IGNORED

Christopher Hughton’s interview approach

Wolf Island

37 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

At least you don't "call bullshit" which is one of the most irritating phrases. 

It's a phrase that seems to be growing in popularity on this forum. It's incredibly annoying.

People who use that phrase should ask themselves some serious questions, starting with why the hell do they want to sound like Tom Cruise in the first place. 

Ok, I think it’s bullshit then!

9 hours ago, James54De said:

Perhaps he got multiple interviews because the club really wanted him, and thought that they should try as hard as they could to reach an agreement. 

That’s what I eluded to in another post.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

At the time the “process” as we have become accustomed to call it, was live. 

Dave & I shared messages privately about what we had heard (which were broadly similar).

What Dave says is 100% true, though of course none of us, as we were hearing this through 3rd parties, can know how totally accurate it was.

We did.  Our lens on the reason for “bad interview” was more a case of not aligned on level of control on transfers, rather than lack of preparation.

Don't get me wrong, we all love a bit of sensationalism though.

As @Red Alert says you’d have different expectations / weighting’s from an internal appointment than external.  Hughton wouldn’t know the individual characters, like Holden would, experienced interviewers would recognise that.

The fact that club were still interested (had subsequent conversations) shows that they thought there was middle ground to be found.

As Graham says, unless it’s from MA/JL or CH, it’s all 3rd Party sources and sometimes several times removed....and that can mean it gets distorted by the time it ends up on here. 

2 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Not saying I believe the tweet or anything. 
But reading some of the comments regarding Hughton being a model professional and should of been interviewing us etc. 
So either these posters know him personally to make these assumptions or like the tweet, they could be just making it up. 
For all we really know he may be an arrogant toss pot in real life, or he could be the first man to get a round in. We are all after all like the tweet, speculating. 

Multiple quotes from people in the game saying that he was a meticulous and hard working coach. A lot of it has been mentioned on OTIB.

1 hour ago, The dastardly red said:

At least you don't "call bullshit" which is one of the most irritating phrases. 

It's a phrase that seems to be growing in popularity on this forum. It's incredibly annoying.

People who use that phrase should ask themselves some serious questions, starting with why the hell do they want to sound like Tom Cruise in the first place. 

Oh yes that is annoying. Worth a thread of its own, annoying forum phrases.

Another one is ‘stumbling block’ - I’ve never seen it used outside of this forum.

Anyone who appoints on the basis of an interview is a moron anyway. Bullshitters are great at interview. I'm sure LJ gave a detailed presentation on how we'd be in Europe in 5 years and look how that turned out. 

Track record, achievements, skills, experience and feedback from previous employers. That is far more reliable than an interview to judge a candidate. The only way CH could struggle at interview is telling MA and SL that their plan wasn't realistic, something they wouldn't want to hear. 

That Exiled Robin bloke is so desperate to be "in" with the club, wouldn't surprise me if the club are using him to try and spread stuff around that suits their agenda.

Don't try disagreeing with the bloke online hes pretty aggressive with his opinions and deletes stuff he doesn't like. Dont like him at all.

13 minutes ago, fishy said:

I have it on very good authority that CH took a massive shit on Lansdown's desk and wiped his arse on a Bears/City half and half scarf.  I've absolutely no evidence, but it is a fact.

He could have actually done that and there'd still be people on here wanting him appointed.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Anything can be 'leaked' mate...depends whether it was just a general comment to someone in passing...or whether there is an agenda behind any comment.

All staff members chat and enquire about what's going on at a Club. Some are more careful about who they talk too outside of the Club.

I've even known of stories being made up to see where leaks are coming from.

The majority of employees have to sign confidentiality agreements when leaving if given a settlement.

It only needs say an analyst down the food chain to enquire from someone further up the food chain so to speak...' heard anything as to why CH didn't get the job?...answer...' heard he didn't interview well'...whether true or not...and before you know it Chinese whispers start...

Thanks.

Yeah confidentiality agreements are common place I reckon. Made up stories to find a leaker, remember reading about it on here before.

Still you look at some of the leaks in football these days, confidentiality agreement or not and it does seem more prevalent or commonplace the higher you go.

I certainly don't believe that only 2-3 people at club ie the top brass would know about managerial interview or such like. Regardless of the truth of this particular case.

The idea it's able to kept so secret, in an industry like football. I struggle with that!

So let's see where we are,

6 weeks ago 90% of fans were wanting Hughton appointed. 1 week ago there was disbelief and disappointment when Holden is appointed, Ashton gives a weak interview on radio and the fanbase is not happy.

One "story" is then fed out by Bristol Sport through Gregor (who interestingly doesn't publish it in his paper) to a useful idiot who posts it on Twitter and away we go....

Now a growing number are subscribing to the narrative that Hughton was unprepared unrealistic and yesterday's man who can't get a Job anywhere, and weren't we lucky to dodge that bullet and get that nice Deano instead.

Job done for Bristol Sport.

8 hours ago, Spike said:

I think Hughton would have wanted control, that's the be all and end all issue that prevented it IMO. Hughton is a manager, we wanted a coach and I'd imagine Hughton said "I want to do it my way" and the board probably said "We employ Ashton for the transfer dealings and what we want is a coach".
I think ultimately it was just down to the old style vs the new system and the club were unwilling to budge on their new coaches over management approach that they are taking. I'd imagine Hughton would have wanted a budget to work with too which is more risky than selling our best players and developing new ones.

It still comes down to money and control IMO, many are happy to accept the new coaches because they look good on camera, doing their coaching techniques but until we see that transfer onto the pitch it all means nothing when it comes to getting promotion. We could develop a squad of 30 outstanding youngers and still not win promotion because at the end of the day it comes down to tactics and the performance of the 11 players and any subs. I don't see promotion under this model, at least not with Holden as I don't think he'll have the tactical experience.

I personally would have given Hughton control and told Ashton to work with him on transfers on a 2 year contract and after 2 seasons if there were no clear signs of promotion I'd have let the contract end. There won't be many big chances to have a manager of that quality at this level and although the club has a plan having a few seasons of the youth developing on loans or the odd games wouldn't have been detrimental in the long run, it certainly wouldn't have been a bad thing had we gained promotion but it is what it is. I'm not excited about this season, I won't be going to any games and I won't be buying any merch. I can understand the fans that are willing to just get on with it and support the club but I believe if you financially back something that you don't agree with then you'll forever be that fan the club can exploit when they need to.

Control of ins and outs. Within budget and financial regulations of course but this would have to be negotiated. 

Could see that it the pure control irrespective of finances being a sticking point in its own right too.

Agree on tactics and performance, direction from a manager/head coach too. Some reasonable signs from Holden but Weimann in midfield doesn't feel a long term solution to me!

Need at least two CMs with Paterson IMO. Maybe even 3 genuine CMs for some games.

2 year deal? How about 3 year deal but accepting that this year maybe quiet in the market.

Summer 2021 could be a much better time to rebuild, lots of contracts up! Instant push in the market wouldn't feel feasible atm, despite the obvious risk/reward dilemma.

17 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

6 weeks ago 90% of fans were wanting Hughton appointed. 1 week ago there was disbelief and disappointment when Holden is appointed, Ashton gives a weak interview on radio and the fanbase is not happy.

One "story" is then fed out by Bristol Sport through Gregor (who interestingly doesn't publish it in his paper) to a useful idiot who posts it on Twitter and away we go....

Now a growing number are subscribing to the narrative that Hughton was unprepared unrealistic and yesterday's man who can't get a Job anywhere, and weren't we lucky to dodge that bullet and get that nice Deano instead.

Don't know if leaks in football are necessarily club led quite often. 

We aren't used to it but it can be pretty commonplace. It can often lead to red faces inside clubs, in club boardrooms or football governing bodies but it's inevitable.

Out of interest, which bits do you disbelieve? For me it's the lack of knowledge or preparation. Other bits in financial or control, I'm less sure on.

...and the tweet has now been deleted...

2 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Wouldn’t trust a word Exiled Robin has to say. He’s one of a few self appointed ‘voice of the fans’ that absolutely do my head in. Self important and tedious in the extreme. 

Yep, he's almost omnipresent with how we pops up anywhere at half a moment's opportunity - podcasts, opposition blogs, the lot.

6 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Mr Hughton, Mr Cook, yes we know you both have got great records in coaching teams to promotions, but,the problem is, you just don’t know enough about our under 15 academy players. Mr Holden does though, so bye!

Or alternatively. 

"Mr Hughton, we know you have a great record in coaching sides to promotion but you want how much in transfer budget and wages in summer 2020??

"Mr Cook, we know you have a great record in coaching sides to promotion, but the administrators at Wigan want how much in compensation??"

See also Bournemouth and Watford. In the case of the latter I reiterate, the administrators were refusing to let him leave without the compensation clause being honoured and justifiably so!

The administrators wanted to know his reasons for leaving before relenting, to be assured he wouldn't walk right into another job apparently.

The financial and possibly in Cook's case, the complex contractual realities exist, no matter how much some (not you) people may wish it away.

It's a long way from football as I remember even 20 years ago tbh!

1 minute ago, View from the Dolman said:

Yep, he's almost omnipresent with how we pops up anywhere at half a moment's opportunity - podcasts, opposition blogs, the lot.

Was trying to take credit for the club statement on Jamie McAllister the other day. He and a few others drive me mad and need to get back in their box IMHO.

15 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Could be to protect sources etc. Can't imagine the club or Hughton would appreciate it, despite football being a leaky industry.

Because if he has to justify it, he may have to name his source and Rule 101 of journalism or leaks or leaks via media or similar is you do not name or compromise your source.

Not that I necessarily believe this, save for the budget bit.

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The Exiled Robin has deleted that tweet now, but not before backtracking and admitting he shouldn’t have used the wording “...so can confirm ...” - it was a load of rubbish which was pretty obvious anyway ...

He can confirm that was his opinion of what happened. 

TBH even if one of the interviewers told me that, I'd not believe them.

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Exactly this. Can't believe people would fall for this. 

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Ok until the results don't go our way then they will definitely know about it.. I personally think Hughton wants the right job can't see Watford as a good job Bournemouth already decided who they wanted,So I dont it's a case of nobody's wants him.. well accept us ?

17 minutes ago, Street red said:

Ok until the results don't go our way then they will definitely know about it.. I personally think Hughton wants the right job can't see Watford as a good job Bournemouth already decided who they wanted,So I dont it's a case of nobody's wants him.. well accept us ?

Perhaps Hughton's budgetary wishes exceeded what was feasible at all 3 clubs?

Archived