IGNORED

Dolman Stand - Happy 50th birthday today

headhunter

3 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

I have to admit that I worked on extending the then existing P.A. system in the Dolman Stand to the 500watt Whitely amplifier sited in the boot room on the side of the players tunnel. It also had a record player deck as an input.

This was in the day when broadcast expert Dennis Langley was the announcer in the Hospital Broadcast shed at the back of the open end near the "Grandstand".

Cue all the jokes but I can assure you the speakers could be heard in those days as we did extensive testing of audio levels particularly on match days with crowds in the Dolman Stand.

Remember it well

HOSPITAL BROADCAST SHED.jpg

12 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I’ve got to ask this before someone else mentions the old forum favourite. Did people  start leaving before the end? (I’m a Dolman season ticket holder and never leave before the end and don’t believe the Dolman is any worse than other stands for leaving early) 

I left before the end. I'm 45 years old but still did.

On 15/08/2020 at 09:10, headhunter said:

August 15th 1970  - the Dolman Stand was open for its first league game 50 years ago today !!

The opponents were Sunderland and a crowd of 17584 saw what was to be one of the most entertaining games of the season with City winning 4-3 [Sharpe 14,86, Skirton 44, Wimshurst 63 / Kerr 16, Baker 72,74].

City's line up: Gibson, Jacobs, Drysdale, Wimshurst, Rooks, Parr, Skirton, Garland, Galley, Gow, Sharpe. The referee was the bald-headed Keith Walker.

The Dolman Stand was Chairman Harry's pet project and as a feat of engineering it was a first - a single steel frame roof with no pillars. The seats in front weren't put in until the 90's and so the bare brick wall provided a harsh backdrop to all City's games in the halcyon First Division days of 1976-80.

I was there on that opening day as a 14 year old season ticket holder - Centre Block [D], Row H, Seat 9

dolman2.jpg

The good old days and Wow that team, brings back some memories, as does being there to see The Dolman rise from the terracing. 39.000 capacity our new super stad has some way to go, as does the current team and manager

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

3EB9078F-48A3-4520-806B-F7A84D44504E.thumb.jpeg.d5d65baab58e2948e44e9d437b3aa6a6.jpeg

Seen this Pre Dolman photo the other day. Must of been a reserve game 

Cannot remember that stand being there, just terracing, are those floodlights before the corner ones? and did we not use grass back then? ?

On 16/08/2020 at 05:06, Judda said:

I left before the end. I'm 45 years old but still did.

I was born in 62. I still remember the build of the Dolman Stand. Once built I always remember the old farts in this stand started walking out around 15 minutes before the end of each match. I can only assume possible traffic congestion or time to get home and take there medication.

Those years I always was in the enclosure in front of the old grand stand or the east end. 

In later years I did manage to get a free seat in block D of the Dolman sitting along side my wifes grand father he never  never missed a home match in over 40 years. Tom was his name and may he RIP.

3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

3EB9078F-48A3-4520-806B-F7A84D44504E.thumb.jpeg.d5d65baab58e2948e44e9d437b3aa6a6.jpeg

Seen this Pre Dolman photo the other day. Must of been a reserve game 

What’s really interesting is the state of the pitch. In those days, from about the end of September, the pitches would be mainly mud which was rolled flat before the match started. This was ok until play started and then it just cut up. In the spring, if there was a dry spell, the mud would become like uneven concrete. 

On 15/08/2020 at 09:49, Nogbad the Bad said:

This area was classed as the EE, rather than the Enclosure - it's the the open corner of the EE adjoining the Enclosure but separate from it.

It's just about the exact spot I stood for many years before, during and after the div.1 days..

Wasn't their a lady that used to stand around there that used to wear a crochet hat with alot of metal badges on?

August 15th 1970  - the Dolman Stand was open for its first league game 50 years ago today !!

The opponents were Sunderland and a crowd of 17584 saw what was to be one of the most entertaining games of the season with City winning 4-3 [Sharpe 14,86, Skirton 44, Wimshurst 63 / Kerr 16, Baker 72,74].

City's line up: Gibson, Jacobs, Drysdale, Wimshurst, Rooks, Parr, Skirton, Garland, Galley, Gow, Sharpe. The referee was the bald-headed Keith Walker.

The Dolman Stand was Chairman Harry's pet project and as a feat of engineering it was a first - a single steel frame roof with no pillars. The seats in front weren't put in until the 90's and so the bare brick wall provided a harsh backdrop to all City's games in the halcyon First Division days of 1976-80.

I was there on that opening day as a 14 year old season ticket holder - Centre Block [D], Row H, Seat 9

dolman2.jpg

I had a discussion on this site with Nick J. It was about our capacity during the 1st division days. I was adamant that it was set at approximately 42K, he was adamant it was 36, even though we had attendances above that in Div 1 and in cup games prior to that in 73/74.

This picture was taken before we installed the family section in front of the stand, which held I believe, about 2,700, think it was installed in our 2nd year in div 1. Which would put our capacity at nearly 42k. It was then reduced in subsequent years to 36k, then 32k, then 29k. all in a short period. The main stumbling block for the reduced capacity was that there was no direct exit for the Dolman stand, as it had to exit either through the back of the EE, or in conjunction with the open end, causing congestion for all three areas. Evidently there were numerous discussions with the bowling club about an exit there but no agreement could be reached.

On 15/08/2020 at 15:32, Fatalist said:

That can't be right that the ground had only 7577 seats in the Dolman and grandstand - leaving 32000 standing in the two ends and enclosure?

When it was built, the EE had a capacity of 15k, the open end 12k and if memory serves me right the enclosure was 7k, making 34k, but it was reduced to 32k. The ground capacity was approx 42k and reduced during the latter div 1 days to 36k, then 32k then again further. We had an attendance against Forest in the league cup semi final 1989 of 28k which I believe at the time was a sell out.

44 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Those executive boxes, floor upon floor of them, perched on top the old stand must've been a first in world football. Great foresight and a great view too.

The sponsorship revenue was crap though.

Love reading this thread.

Out of interest, did the Dolman Stand increase our official capacity to 39,000, or reduce it from a higher capacity - if so, what was the official capacity prior to the Dolman being built?

I'm also hopeful that at 50 years old, the Dolman doesn't have many years left in it anymore, and that it can be replaced with something a bit better.

It's served us well, but it's cramped and small capacity all in all. Plus it's a nightmare to get out of, regardless of the new exits.

I'd love to see another massive stand put there, similar to the Lansdown, and joined up with a massive single tiered Atyeo replacement. One of my bug bears with Ashton Gate as an all seater stadium is the wasted space between the Dolman and Atyeo, and the Williams and\or Lansdown and Atyeo stands.

dolman2.jpg

I was row A seat 2  (I was 18)

The Dolman is where I used to sit with my dad when he started taking me to games. We always sat right near the back, originally in B block until there were away fans there one game (I think it was v Torquay), so we moved to F block and that’s where we stayed until I started going in the EE when I was about 15. My dad stayed in the Dolman until the Atyeo was built, and then he moved there. 

Looking back now, that brick wall at the front of the Dolman looked quite odd. Wasn’t the design something to do with incorporating the bowling underneath?

I also recall at one point talk of putting executive boxes at the back of the Dolman. 

With regard to capacities the figures I remember after the Dolman was completed was a 37,000 capacity. In ticketed cup games such as v Leeds and Liverpool in 1974, the attendance was this 37,000 capacity, but v Liverpool in the league in 1977 which wasn't ticketed over 38,000 including myself were there.

I remember the following season 77-78 the capacity was reduced to 32,000. I think this was a general reduction in capacities across the whole of football and not because City had breached the agreed capacity v Liverpool.

59 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

With regard to capacities the figures I remember after the Dolman was completed was a 37,000 capacity. In ticketed cup games such as v Leeds and Liverpool in 1974, the attendance was this 37,000 capacity, but v Liverpool in the league in 1977 which wasn't ticketed over 38,000 including myself were there.

I remember the following season 77-78 the capacity was reduced to 32,000. I think this was a general reduction in capacities across the whole of football and not because City had breached the agreed capacity v Liverpool.

It gives the capacity in the picture of the first post at 39k. That picture was taken when we were in div1, or at least printed then.

We only sold that many tickets for those cup games, or that's all that turned up after selling all the tickets. I remember ticket touts outside for both games as I had to pay over the top for one, so I'd say lots must have been unused.

Capacity was increased with the addition of the new family terrace in or about the 1st/2nd season but, then reduced first to 36k, then 32k, very quickly and again down to 29/30k, coinciding with us going down like a stone

Archived