IGNORED

Jon Lansdown interview

ChippenhamRed

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Let's have the STEVE Lansdown interview, please. There is one, surely??

Did I miss it on Talksport?

Premier League a must, Lee failed to, the next step etc etc

Weird, but I'm starting to feel a bit for Mark Ashton tonight

At least the guy fronted up

Steve only appears when there’s good news or he can show off. 
This a job for the kid and the spin doctor. 
We’ll probably not hear from Steve for a year.  

6 hours ago, redordead1 said:

I’ve got mates that worked with him at HL who felt sorry having to work around him as he just wasn’t cut out for that life. He is borderline special needs and it’s wrong for his father to place him in the media spotlight 

Don’t think comments like that are necessary 

What do fans expect to hear from senior guys like JL or MA regarding the appointment of Deano? 

Niether are going say anything controversial or revealing and they both were predictable saying pretty much what’s expected. 

Now that it’s done and dusted we can only hope that they’ve made the right decision.

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Here’s a magnificent, Churchillian interview from Jon Lansdown, you’ll be blown away by the confidence shining out from every fibre of his being. An inspiration to us all on this proud day for our club I’m sure you’ll all agree. ?

Sounds like a child who didn't get his own way on a managerial appointment to me,

Could this be the split and lansdown jr wanting hughton only to be overruled by dad and ashton?

7 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Even the interviewer is talking like its a wake,, jl is completely uninspired. Like someone else said, if they come out and said we dont know what the financial implications of covid will continue to be, and dean is an excellent character to see us through that, then at least that would have been honest!

This. I wouldn’t have had a problem with that at all, maybe a shade dissapointed but would have understood until things looked brighter.

6 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Steve only appears when there’s good news or he can show off. 

This is wrong.

GT grilled SL the day of the Wolves game in 2016/17. This was three days after the 0:5 humbling at Preston. With six games to go, we were one point above the drop. We were properly in the **** at that point, and he "fronted up" with Geoff.

And ended up blurting out his version of "Oim con-sid-er-ably richer than YOW lot" by saying he puts in more money than us, so we can bugger off. 

SL not great when under the pump like that. But he did "front up" when we were in the doo-dah and at great risk of going down.

I honestly wonder why he even bothers to put himself up for this.

He is patently awful at speaking in public & looks like he is hating every single moment.

Proof positive that an expensive education cannot make you something that you are not, but what our media team think producing content like this actually achieves, I have no idea.

Rather than make fun of JL's demeanour with his obvious inexperience and unease, I prefer to think about how this reflects on the interview process (at the risk of banging a broken drum). We're told the interviews were by Mark Ashton and by Jon Lansdown, despite JL's clear unsuitability for the task.

Mark Ashton has claimed this was a vigorous (rigorous) process. If that was truly the case, and with JL offering fairly limited relevant experience or (from what we can see) confidence in the process, why the hell wasn't MA inviting trusted football experts from outside the club to support the interviews?

When I've appointed key people in senior roles I've sometimes had 2 or 3 other people interview candidates or as a minimum make up an interview panel, even from outside the business. Not always my choice, sometimes it's what sensible investors expect to ensure hiring process really is "rigorous".

I'm really not sure how Mark Ashton has the brass neck to claim the process was rigorous and yet do nothing to address the fact it was just him, plus an inexperienced, introverted chairman's son. It should've been entirely on HIM to ensure he got other opinions, and it speaks volumes that he did not.

It's basically just Mark Ashton plus a trainee interviewing. If I hired someone into a key senior role and it's more or less just me doing all the interviewing, I would be laughed out of any serious business. We pay lip service to "good business" but when it suits they throw it all out the window to get their way.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I honestly wonder why he even bothers to put himself up for this.

He is patently awful at speaking in public & looks like he is hating every single moment.

Proof positive that an expensive education cannot make you something that you are not, but what our media team think producing content like this actually achieves, I have no idea.

Steve must ready Jon for the day Steve is no longer with us, doesn't he? He has to push him out there, and let him learn by doing it and inevitably making mistakes. Bit of tough love.

One day, Steve will be gone, and it'll all be Jon's. It'll only be Jon. On his own.

Better he starts now, while his father is around to say: wtf you say that for, Jon? And other helpful fatherly bits of wisdom.

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

Rather than make fun of JL's demeanour with his obvious inexperience and unease, I prefer to think about how this reflects on the interview process (at the risk of banging a broken drum). We're told the interviews were by Mark Ashton and by Jon Lansdown, despite JL's clear unsuitability for the task.

Mark Ashton has claimed this was a vigorous (rigorous) process. If that was truly the case, and with JL offering fairly limited relevant experience or (from what we can see) confidence in the process, why the hell wasn't MA inviting trusted football experts from outside the club to support the interviews?

Because they'll recommend the "best" fellows for the job, and not the "right" ones.

When I've appointed key people in senior roles I've sometimes had 2 or 3 other people interview candidates or as a minimum make up an interview panel, even from outside the business. Not always my choice, sometimes it's what sensible investors expect to ensure hiring process really is "rigorous".

I'm really not sure how Mark Ashton has the brass neck to claim the process was rigorous and yet do nothing to address the fact it was just him, plus an inexperienced, introverted chairman's son. It should've been entirely on HIM to ensure he got other opinions, and it speaks volumes that he did not.

It's basically just Mark Ashton plus a trainee interviewing. If I hired someone into a key senior role and it's more or less just me doing all the interviewing, I would be laughed out of any serious business. We pay lip service to "good business" but when it suits they throw it all out the window to get their way.

5 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Steve must ready Jon for the day Steve is no longer with us, doesn't he? He has to push him out there, and let him learn by doing it and inevitably making mistakes. Bit of tough love.

One day, Steve will be gone, and it'll all be Jon's. It'll only be Jon. On his own.

Better he starts now, while his father is around to say: wtf you say that for, Jon? And other helpful fatherly bits of wisdom.

Maybe.

But if you have self awareness you would realise no matter how much of this you do, if you hate it & you are patently awful at it, you delegate it to someone else.

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Maybe.

But if you have self awareness you would realise no matter how much of this you do, if you hate it & you are patently awful at it, you delegate it to someone else.

This is true.

From what I understand; Keith Dawe was very nervous about speaking in public, and he was Chairman for a period of time. I don't think I ever heard him speak publicly.

21 minutes ago, Olé said:

One of the best posts I've read in quite a few weeks on here :city:

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Judging by his and Ashton's interviews, it would not surprise me if both wanted Hughton but SL pulled rank. 

Neither of their body language or words, suggest they are particularly enthused by having to defend the appointment of Holden.

Would also explain why Hughton thought he had the job if MA/JL were giving him promising feedback. 

That’s what I’m beginning to think.

Seeing these interviews, JL and MA both used the same prepared sound bites, neither spoke freely, enthusiastically or from the heart about the appointment.

If MA the salesman can’t sell it, well you have to doubt he believes in it. Clearly MA is the brunt of most fans anger, so if it wasn’t his call it will take all his willpower to want to stay at BCFC with the abuse being thrown at him.

I can’t help but feel SL has got this one badly wrong again and there will be long term ramifications.

8 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Dean has ‘a number of attributes’ and is doing well at being a human. Well, I’m convinced

I’m convinced the rest we interviewed were aliens.

Are you human? Yes. Right, when can you start?

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Judging by his and Ashton's interviews, it would not surprise me if both wanted Hughton but SL pulled rank. 

Neither of their body language or words, suggest they are particularly enthused by having to defend the appointment of Holden.

Would also explain why Hughton thought he had the job if MA/JL were giving him promising feedback. 

The body language is worth speculating wildly upon:

uCzMy8ta.jpeg.e00ae522e64af139c5c7d4e7edc9d4e3.jpeg

What we see, above, are two alpha males, and, er, Jon.

A rather "what am I doing here?" "I don't belong here" nervous Jon.

Note Deano and Mark: legs splayed, sweaty balls out, look at my packet! You don't want to sit opposite these two on the tube.

Meanwhile, poor Jon: hands clasped over the crown jewels, looking anxiously to his superiors to his left, hoping this will all be over soon.

Yes, Deano! Let's attack this season legs splayed, and balls out.

16 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Note Deano and Mark: legs splayed, sweaty balls out, look at my packet! You don't want to sit opposite these two on the tube.

Meanwhile, poor Jon: hands clasped over the crown jewels, looking anxiously to his superiors to his left, hoping this will all be over soon.

Jon has a closed body language pointing to being unhappy, negative where as holden and twatmctwatface have a very open body language showing signs of confidence,

I dont think jl agrees with the choice of head coach

34 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

That’s what I’m beginning to think.

Seeing these interviews, JL and MA both used the same prepared sound bites, neither spoke freely, enthusiastically or from the heart about the appointment.

If MA the salesman can’t sell it, well you have to doubt he believes in it. Clearly MA is the brunt of most fans anger, so if it wasn’t his call it will take all his willpower to want to stay at BCFC with the abuse being thrown at him.

I can’t help but feel SL has got this one badly wrong again and there will be long term ramifications.

Agreed, the buck stops firmly with Steve Lansdown at the end of the day, nobody else. He could have easily turned round and sound "Thanks Mark/Jon for your hard work and input but Dean Holden's appointment will cause World War 3 and not only that I want Chris Hughton anyway because I feel we are in a position to have a right go this season"...................but he didn't, rubber stamped what has happened.

Anybody who truly believes Mark Ashton is wholly responsible for the current situation is naive at best. He may be the biggest bullshitter we have ever had working for the club but in charge he really ain't. This is Steve Lansdown's club, his final decision and he should be the one facing the music if this turns into a giant **** up, in the same way that should the appointment turn out to be inspired everyone will forget they blamed Mark Ashton for making it and tell us all how brilliant Steve Lansdown is for seeing what we all couldn't. Lansdown really has got many people on strings when you think about it............although I feel that number is reducing rapidly.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

We should have got Alan Sugar and Karen Brady in and turned it into a five-week BBC documentary drama called The Manager

46 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Nail on head.

It's amazing how a picture can show more than it was intended to do.

Will probably get some flak for this but I actually feel for the guy a bit. It can't be easy living in your father's shadow which he will do for his entire life.

Being given the club - and he must know he's not there on merit or achievement must be difficult. If, as others are suggesting, Steve is still pulling rank then that's undermining Jon and any chance he'd have of trying to do what he wants. He also as his supposed closest ally has a smarmy and not terribly inspiring Ashton.

Who knows what he really wants to do? He's a proper fan by all accounts. If he wanted a Hughton and Steve says no (and I can't imagine Ashton backing Jon up, more interested in keeping his own stock as high as possible I suspect) what's Jon meant to do?

Bloke is a bit stuck until Steve properly takes his hands off the reins I think. Then we'll see how much was Steve, and whether Jon could actually do a decent job without him. I'd hazard a guess he might be a bit more aligned with us fans aspiration wise if he really wants to step out of his dad's shadow but who knows, I don't know any of them!

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I can definitely see son selling the whole sheebang if he ever gets control.

Not sure he loves the limelight like poppa does.

15 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Will probably get some flak for this but I actually feel for the guy a bit. It can't be easy living in your father's shadow which he will do for his entire life.

Being given the club - and he must know he's not there on merit or achievement must be difficult. If, as others are suggesting, Steve is still pulling rank then that's undermining Jon and any chance he'd have of trying to do what he wants. He also as his supposed closest ally has a smarmy and not terribly inspiring Ashton.

Who knows what he really wants to do? He's a proper fan by all accounts. If he wanted a Hughton and Steve says no (and I can't imagine Ashton backing Jon up, more interested in keeping his own stock as high as possible I suspect) what's Jon meant to do?

Bloke is a bit stuck until Steve properly takes his hands off the reins I think. Then we'll see how much was Steve, and whether Jon could actually do a decent job without him. I'd hazard a guess he might be a bit more aligned with us fans aspiration wise if he really wants to step out of his dad's shadow but who knows, I don't know any of them!

I agree completely, he is the only real City fan out of all of them, he obviously doesn't feel comfortable and is well out of his comfort zone for whatever reason doing the media stuff, in regards to his Daddy giving him the job isn't that what most fathers would do? 

Archived