IGNORED

Christopher Hughton’s interview approach

Wolf Island

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Hughton has forgotten more about football, than the people who interviewed him know about the game. 

I call it bullshit. 

Okay the knowledge gap is seriously stretching credibility but...

How do we know his expectations of an instant overhaul weren't out of line with the current financial situation? 

Think it's interesting that he didn't get job at Bournemouth or Watford either.

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s plausible but after Gregor was used as a pawn in the Korey Smith incident earlier this week, his credibility took a dent.

If you’re City and want to help get fans back on-side, you’d leak a story like this to a City fan like ER with a large organic following. It’s all a bit too convenient and backs up the Holden narrative (knows the club, vision, staff, players).

I'm not saying it's true Mr Fogg, just confirming that Gregor must be one of the sources because he said it on the podcast last week!

Who Exiled Robin could have as a secondary source is anyone's guess. Of you're exiled it must be difficult to have sources...

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

Oh, and of course the two new coaches that the club approached 4-5 days before Holden was announced....knew every last detail of the club didn’t they.........

Are the club really trying to tell us that Hughton knew nothing about us, but the two new ones employed knew everything. This stinks of Mark Ashton.  

Completely different recruitment scenarios and roles. If Hughton did rock up complacent it would come across very badly. 

Hughton - quiet, measured, humble, experienced,  never heard anything detremental in the press about his character.

So, ask yourself : would he really come in unprepared with unrealistic expectations of an expensive squad overhaul at a time of financial turmoil for all clubs outside of the PL and be all Billy big bollox thinking he had the job?

Or is the OP full of shite?

Think about it. 

7 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

All possible. But equally wouldn’t it make sense of the situation? For all the bs Mark Ashton rolled out the other night one thing I agreed with was “the Lansdown family don’t do things on the cheap”. I know that’s more been about stadium and training ground...but we’ve thrown the transfer fees around too. Okay we haven’t backed it up with wages but there’s limitations there. 

Let’s consider this, we wanted Hughton, SL wanted him too, breath of fresh air concept, but he comes in and as suggested it’s a train wreck, thinks it’s a broom sweeping clean scenario (which let’s be honest none of us thought, it was a new coach plus the odd signing job). Not being funny but if I was interviewing somebody who hadn’t been in a job for eighteen months, I’d expect them to know more about the company than I did... especially in this field.

Of course this is all based on if that’s true. Will we ever know for sure? Course not. But that’s the fun of modern football. I’ve personally moved on, all I care about is 50 points and another season in this division...but that’s just me.

Of course it would make sense of the situation. 

That's why it's been leaked. Carefully thought out narrative.  

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Oh, and of course the two new coaches that the club approached 4-5 days before Holden was announced....knew every last detail of the club didn’t they.........

Why should assistants? They come in to implement the ideas of the head coach

Looking at transfermarkt there does seem to be quite an upheaval of playing squad the summer (or next summer if mid-season) he arrives at his previous clubs (often brings in several players), so perhaps the idea of wanting to overhaul our squad isn't so outlandish.

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Hughton - quiet, measured, humble, experienced,  never heard anything detremental in the press about his character.

So, ask yourself : would he really come in unprepared with unrealistic expectations of an expensive squad overhaul at a time of financial turmoil for all clubs outside of the PL and be all Billy big bollox thinking he had the job?

Or is the OP full of shite?

Think about it. 

It’s possible - maybe he’s lost a step. Hasn’t been in work for a while. A few other very credible posters on this thread are saying they’ve heard similar so maybe there’s something in it..

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Are the club really trying to tell us that Hughton knew nothing about us, but the two new ones employed knew everything. This stinks of Mark Ashton.  

And more worrying is that this shithousery will be noted in the wider football world, good luck with getting good candidates to apply in future if they see this sort of thing coming out of the club

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What ER has posted is very similar to what I heard on 31st July.

What on earth would possess someone to leak this information? How does doing so help anyone?

True or not, and I’m not buying it after Ashtons performance throughout the GT questions, it’s shockingly unprofessional.

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

The quotes surrounding his interest were that he'd be interested with the 'right backing', perhaps for him to be interested in taking the job with us that's what it would have required? 

Just now, Med/MadHatter said:

And more worrying is that this shithousery will be noted in the wider football world, good luck with getting good candidates to apply in future if they see this sort of thing coming out of the club

Otoh, maybe there's something in parts of it anyway. The demanding an overhaul?

Hughton wants big wage budget, Hughton wants big fees. We have fairly big squad, revenue flattened by Covid, FFP still around. (Same for all clubs yes, revenue flattened AND FFP). Transfer market maybe stagnant as a result.

Where is the headroom for a significant overhaul. Hemmed in for a year at least.

Ridiculous. Chris Hughton is clearly a top manager - as somebody else said surely it should have been him interviewing us not the other way around.
We will never have a quality manager in charge as long as Ashton is here, puppets or rookies starting out in the game is all we can hope for.

2 minutes ago, Kibs said:

What on earth would possess someone to leak this information? How does doing so help anyone?

True or not, and I’m not buying it after Ashtons performance throughout the GT questions, it’s shockingly unprofessional.

How do you know someone with a top exec role did it? People leak stuff they shouldn't for all manner of reasons. 

23 minutes ago, M.D said:

So, Chris Hughton attended an interview for a role with a championship club and came in completely unprepared not knowing the background of the club or its playing staff.

he then had no plan or insight in to how he wanted to take this club forward apart from get rid of all the playing staff.

does that sound believable?

No the man's far more intelligent than that.. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How do you know someone with a top exec role did it? People leak stuff they shouldn't for all manner of reasons. 

I should have started the reply with “if this is true.....”

Either way, it doesn’t reflect well on the club does it.

Edit: And I guess if I’m being honest, because after the BS spun in the press conference, I have a pretty low opinion of the club execs right now. 

4 minutes ago, James54De said:

Okay, but who else is there to hear from. Hughton? It’s one of two parties surely. 

Yeah, I don’t know.  All I was adding was that I heard pretty much what ER said two weeks ago, rather than it being something thrown in the mix now and leaked by the club to make the Holden announcement look better retrospectively.  I also heard that Hughton was still a possibility after this happened....go figure that.  Just adds to my view that it’s been the weirdest job search ever!!

So my logic is:

• didn't do a very good first interview
  • but club really like him
  • they chat again thinking might reach more common ground
  • they don't

and we don’t really know what bad interview means either.  All down to interpretation I guess.

5 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Doesn't reflect well no. We don't know the truth either.

However football and leaks are not uncommon. Leaks happen for all manner of reasons:

*Someone may deem it in the public interest/greater good.

*Someone maybe petty/malicious. Grudge?

*Someone may wish to embarrass their superior. See above.

*Revenge- passed over for promotion, sacked unfairly whatever.

That's just a few reasons that are possible here. 

I stand by my view that football is a fairly leaky industry however, for all manner of reasons.

I don't truly believe he really want the job. Personally I think he has an agent who has used the vacancy to get his name out and about for other jobs. Interestingly soon after his interest in the job was made known by whoever, he is on our screens as a studio guest. 

49 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Nine years ago Cardiff were interviewing Hughton for a new manager. Rumour then was that his interview was a car crash and he had brought a presentation meant for another club he was interested in (West Ham I believe).

1 minute ago, Kibs said:

Nope!! They don't want someone coming in and doing a better job than them ..if we get premiership football with ashton still at the club I will be surprised.  All aload of b*****ks.

Archived