IGNORED

Opening first games closest to August the 15th

City oz

Looking back in my BCFC bible have chosen some opening ones that I actually attended as a young lad and remember most of them quite well nearest the 15th of August being todays date. 

Many years ago mid to late August was always the start date for the new season.

August 17th  85/86 home to Walsall and a loss of 3 - 2.

August 25th 84/85 home to Wigan and a 2 - 0 win with Glynn Riley getting both goals.

August 18th 79/80 home to Leeds and a 2-2 draw.

August 16th 75/76 home to Bolton and 1-0 win and Gerry Sweeney scoring with a penalty. I remember this one as my grand father took me that day and we were at the front of the East End.

August the 14th (now we are getting close to the 15th) season 71/72 me now about 10 years old and home Millwall, 3-3 draw and my heroes Chris Garland, Gerry Gow and Sweeney scoring City’s 3 goals. Watched this from the open end corner close to the Dolman.

August the 15th 70/71 home to Sunderland 4-3 sharpie with 2 goals, Skirton and Wimshurst getting the others.

great years and great memories and i will never forget them.

and I will never forget the first time I was in Melbourne and had to wait TWO DAYS for the papers to arrive to find out the City scores

Not to mention the football highlights programme on SBS on Monday which went out at 8pm in prime time in Perth Western Australia

Us in Melbourne had to wait till 11pm and  I always fell asleep  before the programme started

Video recorders were only just about arriving in the U.K.

7 hours ago, City oz said:

Looking back in my BCFC bible have chosen some opening ones that I actually attended as a young lad and remember most of them quite well nearest the 15th of August being todays date. 

Many years ago mid to late August was always the start date for the new season.

August 17th  85/86 home to Walsall and a loss of 3 - 2.

August 25th 84/85 home to Wigan and a 2 - 0 win with Glynn Riley getting both goals.

August 18th 79/80 home to Leeds and a 2-2 draw.

August 16th 75/76 home to Bolton and 1-0 win and Gerry Sweeney scoring with a penalty. I remember this one as my grand father took me that day and we were at the front of the East End.

August the 14th (now we are getting close to the 15th) season 71/72 me now about 10 years old and home Millwall, 3-3 draw and my heroes Chris Garland, Gerry Gow and Sweeney scoring City’s 3 goals. Watched this from the open end corner close to the Dolman.

August the 15th 70/71 home to Sunderland 4-3 sharpie with 2 goals, Skirton and Wimshurst getting the others.

great years and great memories and i will never forget them.

Crackers Corner as was.

On 15/08/2020 at 09:32, Red Army 75 said:

City 4 - Blackburn 2 many years ago is still my favourite opening game of the season. 

That was a storming game. Another that stands out was a City v Pompey opener (a certain Guy Whittingham helping himself thanks to our generous defence). Also memorable for the "all action" start pre kick off....when it all err kicked off. 

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

That was a storming game. Another that stands out was a City v Pompey opener (a certain Guy Whittingham helping himself thanks to our generous defence). Also memorable for the "all action" start pre kick off....when it all err kicked off. 

3-3 Jacki with a brace if I remember correctly. Dolman very lively that day  :boxing:

1964/65 was a good for lots of goals at the beginning of the season. After losing 5-2 away to Scunthorpe on 22 August, City then beat Barnsley and Walsall 5-1 on 25th and 29th.  Nineteen goals in 3 games! 

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

1964/65 was a good for lots of goals at the beginning of the season. After losing 5-2 away to Scunthorpe on 22 August, City then beat Barnsley and Walsall 5-1 on 25th and 29th.  Nineteen goals in 3 games! 

1958/59

Sat Aug 23rd

home v Rotherham won 6-1      Tues  away v Barnsley won 7-4 Sat away v Sheffield Utd lost 4-0.

22 goals in first 3 games.

Finished 10th Goals for 74 Against 70. 42 games 2 pts for a win.

Archived