IGNORED

Semenyo

ChubStixx

Will need another loan spell where he’s guaranteed games, weather that be at L1/2 and/or SPL.

His 8 game spell at Sunderland last season only started in one game with the other 7 coming off the bench yielding zero goals. Needs to build himself back up & earn his stripes. Only 20 so plenty of time on his side.

I have watched Ant closely since his Filton days, good kid, good attitude just needs to play games. 

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

Gone to Torquay.

Suspect it was SL who brought Semenyo back. Trying to justify the expenditure on The Academy and his belief in the player development and overall Club strategy. 

Pretty clear to me LJ wasn’t keen at all in bringing him back or playing him. He was proven correct. 

I still think we have our player development strategy all wrong. This has left us with the mess we’re in now. Are Walsh, Morrell, Taylor Moore,  Vyner, O’Leary, Smith, Bakinson good enough for a Championship side pushing for promotion? No idea really. Can they play together? No idea. Aren’t we also now in the final year of Walsh’s contract? Odd we still don’t know whether he’s good enough given he’s likely to be off in 12 months.

Think we need to explore Brentford’s Under-23 approach. Rather than a bunch of individuals who look like they just met before the matches start, Brentford play like a team and appear to seamlessly slot new/development players in.

I couldn’t remember who brought it back, but now you mention it, I think it was SL!!

Re Brentford, I heard someone say they they buy in all there players because they don’t have an academy.  Yeah, that’s true, but their B team is a proxy for an u23s, they just don’t want to play the academy circuit which is really mixed.  Some sides are strong, clubs like us are playing lower age group players.

I’d like to see what difference we’d see if we ran our u23s like a old school reserves.  Build them to play 352, same patterns as first team, ready to slot in when required.  Theoretical I know but.....⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

(In theory) Do we not have the perfect coaches to develop him  ?

I probably am in a minority but when i've seen him I've seen some raw talent but a naivety (Unsurprising considering his background) about the 11 v 11 game and needs a lot of work , and to listen and learn on training ground

....I’m frustrated we allow the next generation of first team players (Walsh, Morrell, etc) to spend the season before breakthrough in the hands of other club’s coaching teams.

Now we have Simpson and Downing in the coaching set up, who better to help that continuity into the first team.

I get the need to get some men’s football experience at 18-21(ish) but beyond that age range I’m not so sure.

Struggled to get in the side at Sunderland and doesn't seem that strong mentally when I've seen him play, but I remember Paul Cheesley was a bit like that at first and then suddenly everything clicked and he was a different player altogether. Needs another loan where he gets more games, but if Diedhiou goes and we don't sign a replacement he's liable to be bench-warming.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I couldn’t remember who brought it back, but now you mention it, I think it was SL!!

Re Brentford, I heard someone say they they buy in all there players because they don’t have an academy.  Yeah, that’s true, but their B team is a proxy for an u23s, they just don’t want to play the academy circuit which is really mixed.  Some sides are strong, clubs like us are playing lower age group players.

I’d like to see what difference we’d see if we ran our u23s like a old school reserves.  Build them to play 352, same patterns as first team, ready to slot in when required.  Theoretical I know but.....⬇️⬇️⬇️

....I’m frustrated we allow the next generation of first team players (Walsh, Morrell, etc) to spend the season before breakthrough in the hands of other club’s coaching teams.

Now we have Simpson and Downing in the coaching set up, who better to help that continuity into the first team.

I get the need to get some men’s football experience at 18-21(ish) but beyond that age range I’m not so sure.

I recall Johnson being asked about Semenyo's recall and he said something along the lines of the owner suggested they give him a chance.

I know that he feels his best position is left in a front three. Wonder if the more fluid system we saw vs Boro would suit his style. 

He had a tough time since the Newport recall. Thought he was getting a dream move to Chelsea, great debut at PNE, cost us the goal vs Leeds, cost us the game vs Derby, put upfront 19/20 after Afobe got injured, didn’t score but did okay imo, started away in draws to PNE and Brentford, Rodri gets brought in ahead of him, loaned out to Sunderland where he doesn’t do much either. 

Honestly think there’ll be a few youngsters who’ll be happy to see the back of LJ and he’ll be one of them. 

18 hours ago, Nomad said:

Getting taller at 20? Unlikely, most lads stop growing at 16 or so.

As an apprentice as we all departed the company nurse always liked to measure and weigh us on our last day

I was 5'9 going in as a 16 year old, and 6'2 going out as a 21 year old. I suspect most lads don't stop growing at 16 by a long stretch......

As for AS - I get the feeling he's not as good as everyone thought he was two or three years ago. Hope I'm wrong

16 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I know that he feels his best position is left in a front three. Wonder if the more fluid system we saw vs Boro would suit his style. 

He had a tough time since the Newport recall. Thought he was getting a dream move to Chelsea, great debut at PNE, cost us the goal vs Leeds, cost us the game vs Derby, put upfront 19/20 after Afobe got injured, didn’t score but did okay imo, started away in draws to PNE and Brentford, Rodri gets brought in ahead of him, loaned out to Sunderland where he doesn’t do much either. 

Honestly think there’ll be a few youngsters who’ll be happy to see the back of LJ and he’ll be one of them. 

I'd actually like him to do the Mane role because he's neither a winger nor a striker but something in between, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think he strongly prefers his left foot.

15 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

As an apprentice as we all departed the company nurse always liked to measure and weigh us on our last day

I was 5'9 going in as a 16 year old, and 6'2 going out as a 21 year old. I suspect most lads don't stop growing at 16 by a long stretch......

As for AS - I get the feeling he's not as good as everyone thought he was two or three years ago. Hope I'm wrong

That definitely was a long stretch!

8 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Thank goodness you aren’t in charge of our young players.  Players develop at different rates. He is only 20.  Lots of professional coaches have said how good he is going to be so think best to side with their opinion! 

All a bit Ravel Morrison for me. I’d love to be wrong though.

I always thought Semenyo was the one we should’ve cashed in on when we had a chance. You see it far too many times when a player has a blinder on TV and gets hyped to the hilt and fails to kick on.

He may well come good for us, but I don’t think he’ll ever be a prolific goalscorer at this level and perhaps his best position in wide left in a front three.

Season-long loan to Plymouth or Peterborough would be my choice.

58 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

All a bit Ravel Morrison for me. I’d love to be wrong though.

Interesting. You are comparing him to someone who has had run ins with the police on a number of occasions including for domestic violence.  Coaches have said Morrison is difficult to work with.  

What do you know of Antoine to suggest similar ?

35 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

How come?

20 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Interesting. You are comparing him to someone who has had run ins with the police on a number of occasions including for domestic violence.  Coaches have said Morrison is difficult to work with.  

What do you know of Antoine to suggest similar ?

You’re making that parallel with his personal life not me.

49 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

How is he like Ravel Morrison?

A talented player but unorthodox. Hard for managers to pin down how to best utilise him and therefore can struggle to get in a team regularly. Likely to move clubs regularly as they take a punt on being able to unlock the potential then accept they can’t.

8 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Wasn't he recalled from Newport because he counts as 'home grown' and we only had him and Woolacott who could be in the bench to fill that slot?

No.

At the time we recalled him Lloyd Kelly was regularly in the match day squad & Max O’Leary was, too.

He seemed to have been recalled as Chelsea were sniffing around but when no deal was forthcoming he was part of the squad on occasions.

In the season just ended, the sale of Kelly & loans of O’Leary, Morrell & Wollacott meant we had little choice to include him until we ended Wollacott’s loan at Forest Green.

This whole period did him few favours, as he was often an unused sub & appeared to be in the squad solely down to the homegrown rule.

Very good signs again tonight.

But it was against the league 2 play off winners so likely a bottom league 1 side if not the absolute worst.

There's a fundamental difference in physical ability between top champ players and league 2 players.

All positive on him tonight IMO, just let's see vs good players.

Archived