IGNORED

Bournemouth and Watford appointments- is this part of a new reality

Mr Popodopolous

I like many was disappointed with the Holden appointment but with context, do things change a bit? 

We are now officially in recession. While football has been its own little bubble for at least a generation, since the PL anyway has this now changed? Some ways yes and some ways no.

The market is rather subdued though the season only ended on 22nd July. Window open until early, maybe mid October.

Still it may well be quieter at our level, those in Year One and some cases Year Two of Parachute Payments seem better placed to capitalise than most. In the market and in terms of a new manager. 

Interesting then isn't it, that Bournemouth appointed Tindall when Howe departed. Watford an unknown- and this time he's an actual unknown as opposed to the fairly insular media analysis. Vladimir Ivic, had to look him up.

No Hughton, Jokanovic, Howe- or even Cook for us. Not for them either!

Potentially there is a new Championship reality incoming. We, as in the collective we, at Championship level may need to suck it up for a while.

The recession if deep enough could impact on Sky, ticket money, sponsorship deals to name 3.

A salary cap at championship level will be interesting, if clubs maintain the same or increase income then in theory more money will be available for clubs, wonder how many will invest in their coaching staff with higher wages not counting to the cap rather than transfer fees.

• The title was changed to Bournemouth and Watford appointments- is this part of a new reality
2 minutes ago, One Team said:

Had MA and JL stated the appointment was based on the context of COVID and a recession then it would have some merit. They didn’t though and have tried to veil it as being the best appointment and after SL’s rhetoric it just hasn’t made any sense whatsoever.

Ashton made declarations with respect to a season of austerity. On April 21st or 22nd.

Is it possible both were correct, ie we wanted to appoint X but their demands/wishes didn't fit with the financial reality of the coming season?

There's still scope for us to make some judicious additions BTW.

A point that is definitely worth making. I think the manor in which this appointment was made is what is frustrating for us as supporters. However, some perspective is sometimes needed and you rightly point out the financial squeeze that is likely to be felt by lower league clubs over the next year, at least. 

I think our frustration should now be channeled more towards improving future communication from the club and, hopefully, for them to understand that we live in a digital world so comments made by our owner on national radio and suggestive retweets by his son have real impacts. As for Holden, proof is in the pudding so let's see where we are by Christmas. For now, in Holden we trust!

Watford have made a number of foreign appointments like this before, Sanchez Flores, Mazzarri & Gracia to name but 3.

Bournemouth probably think Tindall is the best continuity candidate for a club that has punched miles above their weight for years.

The other recent Championship appointments, Huddersfield, Boro & Birmingham have all made varied ones, a youth coach, an experienced foreign coach with a Championship promotion on his CV & a veteran in Warnock.

I’m not sure there are any conclusions to draw from this, therefore.

2 minutes ago, pigeon said:

A point that is definitely worth making. I think the manor in which this appointment was made is what is frustrating for us as supporters. However, some perspective is sometimes needed and you rightly point out the financial squeeze that is likely to be felt by lower league clubs over the next year, at least. 

I think our frustration should now be channeled more towards improving future communication from the club and, hopefully, for them to understand that we live in a digital world so comments made by our owner on national radio and suggestive retweets by his son have real impacts. As for Holden, proof is in the pudding so let's see where we are by Christmas. For now, in Holden we trust!

Agree with this. 

I had a real issue with the mixed messaging. Later April was season of Austerity but about 2.5 months on, SL declared what he did on Talksport.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree with this. 

I had a real issue with the mixed messaging. Later April was season of Austerity but about 2.5 months on, SL declared what he did on Talksport.

I think SL goes a bit giddy when on national media!

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Watford have made a number of foreign appointments like this before, Sanchez Flores, Mazzarri & Gracia to name but 3.

Bournemouth probably think Tindall is the best continuity candidate for a club that has punched miles above their weight for years.

The other recent Championship appointments, Huddersfield, Boro & Birmingham have all made varied ones, a youth coach, an experienced foreign coach with a Championship promotion on his CV & a veteran in Warnock.

I’m not sure there are any conclusions to draw from this, therefore.

Those are poor comparisons with respect to Watford I think. 

Sanchez-Flores has won a Europa League and managed Valencia and Atletico in CL. Gracia less clear on. Mazzarri is/was a respected manager in Italy, having steered Napoli to the CL twice. First time in many years, managed Inter albeit not so well..

Just because lazy English journo declare them unknown doesn't make it so.

Bournemouth and possibly Watford were expected to appoint bigger, better. 

Huddersfield manager a unknown quantity, Warnock won't be spending big I'm sure.

Birmingham took their transitional appointment- see Clotet- while still under some level of EFL oversight. They seem to have tidied some FFP issues now.

My feeling was that with austerity measures throughout the Championship, this was a chance for a stable club like ourselves to push the envelope a little and take advantage of the relevant weakness of others (like how Donald Trump built his empire by buying cheap NYC property when the markets crashed - speculate to accumulate).

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ashton made declarations with respect to a season of austerity. On April 21st or 22nd.

Is it possible both were correct, ie we wanted to appoint X but their demands/wishes didn't fit with the financial reality of the coming season?

There's still scope for us to make some judicious additions BTW.

Quite possibly, fair point mate. 

Sanchez Flores arrived at Watford after managing Getafe for just 11 games, prior to that his previous 2 clubs were both in Dubai.

Gracia had managed Rubin Kazan prior to his arrival, fair to say these are not the usual routes into the English game.

Mazzari had been out of work for 18 months after leaving Inter, he also spoke no English & made no attempt to learn whilst here.

Think it isn’t unreasonable to say Watford have trodden a different path.

Respected managers though, well less sure on Gracia. 

Managing and not without a reasonable amount of success some of the bigger clubs respectively for Sanchez-Flores and Mazzarri- in Spain and Italy. If they're unknown then..

This guy they've appointed however, absolutely he is! 

Wait they appointed Sanchez-Flores twice, was that the second time you were referring to? Maybe he was past it by then.

I wonder if we'd taken a straw poll of 100 random Championship fans, in summer 2018, what would have been deemed to be the best appointment. Rowett-Stoke or Bielsa-Leeds?

Now it might just be that I found the world's most optimistic football fans forum, but the fact that the vast majority of them seem to be chuffed with this appointment does not make me think they have gone for a "cheap" option, he has done well at lower levels and well at something like a similar level with PAOK. 

To me this screams more Cook level appointment rather than an unknown bloke that they gave pulled out their arse. 

25 minutes ago, mozo said:

My feeling was that with austerity measures throughout the Championship, this was a chance for a stable club like ourselves to push the envelope a little and take advantage of the relevant weakness of others (like how Donald Trump built his empire by buying cheap NYC property when the markets crashed - speculate to accumulate).

Yeah that's true as well- although Trump didn't have to weigh up FFP (Financially Fair Property) or a cap on wages to or rent receivable from his property empire! :laugh:

Seriously I was thinking similar but it just feels like something has changed.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Managing and not without a reasonable amount of success some of the bigger clubs respectively for Sanchez-Flores and Mazzarri- in Spain and Italy. If they're unknown then..

Wait they appointed Sanchez-Flores twice, was that the second time you were referring to? Maybe he was past it by then.

I wonder if we'd taken a straw poll of 100 random Championship fans, in summer 2018, what would have been deemed to be the best appointment. Rowett-Stoke or Bielsa-Leeds?

Sanchez Flores? It was the 1st time that followed a short spell with Getafe & 2 Dubai teams.

I am often truly baffled how little some on here know about Bielsa, when I pointed out he had coached Argentina, Chile, Marseille, Lazio & Bilbao it was like “who?”. FFS.

15 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Now it might just be that I found the world's most optimistic football fans forum, but the fact that the vast majority of them seem to be chuffed with this appointment does not make me think they have gone for a "cheap" option, he has done well at lower levels and well at something like a similar level with PAOK. 

To me this screams more Cook level appointment rather than an unknown bloke that they gave pulled out their arse. 

Interesting. That seems like they trust their owners and their methods to me.

I wonder how his appointment would've been received here,on this forum? Not well IMO!

He could prove a good appointment but I think this site would've been less than convinced. With some justification too.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

New guy has just won the Israeli league back to back with only one defeat in each season.

I have absolutely no idea how good that league is..

Just now, GrahamC said:

Sanchez Flores? It was the 1st time that followed a short spell with Getafe & 2 Dubai teams.

I am often truly baffled how little some on here know about Bielsa, when I pointed out he had coached Argentina, Chile, Marseille, Lazio & Bilbao it was like “who?”. FFS.

Yeah his recent history isn't or wasn't great, but he had a solid body of work prior to 2015 over his career and likely wasn't deemed too old.

I too was a tad surprised. Renowned manager Bielsa and rightly so.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

New guy has just won the Israeli league back to back with only one defeat in each season.

I have absolutely no idea how good that league is..

Makes two of us! Truly an unknown quantity.

Does anyone think hughton, Cook, Howe and the other names we were talking about, who think their stock is high and probably want a large salary and a transfer budget, are likely to get jobs for this season? I cant think of any vacancies available currently at Prem/Championship level and will club's think twice about the cost of sacking managers early and replacing them in these tough times. If they do I can see more assistant managers just stepping up.

26 minutes ago, Redsi2 said:

Does anyone think hughton, Cook, Howe and the other names we were talking about, who think their stock is high and probably want a large salary and a transfer budget, are likely to get jobs for this season? I cant think of any vacancies available currently at Prem/Championship level and will club's think twice about the cost of sacking managers early and replacing them in these tough times. If they do I can see more assistant managers just stepping up.

I wouldn't rule it out contingent on if they as managers whose stock is high move significantly on what they can expect this season certainly.

Still an unknown quantity in terms of whether there's any kind of agreement between Cook and Wigan.

Maybe they (administrators) waived compensation to release him based on strict terms? 

If they want the usual though then it's eminently possible they'll have to sit the season out at this level. Would PL or European top flights take a chance? Possibly!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think SL goes a bit giddy when on national media!

You bet Dave! The thought of having the club we all love competing in what is widely considered to be the best league in the world. Factor in the impact of current global uncertainties and you can be sure that the FA, tv companies, sponsors etc will likely protect the top division at all costs. Thus the need to get there sooner rather than later. Sad. But true.

9 hours ago, pigeon said:

Exactly. Did anyone see the video on City training at Failand. They actually broke into a sweat   !!!   Encouraging.?

Archived