IGNORED

What position in the league is acceptable this season

Redtrojan

What position is acceptable this season?  

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it'll be flexible. MA's interview with Twentyman made that clear. If he's played reasonable football, given a lot of minutes to young players and promoted the 'pathway', then I think the board will settle for 12th probably. 

7 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Would be absolutely stunned if we finished in the top half. We were poor last season and have done nothing to improve the squad or the staff. 

If we lose Fam and or Elliason we're in deep shit.

What Lansdown & Ashton deserve is league one... nothing better.

8 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

What is acceptable? 6th

LJ got sacked for not getting us into the play offs why should Holden have an easier ride? 

I am saying similar but not because of the easy ride reason. I thought the remit was always to improve season on season so next season it has to be better than 12th but more so better than Lee's highest finish or we are slipping backwards. 

8 hours ago, Redtrojan said:

Clearly we’ve been through a lengthy recruitment process for our new manager and the general consensus of opinion is that it appears a little underwhelming.

That may well turn out to be unfair and I wish Dean the best of luck and hope he is well supported by the owners.

In some ways having empty stadiums may be a blessing in disguise as I fear Dean would cop plenty of flack if we don’t start well ,which again could be premature,remember how close Ferguson came to the sack at old Trafford ,prior to his long run of successes.

That said ,what is a reasonable expectation for this season??

I’m going to suggest flirting with the play offs but finishing in the top half of the table would be ok .....as long as it looks like we have a pattern of play and can build on that.

Anywhere above relegation 

29 minutes ago, weepywall said:

One thing I will say, seems like quite a few are pinning their hopes on Walsh, Morrell and Moore, feels like the pressure is on those 3 from some quarters already.

Moore has proven he is very capable at this level. The other two I am not so sure about.

We finished 12th last season and are losing two of our better players. Expecting Holden to finish in the top 6 without backing would be very childish and outright stupidity on the part of posters who don’t agree with the appointment (I wouldn’t have made it but I’m not thick as shit and can see the tools the bloke has currently been given to work with).

Only the most one eyed idiot genuinely thinks we have a squad good enough to finish top 6. In fact you would have to be certified blind to believe it. If Holden is not allowed to significantly reinforce I will be happy with anything above 16th place tbh. Not what I want to be saying and if proven to be correct then the blame lies firmly at Steve Lansdowns door.

27 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We finished 12th last season and are losing two of our better players. Expecting Holden to finish in the top 6 without backing would be very childish and outright stupidity on the part of posters who don’t agree with the appointment (I wouldn’t have made it but I’m not thick as shit and can see the tools the bloke has currently been given to work with).

Only the most one eyed idiot genuinely thinks we have a squad good enough to finish top 6. In fact you would have to be certified blind to believe it. If Holden is not allowed to significantly reinforce I will be happy with anything above 16th place tbh. Not what I want to be saying and if proven to be correct then the blame lies firmly at Steve Lansdowns door.

I think you’re missing the point - I don’t see people saying our squad is good enough, far from it.

What people are saying is that Johnson was sacked for not achieving top 6. The board haven’t indicated expectations have changed - as a result in fans eyes the expectations are the same.

It’s up to the board either to be honest with fans and express that expectations have changed, or back Holden and give him the players he needs to match their expectations.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think you’re missing the point - I don’t see people saying our squad is good enough, far from it.

What people are saying is that Johnson was sacked for not achieving top 6. The board haven’t indicated expectations have changed - as a result in fans eyes the expectations are the same.

It’s up to the board either to be honest with fans and express that expectations have changed, or back Holden and give him the players he needs to match their expectations.

The question was what position in the league is acceptable this season. I answered from a personal perspective not on behalf of the circus upstairs. How can you have an “expectation” that defies the reality and the facts as you know them?

Johnson never achieved top 6 because he spent too much money on average players and made his Dad’s mistake of accumulating  too many punts (a player left us yesterday after 2 years without making a single appearance for the club).

Logic that says I expect top 6 although I know the squad is lower mid table but I still expect top 6 seems strange logic to me.

What’s acceptable... top 6 and promotion is expected, like MA Quoted that REMAINS the ambition of the club and after a VIGOROUS selection system ... Holden is the man to do it !! (Although I think lower half beckons) 

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The question was what position in the league is acceptable this season. I answered from a personal perspective not on behalf of the circus upstairs. How can you have an “expectation” that defies the reality and the facts as you know them?

Johnson never achieved top 6 because he spent too much money on average players and made his Dad’s mistake of accumulating  too many punts (a player left us yesterday after 2 years without making a single appearance for the club).

Logic that says I expect top 6 although I know the squad is lower mid table but I still expect top 6 seems strange logic to me.

Tell that to the board then, we all know it’s a tough ask. 

My personal opinion is we’ll end up somewhere between 10th and 16th. My expectation is for top 6 because we have to hold the board accountable. 

They've given no notification that expectations have changed - they obviously think Holden is capable of achieving what Johnson wasn’t.

If we allow the board to get away with things and there’s no accountability, we’ll slide into mediocrity. 

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Tell that to the board then, we all know it’s a tough ask. 

My personal opinion is we’ll end up somewhere between 10th and 16th. My expectation is for top 6 because we have to hold the board accountable. 

They've given no notification that expectations have changed - they obviously think Holden is capable of achieving what Johnson wasn’t.

If we allow the board to get away with things and there’s no accountability, we’ll slide into mediocrity. 

Couldn’t agree more. It’s Steve Lansdown and Mark Ashton who ultimately have to justify the sound bites they make to the media. The majority view on Holden’s appointment is clear. It’s down to them and them alone.

Ahh, it’s like roulette isn’t it, with only 24 slots.

I can say with some certainty that I expect a top 6 finish.

To do so we need:

a proper hard b*****d in CM

a right back

I can also say with some certainty, that we will finish in 12-18 position.

and if you think Ashton and JL made the “Holden” decision, you’re deluded.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Couldn’t agree more. It’s Steve Lansdown and Mark Ashton who ultimately have to justify the sound bites they make to the media. The majority view on Holden’s appointment is clear. It’s down to them and them alone.

5 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

If MA and JL are certain he’d do a better job than Chris Hughton, then we have to expect play-offs as a minimum.

Exactly - they have to back Holden now. They’ve created this situation and unrest within the fan base. They’ve taken a risk - now they have to back that risk.

Credit to you all, this is a quality thread to read with top-class responses.

Pleased to see that no one is expecting relegation.

An acceptable position has to be the top ten of the Championship - with a push for the play-offs if possible. 

I'd look further ahead and predict that DH will be sacked next summer if the club finish lower than the top half.

42 minutes ago, Super said:

Talk of playoffs is laughable. This will be a long hard season, just glad we won't be there to watch it.

I haven't seen anyone saying they think we'll be in the playoffs, its more about what is an acceptable finishing position given our world class recruitment campaign with 100+ candidates, multi-stage sifting process, and rigorous interviewing resulting in the best possible human being appointed. 

Do i expect us to finish top 6?  No, I expect the above to be exposed as the absolute BS it obviously is.

With the current squad? I believe we'd end up more of less the same positon. I'd be okay with that under Holden, I think that would be a good season under him. The performances surely can't get worse since LJ left right?

With some new additions we could see ourselves getting top 10 maybe. I know its hypocritical of them but it would be harsh for the board to sack DH for a midtable finish, like what else are they expecting?! They surely cannot have the same standard for DH & LJ. 

I can see the three relegated clubs all being strong to be honest. 

Can see Brentford being strong again. Derby and Cardiff being in the play-off mix. Millwall look much improved as well. 

Unless we spend big which I highly doubt or get some real quality on loan with an inexperienced head coach I just don't think anything more than Mid table is a realistic expectation. 

12 hours ago, Redtrojan said:

Clearly we’ve been through a lengthy recruitment process for our new manager and the general consensus of opinion is that it appears a little underwhelming.

That may well turn out to be unfair and I wish Dean the best of luck and hope he is well supported by the owners.

In some ways having empty stadiums may be a blessing in disguise as I fear Dean would cop plenty of flack if we don’t start well ,which again could be premature,remember how close Ferguson came to the sack at old Trafford ,prior to his long run of successes.

That said ,what is a reasonable expectation for this season??

I’m going to suggest flirting with the play offs but finishing in the top half of the table would be ok .....as long as it looks like we have a pattern of play and can build on that.

Top 6, anything else is a failure, we sacked johnson for not getting into the top 6, its only right the new coaching team tasked with take us to the next level be based of that same criteria 

Some seem to have mis-interpreted the question. 

What is acceptable? 6th or higher. LJ was sacked for not achieving this. The boards target hasn’t changed and in Holden, they believe he is the “right” man to achieve it. Why else would they pass on Hughton etc. 

It concerns me that people are saying they would accept a lower position. It’s very difficult to just stand still/maintain a steady state in the Championship. Invariably, you are either improving or regressing. And when you start regressing, it’s difficult to turn it around. 

Archived