IGNORED

Your favourite City goal

Fordy62

Yeh... I’m bored.... please give your favourite City goals and include YouTube link if possible, I’ll go first, I think that this is the best City goal ever. 

Granted, it was meaningless and he’d later go onto become zero from hero, but my what technical skills these were...

There is lots of obvious ones I could pick - Bryan or Smith vs United, Bryan vs Rovers, Bryan vs Swindon, JET vs Rovers, Noble vs Palace, Trundle vs Palace..

One from left field that I remembered was Brooker vs Norwich in 08’. Not an especially impressive goal, but was incredibly late in the game and was a really important win. Sadly no video footage I could find.

Another that I’ve remembered is Wilbraham vs Swinson in the 3-0 win.

I just knew after that goal we were definitely going up. He struck the shot with such venom, and I was very close to Cotterill in the Williams stand. I could see how much it meant to Cotterill and it felt like we’d finally got payback for November.

1.00 in this clip 

https://youtu.be/6-3wag9stNc

Can never remember if it was Cashley or Gibbo that scored from a kick out of his area....... closely followed by a Galley volley from a corner at Eastend end against.....somebody more recent Tinman at Anfield and Cheesley v Arse

Sorry the video’s not the best quality, and for the Italian commentary, but Louis Carey’s goal against Palace in the play offs back in 2008 has always been a favourite of mine. It was overshadowed by Noble’s worldy in the same game, but this goal was a thing of beauty in its own right.

35 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Yeh... I’m bored.... please give your favourite City goals and include YouTube link if possible, I’ll go first, I think that this is the best City goal ever. 

Granted, it was meaningless and he’d later go onto become zero from hero, but my what technical skills these were...

Was right behind that in the upper tier that day, one of those rare goals that’s every bit as good when you see it on tv as it was live.

Bob Newman v Newport - 40 yarder

Jimmy Mann v Forest - million yarder (in my head) past Shilton

Trevor Morgan v Chester - best headed goal I’ve seen at AG

Lee Tomlin v Wednesday - assisted himself and half volley goal

Joe Bryan v Man Utd - purest of pure strikes

25 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

Sorry the video’s not the best quality, and for the Italian commentary, but Louis Carey’s goal against Palace in the play offs back in 2008 has always been a favourite of mine. It was overshadowed by Noble’s worldy in the same game, but this goal was a thing of beauty in its own right.

Great little free kick routine - I think Gary said it was called "The Weasel" or something?

45 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

One from left field that I remembered was Brooker vs Norwich in 08’. Not an especially impressive goal, but was incredibly late in the game and was a really important win. Sadly no video footage I could find.

This is really memorable for me as well. I think he came on as a pretty late sub after being out injured (as he often was) for a long period - it was a header from a corner in front of the East End from what I remember? It kind of epitomised that feeling we could always get something from a game I had at that time!

21 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Tony Thorpe vs the Gas, 22nd December 2000.  No question.  Someone put the video up?

Love that! Probably my fave city goal,,, plus the hartlepool play off winner by roberts, and murray vs oldham.

maynards v qpr has to be the best city goal ive seen in 35 years or so.

From a technique point of view, I'd agree with you @Fordy62 about that Maynard one being up there. The goal we got at Blackburn, I think, at the end of about 40 passes a couple of years ago, and the winner at Fulham last year would be up there too.

Sheer goal of the season stuff, Jimmy Mann v Forest , 30+'yards and probably the sweetest hit I've ever seen.

But for memorability; before any one else says it, Christian Roberts at Mansfield and also v Hartlepool.

And any of those penalties JET used to take! I was at Notts Co when he first did it, right at the end and we needed it for a result, and I don't think any of us could believe what we were seeing

9 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I was there. The thing I remember most about this game is that there were about a million headers in the first ten seconds of the match. It was awful and I’m pretty sure they scored in the first minute.

Enter Peter Beadle...

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I was there. The thing I remember most about this game is that there were about a million headers in the first ten seconds of the match. It was awful and I’m pretty sure they scored in the first minute.

Enter Peter Beadle...

23 seconds I think. I loved Thorpe, such a good striker for that level.

11 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Enter Peter Beadle...

What a game that was. Beadle turned that game completely. The run from Aaron Brown and the cross was perfect. 

couple of goals other than the ones mentioned were Murray against Oldham at home when Oldham were so so good away from home. Murray ran from the halfway line from what I remember.

Lee Tomlin against Huddersfield where he flicked the ball up to himself. 

Christian Roberts against Hartlepool in the play offs, simply for the drama. His finish was cool as you like 

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

Can never remember if it was Cashley or Gibbo that scored from a kick out of his area....... closely followed by a Galley volley from a corner at Eastend end against.....somebody more recent Tinman at Anfield and Cheesley v Arse

It was Cashley at home to Hull.

1 minute ago, City Cat said:

April 20th 1976. Clive Whitehead v Portsmouth. I was in the East End..... priceless goal that got us up to Div. 1?

Me too & that would be my pick, though Donnie Gillies’ goal at Coventry in the 2-2 draw runs it bloody close..

Archived