IGNORED

Gregor Rates the bedsheet

Shtanley

Just now, Packman said:

Thanks for that, but it's still not as easy as just saying he's had money thrown at him every window, obviously with ffp this isn't possible.

I would use the term “he’s been very well backed”, albeit in an inflationary transfer market  Bearing in mind the costs far exceed the income every season, last season he made £24m “transfer profit”....and spent £24m on new players.

He did a decent job, ultimately didn’t hit the objectives set.

Nice listen, thank you.

I would say there perhaps could have been more discussion about Ashton's clear exasperation to Twentyman when questioned about transfers and how the head coach has final sign off. I certainly feel (and I suspect a lot of us do) that there is more to it than that, though I have no doubt that Holden will have the opportunity to say yay or nay, it is all the rest of the "process" which was open knowledge, early on in LJ's tenure eventually stopped being in the public domain and since it seems likely that other candidates failed the clubs policy here, it is something that I am concerned about.

From the obvious stuff like who actually determines what position and role we need to recruit and who decides on the names to fulfil that criteria. Is there any Head Coach involvement here?

Could the Head Coach's final sign off have any stipulations attached to it? For instance, if you don't agree to take this player then you'll fail a bonus objective (this is just an example). 

To borrow an Ashtonism: Are the "oceans" from which we once fished now a puddle represented by a select bunch of agents that "we" prefer to do business with?  

There are probably loads more questions that could be debated around this, with absolutely no way of finding out the answers!

I dunno, I feel like I am slipping into conspiracy theories, but there's something to do with this, which isn't being disclosed which probably had a pretty big impact on Holden's eventual appointment.

Just now, Simon bristol said:

I think that is supposed to illustrate he delivered midtable finishes?

Looking objectively.

He lost his players regularly. Had negative net spend.

And improved us each year.... until this one of course which he paid for, with his job.

Overall tho, i dont see how anyone could say he didnt do well overall and other championship clubs will look favourably at him

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Hey y'all. 

Episode #107 of OSIB is out. Exiled Robin, Gregor MacGregor and Dave join me to discuss the holden appointment amongst other things.

As always keen to hear feedback about what you liked, didn't like, agreed and disagreed with!

LISTEN AND FOLLOW HERE

Have to say some of the comments in this weeks' podcast were quite wide of the mark for me. Criticism of John from Kingswood, praise for Ashton, and having a grumble at fans for being unhappy with the lack of ambition in the football club compared with the rugby club (regardless of financial comparisons) - seemed quite a detached from reality pod. Shame as previous episodes had been right on the money. 

3 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Have to say some of the comments in this weeks' podcast were quite wide of the mark for me. Criticism of John from Kingswood, praise for Ashton, and having a grumble at fans for being unhappy with the lack of ambition in the football club compared with the rugby club (regardless of financial comparisons) - seemed quite a detached from reality pod. Shame as previous episodes had been right on the money. 

I thought this podcast was nearer to reality than the fans they were talking about.

Some of the comments i've read have been massively out of touch. Especially those people comparing the rugby club!

Glad to see people with sense!

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I thought this podcast was nearer to reality than the fans they were talking about.

Some of the comments i've read have been massively out of touch. Especially those people comparing the rugby club!

I'd back this up. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but I thought it was refreshing to hear a different more positive take on issues such as Ashton,  Holden and the board and the debate is all the better for hearing a range of views on the topics. There have been lot's of airing of more negative views on other platforms such as Radio Bristol and maybe to a certain extent other podcasts so nice to hear a well articulated counter argument.

I must say it's fantastic having so many great Bristol City podcasts out there atm, all providing a slightly different slant on things. Big thank you to all involved in OSIB, Forever Bristol City, BS3 Talk and 3 peeps and a podcast you are all doing a great job. Looking forward to Gregor and Michelle's podcast to start back up again soon too!

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would use the term “he’s been very well backed”, albeit in an inflationary transfer market  Bearing in mind the costs far exceed the income every season, last season he made £24m “transfer profit”....and spent £24m on new players.

He did a decent job, ultimately didn’t hit the objectives set.

But of course the convenient point some (not you Dave) forget or ignore is the wage cost of those going out compared to the wage costs of those coming in to replace them, plus the wage costs of those who are "ones for the future" who ain't going anywhere because they aren't much good.

If though, as we are led to believe Johnson didn't have a say in who came in or out then perhaps the debate over player sales and purchases in the context of the former head coach is moot.

A good podcast is OSIB, listen regularly but I can't say it was the most balanced podcast the recent one.

I didn't think the damning of John of Radio Bristol was appropriate at all, actually thought he was expressing what majority of the fans were feeling. No need.

Lee Johnson getting a top job in Championship, hmmm. Most fans of other clubs in this league felt he was holding us back.

I think the guys that were on do not speak for the general feeling of the fanbase as a whole and came across too afraid to criticise the club.

2 hours ago, bris red said:

Yup agreed - even if he was to land another championship job i just don’t see how he would cope. Number 1 there is not a chance in hell he will get backed at a mid to small championship outfit (as that’s the only ones that will come in for him Imo) like he did here - not a chance. And number 2 he will almost certainly go on another horrendous run at his next club which will mean certain dismissal.

I just can’t see LJ having anything other than a nosedive in his career now, i think BCFC will have been the pinnacle for him. He’s a very lucky boy to have even gotten the opportunity here.

Imagine him at Sheffield Wednesday with the nonsense he spouts. He would be hounded out. Think some have to realise our fanbase is nowhere near as loud as other clubs in this league. I think our fans are way more tolerant than majority.

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Imagine him at Sheffield Wednesday with the nonsense he spouts. He would be hounded out. Think some have to realise our fanbase is nowhere near as loud as other clubs in this league. I think our fans are way more tolerant than majority.

Think the opposite is true!

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

A good podcast is OSIB, listen regularly but I can't say it was the most balanced podcast the recent one.

I didn't think the damning of John of Radio Bristol was appropriate at all, actually thought he was expressing what majority of the fans were feeling. No need.

Lee Johnson getting a top job in Championship, hmmm. Most fans of other clubs in this league felt he was holding us back.

I think the guys that were on do not speak for the general feeling of the fanbase as a whole and came across too afraid to criticise the club.

Pretty sure the comments on the Radio Bristol guy were said in jest, definitely didn't come across as malicious to me. Anyone that goes on public radio to state Aitor Karanka is a 'world class' manager deserves a bit of banter in my eyes!

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Think the opposite is true!

Why? 
I read Sheffield United fans wanting Chris Wilder out last month. Wolves fans being disappointed yesterday after losing to Sevilla. Nottingham Forest fans moaning to their manager about finishing 7th. Yet Lee Johnson who had a record defeats in a row still had a job and had a vast amount of support. I would say very tolerant. If Sheffield Wednesday/Forest/Birmingham made this appointment there would have been a similar reaction of disgust.

5 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Pretty sure the comments on the Radio Bristol guy were said in jest, definitely didn't come across as malicious to me. Anyone that goes on public radio to state Aitor Karanka is a 'world class' manager deserves a bit of banter in my eyes!

Aitor Karanka quote aside, the rest of his points were fair enough and spoke for a lot of fans.

56 minutes ago, Riaz said:

To each their own.

20 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Spot on.

17 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Given the standard and ability of the squads we have assembled since 17/18, it’s criminal we’ve never reached the play offs once.

The cup run season wqs the obvious one,,, we were absolutely flying and had just beaten united. The fall was so dramatic you start to wonder whether it was done on purpose?

40 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I get what your saying but I don't think it's a matter of 'too afraid to criticise the club' yes it was a variety of opinions that didn't probably fit your view of the situation, Mark Ashton or the club in general but there are countless topics, calls into Radio Bristol (that were mentioned), tweets, bedsheets and more that have recently fit that narrative.

It's not like the podcast is regulated and has to adhere to bias regulations. It's a selection of fans who give their opinion, if it happens to differ from yours then great. You get to hear a different perspective from your own.

This forum is full of people who like to outright criticise the board and they are probably the loudest in that respect but I don't think it's fair to dismiss the valid points as sidling up to the club because they may contrast with yours. In respect of year on year increased performance on league position, revenue, investment, attendances all under the heading of Mark Ashton, the board and previously Lee Johnson I think he made a good point.

It's not something you may agree with but it's their personal opinion and that should be expressed regardless.

4 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Any decent manager doesn’t continuously go on these bad runs though. Yes I accept that we also went on good runs. The only consistent was the inconsistent when you look at it. 

The problem he has is that if he lost one game he felt he had to change everything, you don’t, you back what you are doing and if it’s the right way it will come good. Once you mess about constantly with different players, different formations, different tactics you basically admit you don’t know what your doing. Add in the way the dropped players feel, and you start to lose some of these players.

Its no coincidence that the best football and best consistent run of results he had, was when he was forced into playing a settled side because of injuries and the like. 

Those losing runs wasn't just at city he had it at Barnsley as well.. I honestly have never understood what the hype is about Johnson.

Gregor is comedy gold! 

Good listen chaps, I'm in agreement that it's a well balanced view compared to some of the posts on here.

I think people some how believe that this forum and angry people on social media represent the majority of the fanbase when they obviously don't. 

2 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Completely agree with this.

Many of the comments didn’t represent my reality and the views of those around me. Whilst the comments on Ashton in particular didn’t gel with me; the facts are clearly the facts the ‘how’ wasn’t really discussed.

On the whole not a balanced view of the fan base for me and an understanding of all points of view. 

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

I have run out of likes but have to say I completely agree.

The guests were all too similar in their views and couldn’t seem to understand the views different to theirs.

It would’ve been much more balanced with someone like Rob F there I think.

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

2 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Just because you don’t agree with it doesn’t mean it’s detached from reality. 

A calmer, more thought through response is what you will find on OSIB and those type of fans aren’t necessarily the minority but they are drowned out on forums and social media.  

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

I get what your saying but I don't think it's a matter of 'too afraid to criticise the club' yes it was a variety of opinions that didn't probably fit your view of the situation, Mark Ashton or the club in general but there are countless topics, calls into Radio Bristol (that were mentioned), tweets, bedsheets and more that have recently fit that narrative.

It's not like the podcast is regulated and has to adhere to bias regulations. It's a selection of fans who give their opinion, if it happens to differ from yours then great. You get to hear a different perspective from your own.

This forum is full of people who like to outright criticise the board and they are probably the loudest in that respect but I don't think it's fair to dismiss the valid points as sidling up to the club because they may contrast with yours. In respect of year on year increased performance on league position, revenue, investment, attendances all under the heading of Mark Ashton, the board and previously Lee Johnson I think he made a good point.

It's not something you may agree with but it's their personal opinion and that should be expressed regardless.

I agree with most of this, it would’ve been good to have differing views on the podcast.

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Just because you don’t agree with it doesn’t mean it’s detached from reality. 

A calmer, more thought through response is what you will find on OSIB and those type of fans aren’t necessarily the minority but they are drowned out on forums and social media.  

You make a very good point but that doesn’t mean the vocal negative responses are wrong or even a monitory, they are just different.

For myself and everyone I know they would be in the underwhelmed/disappointed/angry camp, not the supportive of the club stance. 

Each and every opinion is valid of course. 

1 minute ago, One Team said:

You make a very good point but that doesn’t mean the vocal negative responses are wrong or even a monitory, they are just different.

For myself and everyone I know they would be in the underwhelmed/disappointed/angry camp, not the supportive of the club stance. 

Each and every opinion is valid of course. 

Agreed. All opinions.  I don’t necessarily listen because I agree with the views. More the calm tone, humour and lack of shouting/rage.  This weeks is certainly one I have agreed with most though.  Pretty much every point they made and it was a nice change from this forum. Was starting to think that me, my brother and a few my mates were representing a huge minority viewpoint that this might well be a good move for the club.  

Archived