IGNORED

Joe Morrell and Liam Walsh

Smokey

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just to add Walsh's remaining year is the club exercised option as his contract was due to expire on 30.06.

Shouldn't we be trying to tie him down to a longer deal then

Will be interesting to see how much he features this season

We've got fresh eyes coming in with Downing and Simpson.

Any concern that these two won't be deemed 'ready enough' for the forthcoming campaign Fevs?

Holden hasn't had much chance to even see them play in a first team, barring early cup matches etc in previous seasons?

3 minutes ago, Smokey said:

If you're Walsh why sign a new deal at this point? Imagine it will be wait till December, see how much he plays and if he likes it then enter talks, if he doesn't we have a chance to sell him in Jan should we want to.

11 minutes ago, Smokey said:

According to @JollyestOlihe’s signed an extension beyond next summer.

8 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

We've got fresh eyes coming in with Downing and Simpson.

Any concern that these two won't be deemed 'ready enough' for the forthcoming campaign Fevs?

Holden hasn't had much chance to even see them play in a first team, barring early cup matches etc in previous seasons?

Always a concern when new men come in.  And if they think that, then time to move them on...and quickly.

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

If you're Walsh why sign a new deal at this point? Imagine it will be wait till December, see how much he plays and if he likes it then enter talks, if he doesn't we have a chance to sell him in Jan should we want to.

Is he likely to get a better deal elsewhere in the Championship?  If he doesn’t sign now, I’m sure he’ll be moved on in this window, he won’t even get to December.  To my mind, if he’s offered something now he’d take it.

Allegedly on £9k per week! ?

Thats my view anyway! ?

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Is he likely to get a better deal elsewhere in the Championship?  If he doesn’t sign now, I’m sure he’ll be moved on in this window, he won’t even get to December.  To my mind, if he’s offered something now he’d take it.

Allegedly on £9k per week! ?

Thats my view anyway! ?

Depends if he thinks Holden will play him when he hasn’t got long left on his contract.

I’m worried if there is a continuing desire to leave stemming from his frustration with LJ.

If Dean Holden doesn’t play him then he will leave for free. If he plays and plays well he might get various offers from clubs that will be looking for a bargain in the post-COVID world, and will feel he owes nothing to us.

Not an ideal situation to be in regarding a player who we could be looking to build our team around.

You would hope the conversations with him would be along the lines of/ “You have shown last year that you are ready to play regularly for us and step into the void left by JB/KS, but we need commitment to do that.”

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps he's willing to roll the dice, don't be tied down to a club you've not played much football at. Currently his last football is his spell at Coventry, think quite a few teams would have been wanting to talk to him if he was a free agent this summer. I don't think we'd get a huge amount for him this summer anyway, so as said I reckon we'll wait to November if both parties happy to extend then we will if not we'll look to sell with less upfront but a hefty sell on clause. We could easily make a couple of mil off the sell on if he goes on to have a couple of very good seasons elsewhere.

21 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Depends if he thinks Holden will play him when he hasn’t got long left on his contract.

I’m worried if there is a continuing desire to leave stemming from his frustration with LJ.

If Dean Holden doesn’t play him then he will leave for free. If he plays and plays well he might get various offers from clubs that will be looking for a bargain in the post-COVID world, and will feel he owes nothing to us.

Not an ideal situation to be in regarding a player who we could be looking to build our team around.

You would hope the conversations with him would be along the lines of/ “You have shown last year that you are ready to play regularly for us and step into the void left by JB/KS, but we need commitment to do that.”

Yeah, definitely two sides to this one and definitely not ideal....but would he want a season in the wilderness to just leave on a free next summer?  So I think it’s sign a deal now, or get moved on.  I think he’ll sign.  There were 3 or 4 clubs very keen to buy him, one of those was Coventry or Peterborough, but I can’t work out from my source who he was working on behalf.  He wasn’t gonna get a better financial deal from them, but he would be guaranteed to play more.  He may play loads here too.  He deserves a chance.

Walsh:

At his age, skill & coming off the excellent L1 season, he doesn’t really need to rush into a new deal.

Bar a serious injury, he can go wherever he chooses next season - if being advised well he’s going to wait & see how he is utilised this season before committing.

Unless offered a contract he can’t turn down. 

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hope these two, along with Moore, all get there proper chance.

Vyner should also feature, question about O'Leary as to how much gametime he gets given Bentley.

I'd say Morrell would probably partner Nagy in the midfield with Walsh playing a bit further forward. 

O'Leary is a difficult one he's definitely our 2nd choice and if he needed to step up he could with no problem but he needs game time, a full season at Shrewsbury did him all the best and maybe another league one loan would be beneficial. 

11 hours ago, Lrrr said:

In these times many clubs won't have the money to sign players so a big risk. If I was Walsh then I would be pushing to sign a new deal.

22 minutes ago, BigTone said:

In these times many clubs won't have the money to sign players so a big risk. If I was Walsh then I would be pushing to sign a new deal.

With the clubs recent lack of communication being highlighted it could be that the club are in discussion over a new deal for Walsh but haven’t let on yet..........:dunno:

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, definitely two sides to this one and definitely not ideal....but would he want a season in the wilderness to just leave on a free next summer?  So I think it’s sign a deal now, or get moved on.  I think he’ll sign.  There were 3 or 4 clubs very keen to buy him, one of those was Coventry or Peterborough, but I can’t work out from my source who he was working on behalf.  He wasn’t gonna get a better financial deal from them, but he would be guaranteed to play more.  He may play loads here too.  He deserves a chance.

I certainly hope so. Obviously Massengo has the highest ceiling of all in the long-term, but I think over the next couple of seasons Walsh could really be the best prospect for the first team. 

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

With the clubs recent lack of communication being highlighted it could be that the club are in discussion over a new deal for Walsh but haven’t let on yet..........:dunno:

Very possible Your Robboship

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

The single biggest thing that’ll annoy me the most this season is if Walsh doesn’t get a fair chance, and by fair chance I mean Callum O’Dowda, not Mo Eisa. 

Agreed, have said elsewhere Walsh being given an extended run in the first team is one of the few things I'm currently looking forward to next season.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

If he has a great year at his age, any bottom half premier league club will be delighted to pick up a still young midfielder currently on a free, much less of a punt then if he isn't quite up to it. 

56 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

If he has a great year at his age, any bottom half premier league club will be delighted to pick up a still young midfielder currently on a free, much less of a punt then if he isn't quite up to it. 

Time will tell I suppose

3 hours ago, YGBjammy said:

Walsh was best player for the league one champions, give him a nice contract please! If he backs himself, as all good players should, he should stay with us and prove he deserves a first team spot with us rather than at cov or similar

He’s already on a nice contract - alleged £9k per week ???

3 hours ago, Red Alert said:

Walsh:

At his age, skill & coming off the excellent L1 season, he doesn’t really need to rush into a new deal.

Bar a serious injury, he can go wherever he chooses next season - if being advised well he’s going to wait & see how he is utilised this season before committing.

Unless offered a contract he can’t turn down. 

If he doesn’t sign, we will attempt to sell him now imho.  We won’t let a player at this age with market value run down his contract.

3 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

I'd say Morrell would probably partner Nagy in the midfield with Walsh playing a bit further forward. 

O'Leary is a difficult one he's definitely our 2nd choice and if he needed to step up he could with no problem but he needs game time, a full season at Shrewsbury did him all the best and maybe another league one loan would be beneficial. 

Out of interest, where does Pato fit in? (Assumes 352)

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

According to @JollyestOlihes already signed one.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

The single biggest thing that’ll annoy me the most this season is if Walsh doesn’t get a fair chance, and by fair chance I mean Callum O’Dowda, not Mo Eisa. 

I’ve not seen one post or mention on a podcast of Callum being in competition for any slot in their team!

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s already on a nice contract - alleged £9k per week ???

Wow really?

I feel like something has gone wrong somewhere with us paying £1m for him, 9k/wk wages, and saying he was ready for the first team right away. That's a pretty big contract for us but he's basically not featured.

Did we just get it very wrong, and he was a lot further behind than we thought?

Those still seem like big sums for us to me!

We could conceivably start the season with one striker and countless midfielders (given that DH seems to see Weimann as a midfielder).

He is going to have a hell of a job keeping all those midfielders happy. His alleged popularity with the players is certainly going to be tested.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

We could conceivably start the season with one striker and countless midfielders (given that DH seems to see Weimann as a midfielder).

He is going to have a hell of a job keeping all those midfielders happy. His alleged popularity with the players is certainly going to be tested.

Weimann will go back up top surely. So will Szmodics. 

Then you have Nagy, HNM, Morrell, Walsh, Palmer, Pato. 

I mean it's not too many players for a midfield 3.

Just now, Selred said:

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Play a 4-6-0 as Barca did years ago

11 minutes ago, Selred said:

Weimann will go back up top surely. So will Szmodics. 

Then you have Nagy, HNM, Morrell, Walsh, Palmer, Pato. 

I mean it's not too many players for a midfield 3.

Szmodics certainly played up front at times for Colchester though it remains to be seen if Dean wants him at all. If Peterborough raise money from sales perhaps he might end up there? They would certainly like to have him.

In any event, unless Dean adopts a tombola approach to selection, 3 players at least are not going to be getting many games.

28 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Wow really?

I feel like something has gone wrong somewhere with us paying £1m for him, 9k/wk wages, and saying he was ready for the first team right away. That's a pretty big contract for us but he's basically not featured.

Did we just get it very wrong, and he was a lot further behind than we thought?

Those still seem like big sums for us to me!

IMO he was ready last season, as he was the best player in a championship winning league 1 team. Many of our best players from our L1 winning squad ended up at high-end champ/prem level. 

Archived