IGNORED

Abandoned club nicknames

Unan

5 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Anyone else think the Crystal Palace image looks like the Nazi posters of the Jews from the 30s?

Wow! That's unreal! I used to collect cigarette cards from the 20s, 30s, 40s etc and used to have alot of Ogdens, De Reszke cards, I think the Blackburn card here should be Bristol Rovers as I don't think Blackburn were ever called the Pirates.

My brother had a book of club nick names published in the late 50's / early 60's.

Remembering the name of their ground, Shrewsbury were The Gaye Men, but they don't use that these days. ?

Similarly, Fulham were The Cottagers.

Chelsea were The Pensioners

Leeds - The Peacocks. (Played at the peacock field next to a pub called the peacocks).

Man U - The red devils

I think Swindon are no longer The Railwaymen.

3 hours ago, Edge1981 said:

Watford used to be “The Blues” until they changed their kit colour. 

Thanks for that, I didn't know that; http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Watford/Watford.htm

In the early 1930s Watford's colours were registered as turquoise and white, a unique combination. As all records of the period have been destroyed, this has yet to be corroborated. Graham Brack recalls reading an account by a former player who made his debut in 1936 and who mentioned that this unique colour was adopted in an attempt to avoid the expense of having to buy a set of change shirts.

49 minutes ago, swindon fan said:

Originally, we were the Swindon Spartans - should revert to that, fantastic name.

instead we’re one of the Robins. Clubs should not be named after birds - unless it’s Vultures or at least something less Nancy than a robin.

As an ornithologist I can tell you there ain't nothing nancy about a Robin. They're feisty buggers and cock Robin's show no mercy if another ventures into his patch. 

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

As an ornithologist I can tell you there ain't nothing nancy about a Robin. They're feisty buggers and cock Robin's show no mercy if another ventures into his patch. 

Too true! https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/robin/

Robins sing nearly all year round and despite their cute appearance, they are aggressively territorial and are quick to drive away intruders.

Hence the impression; You'll never take the East End!

8 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Coventry City....The Bantams

Coventry's first nick name was The Singers as they were founded by workers at the Singer cycle factory. Rathe ironic then when a few years back they were sponsored by Peugeot who had been a rival cycle maker.

4 minutes ago, the frampton balti said:

Were we 'the babe' or the babes??

Like the former great nickname. I imagine its cos we were the new kid on the block back in the early 20th century.

I think it was because in the early 20th Century we had a very young team that punched above its weight by reaching the FA Cup final...

On 15/08/2020 at 13:55, Red Homer said:

Why does the one with the nasty blue and white quarters and the pirate have Blackburn Rovers written underneath it? Something else that the Gas have stolen?

I wonder why Blackburn were called the Pirates? I assumed Rovers got it from our seafaring history. Can't really imagine the landlocked middle of Lancashire to be a pirating hotspot...

16 hours ago, 22A said:

Coventry's first nick name was The Singers as they were founded by workers at the Singer cycle factory. Rathe ironic then when a few years back they were sponsored by Peugeot who had been a rival cycle maker.

And the poor buggers have to get on their bike to go to home games these days.  ?

1 hour ago, the frampton balti said:

Any idea why???

named after the local rugby team at Purdown called the Arabs who wore black shirts. I always thought they were named after the Arab pirates who used to stay on Lundy who attacked shipping from Bristol and who also used to raid coastal towns in South Wales/ South West to take away people for slavery, a Gashead corrected me on that one, but perhaps the rugby club called themselves that name after these pirate/slavers

8 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

named after the local rugby team at Purdown called the Arabs who wore black shirts. I always thought they were named after the Arab pirates who used to stay on Lundy who attacked shipping from Bristol and who also used to raid coastal towns in South Wales/ South West to take away people for slavery, a Gashead corrected me on that one, but perhaps the rugby club called themselves that name after these pirate/slavers

Rovers’ kit for their first season was all black with a yellow sash. The team on the adjacent pitch was indeed a rugby team called the Arabs. 

Incidentally a rover is an old word for pirate, hence the nickname.

Archived