IGNORED

Right, I’m going to be wildly optimistic

Silvio Dante

Suppose this isn’t city and you’ve not just seen the debacle of the last five weeks and I came to you with the following team in a 3-5-2 formation:

GK: A player with significant experience at this level, good distribution. Can lose confidence but was considered POTY at a playoff chasing side for the first half of the season. Backed up by an academy prospect who’s performed excellently at the level below.

RB: Good going forward and tenacious, but probably not top 10 quality. Comfortable championship player. Backup unproven but has good experience at the level below.

LB: England U21 international. POTY in league 1 at age 19, comfortable at this level and likely top six player. Backed up by experienced head

CB x3: 1 x £8m player with experience of 3 promotions from this level, 1 x highly rated ballplaying CB who has captained England at youth levels. 1 x no nonsense defender with 70+ prem games and good championship experience. More than adept at this level. Questions over depth.

CM x 3: Perm from:

- Current first choice Wales CM, POTY at L1 club last year

- Current first choice Hungary midfielder. Regarded as countries best player and now fully fit after season of adapting

- Highly rated 18 year old CM who played in CL at 17

- POTY in league one nicknamed Messi by teammates last year

- Mercurial ball player who has lost way recently but been promoted from this level. Only 23 still and with bags of talent

- Cultured, slightly lightweight player who scored multiple goals of high quality in the restart

- ROI international - more rated at that level than league

Backed up by player who had good L1 loan spell but lacks experience at this level and promising youngster who had good L2 loan spell

CF - A 20 goal a season player, renowned as one of the best finishers at this level. Partnered by a hard working second striker who generally hits 8-10 but suffers from being out of position. Backed up by promising youngster who had Loan in L1 and experienced workhorse.

If I looked at that, and it wasn’t us, I’d see a side where you can quite easily argue top 6 - it’s got an experienced and decent quality GK, a good back line (god knows what happened last year), some real potential and ball players in CM and a top quality striker. That’s with the expected two departures.

So, if we get in some players in what look to be the areas we look to be short (CF, RB, CB cover) - is there any reason we shouldn’t be optimistic??

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

So, if we get in some players in what look to be the areas we look to be short (CF, RB, CB cover) - is there any reason we shouldn’t be optimistic??

You can have the best golf clubs on the course, but if you don't know how to use them you still wont hit par.

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

You can have the best golf clubs on the course, but if you don't know how to use them you still wont hit par.

I don’t disagree with that, and it kind of illustrates that LJ maybe didn’t get the best out of the squad - common theme of him worrying more about the opposition than us and overthinking things.

I actually think that getting rid of NE solves a real problem - he just doesn’t fit into what is our best formation with the rest of the squad considered and LJ sometimes shoehorned him in at the detriment of the whole 

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I don’t disagree with that, and it kind of illustrates that LJ maybe didn’t get the best out of the squad - common theme of him worrying more about the opposition than us and overthinking things.

I actually think that getting rid of NE solves a real problem - he just doesn’t fit into what is our best formation with the rest of the squad considered and LJ sometimes shoehorned him in at the detriment of the whole 

Understatement if I've ever seen one - you are being very kind to LJ there.

And I agree that he was more concerned with the opposition than his own team. I think Holden alluded to that in his interviews by saying he'll set the team up to win a game not to avoid losing. Maybe after a few defeats he'll have that knocked out of him..

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I don't think there is any maybe in there.

We have to decide if we want to play with orthodox wingers, in which case Eliasson is fine and we just need a balancing partner for the other flank, or we want a different formation.  Holden will have his preferences. You're right to say we haven't made the most of NE's strengths.

Excellent post

Massive contrast to the depression we've hearing the last few days.

I do really think we need to upgrade on Hunt though and I'm not sold on Vyner especially as wingback.

Also need to replace Fam if speculation is correct. Elliason will be a loss but actually might help the team losing him to commit to the new formation without the contemplation of changing it to fit him in.

Need more depth in certain areas but I'm excited what these players can do and the other youngsters coming through that we've not seen yet.

It was mentioned many times during match threads that we have a great squad on paper and that LJ was over complicating things and players were being stifled out of playing their natural game. Many times some were played out of position and seemed confused on what LJ was asking if them.

Maybe Deano is the answer after all in that he does seem to come across as a more down to earth man manager and won't be waffling on about grass length, box entries and the like. I suspect that many players like to be told to go out and "play their game"

I for one have put the disappointment of not getting CH behind me and am now looking forward to the next season and will be fully behind DH and the squad.

COYR!

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

I think we may need a couple of additions. 

If those 2 players are better than what we have, or fit the system better than what we have, the whole side becomes stronger.  We have depth, what we need is “upgrades”.

Just now, Kibs said:

Yes I agree, but I don’t think we need much.

I suppose it depends upon who leaves. Upgrades may be difficult but although we are likely to be badly affected by covid, we will still be a lot stronger than many clubs out there. Lets hope we can find a couple of bargain upgrades. I feel we need some height in the team, especially if Fam departs.

Great being wildly optimistic, but realism, the first corner against us.......which one of Dasilva,Hunt, Hano, Nagy, Morrell,  Walsh, CoD or Pato is going to pick up anyone in the opposition with the remotest heading ability?  

Suspect that Palmer and Weimann would struggle against anyone who was competent. 

Individuals may/may not be adequate, collectively we’re an unbalanced shambles.

My optimism is that hopefully there is 3 teams worse or massive points deductions for our opponents. 

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Great being wildly optimistic, but realism, the first corner against us.......which one of Dasilva,Hunt, Hano, Nagy, Morrell,  Walsh, CoD or Pato is going to pick up anyone in the opposition with the remotest heading ability?  

Suspect that Palmer and Weimann would struggle against anyone who was competent. 

My optimism is that hopefully there is 3 teams worse or massive points deductions for our opponents. 

I’m more in agreement with you than the others being so optimistic.

Not sure we will be in bottom 3 though. Not because I have confidence in the 3 musketeers but because if it does get to a relegation battle then the coaching team will be relieved of their duties.

Then the whole circus starts all over again. 

I really hope that this pans out to be a success. There it is again ‘hope’ but that is all it is nothing tangible just hope.

7 minutes ago, RedRock said:

To play devils advocate...

At Wembley in 2011 when Barca took apart Man Utd, I bet there were Barca fans saying...the first corner against us...which one of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Alves, Mascherano, Villa and Pedro is going to pick up any of the opposition with the remotest heading ability?

(Tbf Barca didn’t concede any corners in the end, but it illustrates that you can set out a side with the risk of having an Achilles heel if you’re confident in the way you’re going to play)

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To play devils advocate...

At Wembley in 2011 when Barca took apart Man Utd, I bet there were Barca fans saying...the first corner against us...which one of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Alves, Mascherano, Villa and Pedro is going to pick up any of the opposition with the remotest heading ability?

(Tbf Barca didn’t concede any corners in the end, but it illustrates that you can set out a side with the risk of having an Achilles heel if you’re confident in the way you’re going to play)

Same could be said for Leeds this year. One of the smallest teams in the league and won it by a mile! 

After the initial the wtf have they done I’ve come round and feel more rational about the situation.

I turned 50 over the weekend and literally saw city every week from the 1st div down to the 4th .Believe me this is not a crisis!!!

I just hope that DH is as fully backed as he can be (covid )and as  much as Golden boy was.

The squad is decent imo and also DH seemed to get more from Nahki as well.If only there was another Gerry Gow or Bobby Hutch out there then should be the priority.Im looking forward to seeing Walsh and Morrell.

For me as well right back could be an area we need to look at.

Also the Fam issue.This season has been his best by far.He finally looks like a championship bustling striker that I thought we had bought 3 yrs ago.He also looks as if he could form a partnership with Nahki as we look as if we will be playing 3-5-2.

Keep the faith fellow reds because back in 1982 we really were in trouble!

ctid

Good post. I have emerged from my depression after the HC palaver and now see some light. When you look at it like that why can we not have a good season. Not wanting to hijack the thread re Fam, but if he goes and we add a quality addition,replacement, there is no reason not to see an improvement on last season.

I think we need a top class Defensive Central Midfielder.

Need to buy another striker to play up with Wells, Unless Diedhiou isn’t sold, also need one on loan so we can rotate with the three. Weimann could be the fourth as back up.

We will need a right wing back either on a perm or loan to rotate with Hunt.

looks like we will be playing with three Centre Backs so will need another one in to rotate between the five.

I would cash in on Eliasson as I don’t think he will fit in with the new system and we have enough attacking Centre Mids at the moment.

• Admin

I’m hopeful the football on offer will be more entertaining, it would be easier to stomach mid-table if I’d been entertained along the way.

I only have a couple of queries about Holden and his previous position, did LJ counter every suggestion he made, if so, why would you stay under a boss that never took on board any of your ideas and if he never actually challenged LJ, what was he doing day in, day out.  I assume DH answered those sort of questions at interview?

I wa never ranting about the process or the time, but I do think SL making the comment about a new face and moving forward, should have been left unsaid.

I can do nothing but wish DH and his staff, all the best, as if he is successful, that brings me joy and as I said, I can even take being a middle of the road (for a year or so) as long as there is some bloody excitement brought back.

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Suppose this isn’t city and you’ve not just seen the debacle of the last five weeks and I came to you with the following team in a 3-5-2 formation:

GK: A player with significant experience at this level, good distribution. Can lose confidence but was considered POTY at a playoff chasing side for the first half of the season. Backed up by an academy prospect who’s performed excellently at the level below.

RB: Good going forward and tenacious, but probably not top 10 quality. Comfortable championship player. Backup unproven but has good experience at the level below.

LB: England U21 international. POTY in league 1 at age 19, comfortable at this level and likely top six player. Backed up by experienced head

CB x3: 1 x £8m player with experience of 3 promotions from this level, 1 x highly rated ballplaying CB who has captained England at youth levels. 1 x no nonsense defender with 70+ prem games and good championship experience. More than adept at this level. Questions over depth.

CM x 3: Perm from:

- Current first choice Wales CM, POTY at L1 club last year

- Current first choice Hungary midfielder. Regarded as countries best player and now fully fit after season of adapting

- Highly rated 18 year old CM who played in CL at 17

- POTY in league one nicknamed Messi by teammates last year

- Mercurial ball player who has lost way recently but been promoted from this level. Only 23 still and with bags of talent

- Cultured, slightly lightweight player who scored multiple goals of high quality in the restart

- ROI international - more rated at that level than league

Backed up by player who had good L1 loan spell but lacks experience at this level and promising youngster who had good L2 loan spell

CF - A 20 goal a season player, renowned as one of the best finishers at this level. Partnered by a hard working second striker who generally hits 8-10 but suffers from being out of position. Backed up by promising youngster who had Loan in L1 and experienced workhorse.

If I looked at that, and it wasn’t us, I’d see a side where you can quite easily argue top 6 - it’s got an experienced and decent quality GK, a good back line (god knows what happened last year), some real potential and ball players in CM and a top quality striker. That’s with the expected two departures.

Optimism!, on here? ? 

Archived