IGNORED

Dean Holden’s tragic past

The Exiled Robin

6 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Tragic story - poor bloke

It is a tragic story and you have to feel for him. We don't really know him that well despite him being here a while but so far he has come across impressively. One thing it will do is give him the thick skin he currently needs in the early days of taking on his new job because whatever stick our less intelligent fans give him (the ones who cannot see where the real issues within the club lie) it will surely be water off a ducks back to him in comparison to the things that really matter in his life.

45 minutes ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Well worth a read for everyone on Dean Holden and his family’s tragic past.

Hope the Mods don’t just shove this in on the merged thread as it’ll get lost and deserves a wider audience than that

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/harsh-realities-for-footballer-dean-holden-1.439718

I’m not embarrassed to say, this but just had me in tears 

D329C9F3-90DF-4D77-A9FD-9D25396A3500.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t want to read this. I want to go through life thinking that nothing of the sort could happen to me. 

I wish him all the best. I hope he’s out most successful manager ever. 

Yes- understand that but still worth a read because its a great insight into the nature of our new Manager and the real person behind the "bed sheet" protests.

Not my first choice and genuinely thought he would never be considered but now he has the job, I'm rooting for him and, like you, hope he becomes a great success. Triumph over adversity is what we all need at the mo.

48 minutes ago, redbishop said:

Worth a read, especially when you think back to Afobe last winter.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/harsh-realities-for-footballer-dean-holden-1.439718?s=08 

Definitely. I remembered this and tweeted him then. Must have been incredibly hard for him to relive it all

2 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Just awful - any parents worst nightmare. Poor bloke.

Of course we hope he goes on to get success at City, but if things don't go well then I hope that the viler social media warriors remember that there's a human being in there.

Exactly why I found it 

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

Very sad story, I'm just not sure why it has been put back into the press today

Not sure Dean and his family need this on top of the other noises on social media

Pretty pertinent part of our new manager’s life I’d say? A few were asking on social media what the references in interviews were to what he’d been through.

And I thought it might help people realise there’s a real person at the centre of all the arguments and comments 

37 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not sure Dean and his family need this on top of the other noises on social media

To be fair, it was referenced yesterday in the press briefing as an example on what a ‘human’ Holden is.

I must admit, whilst it’s sadly tragic, I didn’t like it being bought up when asked ‘Why Holden?’

31 minutes ago, phantom said:

Agree. Don't think I'd want this being brought back up if I were him. He'll be looking to focus on the job in hand, and deal with the already tough questions facing me.

How does this tragic event relate to his choice as head coach as well? Is the suggestion that we give him a free pass if the footballs dire because his kid died a few years back? Or we give MA and SL an easier ride re the handling of the appointment because the guy they appointed lost a kid?

All feels a bit tabloid curtain-twitching really.

2 hours ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Well worth a read for everyone on Dean Holden and his family’s tragic past.

Hope the Mods don’t just shove this in on the merged thread as it’ll get lost and deserves a wider audience than that

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/harsh-realities-for-footballer-dean-holden-1.439718

Thanks for sharing this. This will not only be his past but his and his family’s present and future. You don’t get over it your life just builds around it.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Just read this earlier, it’s a must read for those of you who want to know his character. I can only imagine the additional effect Beniks loss had on him last year.

Probably he will have been affected but also glad that he could support someone else.

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

How does this tragic event relate to his choice as head coach as well? Is the suggestion that we give him a free pass if the footballs dire because his kid died a few years back? Or we give MA and SL an easier ride re the handling of the appointment because the guy they appointed lost a kid?

Not at all. It means that he will have high emotional intelligence and a sense of perspective though I would guess.

19 minutes ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Pretty pertinent part of our new manager’s life I’d say? A few were asking on social media what the references in interviews were to what he’d been through.

And I thought it might help people realise there’s a real person at the centre of all the arguments and comments 

In modern football I would not be at all surprised if this (having it in the media at this time, obviously not having his kid die...) is a cynical attempt to get the fans more on side. Or at least not so critical.

This should not change your reaction to his appointment one bit.

If people need someones kid to die for them to realise their humanity then there's something wrong with them.

But also, if you can't separate someones tragic past from your opinion on whether or not they make a good choice as a football manager, there's something wrong with you too.

16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Agree. Don't think I'd want this being brought back up if I were him. He'll be looking to focus on the job in hand, and deal with the already tough questions facing me.

He lives in every day.  He’s really open about it.  He says things like “my 5 kids”, he had 2 more afterwards.  It’s an incredibly brave attitude.

I think it was used by Dean himself to say “look, there are far worse things than not being first choice, I’m not bothered by it, I’m here to do a job”.

All that's done is re-affirm my thoughts that this bloke has walked into his interview and put up a hell of a case for himself.

Could be miles off but I think it might be why it's took so long. SL/MA did want a CH type but couldn't overlook such a strong interview.

Not only does he seem a genuine bloke, but I feel he knows how players and managers tick. I expect his man-management skills to be streets ahead of LJ, I dont see him as the sort to just shut someone out like we've heard rumours of.

I really want the guy to do well in the face of all this adversity and criticism now

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes he's open about it. It's a well known event in his life which he discusses with nobility. So I'm not sure I needs extra focus.

Maybe I'm being offended on his behalf and perhaps he would not appreciate that. I can be wrong.

Still not entirely comfortable with a life event like this being positioned by some (and I don't include Holden in that) as a shield against his critics.

20 minutes ago, Prinny said:

In modern football I would not be at all surprised if this (having it in the media at this time, obviously not having his kid die...) is a cynical attempt to get the fans more on side. Or at least not so critical.

Its a tragedy what happened to his daughter but without wanting to sound cynical i think you may not be far from the truth. 
I did find it odd the amount of times MA referred to him as a ‘’good human being’’ or words to that affect. I'm sure many of us on here are ‘’good human beings’’ but to keep on mentioning it seemed strange. Being a good human being alone won’t make you a successful football manager i know..

Just now, bris red said:

Its a tragedy what happened to his daughter but without wanting to sound cynical i think you may not be far from the truth. 
I did find it odd the amount of times MA referred to him as a ‘’good human being’’ or words to affect, I'm sure many of us on here are ‘’good human beings’’ doesn’t mean we right men to lead this football club.

The "great human being" "good human being" "high character guy" is used A TONNE in American sports when talking appointments and signings. Obviously how someone deals with adversity and crisis is important to their ability to handle that in their job and that's a part of why you hire or sign someone.

The reason for the cynicism in me is why is it coming up now when it happened a long time ago? Is it because there's more interest and journalist want "news" (clicks) or is it a deliberate "hey talk about this" from the spin doctors at the club?

I genuinely dunno the answer to that, but my cynicism and yours indicate what we think of the people at the club!

49 minutes ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Fair enough, but it wasn't the time to be bringing this up

Dean had spoken about this in the past and was spoken about in the local press, just feels in bad taste bringing it up now

If people wanted to find the story out, let them do it

39 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Complete agree with this, is in no way relevant to his appointment at the club and completely unnecessary to be highlighted now

Every single one of us is shaped by events in our lives; some good, some mundane, some bad, some tragic. 

Dean has a heartbreaking story to tell, there is no doubt about that. But I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want it to be in any way something that is discussed in relation to his suitability as our new Head Coach. 

Thanks for sharing, well worth a read, absolutely tragic about his daughter, as important in the context of his appointment,  is the football journey the article refers to, he did not have it easy as a player and had to graft for everything.

I think we have a quiet man of steel in charge now, there will not be any BS (sorry LJ!) and I think he could turn out to be a much better pick then any of the "names" I have heard mention.

Archived