IGNORED

Scottish football

daored

What a mess Scottish football is in right now. First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has called for Celtic & Aberdeen games to be postponed amid breaches.

She says she does not want the whole of the football season to be in jeopardy.

"But there cannot be one rule for football players and one rule for everyone else," she says.

"My message to footballers, who are given permission to play on strict conditions, is that you are role models. I think it is reasonable to expect you to live up to those responsibilities."

Celtic defender Boli Bolingoli breached coronavirus rules.

Bolingoli admitted he played in Sunday's draw with Kilmarnock at Rugby Park despite having recently returned from Spain without quarantining.

The defender said he was "guilty of an error of judgement" and apologised.

• Admin

What I find amazing is that apart from this guy they've had most of the Aberdeen side out on the lash all within the first part of the Scottish season.

Unless I missed the headlines the squads of the top two leagues in England managed to play out the remainder of their seasons without any players breaking their quarantine bubbles, so why is it so difficult North of the border to stay in line?

I'd be surprised to see him keep his job at Celtic tbh, I could imagine the Scottish Government and SPFL will be leaning heavily on Celtic this afternoon

You really must have a screw, or more like a bolt, loose to fly to Spain and back given everything that has gone on and as for the Aberdeen lot.

I get the impression that if this happens again Sturgeon will simply cancel the football season full stop.....as in the whole season.

The people I feel sorry for are the tens, possibly even hundreds of people who attend Premier League matches in Scotland.................... 

Well they should be Ferencváros' opponents in the 2nd prelim round of CL (if we past through the first); we're all very curious what happens if the Scottish government orders them for 2 weeks quarantine as they can't play their game then with the Icelandic team....

And there is no room for postponing any game: UEFA stated that the team which can't attend the game is automatically out from the competition. I think this Boli lad can be unemployed in a few days time if this scenario happens.

1 hour ago, redsince1994 said:

Surely both should forfeit their next 2 matches. 

Postponement should be for an unavoidable incident such as weather. The other teams are not a fault so shouldn't have to suffer through a rearranged match. 

That’s a fair shout, actually - why should their opponents suffer for the stupidity and selfishness of their players. This is serious business, people’s lives are at stake so they hey should have the book thrown at them.

1 hour ago, redsince1994 said:

Surely both should forfeit their next 2 matches. 

Postponement should be for an unavoidable incident such as weather. The other teams are not a fault so shouldn't have to suffer through a rearranged match. 

Be careful what you wish for.  It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that one of our players might transgress.

3 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

That’s a fair shout, actually - why should their opponents suffer for the stupidity and selfishness of their players. This is serious business, people’s lives are at stake so they hey should have the book thrown at them.

3-0 wins awarded perhaps plus fines equating to the anticipated revenue for the opposition arising from the games ?

1 minute ago, Malago said:

Be careful what you wish for.  It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that one of our players might transgress.

Then the club would have to suck it up unfortunately.

15 minutes ago, Malago said:

If any of our players transgress then they are as retarded as Boli and the eight Aberdeen players and any punishment the club receives as a result would be fully deserved.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Why hasn’t the Celtic player undergone a test first?  Are they not operating a similar testing protocol to us?

They didn't know he'd gone abroad at first, the players were given a couple of days off but told to stay in Glasgow and the player made the decision to go to Spain for 1 night and then play and came to light after from what I can make out.

2 hours ago, Super said:

So they all tested negative so why have games been postponed?

Because it sets a precedent that breaking the rules is ok. For instance, if someone drove from London to Durham during a lockdown and got away with it, others might think they can too. And the next person who does it might not test negative.

4 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Because it sets a precedent that breaking the rules is ok. For instance, if someone drove from London to Durham during a lockdown and got away with it, others might think they can too. And the next person who does it might not test negative.

No one would be that stupid/selfish!

Archived