IGNORED

Macclesfield relegated from L2 after EFL win appeal, Sheffield Wednesday impact?

Lrrr

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Wednesday still have the right to appeal, in a normal season their case would have concluded after the end, so I really don't expect them to have any punishment for last season, the appeal and final decision will be into the new season.

Can you appeal an appeal? The decision was set and the EFL are appealing their decision.

• Admin

5 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

When are Derby due in the dock?

Still ongoing.

Let us hope Sheffield Wednesday appeal won by the EFL if indeed they choose to appeal it- EFL seem to be on a bit of a winning streak at last! Derby who knows how that will pan out or when it'll be decided. Problem is it's a case of least bad- Charlton are teetering with expulsion, Wigan with bankruptcy- so it's Hobson's Choice tbh.

I'd still be quite happy with EFL winning most, if not all of their cases though if not relegation this season for Sheffield Wednesday- and Charlton and Wigan to survive financially.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Still ongoing.

Let us hope Sheffield Wednesday appeal won by the EFL if indeed they choose to appeal it- EFL seem to be on a bit of a winning streak at last! Derby who knows how that will pan out or when it'll be decided. Problem is it's a case of least bad- Charlton are teetering with expulsion, Wigan with bankruptcy- so it's Hobson's Choice tbh.

I'd still be quite happy with EFL winning most, if not all of their cases though if not relegation this season for Sheffield Wednesday- and Charlton and Wigan to survive financially.

Wouldn't like to see any club go out of business or be expelled particularly clubs like Charlton who have a great tradition, it's a bit of a perfect storm that the EFL finally seems to be able to punsih clubs just in time for the biggest financial challenge football has faced. To be honest it may be better for us if the Sheff Wed point deductions and presumably Derby are enforced next season as with the likes of Wycombe, Rotherham, Coventry in the league you would like to think that even if we struggle we wouldn't be in any danger.

6 hours ago, Realist said:

To be fair to Sheffield Wednesday..great fans.. great away support always funny. Feel sorry for them

Another good thing about Wednesday, they’re not Sheffield ******* Utd.  

26 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

To be honest it may be better for us if the Sheff Wed point deductions and presumably Derby are enforced next season as with the likes of Wycombe, Rotherham, Coventry in the league you would like to think that even if we struggle we wouldn't be in any danger.

One thing we can’t take for granted is teams like Wycombe and Rotherham sitting in the bottom 2 all season. If Burton can survive a season in the Championship then Wycombe can. Given the financial situation at the moment, the players we’ve lost, the uncertainty about players coming in and our new inexperienced management team I can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t welcome a 12 point head start on as many teams as possible?

23 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

One thing we can’t take for granted is teams like Wycombe and Rotherham sitting in the bottom 2 all season. If Burton can survive a season in the Championship then Wycombe can. Given the financial situation at the moment, the players we’ve lost, the uncertainty about players coming in and our new inexperienced management team I can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t welcome a 12 point head start on as many teams as possible?

Are they still coming for us?

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Agree with the part that I am happy to have as many sides on minus points as possible as frankly its one more team below us. 

Not sure I agree about Wycombe and Rotherham, in any normal season I agree, going to Adams Park would have been difficult with their fans, same for Rotherham, however without fans for a good chunk of the season and potentially without full attendance for all of it I think that disadvantages the weaker sides much more. 

4 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Wouldn't like to see any club go out of business or be expelled particularly clubs like Charlton who have a great tradition, it's a bit of a perfect storm that the EFL finally seems to be able to punsih clubs just in time for the biggest financial challenge football has faced. To be honest it may be better for us if the Sheff Wed point deductions and presumably Derby are enforced next season as with the likes of Wycombe, Rotherham, Coventry in the league you would like to think that even if we struggle we wouldn't be in any danger.

Yeah I don't want to see anyone bankrupt or expelled. Don't think any of us do!

What I mean is if it was applied in season just gone after a successful appeal, then one of Charlton or Wigan stayed up only to go bankrupt or get expelled a 23 team division wouldn't look good for EFL!

Yeah, better next season for us for sure- if it turned out to be a transitional season under Holden say before appointment of a bigger name in 2021 (12 month rolling contract, and a lot of the squad out of contract summer 2021) then points deductions would help us for sure, help to keep us away from relegation.

The timing is not exactly ideal but likely kicked in partly due to Bury. 

15 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Laughable some of the comments on there as if they're being picked on, even a suggestion of the championship breaking away and making PL2 ?

That suggestion is commonplace on OwlsTalk! Has a few problems though.

1) PL would need to agree.

2) The pool of money for existing PL clubs would be lower.

3) Sky or ANOther would likely need to shell out more. Do they not remember the ITV Digital fiasco??

Having said that, I think or have thought (prior to Covid impacts obviously) the Championship punches below its weight, has punched below its weight and could surely do better financially.

4) The FA would need to agree. 

5) Possible that the EFL would have something to say legally.

Charlton are said to be taking legal advice over the situation they would have survived if the Sheffield Wednesday punishment took place this season. 

It doesn't make sense for Wigan's punishment to be "well if you do well it applies this season, if you get relegated it's next" whereas Sheffield Wednesday's (and most likely Derby who I feel should get an even bigger points deduction for overpricing their stadium) is next season.

Archived