IGNORED

First signing

Show Me The Money!

Lots of complaints on here that we never give our youngsters a chance. That may change with the new coaches appointments. I dont think we will do much incoming business. This year will be about financial and football survival. Buckle up boys and girls. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It certainly would but Ashton isn’t remotely interested in us fans - we’re a revenue source to him and nothing more.

I doubt the clubs PR skills will improve whilst he’s CEO.

Quite. I'd assumed that a happy fanbase is more likely to spend money, be it on season cards, Robin's TV or merch, than disgruntled fans? 

11 minutes ago, mozo said:

Quite. I'd assumed that a happy fanbase is more likely to spend money, be it on season cards, Robin's TV or merch, than disgruntled fans? 

Indeed but Ashton gives the impression that we fans rarely, if ever cross his mind. 

I think most transfers will be late. It’ll take a month or so for players to realise that their salary expectations aren’t going to be met. The top top players will always get the money but I think your championship type player is going to find it hard to make a move purely for a financial windfall.

Clubs will want 3-4 year deals but players may be happier with 2 years and hope the landscape is better for them then. Lots of tough negotiations to be had. 

Quality loans could be the difference this season, in which case we hope our two new assistants prove to be our best signings.  

The day Ashton (or anybody else) starts buying players in order to give fans a warm feeling inside, is the day I really would want them sacked.

Do people really think players should be bought just to create excitement? Next thing you know, people will be calling for lazy unfit JET to come back. Oh, hang on ...

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

The day Ashton (or anybody else) starts buying players in order to give fans a warm feeling inside, is the day I really would want them sacked.

Do people really think players should be bought just to create excitement? Next thing you know, people will be calling for lazy unfit JET to come back. Oh, hang on ...

It's not about buying players to please the fans but it's the exciting players that puts bums on seats. That's part of Ashtons job, filling the stadium when covid permits. 

6 minutes ago, marmite said:

It's not about buying players to please the fans but it's the exciting players that puts bums on seats. That's part of Ashtons job, filling the stadium when covid permits. 

So, you seem to be contradicting yourself. It’s not about buying players to attract fans, but then again it is?

I would argue it’s about buying players who can be made part of an exciting team, not buying glamorous individuals.

10 minutes ago, Leveller said:

So, you seem to be contradicting yourself. It’s not about buying players to attract fans, but then again it is?

I would argue it’s about buying players who can be made part of an exciting team, not buying glamorous individuals.

What I'm saying is we shouldn't buy players just because the fans are screaming for a certain player but we need players who entertain the fans although they obviously have to fit the team structure. It's about the right blend. There was little excitement watching LJs sides last season.

12 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

I can see it now, Jackson Irvine in on a free with that new kit on display. One can hope. 

I could see that and personally I don’t think it would be as bad a signing as many think.  Mentioned in transfer sub forum and I did some charts for him too.

6 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Id sign that barry bannan from wednesday.

Does the simple things well.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

6 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

it will be intersting  to see what quality of player Dean will be able to attract.  Barry Bannan would be great. he wont be cheap. not sure how much dean will have to spend. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Bannan is very creative and can and frequently does boss the midfield. He must be in early 30s by now so very experienced and I agree he’d be an asset to City but so he would be to the majority of Championship teams and if he ever became available there’d be plenty of club after his signature.

Good old Barry Bannan (30).

I’m gonna give you cynical view.  It maybe miles off the mark, feel free to say so.

Lee Johnson’s favourite midfielder.  I think it is a bit of ego, a short midfielder, who Lee thinks (or would like us to think) he was like, but in reality Bannan is much better.  It’s Lee’s guilty pleasure.

To reaffirm Lee’s view, and give added credence to the “little midfielder” being a fantastic player, Lee never set up any system to stop him running a game against us....and he generally did run the games against us.  Therefore he must be top class.  And Lee can trot out excuses like “see, that’s what a player like Bannan on his wages can do”.

So if he’s that good (he is good, don’t get me wrong, he just ain’t as good as every game versus us), why doesn’t he run games against everyone else?  And I’ve watched him enough times to see him have quiet games.  Because they (other teams) don’t allow him, and he isn’t quite good enough to counter that.

Back to reality rather than my cynical view....

....Bannan would improve our midfield, but for £x million and £25-30k per week wages, I don’t think you’d get anywhere near the uplift / value you think you would.

Rule1.

Never buy a player just because they play well against you.

Rule2.

Never buy a player the manager thinks is a mirror image of him (same as in business, recruit people to improve you, not because they remind you of you)...unless you are a top player yourself!!

So that’s it. ???

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m gonna give you cynical view.  It maybe miles off the mark, feel free to say so.

Lee Johnson’s favourite midfielder.  I think it is a bit of ego, a short midfielder, who Lee thinks (or would like us to think) he was like, but in reality Bannan is much better.  It’s Lee’s guilty pleasure.

To reaffirm Lee’s view, and give added credence to the “little midfielder” being a fantastic player, Lee never set up any system to stop him running a game against us....and he generally did run the games against us.  Therefore he must be top class.  And Lee can trot out excuses like “see, that’s what a player like Bannan on his wages can do”.

So if he’s that good (he is good, don’t get me wrong, he just ain’t as good as every game versus us), why doesn’t he run games against everyone else?  And I’ve watched him enough times to see him have quiet games.  Because they (other teams) don’t allow him, and he isn’t quite good enough to counter that.

....Bannan would improve our midfield, but for £x million and £25-30k per week wages, I don’t think you’d get anywhere near the uplift / value you think you would.

Rule1.

Rule2.

Never buy a player the manager thinks is a mirror image of him (same as in business, recruit people to improve you, not because they remind you of you)...unless you are a top player yourself!!

So that’s it. ???

I hadn’t considered LJ ‘phantasy’ of seeing himself in same leaguevas Bannan.....but clearly GJ did..............:cool2:

LJs admiration of BB is well deserved imo. He’s one of the best creative midfielders in the Championship and every time he played against us he was best player on the pitch each time. It wasn’t just us that he played well against - every time the Owls were live on Sky he was just as impressive against whoever the opposition were.

I appreciate that guys like Bannan don’t come cheap either in fees or wages but personally I’d love to see him In a City shirt - but that’s my phantasy.......

On 13/08/2020 at 15:18, Robbored said:

I hadn’t considered LJ ‘phantasy’ of seeing himself in same leaguevas Bannan.....but clearly GJ did..............:cool2:

LJs admiration of BB is well deserved imo. He’s one of the best creative midfielders in the Championship and every time he played against us he was best player on the pitch each time. It wasn’t just us that he played well against - every time the Owls were live on Sky he was just as impressive against whoever the opposition were.

I appreciate that guys like Bannan don’t come cheap either in fees or wages but personally I’d love to see him In a City shirt - but that’s my phantasy.......

Not getting at you mate - I know you`ve always been a huge fan of Bannan - but I don`t really get the love in for him. I tend to agree with @Davefevs, never buy a player because he plays well against you and he would cost an awful lot for a 30 year old with no resale value.

I am pretty sure the Owls fans that have posted on here have a lower opinion of Bannan and they see him every week. I know fans don’t necessarily appreciate their own players due to familiarity, but I think it’s also telling that Wednesday don’t seem to have to fight very hard to keep him at the club.

On 13/08/2020 at 13:57, Davefevs said:

I could see that and personally I don’t think it would be as bad a signing as many think.  Mentioned in transfer sub forum and I did some charts for him too.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Rule1.

Rule2.

So that’s it. ???

I thought rules 1 and 2 were never talk about fight club?!?!

On 13/08/2020 at 07:50, Bar BS3 said:

If the term "man up" offends you, then I sincerely feel that the problem lies with you, and not me. 

I therefore offer absolutely no apology, or amendment to my post and really do pity you..! 

Have a nice day. If you can..! 

That’s such a shame that in 2020 you feel mental health is a laughing matter and the issue lies with me. 

I had a lovely day thank you. 

BB is a very good championship midfielder . He would certainly provide competition for places in the centre of midfield and would be useful coupled with one of the less experienced guys. It looks like Wednesday could be in some money troubles so he would be a saleable asset . Personally I don’t think we’d go for him due to his age, wages . He would improve us 

25 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

That’s such a shame that in 2020 you feel mental health is a laughing matter and the issue lies with me. 

I had a lovely day thank you. 

I don't believe I mentioned or related my reply to anything mental health related. Whatsoever. 

I believe you are either trying to pick an argument, or are just a bloody idiot. 

Glad you had a good day though..! 

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Never been fully sold on Bannan.

Think a 3, ie a real 3 would get the best out of him but even with that in mind, seen him as a bit overrated personally.

Have to agree with this. 

Always looks like a world beater against us, but if those performances were consistent, surely he'd have progressed higher up the food chain than he has done. 

I'd see this as an expensive gamble. 

On 13/08/2020 at 07:58, Robbored said:

It certainly would but Ashton isn’t remotely interested in us fans - we’re a revenue source to him and nothing more.

I doubt the clubs PR skills will improve whilst he’s CEO.

Interesting comment from someone who relies so religiously on the official club website! 

Archived