From Back to Front

1. Keep Max in/around first team

2.  New RB

3. Coach TM i to ball playing CB, al la Webster

4.  Ball winning tackling MF

5. Keep Famara

6.  Have Patto, Palmer and Wells train together to get on the same wavelength

what would your priorities be?

Select a system to play , train the players to play in this system. Buy players to fit into the system you want to play 

Just now, Colombo Robin said:

Szmodics also deserves another chance

One of Palmer or Paterson has to leave then.

Not the lad’s fault at all but we have 3 players for the same position (thanks Mark Ashton) & that is definitely one too many.

My hunch is he will be the one to miss out, so will move on.

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not the lad’s fault at all but we have 3 players for the same position (thanks Mark Ashton) & that is definitely one too many.

Depends if we keep Fam I think. If we sell him could see two of them starting regularly. All could play number 10 or 8. 

24 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

What do you when that system stops working? Like with cotts in 2016. 

Or with Dean Holden following 45 minutes of decent performance against Boro, it predictably turned to shite when faced with an opposition of above league 1 standard. 

I think with Fam probably leaving I’d base the team around a 4231 formation with Palmer, Wells, Pato and Weimann your front four. That’s where I’d start structurally, them you have 2 from Morrell, Walsh, HNM and Nagy for midfield options, and a likely back 4 of Hunt Kalas Baker JD.

Bench containing 2 of the midfield above, Moore, Vyner, COD, and a new striker 

47 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

From Back to Front

2.  New RB

5. Keep Famara

That's pretty much what we said in last night's live Podcast which is available on www.foreverbristolcity.podebean.com

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Id rather see Palmer leave. Hasnt seemed up for the fight for a long time now, and now his bessie Benik has gone i just cant see him being motivated enough

Gonna need hungry battlers next season, and if Morrell, Walsh and Szmodics can play like they have been on loan we it will feel like 3 new signings

Sell paterson, o’dowda and watkins where poss or loan with a view to sell. Creates funds and clears space for players that need a chance like Palmer, szmodics, morrell and Walsh that would fit better in t system we want to play (3-5-2)

need a new rwb (still hopeful of pereira) but a loan for someone like neco Williams as been mentioned before could be an option to compete with hunt and/or vyner.

moore and vyner for me should play at the back with kalas or if we don’t move on Baker, then Baker and moore alongside kalas with vyner at rwb or on bench.

want to see massengo get a full season starting IMO as that’s the only way he’ll progress quickly but he needs to be given a decisive role and focus solely on doing that. Maybe an anchor player shielding defence and breaking up play.

if Fam get sold, I actually wonder if we couLd go with a 10 alongside wells in the form of Palmer or szmodics who each offer different styles. Szmodics is pacy, bit of a poacher and likes being in and around the box.

palmer slightly slower but more creative/stronger and his youth days show he has the ability in and around the box and we need him to get back to that.

pushing the 10 up top with wells frees up the midfield for two of Nagy, Walsh and morrell to work as progressive midfielders in front of massengo.

alao feel a good loan striker from the prem to compete with wells would be a good fit. Ball gun from arsenal, Bobby Duncan from fiorentina, Koffi from fiorentina etc

12 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

if Fam get sold, I actually wonder if we couLd go with a 10 alongside wells in the form of Palmer or szmodics who each offer different styles. Szmodics is pacy, bit of a poacher and likes being in and around the box.

This for me.

2 hours ago, BOSRed said:

Sell paterson

On many occasions, Jamie has been our only creative player on the pitch. When he came back from loan from Derby he has played well, generally. If Palmer had shown what we wanted, then id agree. However if you sell Pato and rely on KP and SS (who has done great in L1) then thats a risk for me. Keep Pato but ******* feed him up a bit

3 hours ago, Southport Red said:

From Back to Front

2.  New RB

5. Keep Famara

Wait and purchase city shirts, scarfs and beanies at the shop around March or April Next season  when they will be half price 

3 hours ago, Notbarrymanc said:

What do you when that system stops working? Like with cotts in 2016. 

There is no magic system, it’s about drilling it, improving it, forcing your system on the opposition.  Understanding the weaknesses of your system versus the strengths of theirs and trying to work patterns that expose your weaknesses.

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

On many occasions, Jamie has been our only creative player on the pitch. When he came back from loan from Derby he has played well, generally. If Palmer had shown what we wanted, then id agree. However if you sell Pato and rely on KP and SS (who has done great in L1) then thats a risk for me. Keep Pato but ******* feed him up a bit

Yes, Pato was our best player in second half of the season.  More consistent (I know bizarre thing to say about Pato) than Palmer.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

There is no magic system, it’s about drilling it, improving it, forcing your system on the opposition.  Understanding the weaknesses of your system versus the strengths of theirs and trying to work patterns that expose your weaknesses.

Point being, unless you have the best individuals you cannot be reliant on one system. There are very few teams that are able to dominate using one system - 433 aside as that’s the en vogue premiership model - without having obviously better individuals - Wilders shef Utd being the anomaly that springs to mind.

That over reliance on one system cost cotts his job. At the same time you can’t flip and change as much as LJ did. You need a balance. Like we saw with Swansea, who adapted to our 352 to nullify us and go on to win. 

4 hours ago, Spud55 said:

Or with Dean Holden following 45 minutes of decent performance against Boro, it predictably turned to shite when faced with an opposition of above league 1 standard. 

Tbh the idea wasn't bad but a CM 3 of Smith, Weimann and Paterson. Think Weimann needs to be further forward and you need another genuine CM in there.

Paterson might be able to play centrally in a 3,but the balance isn't quite right. Turns to shit a tad harsh too but definitely work to be done.

One of Diedhiou or Weimann alongside Wells dependent on the opposition. Definitely need another true CM in there though!

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tbh the idea wasn't bad but a CM 3 of Smith, Weimann and Paterson. Think Weimann needs to be further forward and you need another genuine CM in there.

Paterson might be able to play centrally in a 3,but the balance isn't quite right. Turns to shit a tad harsh too but definitely work to be done.

I love Pato but he's a run around all over the place, no fixed position type of midfielder.

What we need is a central distributor.

A Hartley, a Tinnion.

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I love Pato but he's a run around all over the place, no fixed position type of midfielder.

What we need is a central distributor.

A Hartley, a Tinnion.

Great as a 10 for sure, probably his best position. I think he's more suited to a central 3 than say Palmer or O'Dowda- or Weimann!

Solution could lie within. In the right shape of course. All of our CMs strike me as technically capable- by CMs I mean in no order but alphabetical, Massengo, Morrell, Nagy, Walsh.

Perm 3 from that, Morrell seems best defensively, Walsh based on some League One stats granted is capable of a tackle or two but we know his technical ability. Think Nagy better distribution wise than Massengo, though the latter has a higher ceiling. 

Play only two though and we'll have the same issues. Play three and we might not!

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Great as a 10 for sure, probably his best position. I think he's more suited to a central 3 than say Palmer or O'Dowda- or Weimann!

Solution could lie within. In the right shape of course. All of our CMs strike me as technically capable- by CMs I mean in no order but alphabetical, Massengo, Morrell, Nagy, Walsh.

Perm 3 from that, Morrell seems best defensively, Walsh based on some League One stats granted is capable of a tackle or two but we know his technical ability. Think Nagy better distribution wise than Massengo, though the latter has a higher ceiling. 

Play only two though and we'll have the same issues. Play three and we might not!

I think Walsh might be the nearest we have to the exulted former central men I quoted, but Johnson could never find a place for him in our formation.

Without Korey, we certainly need a defensive midfield "stopper" incoming. I honestly don't think we have that man here at present.

1 hour ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Point being, unless you have the best individuals you cannot be reliant on one system. There are very few teams that are able to dominate using one system - 433 aside as that’s the en vogue premiership model - without having obviously better individuals - Wilders shef Utd being the anomaly that springs to mind.

That over reliance on one system cost cotts his job. At the same time you can’t flip and change as much as LJ did. You need a balance. Like we saw with Swansea, who adapted to our 352 to nullify us and go on to win. 

Yes, I was probably being too simplistic.  Cotts problem was trying to play exactly the same way with that formation in the Champ.

A couple of subtle tweaks.

• wing backs not quite so high
  • Freeman in a 3 with Pack and Smith instead of as a 10

might've been all it needed.  My theory anyway!

Of course there are times when you have to tweak to a different set up, but as you say it should be the exception not a whim, like LJ.

Interesting Holden saying he thought the 352 worked well earlier in the season.  Doesn’t sound like it was his choice to change it!

Archived