IGNORED

Stonehaven rail accident

phantom

• Admin

Sadly now confirmed at least one person has lost their life and possibly a second

An HST train (2 engines and 4 carriages) has derailed and reported that one engine and one carriage has slid down an embankment before the engine caught fire.

Reported that the driver reached a landslide so went to drive the train back in the direction they had come from before, before crossing back over to the correct line before the accident happened

Confirmed as only 6 staff and 6 passengers as being on the service

I'm not sure if these pictures are appropriate, but are set to be released to the press association shortly. So they will be online anyway

A major incident has been declared

20200812_145523.jpg

20200812_145519.jpg

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Looks pretty un-survivable in some carriages.

A case of Covid saving many lives I would say.

Only six passengers on board, very lucky in that sense but still very tragic. The overhead pic is grim when you see where the lead power car ended up 

• Admin
23 minutes ago, TomF said:

Only six passengers on board, very lucky in that sense but still very tragic. The overhead pic is grim when you see where the lead power car ended up 

It looks like the lead power car ended up 180° from its original orientation.  It must take some force to spin a 70T vehicle 180°.  Line speed is apparently 75mph and these 2+4 HST’s are quite fast off the mark.

33 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It looks like the lead power car ended up 180° from its original orientation.  It must take some force to spin a 70T vehicle 180°.  Line speed is apparently 75mph and these 2+4 HST’s are quite fast off the mark.

Yep feel a bit bad speculating but everyone who i know works in industry thinks it was going fair fast. 

• Admin
46 minutes ago, TomF said:

Yep feel a bit bad speculating but everyone who i know works in industry thinks it was going fair fast. 

I’d like a look at the OTDR....  I was following it on the Control Log this morning, but there is never speculation on there, just factual recording of events as they unfold.

Archived