IGNORED

Stoke

BLRed

Keeping afobe on his wages, signed fletcher, signing obi Mikel.... ? by all accounts, sticking two fingers up to ffp and Covid.

not sure how they are afford wages for them when they are surely one of the biggest wage bills already and no doubt have lost a lot of money?

3 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Last season parachute payments. Doodoo or bust seems to be their plan

The first half of last season they found it hard to adapt to the championship league.

Towards the end of the season they showed some promise and what matches I saw them play on Foxtel they are a club with top quality players. 

Next season I see them as a team pushing hard for a promotion play off spot 

their wage bill last year would of been compensated with the parachute payments.

13 minutes ago, City oz said:

The first half of last season they found it hard to adapt to the championship league.

Towards the end of the season they showed some promise and what matches I saw them play on Foxtel they are a club with top quality players. 

Next season I see them as a team pushing hard for a promotion play off spot 

their wage bill last year would of been compensated with the parachute payments.

Last season 19/20 was their second season down in the Champ.  They’d appointed Nathan Jones and it didn’t go well.

Under O’Neil they were a very different proposition, easily mid-table / sneaking top half form under him.

If their finances don’t hamstring them, then definitely could be anywhere in top 10.

James Chester signed having been on loan so that’s a neutral signing imho

Morgan Fox from Wednesday, a sensible squad player.

Steven Fletcher (33) will get a reasonable amount of goals when fit

Mikel at 33 also is very interesting.  Destructive player in his day, wonderful screen for Chelsea CBs, but didn’t do a lot at Boro.

Big wages to commit to when you haven’t shifted many players yet, e.g. Butland.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Mikel at 33 also is very interesting.  Destructive player in his day, wonderful screen for Chelsea CBs, but didn’t do a lot at Boro.

Was actually talking to a boro season ticket holder about this. He said Mikel was excellent for them and he wished they could have kept him. No idea if that was the general feeling but that was his view. 

Not saying we should have been in for him because he’s 33 and won’t come cheap but he’s the sort of player we’ve missed for along time IMO. 

Stoke could be a very strong side next season. 

1 hour ago, BOSRed said:

Keeping afobe on his wages, signed fletcher, signing obi Mikel.... ? by all accounts, sticking two fingers up to ffp and Covid.

not sure how they are afford wages for them when they are surely one of the biggest wage bills already and no doubt have lost a lot of money?

It’s because their owners are raking it in from their gambling business. Highest paid CEO in UK

Can see stoke rolling the dice this year and going for it especially now their manager O’Neil has steadied ship and got them organised, couple of top signings away from a top 6 team.

If there was season to try & side step FFP is probably this one.

1 hour ago, BOSRed said:

I thought Afobe's situation there was virtually untenable. 

He hated being there, they didn't rate or want him and he'd be off anywhere to get away. 

31 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I thought Afobe's situation there was virtually untenable. 

He hated being there, they didn't rate or want him and he'd be off anywhere to get away. 

Different manager, O’Neil already said that he wanted him back,

Stoke are definitely my team to surprise people this year and can see them finishing in the play offs at least. Was very impressed with them post-lockdown under O'Neil and as others have said they have a ridiculously good championship squad on paper that's only been added to so far this summer. With a full preseason under O'Neil now I can see him getting the best out of them.

3 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Stoke are definitely my team to surprise people this year and can see them finishing in the play offs at least. Was very impressed with them post-lockdown under O'Neil and as others have said they have a ridiculously good championship squad on paper that's only been added to so far this summer. With a full preseason under O'Neil now I can see him getting the best out of them.

Really? Filling your squad with aged journeymen usually leads to going the other way IMO.

I don't think Afobe will be there. He hates it there despite O'Neil's sound bites, that's to keep the player value up.

Don't forget we had a deal to sign him on a permanent pre covid and knee injury. I would like to think we could still do it as he is a quality player when fit.

3 hours ago, Red Alert said:

If there was season to try & side step FFP is probably this one.

How do you figure? FFP doesn't care for the wealth of owners. Has it been amended yet? Notable that they've slashed their asking price for Butland.

3 hours ago, Spoons said:

Net worth of billions helps!!

Screenshot_20200815-125026.png

See above.

1 hour ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Self made billionaires with a home grown company based in Stoke.

Sounds familiar.

This too.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How do you figure? FFP doesn't care for the wealth of owners. Has it been amended yet? Notable that they've slashed their asking price for Butland.

See above.

This too.

They've slashed their asking price for Butland as he was shit last season and ended up not even being first choice I believe. 

They are looking the shift the 4 players I saw a tweet about (from your post I think) none of whice seem to be players that the Stoke fans are despaprate to keep, they should be able to get 15 - 20 million for them and Butland, so it's not as if they are up shits creek without a paddle. 

Just now, Spud55 said:

They've slashed their asking price for Butland as he was shit last season and ended up not even being first choice I believe. 

They are looking the shift the 4 players I saw a tweet about (from your post I think) none of whice seem to be players that the Stoke fans are despaprate to keep, they should be able to get 15 - 20 million for them and Butland, so it's not as if they are up shits creek without a paddle. 

That's true but if they don't manage to get rid, the EFL should certainly go in hard and fast. This season is a crunch for them. 

Parachute Payments- Down £15-20m as Year 3. I don't know the exact figures without searching. 

Loss limits- Down from £61m to £39m (difference between divisions, rolling etc). 

You're right they aren't key players and Butland has gone to shit but if they can offload and raise the cash then they're in the clear. 

If not, the EFL need to come down like a ton of bricks. They've moaned about the system publicly at least twice, EFL need to pull their finger out.

This window runs until sometime in October and January is the second big chance.

That analysis by me doesn't even factor in Covid, though that's a factor for everyone.

34 minutes ago, Swede said:

I don't think Afobe will be there. He hates it there despite O'Neil's sound bites, that's to keep the player value up.

Don't forget we had a deal to sign him on a permanent pre covid and knee injury. I would like to think we could still do it as he is a quality player when fit.

It would certainly give a bit of a lift if we could have him back.

Not sure if the option we had has expired with the end of the season - was a quite low figure I believe ?

While I'm at it, it's not beyond the realms that Stoke- and many clubs actually- could be under some kind of EFL soft sanctions, soft embargo or even increased oversight.

EFL never confirm if any of these scenarios are the case, clubs seldom do but they have a way of leaking into the media or alternative media from time to time

I'd say Stoke fit the criteria.

Archived