IGNORED

Line up for game 1??

Simon bristol

It appears deano wants to play a 352 for next season, there may be one or 2 in, but as it stands who would you have as the starting 11?

for me

bentley

moore kalas baker

vyner                     Dasilva

Morell nagy walsh 

diedhou wells

thats assuming fam is still here, which doesnt seem likely at the moment

I think we just go bold & brave, given the midfield options we’ve got. We have no ‘experienced’ CM guy at this level and I don’t trust Nagy. So I’d go with the following (on the assumption we’re losing NE & FD) :

Bentley

Kalas-Moore-Baker

Hunt - Walsh - Morrell - Dasilva

Palmer

Weimann - Wells 

GK & Back 3 picks itself. 
Paterson would be Palmers back up. 
Vyner to back up Hunt or the CB’s. 
I’d keep Pring to back up Dasilva. 
Massengo & Nagy back up CM’s. 
We lack up top, but Semenyo would be the back up there. 

Weimann gives you the legs that Palmer doesn’t in the effort to press high.
Palmer given free reign.
Walsh & Morrell both control tempo but also have licence to roam (providing one stays). Moore can play out. Wing backs high. 

We’ll lose a few games. But we’ll win a few, it’ll hopefully be exciting and also does the job of playing academy lads, Morrell starting with plenty of minutes for Vyner, Pring, Semenyo. 

Very difficult at this stage as we don't know if we will make any signings but I think it will be something like...

Bentley

Moore       Kalas        Baker

Hunt                       Nagy            Dasilva

Walsh        Palmer

Wells     Weimann

O'Leary

Rowe

Vyner

Massengo

Morrell

Paterson

Semenyo

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

It appears deano wants to play a 352 for next season, there may be one or 2 in, but as it stands who would you have as the starting 11?

for me

bentley

moore kalas baker

vyner                     Dasilva

Morell nagy walsh 

diedhou wells

thats assuming fam is still here, which doesnt seem likely at the moment

To be fair he said he’ll play the shape that best suits the players we have . Depends who comes and goes I suppose . 

After everything else that’s happened 3 at the back seems most likely, plus wing backs. Wells will be up front, probably with Weimann and one other (Palmer or Pato) behind him.

It’s the midfield 3 that’s the real conundrum. A lot of similar players, and no one with any height or much bite. A commanding central midfielder seems a must but LJ gave Henriksen his marching orders! ? 

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

After everything else that’s happened 3 at the back seems most likely, plus wing backs. Wells will be up front, probably with Weimann and one other (Palmer or Pato) behind him.

It’s the midfield 3 that’s the real conundrum. A lot of similar players, and no one with any height or much bite. A commanding central midfielder seems a must but LJ gave Henriksen his marching orders! ? 

Walsh & Morrell will add bite 

I don’t know how anyone can predict anything after 1 day of training & no idea who will be sold & who we will sign, but amazed at the number leaving out Paterson (3 goals, 2 assists in the 9 games post lockdown) in favour of Palmer (2 passes to a team mate in the same period).

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’ll be interesting to see what DH  does with szmodics  . I know it was only league one last season but he certainly shone  at posh. Holden did say he wants a high tempo, pressing to win the ball back ASAP .Szmodics  gives us that high energy from the front. 

Think #feelingsupersonicgivemesammieszmodics will get plenty more minutes this season...as will several others.  Condensed season, will need to rotate midfield.

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t know how anyone can predict anything after 1 day of training & no idea who will be sold & who we will sign, but amazed at the number leaving out Paterson (3 goals, 2 assists in the 9 games post lockdown) in favour of Palmer (2 passes to a team mate in the same period).

You know I like Palmer, but I totally agree.  Down to Palmer to oust Pato imho.

3 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

4b4x9b.jpg

Obviously transfers permitting but 

Bentley

Vyner Kalas Moore Dasilva

Massengo Nagy/Walsh

Eliasson Palmer Pato

Fam

Holden admitted he likes 352....but recruitment could obviously change that.

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I must admit GC, I ummed and aahed about this one. 
In my 3-4-1-2 formation, I’ve got Palmer as the 1 behind the strikers. I was this close to putting Paterson in there, but I went with Palmer, almost as a last chance saloon. A chance to turn it on under a new boss and with a free role. 
If he doesn’t perform, Pato is straight in there. 

With squad as of today

Bentley

Vyner               Kalas           Moore

Hunt                                                                 Dasilva

Morrell            Massengo

Walsh                         Paterson

Wells

As it stands

Bentley

Hunt

Moore

Kalas

Baker

Dasilva

Nagy

Walsh

Paterson

Wells

Diedhiou

With transfers I think a right back/wing back will definitely happen, can’t see Fam staying so a new striker to replace him, wouldn’t be shocked to see a new centre back come in with Benkovic going back and no one knows what’s happening with Williams and a big holding midfielder aswell for me

With today’s squad (and assuming the players who were out on loan get back up to speed quickly):

Bentley

Kalas  Moore  Baker

Hunt Nagy Walsh Morrell Dasilva               

Wells  Paterson 

4231, and assuming no transfers

Bentley

Hunt Moore Kalas Dasilva

Morrell  Nagy

Elliason        Massengo

Paterson

Wells

I personally really dislike 352 - but appreciate that others seem to love it.  I just feel it only works if your wide centre backs are who are, not just comfortable on the ball, but very attack minded. Prepared and able to overlap, comfortable dribbling and taking on a player and have good pace and energy.  They need to play as the extra wide player in attack when the ball is on that side of the pitch. Sheffield United do it excellently and so did we under SC.  I don't think we have the players for that e.g. NB, AW and NB although Moore could potentially be one of them. However, without two of them I think it can become a rigid and turgid formation. I know I am in the minority but I thought one of the issues we had last year was that we had a squad assembled for 4231/433 (e.g. a vast number of wingers and No.10s including our biggest assist threat in NE), but we were to determined to play 2 up top, be that 352 or 442, this is despite our main strengths and balance of the squad assembled. E.g. NE couldn't fit into that and other players such as CO'D got shoehorned into unnatural positions (centre mid). 442 didn't help that much ether as NE needed greater protection than you get from playing with 2 centre midfielders and playing as a winger against most oppositions who play 451 meant we were out numbered so he would have to sit in narrower to try and compete numerically and in turn diminishing his attacking threat, and in turn expositing his defensive weaknesses.  It's probably why our possession stats were so low. Equally, I am not sure our strikers suited a 442 e.g. they were all generally quite similar - play on the last man - strikers.  We don't really have a link up, drop in the hole front man to complement the other one. Thus we ended up playing with straight lines which are easy to mark and create little space.  People see 4231 as being quite defensive but a settled attacking midfield 3 of  NE. KP  & AW/JP with one of Fam/BA/NW upfront would have had pace, width, counter attacking ability and got the best out of our biggest threat in NE. For me, last year's team should had been built around him. He could had been as effective for us as how Mosses and Sinclair was for Palace back in the day. To late now as he will be off I am sure. 

Anyway, football is a game of opinions and all in the past but 352 does concern me if entertaining football is what we want. 

29 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

With squad as of today

Bentley

Vyner               Kalas           Moore

Hunt                                                                 Dasilva

Morrell            Massengo

Walsh                         Paterson

Wells

Massengo will not be in the starting line up next season one of the good things Holden did in the games in charge last season was to take him out of the team. Not good enough at the moment Walsh Morrell and a new defensive midfielder will likely be the midfield for next season. With Holden as head coach we may discover if the academy is producing the quality required as I feel a few of them will be given an opportunity in the first team. 

4 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Massengo will not be in the starting line up next season one of the good things Holden did in the games in charge last season was to take him out of the team. Not good enough at the moment Walsh Morrell and a new defensive midfielder will likely be the midfield for next season. With Holden as head coach we may discover if the academy is producing the quality required as I feel a few of them will be given an opportunity in the first team. 

Problem is that the club has to see some development from massengo,,, they surely will be looking to realise a big transfer fee from him over the next few years and he needs to be playing for that to happen

7 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Said squad as of today

Just now, Simon bristol said:

Problem is that the club has to see some development from massengo,,, they surely will be looking to realise a big transfer fee from him over the next few years and he needs to be playing for that to happen

I don't think Massengo started any of the games under Holden so that would suggest he doesn't rate him Johnsons mistake last season was bringing in Nagy amd Massengo he ended up with a midfield that wasn't defensive or creative and was dreadfully unentertaining and all the problems stemmed from that so surely Holden won't do the same thing

8 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

I don't think Massengo started any of the games under Holden so that would suggest he doesn't rate him Johnsons mistake last season was bringing in Nagy amd Massengo he ended up with a midfield that wasn't defensive or creative and was dreadfully unentertaining and all the problems stemmed from that so surely Holden won't do the same thing

I’ve tried a number of times last season to try to explain the Nagy/Massengo traits and have probably used a thousand words. 
You’ve used 14 words in one sentence that succinctly states my thoughts. 
Well done Orange. I like it. 

Archived