IGNORED

Semenyo

ChubStixx

What are we expecting from Semenyo this season? Another L1 loan, or is he in first team contention?

Looks to have developed physically since I last saw him play. A couple of inches taller and seems to have bulked up a bit.

Hopefully these new coaches can help him realise his potential. 

Semenyo is an interesting one. He's impressed without ever reaching the goalscoring form we'd hope and he has shown some moments where you see why Chelsea wanted him. I think a league one loan for a full season would be best for him not recall him halfway through the season like Newport. 

7 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

I would be interested to know from those who are knowledgeable about our younger players as to who they think might be in contention for first team appearences. 

As for the answer to this in terms of the younger players with the exception of Walsh and Morrell who will most likely feature. Jonny Smith may get some time if Eliasson leaves. 

Bakinson may be close to the first team as well. Vince Harper and Soady may be training with the first team as well both should get national league loans if possible. 

Does make you wonder who made the call to get him back from newport ?,I think he was brought back to early and I know the premier league interest was knowledgeable at the time,He was on form as well.. Kids got talent we just need to find a way of getting that out of him consistently.( Like most of our players)

4 minutes ago, !james said:

He needs a full season of playing over 40 games whether that's league one or two. Similar to what Walsh and Morell did last year.  

Half a season at Newport and 7 appearances at Sunderland doesn't quite cut it. 

Only scored 3 league 2 goals in his career, nothing to suggest so far he is better than that.

I think the Chelsea interest had a big impact on him and perhaps his attitude, though LJ always denied this.

Hopefully last season, which should have been pretty disappointing for him, will have acted as abit of a reality check and he knuckles down. 

Ability wise, he clearly has talent. 

I think he needs to get back to basics, and rebuild his career a bit; if i'm honest.

He was doing alright at Newport, not great; but reasonably well. We recalled him; and hoped that he would progress seamlessly into our 1st team set up. It obviously has back-fired.

There is a player in there. But whether we expected too much, too soon; i'm not sure.

Watching from the Dolman; he looked hopelessly out of his depth. Neither reading the plays, or linking up with the other players. He looked like the proverbial rabbit in the headlights.

When he was finally dropped, and taken out of the firing line; i was glad for him; you could tell his confidence was shot.

Fast forward to the loan to Sunderland, a chance to impress; and put some of those demons to bed. It didn't happen; and as Graham said his cv now states he has a career total of 3 L2 goals to his name.

It's not too late for him. It may click; in the way he did for Bobby Reid. I would have been happy to take 250k for BR at some stages. But Semenyeo needs to prove that the confidence bestowed on him with that long contract, wasn't misplaced.

A season loan at a decent L2 club, will give him the opportunity to build some form of solid foundation; that hopefully he can use to propel his career forward again.

Still a very young player people forget, and only a year older than Massengo, who also frequently looked off the pace last year. 

He needs another loan where he will play. Recalling him from Newport was one of the worst things for his progression at the time.

He is still incredibly young and raw, if we get rid of him we will regret it. Some of the nonsense that is on here about a 20 year old is embarrassing. How they can be deemed to be not good enough at 20 is ludicrous. Not ready perhaps, but there is certainly a quality player there in the future. 

In response to the OP, I don’t think physicality was ever his issue. Players seemed to bounce off him in that Preston away match where he burst on the screen. Developing a footballing intelligence and a strikers instinct was perhaps more relevant.

Behind Wells, Fammy, Weimann, Szmodics, Watkins for me. 

As others has said he needs a full season in league one to develop and build upon. 

He has the raw attributes, he just needs to improve on the mental aspect as has looked lost, and also confidence. 

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Did recalling him from Newport when we did help or hinder his development?

I always feel that a consistent loan spell- ideally a season- helps on this front. Probably should be looking at moving him on loan to a good League One club IMO.

Who was responsible for recalling him from Newport?

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Based on what we have seen he is nowhere near good enough at the moment. League 1 season loan.

Bear in mind he is now being coached by Simpson and Downing every day, well versed in improving younger players. They might see something in there and be able to bring it out sooner than you might think.

52 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Had enough chances? Started about 2 games.

Been sent out on loan to progress and experience but hasn’t grabbed the chance in the same way Smith, Morrell, Walsh have. Has had chances, has started games and hasn’t looked like kicking on. 

6 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

There will be 1000 different responses claiming it was SL/JL/LJ/MA/Maggie/The Shed Man/The Broom on The Dolman, but we will never know.

All we do know is that it was utterly bizarre given that he went from playing for Mike Flynn week in, week out to sitting on his arse collecting splinters week in, week out. I do believe for a second that LJ recommended that, I would suggest it APPEARS to be textbook interference from a non-footballing "expert", but as you say we will never know the final answer. Those 15-20 games he missed sent his career temporarily backwards.

He really should be on a par with Walsh, Morrell and O'Leary in the experience stakes by now......we have to hope that Downing and Simpson can get him up and running without a further loan required for him to "catch up".

Archived