IGNORED

Christopher Hughton’s interview approach

Wolf Island

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Or alternatively. 

"Mr Hughton, we know you have a great record in coaching sides to promotion but you want how much in transfer budget and wages in summer 2020??

"Mr Cook, we know you have a great record in coaching sides to promotion, but the administrators at Wigan want how much in compensation??"

See also Bournemouth and Watford. In the case of the latter I reiterate, the administrators were refusing to let him leave without the compensation clause being honoured and justifiably so!

The administrators wanted to know his reasons for leaving before relenting, to be assured he wouldn't walk right into another job apparently.

The financial and possibly in Cook's case, the complex contractual realities exist, no matter how much some (not you) people may wish it away.

It's a long way from football as I remember even 20 years ago tbh!

Those two questions would’ve been asked and answered well before the interview stage. It’s the sort of thing you find out when initially sounding someone out via their agent.

Hughton wouldn’t have done the rumoured two interviews without finances being established beforehand.

19 hours ago, milo1111 said:

Utter twaddle leaked from the club to get fans back onside possibly. 

hughton wasn’t the only suitable candidate so it’s no excuse for ending up with Holden anyway.

You are probably right IMO. 

The club appears rotten to the core with false info/smear campaigns currently. Don’t believe most of the sh*te that comes out nowadays. Chris Hughton was a great opportunity missed. Even if his view was a “clear out” of sorts (which is probably right), the fact remains that they went with the cheap option and against there initial press briefings and promises. 

20 hours ago, Hare Island said:

CH wanted complete control of incoming and outgoing players which will never happen while Mr Ashton is there it was that simple. I have no doubt like most CH would have taken us to the next level most of us crave but unfortunately nothing has changed and we will regress under the new set up. Mark my words me Ashton will ruin this club top to bottom and all for his own gains just like he did at Oxford and WBA before that. Utter Shambles and KS litterly turned the lights off on his way out.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Those two questions would’ve been asked and answered well before the interview stage. It’s the sort of thing you find out when initially sounding someone out via their agent.

Hughton wouldn’t have done the rumoured two interviews without finances being established beforehand.

We'll never know I suppose but I feel it might have been a problem.

Could be solely control then maybe? Problem being...

41 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

CH wanted complete control of incoming and outgoing players which will never happen while Mr Ashton is there it was that simple. I have no doubt like most CH would have taken us to the next level most of us crave but unfortunately nothing has changed and we will regress under the new set up. Mark my words me Ashton will ruin this club top to bottom and all for his own gains just like he did at Oxford and WBA before that. Utter Shambles and KS litterly turned the lights off on his way out.

No manager can have complete control, not now. There will, arguably has to be with acceptable loss limits, some kind of collaboration, give and take. Don't know how much the old model holds at this time. 

If by complete control that means club set the budget or thrash out the budget with the manager, and then he gets on with it that seems fair enough!

If it means an incoming manager demanding £10m in this particular summer, and an increase in wage budget which will at least be equal already IMO to £30m of 2018/19, in this summer of all summers then no we couldn't cede that kind of control at this time, could we?

To say nothing of other potential costs, eg compensation to clubs for sourcing and hiring coaching staff.

Or that combined with compensation to LJ, McCallister and whoever else was laid off. Oh and Hughton himself wouldn't come cheap. 

With Covid losses, the FFP loss limit still remaining as it is, where exactly is the financial headroom coming from?

Let's face it an interview for a football manager is not a normal job interview, we would not have been asking questions of Houghton ability or suitability for the role as a football manager as that is known. 

The interview is for all intents and purposes a contract negotiation, in the "interviews" the board and Hughton will have been talking about the playing budget, the level of control required by the prospective manager, backroom staff etc etc. 

It's perfectly possible that from the clubs point of view Hughton did not interview "well" as he may have had certain red lines, I expect over the level of control that Aston wants and was not willing to give even an inch. 

Out of that eventually comes this shit, I don't think the club are leaking this, I think it probably started as per the above and as it's made its way through various people its morphed into this utter drivel that was put on twitter. 

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We'll never know I suppose but I feel it might have been a problem.

Could be solely control then maybe? Problem being...

No manager can have complete control, not now. There will, arguably has to be with acceptable loss limits, some kind of collaboration, give and take. Don't know how much the old model holds at this time. 

If by complete control that means club set the budget or thrash out the budget with the manager, and then he gets on with it that seems fair enough!

If it means an incoming manager demanding £10m in this particular summer, and an increase in wage budget which will at least be equal already IMO to £30m of 2018/19, in this summer of all summers then no we couldn't cede that kind of control at this time, could we?

To say nothing of other potential costs, eg compensation to clubs for sourcing and hiring coaching staff.

Or that combined with compensation to LJ, McCallister and whoever else was laid off. Oh and Hughton himself wouldn't come cheap. 

With Covid losses, the FFP loss limit still remaining as it is, where exactly is the financial headroom coming from?

It feels like, and I say this with maximum respect, that you’ve got this theory about Covid into your head and are determined to view everything through that lens.

We simply wouldn’t have entertained the idea of Hughton without budget expectations being established at the first hurdle. It’s a massive consideration for managers and it would be one of the first things discussed prior to interview.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It feels like, and I say this with maximum respect, that you’ve got this theory about Covid into your head and are determined to view everything through that lens.

We simply wouldn’t have entertained the idea of Hughton without budget expectations being established at the first hurdle. It’s a massive consideration for managers and it would be one of the first things discussed prior to interview.

Possibly the case yeah! About me trying to fix it in.

Indeed it is, we'll likely never know either way whether there was a mismatch- I don't believe the stuff about lack of knowledge or lack of preparation- but what I do know is that an overhaul this particular summer most likely wouldn't have been feasible. Next summer? Yeah!

If it was control he wanted, fine to a point- that point may have been passed if he had wanted a load of aging players, or a £10m transfer budget and a significant wage budget.

17 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think, irrespective of the truth in the interview, what this process has done is a degree of harm to Chris Hughtons future managerial aspirations, and I’d make the call that his next appointment will be at a smaller club than us.

Hes now:

- Over a year out of the game

- Been not selected for a job he’s publicly expressed an interest in (ours)

- Been not in the frame for jobs you’d expect him to be a candidate for (Watford/Bournemouth)

If there’s a lower prem vacancy or a top six champ, they’re looking at Eddie Howe first. I don’t care how good you are (or were) previously, football moves fast and when you’re 60+ and out of the game for the period CH is/will be (likely verging on 2 years when the next “scale” vacancies come about), you’re yesterday’s man - you’re  Alan Curbishley.

Fact is, CH needed our job, Bournemouth job or Watford job at this stage to avoid that slip into “didn’t he do well ages ago” territory when future roles come up. And if he did come unprepared in view of that, more fool him.

None of this means I didn’t think he was a damn good candidate on paper and wouldn’t have welcomed him. But he may have needed us as much as we may have needed him 

Or foreign. Lot more foreign managers in the Championship than a decade ago.

See what you're getting at though, in terms of Howe v Hughton.

One - I don’t believe this conspiracy theory which was no doubt leaked by the board to deflect justified criticism away from them. This reeks of Trashton, who has a history for lies. 

Two - The higher you go up the football pyramid, the less likely a decent manager will accept the terms on offer from the board, eg the level of interference from SL and Trashton having way too big a say in transfers. 

1 hour ago, Kibs said:

Because the individual that tweeted it has now **** his pants and deleted the tweet.

28 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

It’s probably best that way in all honesty! COYR

Thanks Guys. I expect the Kremlin were involved then as well ?

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Possibly the case yeah! About me trying to fix it in.

Thought so ?

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed it is, we'll likely never know either way whether there was a mismatch- I don't believe the stuff about lack of knowledge or lack of preparation- but what I do know is that an overhaul this particular summer most likely wouldn't have been feasible. Next summer? Yeah!

If it was control he wanted, fine to a point- that point may have been passed if he had wanted a load of aging players, or a £10m transfer budget and a significant wage budget.

The rumour contradicts itself somewhat. Allegedly Hughton knew nothing about the squad, but also wanted to overhaul it. That doesn’t make sense.

I think he wouldn’t have got to interview stage if his budget expectations were miles out. Depending on whether you believe the Gerrard rumours or not, (I do), we wouldn’t have even looked into it without money to give him. There’s no way a manager of Gerrard’s reputation in the game wants a 4/5 year slow burning project.

On 14/08/2020 at 22:38, milo1111 said:

Utter twaddle leaked from the club to get fans back onside possibly. 

hughton wasn’t the only suitable candidate so it’s no excuse for ending up with Holden anyway.

Highly doubt this has come from the club, more likely someone’s just made it up

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Thought so ?

The rumour contradicts itself somewhat. Allegedly Hughton knew nothing about the squad, but also wanted to overhaul it. That doesn’t make sense.

I think he wouldn’t have got to interview stage if his budget expectations were miles out. Depending on whether you believe the Gerrard rumours or not, (I do), we wouldn’t have even looked into it without money to give him. There’s no way a manager of Gerrard’s reputation in the game wants a 4/5 year slow burning project.

I believe parts of the rumour could be true. As you say, on closer inspection the two bits do contradict each other somewhat. 

Gerrard and his ilk will have to get used to FFP! Unless they get jobs at top clubs for whom it isn't a great issue. I make Rangers FFP position at the UEFA level a questionable one.

The system won't change for Gerrard and those like him, it's on them to adapt. Hughton too if applicable to clubs he's at, Howe most definitely.

Those who don't adapt will slip back. 

I also maintain that our budget maybe under some kind of limitations, see the future financial information section. If done correctly that is monitoring to quite a high level.

If Hughton was asked to sign a mutual NDA prior to the interview process to protect confidentiality it would cover both parties. What would happen if a subsequent 'leak' damaged the professional reputation of one of the parties? Would they have grounds for legal action?

On 15/08/2020 at 15:35, Agard Days Night said:

Wouldn’t trust a word Exiled Robin has to say. He’s one of a few self appointed ‘voice of the fans’ that absolutely do my head in. Self important and tedious in the extreme. 

Well to be fair chief, your record of posting absolute rubbish on here is well documented, so best not be too self righteous ...

This extract from Yorkshire Live relating to Huddersfield amused me given the comments above, looks remarkably familiar:

Who is involved in the transfer process?

There will be some crossover between roles, but roughly speaking:

• Chairman Phil Hodgkinson and chief executive Mark Devlin set the budget.
  • Head of recruitment Josh Marsh leads a scouting and analysis team that recommends the players.
  • Head coach Carlos Corberan has final say on who he wants.
  • Head of football operations Leigh Bromby works to bring them in, as well as negotiating the exits of departing players.

Seven pages of wild and random speculation over a rumour, during which the club is described as ‘rotten to the core’.  If the club decided, for whatever reason, that Chris Hughton was the wrong choice for manager, then I’m prepared to accept that.  I’ve interviewed for senior staff more times than I care to remember, and have lost count of the number of times the pre-interview ‘favourite’ turned out to be clearly not the right person to appoint.  So a choice was made, and we should move on.  None of you know what happened at the interviews, but I am happy to accept that the club felt that the new arrangement was the best one for the club, and I want to carry on supporting MY football club.  There is stuff written on this thread (and others) which makes me feel embarrassed to be a City supporter.

11 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Ok chief. 

Forgot because a transfer fell through I can’t have an opinion on the Exiled Robin. Thanks for reminding me chief.

‘Fell through’ ??- i’m assuming that’s an admirable backtrack on your post declaring that “Taylor Moore had signed a permanent deal with Southend, it was a done deal that would be announced imminently and you knew this because he told you to your face.” Yet he’s still with us. It didn’t ‘fall through’ it was never happening. And there’s more of these that you’ve mischievously posted you little tinker!! ?

55 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

‘Fell through’ ??- i’m assuming that’s an admirable backtrack on your post declaring that “Taylor Moore had signed a permanent deal with Southend, it was a done deal that would be announced imminently and you knew this because he told you to your face.” Yet he’s still with us. It didn’t ‘fall through’ it was never happening. And there’s more of these that you’ve mischievously posted you little tinker!! ?

Deals a long time dead, move on chief. 

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Seven pages of wild and random speculation over a rumour, during which the club is described as ‘rotten to the core’.  If the club decided, for whatever reason, that Chris Hughton was the wrong choice for manager, then I’m prepared to accept that.  I’ve interviewed for senior staff more times than I care to remember, and have lost count of the number of times the pre-interview ‘favourite’ turned out to be clearly not the right person to appoint.  So a choice was made, and we should move on.  None of you know what happened at the interviews, but I am happy to accept that the club felt that the new arrangement was the best one for the club, and I want to carry on supporting MY football club.  There is stuff written on this thread (and others) which makes me feel embarrassed to be a City supporter.

I think what I find weird in this thread is the number of people saying "none of us know what happened but it DEFINITELY isn't true and the club DEFINITELY leaked this and the club is clearly run by terrible people".

Whereas the far more logical conclusion seems to be "none of us know what happened so, erm, none of us know what happened".

All we know is Hughton was most likely interviewed and, for whatever reason, the club felt Hughton was not the right person. It might have been because Hughton was too expensive, or wanted to spend too much money, or wanted too much authority, or was the wrong fit for the club, or interviewed terribly. We don't know. None of us do and none of us know if @The Exiled Robin's sources are right and wrong. I don't understand why people don't just be open about that rather than posting pages and pages about how terrible the club is for a story we have no idea if they leaked of which we have no idea of the veracity. 

4 hours ago, Hxj said:

This extract from Yorkshire Live relating to Huddersfield amused me given the comments above, looks remarkably familiar:

Who is involved in the transfer process?

There will be some crossover between roles, but roughly speaking:

• Chairman Phil Hodgkinson and chief executive Mark Devlin set the budget.
  • Head of recruitment Josh Marsh leads a scouting and analysis team that recommends the players.
  • Head coach Carlos Corberan has final say on who he wants.
  • Head of football operations Leigh Bromby works to bring them in, as well as negotiating the exits of departing players.

Good find. 

For better or worse, it increasingly seems the direction of travel. 

Incumbent on managers to adapt to this tbh. Not saying Hughton can't but there will be quite a lot who can't and will find themselves slipping down the pecking order. 

On 15/08/2020 at 19:36, Allwaysred said:

Did he “ruin” WBA? Not saying you’re wrong, just interested to see how he could have done that as it’s pretty much been proved by others on here that Ashton was never a director at WBA despite what his LinkedIn profile says ... so it would have been difficult to ruin the club if he didn’t even hold a ‘senior’ position there?

Archived