IGNORED

Christopher Hughton’s interview approach

Wolf Island

4 minutes ago, bris red said:

surely it should have been him interviewing us not the other way around.

Seriously? It's hysterical stuff like this that makes me side with Ashton and the Lansdowns and double my support for Dean and the boys. 

You think Chris Hughton is bigger than Bristol City? F'k off! 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, I don’t know.  All I was adding was that I heard pretty much what ER said two weeks ago, rather than it being something thrown in the mix now and leaked by the club to make the Holden announcement look better retrospectively.  I also heard that Hughton was still a possibility after this happened....go figure that.  Just adds to my view that it’s been the weirdest job search ever!!

So my logic is:

• didn't do a very good first interview
  • but club really like him
  • they chat again thinking might reach more common ground
  • they don't

and we don’t really know what bad interview means either.  All down to interpretation I guess.

Why not mention it at the time? It’s easier to come out now to back a mate up.

As a chief exec, would you want anyone earning more than you in a 'lower role' like head coach or manager, that you couldn't be a baring influence on?

That would be Chris Hughton. He has his own mind and methods.

There is too much power up high, in executive positions with no real football experience.

As i've said before. We are ran more like an events organiser and recuitments agency now, but that is where the expertise of our CEO and his staff is.

Our old club is very, very dead.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How do you know someone with a top exec role did it? People leak stuff they shouldn't for all manner of reasons. 

I understood that it was just MA and JL that did the interviews, if true, and if this leak is true, then one of them leaked it to someone. MA stated that everything must be kept confidential in his Twentyman grilling.

11 minutes ago, erndogz said:

I don't truly believe he really want the job. Personally I think he has an agent who has used the vacancy to get his name out and about for other jobs. Interestingly soon after his interest in the job was made known by whoever, he is on our screens as a studio guest. 

Worked well given the two arguably plum vacancies at this level both appointed relative unknowns. :)

Maybe he needs to align his financial expectations, just a bit, with the financial situation at this time.

2 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Seriously? It's hysterical stuff like this that makes me side with Ashton and the Lansdowns and double my support for Dean and the boys. 

You think Chris Hughton is bigger than Bristol City? F'k off! 

We'd be the smallest team he'd have taken charge of, I don't necessarily agree about 'it should be the other way around' but his reputation is still probably above our level so to say. 

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

I understood that it was just MA and JL that did the interviews, if true, and if this leak is true, then one of them leaked it to someone. MA stated that everything must be kept confidential in his Twentyman grilling.

Underling could've got wind of something and leaked. Unauthorised leaks happen often and in football particularly.

We aren't altogether used to it at this club possibly?

3 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

As a chief exec, would you want anyone earning more than you in a 'lower role' like head coach or manager, that you couldn't be a baring influence on?

That would be Chris Hughton. He has his own mind and methods.

There is too much power up high, in executive positions with no real football experience.

As i've said before. We are ran more like an events organiser and recuitments agency now, but that is where the experise of our CEO and his staff is.

Our old club is very, very dead.

I don’t particularly like Mark Ashton but he has been involved with various football clubs for the past 15 years. I’m not sure that him not having football experience is true. 

38 minutes ago, M.D said:

So, Chris Hughton attended an interview for a role with a championship club and came in completely unprepared not knowing the background of the club or its playing staff.

he then had no plan or insight in to how he wanted to take this club forward apart from get rid of all the playing staff.

does that sound believable?

quite possibly yes, I am sure it would be an easy trap to fall into as an established manager. Especially if you thought you were perhaps lowering yourself or going somewhere you knew was in theory, well backed and on the face of it prime candidates for them to say “get us to the premier league at all costs Chris”

Steve said no, no no 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Underling could've got wind of something and leaked. Unauthorised leaks happen often and in football particularly.

We aren't altogether used to it at this club possibly?

Agreed, we have never been a club that plays the leak game, ( that I’m aware of anyway) we do now have someone who manipulates things for his own ends/ ego though. I trust Mark Ashton as much as I do Dominic Cummings. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Worked well given the two arguably plum vacancies at this level both appointed relative unknowns. :)

Maybe he needs to align his financial expectations, just a bit, with the financial situation at this time.

Are you implying that CH, who from what I’ve seen, seems a fairly intelligent guy, is probably the only person on the planet who doesn’t realise COVID-19 will impact finances? and that he needs to get with the program!! ?

10 minutes ago, Henry said:

Why not mention it at the time? It’s easier to come out now to back a mate up.

Because you’d all go “source”, and I’m not willing to divulge, nor do we ever know whether they truly know.  And I pissed off a few people when I made a comment about Rory Holden without naming him but using the “eyes” ? emoji.

So I just kept this quiet.  As I said, I heard he was still in with a chance too.

I wonder if @Kid in the Riotheard similar.

12 minutes ago, Red Dread said:

Nine years ago Cardiff were interviewing Hughton for a new manager. Rumour then was that his interview was a car crash and he had brought a presentation meant for another club he was interested in (West Ham I believe).

You just made that up.

Funny that you never once mentioned that on the 172 page thread that ran for 5 weeks titled Chris Hughton.

Get in the bin.

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

Agreed, we have never been a club that plays the leak game, ( that I’m aware of anyway) we do now have someone who manipulates things for his own ends/ ego though. I trust Mark Ashton as much as I do Dominic Cummings. 

I'm purely speculating now but someone mistreated, someone with a grudge, laid off  and not happy. 

Club led or some malcontent talking off the record. Could all be fake of course!

I didn't want CH but this is bullshit. 

No way Exiled Robin would know this.. We keep most things secret it's something that we are fairly good at (even though fans sometimes see this as a negative)

Of course in the leaky business of football things can come out about transfers but that's usually out of our control i.e Agents

This is just conspiracy, no way Steve or Jon would risk their reputation in business/football saying this and Mark Ashton wouldn't risk his reputation in the business of football or his position on the FA EFL board.

Either way its meaningless, just seems like attention seeking after all the hysteria of not getting Hughton.

17 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Are you implying that CH, who from what I’ve seen, seems a fairly intelligent guy, is probably the only person on the planet who doesn’t realise COVID-19 will impact finances? and that he needs to get with the program!! ?

He is an intelligent guy no doubt which is why I treat this with some scepticism overall but I wonder if some bits have truth.

Or maybe we are under some kind of EFL 'guidance' in the market along with a number of clubs.

In theory, 3 year losses to the current year of more than £13m but lower than £39m can put a club on the EFL radar concerning the following 2 seasons.

'Guidance' isn't a terrible thing in itself, more like it would impact what transfer and wage budget a club can offer a new manager.

3 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

This is just conspiracy, no way Steve or Jon would risk their reputation in business/football saying this and Mark Ashton wouldn't risk his reputation in the business of football or his position on the FA EFL board.

Of course a discontented employee or former employee who got wind may have leaked. Why's that so implausible?

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

This has been an interesting thread. Good discussion. 

Really? A rumour that supports what quite a few people have heard (Including myself) v people who still think that CH is a God, offering guaranteed promotion. 
Watford and Bournemouth made internal appointments, maybe clubs are finally realising that continuity might be a better way forward, especially when funds are tight. 

17 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

You just made that up.

Funny that you never once mentioned that on the 172 page thread that ran for 5 weeks titled Chris Hughton.

Get in the bin.

Top result when searching 'Chris Hughton Cardiff interview' in google

https://www.offthepost.info/2011/08/03/did-chris-hughton-go-to-cardiff-city-interview-with-his-west-ham-powerpoint-presentation/

Doesn't make it true but the rumour exists

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Of course a discontented employee or former employee who got wind may have leaked. Why's that so implausible?

It's not impossible but in my mind its implausible because most things are nowadays. For some reason society and specifically football fans are always looking for a reason or conspiracy behind things. I must read 4 rumours or implausible theories on just this platform a week. We live in a world of attention seekers and that's what I feel it is. Why hasn't Exiled Robin talked about Paul Cooks interview and the reasons he didnt get the job (surely the same source would know about that too?) or other candidates? The reason is because Chris Hughton is on vogue at the moment and it will gather the most attention. 

Obviously I have no idea but I just don't buy it.

25 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

You just made that up.

Get in the bin.

Quick google search show article about it here:https://www.offthepost.info/2011/08/03/did-chris-hughton-go-to-cardiff-city-interview-with-his-west-ham-powerpoint-presentation/   so whether its true or not he obviously didn't make it up. 

3 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

It's not impossible but in my mind its implausible because most things are nowadays. For some reason society and specifically football fans are always looking for a reason or conspiracy behind things. I must read 4 rumours or implausible theories on just this platform a week. We live in a world of attention seekers and that's what I feel it is. Why hasn't Exiled Robin talked about Paul Cooks interview and the reasons he didnt get the job (surely the same source would know about that too?) or other candidates? The reason is because Chris Hughton is on vogue at the moment and it will gather the most attention. 

Obviously I have no idea but I just don't buy it.

I think the main thing is that board do believe that DH is the best man for the Bristol City job following the interview process.  But he wasn’t the best candidate on paper at the outset.

I said I was excited by DH’s appointment, then I slightly tempered it by saying I was encouraged....but I think I am excited.

Right, who are we signing?

Archived