seems to be the whole reason that some people come on this forum.  I guess some of these people are the ones who sometimes boo their own players - as if that would improve the confidence and performance of, what may be, very young men. 

5 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

So he resigns and then what?

The only way he can enact change one day (assuming he wants to which I have no idea) is to still be there. You have to pick your battles in that situation and can't just pack it in as soon as you lose one.

You make your feelings known privately but present a united front publicly or its chaos. If people in power just resigned as soon as something happened they didn't agree with nothing would ever get done, that's ridiculous.

He tries to make his own way in the world or his daddy finds him another position somewhere.

Lansdown senior has Ashton running the club so what happens next is jackshit different to what has been happening for a long long time.

Junior is an irrelevance and does not (from the outside looking in) appear to be a person in power whatsoever, so I cannot imagine him ever picking any battle against his father or Ashton for that matter. at any time.

You appear to be comparing him to people who get to senior positions on merit, and have something about them, I find that ridisculous to be honest.

31 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

I can definitely see son selling the whole sheebang if he ever gets control.

Not sure he loves the limelight like poppa does.

Dunno about that. He's the fan, not Stephen.

The difference approach taken to the Bristol Bears to us shows that rugby really is daddy Lansdown's first love.

What we need is either Jon off the board or at a minimum the board expanded so there are some experienced heads on it - a trusted ex-player for example - and others who've worked in the game.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Agreed, the buck stops firmly with Steve Lansdown at the end of the day, nobody else. He could have easily turned round and sound "Thanks Mark/Jon for your hard work and input but Dean Holden's appointment will cause World War 3 and not only that I want Chris Hughton anyway because I feel we are in a position to have a right go this season"...................but he didn't, rubber stamped what has happened.

Anybody who truly believes Mark Ashton is wholly responsible for the current situation is naive at best. He may be the biggest bullshitter we have ever had working for the club but in charge he really ain't. This is Steve Lansdown's club, his final decision and he should be the one facing the music if this turns into a giant **** up, in the same way that should the appointment turn out to be inspired everyone will forget they blamed Mark Ashton for making it and tell us all how brilliant Steve Lansdown is for seeing what we all couldn't. Lansdown really has got many people on strings when you think about it............although I feel that number is reducing rapidly.

I’ve heard that JL carries more influence than we think.  I was surprised when I heard that and then I heard / read LJ’s speech when he left.  We always here Lansdown family, Maggie and Steve, we rarely hear Jon’s name mentioned do we!

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Dunno about that. He's the fan, not Stephen.

The difference approach taken to the Bristol Bears to us shows that rugby really is daddy Lansdown's first love.

What we need is either Jon off the board or at a minimum the board expanded so there are some experienced heads on it - a trusted ex-player for example - and others who've worked in the game.

I think off the board RR. I'm not sure he has a thick skin or love the spotlight like his old man so criticism would therefore cut deeper.

If as owner he came in for daily media criticism, and crowd protests, I could well see him selling up to teach the ungrateful proles a lesson.

Just now, Natchfever said:

I think off the board RR. I'm not sure he has a thick skin or love the spotlight like his old man so criticism would therefore cut deeper.

If as owner he came in for daily media criticism, and crowd protests, I could well see him selling up to teach the ungrateful proles a lesson.

As has been said earlier, who knows what sort of decisions he and a competent board might make when freed from the dead hand of the 96% owner. We all know whose writ runs large there.

That vid clearly shows an unhappy man having to defend a decision that was foist upon him.

2 hours ago, Bullbag said:

And there are still people that have faith in all three charlatans in charge.

It beggers belief.

Can't stand any of them, all are slime balls.

My love affair with this club has slowly died, it's had its hard ripped out and I don't think it's repairable.

It's repairable for me.

It doesn't matter too much to me who runs the club, and the shenanigans behind the scenes, though strangely fascinating at times like this, don't define my support for the club.

I don't agree DH is the 'right man', (or 'right human' I should say) in fact I disagree strongly, but if his team is at least attempting to play entertaining football and AG is more often than not an enjoyable place to go, then in the final analysis I know full well that despite my disappointment at times like these I'l be back to support them.

Probably the same if things go tits up, but that's because I'm a fan of this club and withdrawing support would be cutting off my nose to spite my face. Supporting BCFC has always been my choice and the benefits of being a committed supporter to me have always outweighed the negatives at times like this. 

On reflection being a bit part player in the continuing saga of BCFC isn't something I'm willing to deprive myself of just because I don't agree with a managerial appointment (you wouldn't have seen me for dust when LJ was appointed if that was the case) or I'm not particularly taken with a transient individuals behind the scenes.

That SL may know and depend on this inexplicable attachment of thousands, and at times seems to take our loyalty and continued support for granted, is annoying, but not enough for me to turn my back - I was there at the bottom of div.4, and SL himself may prove transient compared to many of us.

I support Bristol City not 'because my Dad said so' but because I have happily (mostly) been absorbed in the whole BCFC package for decades. I'm a Bristol City fan to the extent it's part of what I am and I'm far too old to change now. Huge emotional highs (e.g. Cotts' magic season) and similar lows (right now) are to be expected.

I've had my say on Holden but the morning after I accept the deed is done, so just as when LJ was appointed, that's that, we gnash our teeth for a while, then wish Dean all the best, and get on with supporting a club which is a big part of our lives.

:chant6ez:Come on City. Stuff 'em. All of 'em.  Always.:chant6ez:

3 hours ago, kmpowell said:

He isn't "borderline special needs", that comment is totally out of order and offensive on many levels.

I worked at HL for 8 years, my desk was literally a couple of feet away from SL's desk for many of those years, having daily conversations with him and JL, so I know first hand what they are like.

JL is many things that we (and he) all know, and I'm as angry as anybody else is right now, but personal insults like that are out of order.

I agree Mr Hargreaves.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I support Bristol City not 'because my Dad said so' but because I have happily (mostly) been absorbed in the whole BCFC package for decades.

Really? I'd have been disinherited if I hadn't. If I'd have asked for a Gas shirt for Christmas I think he'd have put me in an orphanage!  :laughcont:

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Respectfully disagree - it's just relatively much easier and cheaper to buy success in Rugby. 3 seasons ago we were playing at the Mennaye and on Jersey. Recently we've bought arguably two of the games finest exponents and head into the restart on saturday in 3rd place in the league. 

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Really? I'd have been disinherited if I hadn't. If I'd have asked for a Gas shirt for Christmas I think he'd have put me in an orphanage!  :laughcont:

Yep, no influence from my Rugby loving Dad - I found AG for myself with a few young school friends in 1970.

The discovery of an exciting new world; I left in awe of the whole experience and couldn't wait to get back.

Been going ever since. :city:

Just now, CyderInACan said:

Respectfully disagree - it's just relatively much easier and cheaper to buy success in Rugby. 3 seasons ago we were playing at the Mennaye and on Jersey. Recently we've bought arguably two of the games finest exponents and head into the restart on saturday in 3rd place in the league. 

This is true, but a lesson should surely have been learned that if you want to cement your place in the elite, you need a top coach and a decent budget.

You can tell that JL is very uncomfortable with public speaking/ interviews, never met the guy so don't know what he is like in person. I know I used to absolutely dread just going into a room of strangers let alone talking to them, public speaking is an art that not everyone can manage, a lack of self confidence can be crippling, it took me until I was in my 40s to put it behind me.

5 hours ago, Natchfever said:

**** the lot of them.

Always had significant doubts about his competence and judgement- Jon Lansdown that is. Can't put my finger on exactly what/why that is but there's something that doesn't convince- not just his public appearance either.

He just doesn't strike me as up to it.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

On the money observation.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Always had significant doubts about his competence and judgement- Jon Lansdown that is. Can't put my finger on exactly what/why that is but there's something that doesn't convince- not just his public appearance either.

He just doesn't strike me as up to it.

Agreed and I don't think its down to being a "callow youth" either, he's getting on a bit now I think.

Not easy living in such a shadow, but there has to be other avenues for him to pursue a career in.

By the way Mr P, does he draw a wage out of interest ?

18 hours ago, Robin101 said:

To be fair to him, the interviewer sounds like he couldn’t be more bored by the whole thing!

Agreed.

Jon is a remarkably boring person to listen to at the best of times, oh wait this is supposed to be the best of times with an exciting new manager no?

Anyway, thats OK we cannot all be entertaining but that Interviewer would send people far less interested than JL to sleep; I notice the interview lasted Just a minute and a half. ?

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve heard that JL carries more influence than we think.  I was surprised when I heard that and then I heard / read LJ’s speech when he left.  We always here Lansdown family, Maggie and Steve, we rarely hear Jon’s name mentioned do we!

No, you are right. How remarkably fortunate.

6 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Having reflected overnight : Out of all of them that spoke in the conference on the pitch it was Holden who sounded the most confident, and with no bullshit. Lets hope that simple approach hits home with the players etc.

Sounds like Pat Lam in the rugby compared to the suits. When the rebrand to the Bears was announced, at the fans forum it was Pat who spoke clearly and with passion about it. He was flanked by Mark Tainton (CEO) and Chris Booy (Chairman) who were unclear and confusing (embarrassing at times in the formers case)

if Dean can have anywhere near the same level of influence that Pat has, then were in for an entertaining season! 

COYR

Archived