IGNORED

Jon Lansdown interview

ChippenhamRed

Well said @Nogbad the Bad

Deed is done. We’ve all had our moan. Time to move on and at least give them a chance.

Despite questioning decisions by the board, as we’re entitled to do as fans and despite the massive frustrations from some of those decisions, not least this most recent one - I do still believe in the, generally, good intentions of the board.

10 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I do still believe in the, generally, good intentions of the board.

So good intentions but crap judgement, then?

It's not so much that I think that they want us to fail, more they aren't that fussed if we succeed. 

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

So good intentions but crap judgement, then?

It's not so much that I think that they want us to fail, more they aren't that fussed if we succeed. 

Crap judgement, at times, yes. 100%.

Of course they don’t want us to fail, what would be the point of that. And I disagree personally they’re not fussed if we succeed, just it’s becoming clear Lansdown doesn’t want it ‘at any cost’.

I think the thing they’re most guilty of is saying one thing and doing another. Over promising and under delivering, very frustrating and the fans would have more forgiveness if they just under promised for once.

18 hours ago, Baldyman said:

The more I consider it , the more I think this appointment is just about survival . Fans may not be allowed in for the whole season in reality and at the end of that , God knows how many EFL clubs will be gone forever . We’re not in the Prem So Gate money is critical . It’s also the first ever rolling contract I can recall at The Gate . This appointment is I think , temporary until we’re through the other side and will see who’s left . Sounds like Armageddon I know but who knows what the next 12 months hold ? 

I think you might be on to something.

City might just go into a holding pattern. We might be a bit chaotic and shit, have a rookie manager but we probably won't be as shit as a lot of other clubs in the championship. Many football clubs have been on a knife-edge financially for years. They simply don't have the capacity to survive. Looking at the longer term picture with these youth coaches coming in and we might be in a semi-decent place when we return to the days of being able to snog complete strangers in a pub without the chance of dying as a result. 

2 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

You can tell that JL is very uncomfortable with public speaking/ interviews, never met the guy so don't know what he is like in person. I know I used to absolutely dread just going into a room of strangers let alone talking to them, public speaking is an art that not everyone can manage, a lack of self confidence can be crippling, it took me until I was in my 40s to put it behind me.

Which begs the question why is he in the position he is in. As a chairman of a modern day football club you NEED to be confident addressing your fan base. He looks woefully out of his depth and there has been no improvement, his public speaking is just as bad and dour as it was when he first came on the scene.

Anyway Lets see how they start the season as i can guarantee the knifes are already being sharpened all around South Bristol for the board if we start badly, Dean needs to hit the ground running otherwise it’s going to be very very uncomfortable for daddys little boy and co.

Part of the problem may be SL’s stated wish to take more of a back seat in the running of the club. Hence Jon Lansdown taking the role of chairman. If Jon Lansdown is a really sharp individual with a good football and business mind this would be ok as Mark Ashton should report to him. If JL is not really up to the job then it’s a problem as MA is running the club. Maybe SL realises there is a problem, hence his urge to dabble from time to time. In any business it’s got to be perfectly clear who is in charge. SL seems to be but if this was any other business it should be the chairman (JL) who would be in charge,making big policy decisions, but leaving the day to day activities to MA. 

19 hours ago, Baldyman said:

The more I consider it , the more I think this appointment is just about survival . Fans may not be allowed in for the whole season in reality and at the end of that , God knows how many EFL clubs will be gone forever . We’re not in the Prem So Gate money is critical . It’s also the first ever rolling contract I can recall at The Gate . This appointment is I think , temporary until we’re through the other side and will see who’s left . Sounds like Armageddon I know but who knows what the next 12 months hold ? 

SoD was a 12 month rolling contract, and I think if we didn’t sack him when we did it would of rolled into the next 12 months. Could be wrong on the last bit. 

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Dunno about that. He's the fan, not Stephen.

The difference approach taken to the Bristol Bears to us shows that rugby really is daddy Lansdown's first love.

What we need is either Jon off the board or at a minimum the board expanded so there are some experienced heads on it - a trusted ex-player for example - and others who've worked in the game.

Trusted ex player? Keep that quiet otherwise LJ will get a job back with us. 

32 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Trusted ex player? Keep that quiet otherwise LJ will get a job back with us. 

TBH had I known they were going to appoint the assistant and cut the budget to levels even Wael could cope with, I'd have left Lee in the job.

19 hours ago, redordead1 said:

Wow!! That tells you all you need to know. As nice a guy as he may be, and this isn’t meant to be a hugely personal critique, JL is severely challenged in a professional sense. 

I’ve got mates that worked with him at HL who felt sorry having to work around him as he just wasn’t cut out for that life. He is borderline special needs and it’s wrong for his father to place him in the media spotlight he has. 

JL is clearly a City supporter and I don’t believe he has a bad bone in his body, as opposed to the cancerous snake that is Ashton. It’s clear from this interview that he doesn’t believe the corporate spin he’s been told to say and if nothing more, I hope it acts to extradite himself a little from this total shambles.

Whilat putting JL in front of interview candidates is clearly not a wise move and will have adversly affected the profile we project, this is his old man’s doing and we need to direct our attention his way. 

He has a BSc in Economics.

1 hour ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

SoD was a 12 month rolling contract, and I think if we didn’t sack him when we did it would of rolled into the next 12 months. Could be wrong on the last bit. 

That would be a 12 month contract.

A rolling contract means it is constantly renewing... month by month, so you always have 12 months of contract, untill one or the other decides to end the contract... then it starts to wind down, month by month till you are out of months.

Or if it's terminated by the employer they have 12 months compensation to pay.

Well, that's how I see it.

On 11/08/2020 at 14:39, CyderInACan said:

Respectfully disagree - it's just relatively much easier and cheaper to buy success in Rugby. 3 seasons ago we were playing at the Mennaye and on Jersey. Recently we've bought arguably two of the games finest exponents and head into the restart on saturday in 3rd place in the league. 

And now we’re 2nd. What a day. 

Archived