IGNORED

You've Picked Your Best Candidate........

Numero Uno

...............now send him out shopping to buy a few tools that give him a fighting chance of succeeding in the job.

This bit for me is more important than the fiasco surrounding the appointment in the first place because if Holden is allowed to strengthen in the areas desperately needed not only does it give him the chance to prove the doubts surrounding him unfounded but, should the worst happen and results go belly up, anyone coming in after then has a fighting chance also.

If the Circus are still serious about challenging at the right end of the table, and that was the noise being made last night, then show your faith in Dean and BACK HIM UP.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

...............now send him out shopping to buy a few tools that give him a fighting chance of succeeding in the job.

This bit for me is more important than the fiasco surrounding the appointment in the first place because if Holden is allowed to strengthen in the areas desperately needed not only does it give him the chance to prove the doubts surrounding him unfounded but, should the worst happen and results go belly up, anyone coming in after then has a fighting chance also.

If the Circus are still serious about challenging at the right end of the table, and that was the noise being made last night, then show your faith in Dean and BACK HIM UP.

Agree, head coach (and assistants sorted) it’s now about the players.  It’s always about the players really.  Let’s see improved recruitment.  In the main, we’ve recruited good players.  I feel confident that with one system we can recruit more effectively.

Last season’s incoming players if anyone thinks LJ wasn’t backed!

2FA548A0-0844-4E4B-A0F0-F8EEAF32D459.thumb.jpeg.1d00186d5d0dee9ec784f91e871b4dfe.jpeg

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I dont think we will be spending much this summer. Batten down the hatches more like 

I would probably say we won’t be spending any more than we bring in.  We do have a buffer against FFP, so if Eliasson and / or Diedhiou go, expect Dean to use some / most of that.

3 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I dont think we will be spending much this summer. Batten down the hatches more like 

That's not the message from the top though. Albeit it took Geoff a while to get it out of him but Mark Ashton, for one, is not expecting a season of struggle. Surely they cannot carry on giving out mixed messages. If you want to finish high up the table then back Dean (we aren't talking billions of bounds), simple as that.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Dean said himself he'd be looking to add a couple

How can Dean do that. We currently have as follows below 

Grim Reaper - Steve Lansdown the dark hooded robed owner that collects the persons soul. 

Dictators - Jon Lansdown and Mark Ashton that as rulers they need to rise in power out of conflict and not take the masses point of view on board.

Bad Manager- sorry but DH can he Actually clearly define his responsibilities with a 2 win, 2 draw and 2 loss at the end of last season. We need to get behind him but out of the first six next season with a 2,2,2 again what a total embarrassment we will be. He has a lot of weight on his shoulders and I hope he’s got the balls to carry it through.

Lrrr “add a couple” ? Will DH have the authority to too do this without consulting with the Grim Reaper and the Dictators  is the question 

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, head coach (and assistants sorted) it’s now about the players.  It’s always about the players really.  Let’s see improved recruitment.  In the main, we’ve recruited good players.  I feel confident that with one system we can recruit more effectively.

Last season’s incoming players if anyone thinks LJ wasn’t backed!

2FA548A0-0844-4E4B-A0F0-F8EEAF32D459.thumb.jpeg.1d00186d5d0dee9ec784f91e871b4dfe.jpeg

This is my point really. They have seemingly backed the previous manager to the hilt then sacked him when it was clear he was unable to deliver the expectations and so to appoint an inexperienced manager in his place and then advise him that he has no money to spend on reinforcements, Covid or not, would be a ridiculous example of throwing the poor bloke straight in front of the runaway bus.............

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

Grim Reaper - Steve Lansdown the dark hooded robed owner that collects the persons soul. 

Dictators - Jon Lansdown and Mark Ashton that as rulers they need to rise in power out of conflict and not take the masses point of view on board.

Bad Manager- sorry but DH can he Actually clearly define his responsibilities with a 2 win, 2 draw and 2 loss at the end of last season. We need to get behind him but out of the first six next season with a 2,2,2 again what a total embarrassment we will be. He has a lot of weight on his shoulders and I hope he’s got the balls to carry it through.

Lrrr “add a couple” ? Will DH have the authority to too do this without consulting with the Grim Reaper and the Dictators  is the question 

One loss.

1 minute ago, City oz said:

Tbf I think most people are "over it" now in terms of Dean being the manager. That cannot be changed, the vast majority wish him all the best and he has to be supported whether he was our individual choice or not, end of story. The leadership from the CLUB is still in question...........let's see whether, having appointed the new manager who they tell us was the best candidate for the job, they are prepared to back him as you surely would having told anyone who would listen that you have appointed such an outstanding candidate.

My main shopping list should we only be able to bring in x 2 players.

1 x 6ft plus beast of a central midfielder (someone like when we had Cisse who can cope physically would be nice) to compliment Morrell and Walsh. Nagy & Massengo to rotate accordingly.

1 x new right back, preferably someone who is comfortable as a wing back but happy to play in a back 4 also.

If Fam leaves then he would need to be replaced. A season long move for Jordan Hugill would be decent, as he linked really well with Nahki at QPR. People like Ivan Toney are well out of our price range I imagine, unless we bag 10 million for Fam and Eliasson. Toney has been linked with Celtic and Brentford mind.

4 minutes ago, City oz said:

Just now, bcfc01 said:

One loss.

So 8 points from every 5 games gives us 73 (73.6) points....that’s a promotion challenge.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would probably say we won’t be spending any more than we bring in.  We do have a buffer against FFP, so if Eliasson and / or Diedhiou go, expect Dean to use some / most of that.

Thats what i meant really. No real net spend.

In any business at the moment, cash is king. Any reserves to be held in the bank becuase lets face it : The next 6 months ahead of us are still unknown. 

1 minute ago, Kingswoodactor said:

My main shopping list should we only be able to bring in x 2 players.

1 x 6ft plus beast of a central midfielder (someone like when we had Cisse who can cope physically would be nice) to compliment Morrell and Walsh. Nagy & Massengo to rotate accordingly.

1 x new right back, preferably someone who is comfortable as a wing back but happy to play in a back 4 also.

If Fam leaves then he would need to be replaced. A season long move for Jordan Hugill would be decent, as he linked really well with Nahki at QPR. People like Ivan Toney are well out of our price range I imagine, unless we bag 10 million for Fam and Eliasson. Toney has been linked with Celtic and Brentford mind.

Someone mentioned Hugill on Forever BC Pod last night.  Rumoured to be heading back to QPR for another year, but would be an astute signing on loan if we lost Fam.  Different player to Fam, but more mobile and physical.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

This is my point really. They have seemingly backed the previous manager to the hilt then sacked him when it was clear he was unable to deliver the expectations and so to appoint an inexperienced manager in his place and then advise him that he has no money to spend on reinforcements, Covid or not, would be a ridiculous example of throwing the poor bloke straight in front of the runaway bus.............

You did listen to the interviews right? While Dean has been told top 6 is the aim he won't be sacked just for not reaching the top 6, presumably because the club realises the current situation. He's been told he can bring in a few but more than likely won't have the same funding as last few seasons for obvious reasons, so I don't know where you're getting 'he has no money to spend on reinforcements' from?

Just now, Davefevs said:

So 8 points from every 5 games gives us 73 (73.6) points....that’s a promotion challenge.

Yep.

More than happy with that.

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

Six games not five . Brings the points down to another mid table position 

Nope.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Nah, it was 5 games (2,2,1)

Oh not so bad then . However were they teams that were of a high potential in the championship. There are also 3 other teams that got relegated last  season from the prem we have to contest with

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

You did listen to the interviews right? While Dean has been told top 6 is the aim he won't be sacked just for not reaching the top 6, presumably because the club realises the current situation. He's been told he can bring in a few but more than likely won't have the same funding as last few seasons for obvious reasons, so I don't know where you're getting 'he has no money to spend on reinforcements' from?

It is a scenario, I am not saying that he has been told that. That's why I said it WOULD be ridiculous not IS ridiculous. I am hoping that the Board put at least a little bit of money where their mouth is. However, listening to the circus at the top of the club does not give me any faith that anything they say right now will be translated into action. Events of recent weeks have caused me to arrive at that conclusion and whilst I have every trust in Dean to do his absolute best in the job of managing the TEAM I have no trust in the people running the CLUB currently. Sorry if that's not what you want to read but it is my opinion.

7 minutes ago, City oz said:

Oh not so bad then . However were they teams that were of a high potential in the championship. There are also 3 other teams that got relegated last  season from the prem we have to contest with

Every team is hard to beat, especially when you’re on a 9 game winless run.  Hull, Boro and Stoke fighting for their lives, Swansea and Preston fighting for playoffs.

36 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We  know they aren't serious about challenging.

"Dean has no specific targets" tells its own story.

1 minute ago, City oz said:

We played Hull, Middlesborough, Stoke, Swansea and Preston.

Swansea and Preston were decent top 10 sides, with the former sneaking into the playoffs. Hull and Middlesborough were poor sides, but Stoke were in good form at the end of the season - I'd argue that is relatively representitive for 5 champonship games. However I think 5 games is a little too few to make an accurate prediction on next season. Arguably it is more promising than the period from January to the COVID break, and the period just after the restart

Given the way the last few seasons have been, I think it is pretty clear we need to improve results (and performances) at home and in general do a bit better against the top 5-6.

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That's not the message from the top though. Albeit it took Geoff a while to get it out of him but Mark Ashton, for one, is not expecting a season of struggle. Surely they cannot carry on giving out mixed messages. If you want to finish high up the table then back Dean (we aren't talking billions of bounds), simple as that.

The interview is here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08n8p8r

The interview with MA starts just after 57 minutes.

People can make their own minds up whether he's a bull shitter or not. It's a typical suit conversation and is typical of a professional going about his job and no doubt people will tar him with their own brush based on their own prejudices/biases. Personally, I don't like these types as they tend to be rather slippery, but I have no reason to call him a liar - he is typical of his breed. For those who think that 20p put him under pressure, I think they are kidding themselves.

The following was discussed (17 minute chat):

• DL is expected to be challenging for promotion
  • Rolling one year contract
  • DL has the final say of signing players
  • No one in the recruitment department has left
  • Clarification given on CS - DH made the call
  • Talk about the coaches - DH choices
  • A little bit of clarification about DH selection
  • Cheap option question
  • The SL quotes from TS were brought up
  • Player contract renewal discussion
  • Comparisons with other clubs on that front and why things happen
  • Balancing books discussion
  • Jamie Mac was DH's decision - tends to indicate a degree of ruthlessness
  • LJ sacking talked about
  • City's ethos eluded too
  • Final question about what DH have to achieve - there is a need to be challenging for promotion but no gun to the head on this

What are the mixed messages?

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We  know they aren't serious about challenging.

"Dean has no specific targets" tells its own story.

I agree red robbo . We will soon know after about the first 8 games. I hope we are then around a 4 win , 2 draw and 2 loss = 14 out of 24 points which should sit us around 7th or 8th in the championship, any thing less than that it all starts the horrible fiasco again 

4 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

The interview is here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08n8p8r

The interview with MA starts just after 57 minutes.

People can make their own minds up whether he's a bull shitter or not. It's a typical suit conversation and is typical of a professional going about his job and no doubt people will tar him with their own brush based on their own prejudices/biases. Personally, I don't like these types as they tend to be rather slippery, but I have no reason to call him a liar - he is typical of his breed. For those who think that 20p put him under pressure, I think they are kidding themselves.

The following was discussed (17 minute chat):

• DL is expected to be challenging for promotion
  • Rolling one year contract
  • DL has the final say of signing players
  • No one in the recruitment department has left
  • Clarification given on CS - DH made the call
  • Talk about the coaches - DH choices
  • A little bit of clarification about DH selection
  • Cheap option question
  • The SL quotes from TS were brought up
  • Player contract renewal discussion
  • Comparisons with other clubs on that front and why things happen
  • Balancing books discussion
  • Jamie Mac was DH's decision - tends to indicate a degree of ruthlessness
  • LJ sacking talked about
  • City's ethos eluded too
  • Final question about what DH have to achieve - there is a need to be challenging for promotion but no gun to the head on this

What are the mixed messages?

If Dean is expected to be challenging for promotion, but without a gun being held to his head, which to me seems fair enough then he has to be backed adequately. Anyone who thinks our current squad will challenge for promotion without being reinforced is quite simply deluded. It would send a very mixed message IF Dean does not receive adequate backing, whether that is through selling players and being given the money to spend or through a degree of additional funding.

As for the previous mixed messages given out by the Board, one on national radio, no need to revisit that................

Just now, City oz said:

I agree red robbo . We will soon know after about the first 8 games. I hope we are then around a 4 win , 2 draw and 2 loss = 14 out of 24 points which should sit us around 7th or 8th in the championship, any thing less than that it all starts the horrible fiasco again 

Perhaps I am underestimating Holden's coaching abilities, perhaps I'll be very pleasantly surprised, but I expect us to be looking more at the bottom of the table than the top.

Gary Johnson worked wonders with a very average squad, maybe Holden can.

Because he's never held the position before, we can only guess how good he'll be once he begins to make his own mark on the team.

The sense of 'what could have been' though has certainly taken the wind out of the sails at City for me.  I'd be surprised if the players don't feel it as well. 

Archived