IGNORED

Paul Simpson - Coaches Voice and 1st Interview

Davefevs

52 minutes ago, Smokey said:

Thanks. Also thought this was a good read.....

https://www.coachesvoice.com/the-firing-line/

4 things I'm taking from these 2 articles.

1. He does not like clubs appointing assistants if the Head Coach does not want them.

2. He understands that players need to be treated differently to get the best out of them.

3. He will be honest and open if he thinks a player isn't good for the morale of the club

4. He's not likely to take a job where he's not happy with how things are set up.

All of that bodes well for me. 

8 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Is Simpson the England under 20 manager that told Taylor Moore he wasn't good enough and dropped him entirely whilst he was captain? Or was that decision already made before his appointment?

Presumably yes. That will be an interesting reunion. Although the interviews I've read with Taylor Moore seems to be aware he wasn't playing well enough at the time. Did he actually tell him he wasn't good enough of just not select him due to form? If the latter then it's just something players have to deal with. 

14 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I think these two new coaches could be more important than Holden if we are looking at progressing out of this division.

I think the fact we've persuaded them both to quit jobs with the England set-up that they have been in for four or five years to come and assist Holden means the club must have sold their plans fairly ambitiously. Certainly Downing talked about promotion and "making history" in his interview this morning.

I'm still far from convinced that Dean Holden is the right man or that he will deliver us promotion but I am starting to consider the possibility that the board genuinely believe that to be the case. 

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

I think these two new coaches could be more important than Holden if we are looking at progressing out of this division.

Exactly, they do come with a wealth of experience, and will have a say in matters, possibly not so much if the head coach was a big name, the more I see of the set up the more I like. Of course others on here will not agree and just churn out the same old same old. 

I believe.

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the fact we've persuaded them both to quit jobs with the England set-up that they have been in for four or five years to come and assist Holden means the club must have sold their plans fairly ambitiously. Certainly Downing talked about promotion and "making history" in his interview this morning.

I'm still far from convinced that Dean Holden is the right man or that he will deliver us promotion but I am starting to consider the possibility that the board genuinely believe that to be the case. 

Or there's no point hanging around the England set up when internationals could be few and far between over the next year or two depending on Covid 

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Didn't someone on here say the FA are looking to make a lot of coaches redundant due to Covid? If there are no crowds at England games their income will presumably take a significant hit. So maybe they were worried about job security. 

6 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I thought this too. Not many players were improved much under the previous set up. There were always remarks about any talent being coached out of them or being over-coached. Will be interesting to see how the players progress over the season

7 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Who do we think identified these two? Presumably Holden wanted to work with them. I'd be very impressed if Holden's pitch was as thorough as picking these 2 specifically, and then that pitch was put to them like you say convinced them to leave their England jobs

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Who do we think identified these two? Presumably Holden wanted to work with them. I'd be very impressed if Holden's pitch was as thorough as picking these 2 specifically, and then that pitch was put to them like you say convinced them to leave their England jobs

Seems to be Midlands connection and a West brom connection, I would move towards a Ashton decision on these two.

12 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Simpson managed Holden at Shrewsbury.

14 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

7 minutes ago, Street red said:

Seems to be Midlands connection and a West brom connection, I would move towards a Ashton decision on these two.

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Simpson managed Holden at Shrewsbury.

In my heart of hearts, I want to hear Holden say something along the lines that he asked Paul Simpson as he’d been his manager at Shrewsbury, and between them they thought Downing would be a good addition.

But there’s a part of me that says it was nothing like that ?

Even if MA did play a leading role in it....if LJ had gone out this summer and attracted these two, I reckon a lot of fans would see it as a coup.

• The title was changed to Paul Simpson - Coaches Voice and 1st Interview

Archived