IGNORED

OTIB dictionary

Dave L

Those new to this forum may have looked on with some confusion over recent weeks, and as a long term user myself, I thought it might be useful to clarify the meaning of some of the often repeated phrases on here, particularly in recent weeks.

The cheap option:  £30m annual wage bill, and a total investment of £123m.

Yes man: Someone who can work as part of a team to a mutually agreed plan.

Puppet: See ‘yes man’.

Football man: Someone who has worked in football for their entire working life in a variety of capacities, both as player and administrator, is hugely respected within the football world and knows the game inside out.

Smarmy bastard / sleazeball: Someone who has worked in football for their entire working life in a variety of capacities, both as player and administrator, is hugely respected within the football world and knows the game inside out, but has a tendency to speak in a ‘corporate’ way, which obviously negates the previous points.

Another PR disaster for the club: a decision with which I disagree.

Cone putter-outer: Someone who has worked in football for their entire life in a variety of capacities, both as player and coach, is hugely respected within the football world, knows the game inside out.

I’m done with this club: I was drunk when I wrote this, and will be back next season.

Pal/mate/buddy/fellah: I loathe you with all my being.

A disgusting decision: a decision that may not have been taken yet, and could well be a made-up rumour, but if ever it does turn out to be true, I will be disgusted by it. If it doesn’t, I will still be disgusted anyway, because the whole situation is disgusting.

A joke: not remotely funny.

Speculate to accumulate / spend big: commit millions of pounds against the background of a huge loss in annual income, a looming recession and a global financial crisis.

Rookie appointment: a risk.

Bring in a named manager: a risk.

Destined for relegation: Here are next week’s winning Lottery numbers.

ITK: my man crush.

A known fact: a rumour that has been repeated often enough that it must be true, even without any evidence whatsoever to suggest that it is.

According to Twitter: Twitter is the oracle. The source of all truth in the world.

Somebody on Facebook: A drunken conspiracy theorist.

The fans are all against this: I am against this.

It’s a forum: how dare you disagree with me.

Happy clapper: See ‘It’s a forum’.

Good luck to Deano and the team. Next season will be interesting for sure! COYR

5 minutes ago, Dave L said:

Those new to this forum may have looked on with some confusion over recent weeks, and as a long term user myself, I thought it might be useful to clarify the meaning of some of the often repeated phrases on here, particularly in recent weeks.

Football man: Someone who has worked in football for their entire working life in a variety of capacities, both as player and administrator, is hugely respected within the football world and knows the game inside out.

Smarmy bastard / sleazeball: Someone who has worked in football for their entire working life in a variety of capacities, both as player and administrator, is hugely respected within the football world and knows the game inside out, but has a tendency to speak in a ‘corporate’ way, which obviously negates the previous points.

Cone putter-outer: Someone who has worked in football for their entire life in a variety of capacities, both as player and coach, is hugely respected within the football world, knows the game inside out.

I’m done with this club: I was drunk when I wrote this, and will be back next season.

A disgusting decision: a decision that may not have been taken yet, and could well be a made-up rumour, but if ever it does turn out to be true, I will be disgusted by it. If it doesn’t, I will still be disgusted anyway, because the whole situation is disgusting.

Speculate to accumulate / spend big: commit millions of pounds against the background of a huge loss in annual income, a looming recession and a global financial crisis.

A known fact: a rumour that has been repeated often enough that it must be true, even without any evidence whatsoever to suggest that it is.

According to Twitter: Twitter is the oracle. The source of all truth in the world.

Shame you aren't still at the club dave, at least we would of got some coms over the last 5 weeks if you were

Seems to me that DL might be suggesting that some of the postings and posters on OTIB require interpretation.

Well not for me , every word i read has obviously been thoroughly researched ,each sentence beautifully crafted and the arguments cogently presented.

OTIB is the beating heart of Bristol City and should remain essential reading for the management team if they wish to further their footballing knowledge. 

The definition of ‘yes man’ and ‘puppet’ is not  the fans real meaning...........

To me and I daresay others, it’s a derogatory term to indicate that the person agrees with whatever their boss says in an attempt to ingratiate themselves further..........and lack any original  or innovative thought because that might rock the boat............:cool2:

37 minutes ago, Dave L said:

A couple you missed Dave.

Heart and soul of the club: A player who has always been popular with the person and should have a job for life.

One of the Old Boys Club: A player who has never been popular with the person and clearly is only here because he can't get a job anywhere else

‘Shambles’ ... to leave a Club after 4years with no fit-for-purpose midfield

‘No Chemistry’ ... to create a team with the absence of any partnerships

’Leeds’ ... to invest in an experienced, successful coach and be promoted as Champions

‘Bristol City’ ... to once appoint from within and fail, twice and fail, and then do the same for a third time and expect a different outcome

‘Cotts’ ... to build a small, tight-knit squad of quality players and win things

Up the City! ‘Always believe’ ... blind faith

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The definition of ‘yes man’ and ‘puppet’ is not  the fans real meaning...........

To me and I daresay others, it’s a derogatory term to indicate that the person agrees with whatever their boss says in an attempt to ingratiate themselves further..........and lack any original  or innovative thought because that might rock the boat............:cool2:

Whoosh - see previous post

i take it your not a big fan of of irony.

Irony the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

"Billionaire" - someone that cannot be questioned, or doubted. If you don't have a billion, you cannot question a bloke that does - because he has a billion, and you don't. The fact that the bloke with a billion made his billion from finance, and not from football, is irrelevant. He is a billionaire, and you are not, ergo, he knows more about football (Johnny-come-lately to football or not).

Think you know more about setting a team up at Barnsley or who the next great head coach might be amongst hundreds out there than Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett? Think again! They're billionaires, and you are not, and they will know about this. And you will not.

Our billionaire runs many successful businesses and  provides the profit from them to those he employs at the club to get the results he - and all of us, dream of.

He doesn’t need to have a football brain, only a business brain to provide the funds. 

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Deluded was the in term to use a couple of years ago. Don't see it so much these days. 

Brilliant! Should be pinned to the top of the forum. :city:

Largely replaced by the currently preferred term, which can be read repeatedly on OTIB on any given day until you either scream or your eyes bleed, or both. I give you: "Clueless". 

The term is used to describe someone who has spent their entire working life in football, has forgotten more than the poster will ever know about the game, is well respected by his fellow professionals, but has the infuriating habit of doing things the poster either can't understand or doesn't like.

2 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Largely replaced by the currently preferred term, which can be read repeatedly on OTIB on any given day until you either scream or your eyes bleed, or both. I give you: "Clueless". 

The term is used to describe someone who has spent their entire working life in football, has forgotten more than the poster will ever know about the game, is well respected by his fellow professionals, but has the infuriating habit of doing things the poster either can't understand or doesn't like.

And I should have added: the term is almost invariably used, with an unintended irony that the poster wouldn't be capable of grasping, by people who themselves haven't got a bloody clue.

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

"Billionaire" - someone that cannot be questioned, or doubted. If you don't have a billion, you cannot question a bloke that does - because he has a billion, and you don't. The fact that the bloke with a billion made his billion from finance, and not from football, is irrelevant. He is a billionaire, and you are not, ergo, he knows more about football (Johnny-come-lately to football or not).

Think you know more about setting a team up at Barnsley or who the next great head coach might be amongst hundreds out there than Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett? Think again! They're billionaires, and you are not, and they will know about this. And you will not.

There are people who have made a billion from football? Wow, definitely need to get one of those guys in. What names are you thinking of?

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

‘‘Cotts’ ... to build a small, tight-knit squad of quality players and win things

Cotts - Lower League Manager - who can win things in league one and then struggles at the championship level

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I absolutely agree with you 110% on this interpretation.  ?

5 hours ago, Dave L said:

Brilliant.

I wish I was as good as you @Dave L

Archived