IGNORED

Barca v Bayern

Super

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Really does worry me that LJ thought sub-6’ players was the way to go and we’ve got to now deal with his legacy.

Doubt whether Bayern have more than 1 player under 6’. 

Quick, throw away the football coaching manual, its not needed anymore, it's not how good a footballer you are, it’s just how tall you are?‍♂️

33 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Quick, throw away the football coaching manual, its not needed anymore, it's not how good a footballer you are, it’s just how tall you are?‍♂️

With a team which realistically could contain Hunt, Dasilva, Hano, Morrell, Walsh, Nagy, Pato, CoD, Wells, Elliason I think any opposition manager would do just that. Defending a team with aerial threats would get very interesting imo.

Many opposition teams already know how to get behind our wing-backs by use of high balls, with a couple of tall forwards and 6 ‘ plus advancing midfielders I think Bentley could be at severe risk, that’s without  consideration of his occasional flappy moments in coming for crosses. 

As Dean has shown could part-counter by playing 3-5-2 with additional height at the back and a bit more cover for the space behind the wing-backs but our height issues still makes us vulnerable. One of the reasons losing Fammy - who is excellent at defending high balls - could have major repercussions for us beyond just losing his goal threat.

9 minutes ago, RedRock said:

With a team which realistically could contain Hunt, Dasilva, Hano, Morrell, Walsh, Nagy, Pato, CoD, Wells, Elliason I think any opposition manager would do just that. Defending a team with aerial threats would get very interesting imo.

Many opposition teams already know how to get behind our wing-backs by use of high balls, with a couple of tall forwards and 6 ‘ plus advancing midfielders I think Bentley could be at severe risk, that’s without  consideration of his occasional flappy moments in coming for crosses. 

As Dean has shown could part-counter by playing 3-5-2 with additional height at the back and a bit more cover for the space behind the wing-backs but our height issues still makes us vulnerable. One of the reasons losing Fammy - who is excellent at defending high balls - could have major repercussions for us beyond just losing his goal threat.

Ah yes, the good old fashioned 2-6-1-1 formation (no centre back variant).

A personal favourite of mine that

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Ah yes, the good old fashioned 2-6-1-1 formation (no centre back variant).

A personal favourite of mine that

Frankly, with our midfield if we played 0-11-0 we’d still get over run in the centre of the pitch.

"Bayern don't have more than one player under 6 ft". Recorded the game so gonna watch it tomorrow- sounds like a good one!

The Bayern 1st XI tonight:

Neuer- 6 ft 3-6 ft 4

Kimmich- 5 ft 9

Boateng- 6 ft 3- maybe rounding takes to 6 ft 4.

Alaba- 5 ft 10- maybe rounding takes to 5 ft 11.

Davies- 5 ft 11

Thiago- 5 ft 8- maybe rounding takes to 5 ft 9.

Goretzka- 6 ft 2

Gnabry- 5 ft 8-5 ft 9

Muller- 6 ft 1

Perisic- 6 ft 1

Lewandowski- 6 ft

Subs:

Sule- 6 ft 4-6 ft 5

Hernandez- 5 ft 11-6 ft

Tolisso- 5 ft 11

Coutinho- 5 ft 7-5 ft 8

Coman- 5 ft 10

Now granted the subs played for varying lengths of time but height appears not to be decisive. Bayern are of course a top level side but it's sure not as important as it once was! On the other hand, online metrics/stats can be misleading- and it's funny some pictures Bayern look quite short but others they don't!

Archived